Selling Desktop systems with nlited XP

dottebart

Bonjour fellow nliters,

i am planning to sell dEsktop systems. For a cleaner install and to decrease installation time want to nlite the windows cd.

Now my question: am i allowed to sell the systems to customers with this modified windows version or is nuhi or bill going to sue me?

hope anybody can help me...

Dotterbart

Bonjour fellow nliters,

i am planning to sell dEsktop systems. For a cleaner install and to decrease installation time want to nlite the windows cd.

Now my question: am i allowed to sell the systems to customers with this modified windows version or is nuhi or bill going to sue me?

Dotterbart

I think it is the time to start thinking about donating nLite :w00t:

Bonjour fellow nliters,

Dotterbart

I think it is the time to start thinking about donating nLite :w00t:

i have no problem with donating or maybe licensing nlite, but what is with Bill. I mean registry hacks, patched uxtheme and so on. Is this allowed?

First Bill then nuhi.

So what do you think or know. In case we can get an agreement what do you think is microsofts statment on this, if they ever find out :ph34r: ?

I don't see what is the confusion, you can't repack Windows and sell them as a Microsoft product if you changed it.

OEM builders have a license for that and all they do is add drivers, few tweaks and sometimes hotfixes.

But considering the level of questions I don't think that you have a license to sell normal Windows either.

First of all I think nlite is an excellent tool for reducing the windows install. Nuhi has certainly done a great job. I personally use nlite and most likely would not have made the switch from windows 98se to windows xp without the aid of nlite.

Nlite is an excellent tool for reducing the windows installation. As such, it also removes parts of windows and it’s the individual who chooses what parts of windows they can live without when using nlite, but should an informed nlite user realize that they took something out after using nlite that it is needed, all they have to do is start over with a fresh copy of windows. If you give were to give a new user an nlite version, and they want something that you took out of their windows installation, their computer will not function as they expect and they will blame you for their woes. Plus Microsoft may get into the middle as you will not be selling a true copy of their product, especially if the user is unaware of what you did and were to contact Microsoft about missing features that you took out of windows.

If you want faster installs, you can try making an hd image of one system using Norton ghost or Acronis true and use the image for installing other systems.

Bonjour fellow nliters,

Dotterbart

I recommend if selling computers contant Microsoft for licensing info, then get a Windows volume licensing, and if they let you sell then sell computers.

I recommend you call Microsoft and get all the legal advice you can get because for them to annoy us with WGA, and WPA they are dedicated to stopping piracy. Be careful.

That's why it's always best to contact them so your computer selling business can be 100% legal.

Look what happened to Geek Squad because they were putting not proper licensed programs into customers computers. They shut down. Be careful because any computer selling operation needs valid licensing to be a legit business.

Am I right or am I wrong?

Edited by hyipo

I don't see what is the confusion, you can't repack Windows and sell them as a Microsoft product if you changed it.

OEM builders have a license for that and all they do is add drivers, few tweaks and sometimes hotfixes.

But considering the level of questions I don't think that you have a license to sell normal Windows either.

I really appreciate your work and have a lot of respect for what you have done but there is no need to get invidious. Of course the best way is to contact mircosoft but i am never going to be an oem system builder partner for the next 10 years or so cause my business is just too small. Thats why i tried to get some information in this forum.

I think my question isnt that ridiculous. What abour TGT Soft. They patch the uxtheme.dll too, so why should the method with nlite be illegal?

Maybe i expressed myself a bit unclear. I dont want to sell self burned nlited cds labbeld Dotterbarts Windows XP. I would provide the customer with the untouched original media, just the installation is configured with some tweaks, hotfixes and programms?

I hope that maybe some people here can help me with this issue or point me in in some other directions (Microsoft Information papers for reseller or something).

thx in advance

mfg Dotterbart

I'm just saying if you sell computers you need each one o be legally licensed.

If your just having a XP installation service you need to lisence. If you don't each customer will have a warning saying you need to buy a copy of Windows XP. You may be a victim of you know.

Exactly you just explained what I explained. Oh well I guess I'm gone from this thread and back o the forum goodbye.

Edited by hyipo

I think the answer is simple: altering the windows xp installation, especially in the context of resale, is a gross violation of the EULA. For us end-users, I don't think Microsoft is really going to care too much if we want to alter a copy of the CD we bought for our personal use, but for redistribution?

Unless you are a licensed OEM distributor who has permission to alter and customize the Windows XP installation I highly doubt Microsoft would look too kindly on it.

You might want to start here:

https://partner.microsoft.com/global/partne...ycode=worldwide

Edited by tkmadison

@dottebart, I appologize if I sounded too harsh but there is really nothing to discuss.

You have gave an example TGT Soft which as far as I know doesnt' sell uxtheme patched Windows so there is really no analogy.

@hyipo, sometimes I don't read answers in the topics in much detail, I just try to help and move to the next one, simply no time to cover the forum every day any other way.

But as such actions may unintentionally hurt someones feelings I'll try to be more careful or talk less.