My Windows Firewall is Totally Disabled :(

NaelAmer

Hey Guys, I really need help on this, i dont want to format my PC again :(

For some reason when i access my Windows Firewall through Control Panel, i find all options (On and Off) not even highlighted, so i cant enable or disable my firewall. Im using an administrator account for Info.

Dont know what to do :(

It is possible that the registry settings for the filewall have become corrupt.

First, I would update and run a virus scanner. I recommend AVG Anti-virus by Grisoft as it works well and has little memory and processor footprint. Secondly, I would download, install, update and run the following pieces of software: Spybot Search and Destroy (freeware), Spyware Blaster (shareware if you want autoupdates), and Ad-aware by Lavasoft (shareware).

You want to make sure that you choose Advanced configuration mode for Spybot Search and Destory and "Immunize" your system. This will add adware and spyware sites to the Restricted Site list in IE and Firefox. You will also want to "Search for Problems" and then "Fix Problems".

Spyware Blaster is a dedicted program that downloads a list of Spyware and Adware sites and also adds them to the restricted site list in IE and Firefox so run it also.

Should this not fix you problem you can try the following: Install a 3rd party firewall such as Ghostwall and then uninstallstall it, there is a chance that it could correct the registry settings for Windows firewall. Uninstall your network adapter, reboot the computer, and then re-install the network adapter; again this could correct the firewall settings.

My primary firewall is my router's hardware firewall. I back it up with McAfee Personal Firewall. It is easy to configure, uses little system resources and is stable.

Hope this helps.

Hey Guys, I really need help on this, i dont want to format my PC again :(

For some reason when i access my Windows Firewall through Control Panel, i find all options (On and Off) not even highlighted, so i cant enable or disable my firewall. Im using an administrator account for Info.

Dont know what to do :(

If you mean it's greyed out, not accessable with the mouse?

Then it's probably one of 2 reasons.

1. The service is disabled under services.

Rightclick "my computer" icon on the desktop and chose manage.

At the bottom in the left panel you see "services and applications", expand it.

Now click on "services", Look for "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)"

Check if it's running or not, if not, try to start it.

2. It might also be a policy that are disableing it for your user, eighter thru a local policy or a domain policy.

Start gpedit.msc and check the policy in "local computer policy"/"Computer configuration"/"Administrative templates"/"Network"

Check the setting for the firewall here:

"Prohibit use of Internet Connection Firewall on your DNS domain network" should say "not configured or disabled"

Then check inside the policy for the firewall "windows firewall" both in "domain" and "standard". All policys should say "not configured"

Good luck..:)

Reset policies (copy/paste next into a new .cmd file and execute it and reboot)

reg delete HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Policies /f >NUL 2>&1
reg delete HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Policies /f >NUL 2>&1
reg delete HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies /f >NUL 2>&1
reg delete HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies /f >NUL 2>&1

You have restrictive policies that have disabled the Windows Firewall. This can often be caused by a virus/trojan.

You can fix the policy issue using Dial-a-fix v0.60.0.15 (build date: 2006-06-27). Dial-a-fix will prompt you to fix any restrictive policies as soon as you start it. It's a very safe way to fix policy issues.

As for the virus, get Avast and scan your computer to completely remove it.

Thank u guys u all great, thanks for takin of ur times to help me, i tried all but what really helps is the tool of Tarun and wow at avast, i thought Norton was the best, but not after today, Avast Leads ;) Ty so much Tarun

Cheers All

Peace

Thank u guys u all great, thanks for takin of ur times to help me, i tried all but what really helps is the tool of Tarun and wow at avast, i thought Norton was the best, but not after today, Avast Leads ;) Ty so much Tarun

Cheers All

Peace

Dial-a-Fix is a sweet little combination of several common fixes..

And Avast.. :thumbup Yeah, much better then Norton/Symantec's retail products.. They are just to big of a target for viruses to attack..

I'd prefer examining the individual keys as outlined by Sonic and delete the relevant offending key. No need to use any tool to do this simple task really. I call it the minimalist approach. This way you would actually learn more about where the problem lies exactly, otherwise you're none the wiser next time. ;)