Best graphics card for 98SE?

PurplePenny

We went to another local PC shop today and bought one of the cards from your list Petr (nVidia FX5200). The shop assistant kept telling me that it was a few years old and that I should buy a more recent card :P

The new card is now in place and things are running smoothly. It does support DirectX 9.... it is on the menu to install. Everything is faster (even web pages load more quickly) so I'm very happy. :D

Penny

I bought this card several months ago and couldn't be happier with it (not available now):

nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 128MB AGP Video Card w/DVI/TV-Out TI4200

I found that I couldn't play Black and White with the newest Nvidia drivers, so I uninstalled them (had to use Driver Cleaner Pro + Regcleaner because apparently the uninstaller for the newest drivers wasn't 9x compatible) and installed the 56.64 drivers and everything works just great. :) Even with my little 250 watt psu. ;)

I got a Sapphire Radeon 9600SE and it has been fairly good, I play GTA San andreas no problem but I'm going to use a ATI 9800Pro, I hope it is a better card.

You can use any new card that you can get, the better card would be a good choice cause the cards are backward compatible mostly so if your on 4x you will probably go 8x eventually so get a a good one now.

Apparently Nvidia has a new 512MB Agp card for cheap but Nvidia is p***in' me off so I'd go ATI 9600-9800 from past experience

Not that it's relevant now, but you could've tried some of the non-official 3dfx drivers available from this site/forum.

I did wonder whether there would be an unofficial driver somewhere.

Nice new card, though ;)

I'm very happy with it. I bought one for my husband's Shuttle too; he's been making do with onboard graphics for two years! (The problem with the Shuttle is that newer cards are just too big!)

I have a Rendition Stealth II 2200 3D Video Card(I need to Update my Signature) and I set mine to 800x600.Its the optimum setting for Windows 98 and its easier on my Old Monitor that flickers when I change to a Highier Resolution.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to ask a question about a new video card for Win98 as well. I'm not sure if I'm understanding everything in the AGP specification with regard to voltage and backwards compatability so I would appreciate some input from those here that know more about this than I do (read: pretty much everyone!)

My current AGP card is an ATI Xpert 2000 (I believe with 32MB RAM) based on the Rage chipset and I'd like to get something better.

I just replaced my dying ECS socket-A mobo with a PC Chips board I got from Newegg for $20.

Model M811LU v3.1, based on the VIA KT266A chipset, and it has a universal AGP slot (2.0).

http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Products/...e=Specification

I've read through this thread, especially what Petr posted with regard to the various Radeon & Nvidia series cards that should work with Win98. Onto my questions...

1. Is the Radeon chipset significantly better than the Rage chipset I have now?

2. There's a wide range of Radeon series cards that are apparently compatible with Win98. I saw what Petr said about the 7000 series cards being a good choice, but from looking on Newegg there's not much of a price difference between the cards so should I try to find something in the 9000 series (assuming that means newer/better/more RAM)?

3. If an AGP video card is "4x/8x" does that automatically mean it's an AGP 3.0 spec card? If so, if it's "double-slotted" does that make it a Universal AGP 3.0 Card? if both those statements are true, I should be able to use a Universal AGP 3.0 Card with my board's universal 2.0 slot, correct? The only limitation being that it would work at 4x speed at 1.5v only? That's the way I understand it from reading the AGP info from the playtool.com link that was posted earlier (http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html).

4. I've gotten used to shopping at Newegg and haven't explored other reliable options. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks.

Edited by E-66

I'd like to ask a question about a new video card for Win98 as well. I'm not sure if I'm understanding everything in the AGP specification with regard to voltage and backwards compatability so I would appreciate some input from those here that know more about this than I do (read: pretty much everyone!)

My current AGP card is an ATI Xpert 2000 (I believe with 32MB RAM) based on the Rage chipset and I'd like to get something better.

I just replaced my dying ECS socket-A mobo with a PC Chips board I got from Newegg for $20.

Model M811LU v3.1, based on the VIA KT266A chipset, and it has a universal AGP slot (2.0).

http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Products/...e=Specification

I've read through this thread, especially what Petr posted with regard to the various Radeon & Nvidia series cards that should work with Win98. Onto my questions...

1. Is the Radeon chipset significantly better than the Rage chipset I have now?

Yes, absolutely

2. There's a wide range of Radeon series cards that are apparently compatible with Win98. I saw what Petr said about the 7000 series cards being a good choice, but from looking on Newegg there's not much of a price difference between the cards so should I try to find something in the 9000 series (assuming that means newer/better/more RAM)?
Depends on your system, if it's fast enough to handle DX9 I would choose a card that supports that. 7000 series does not. I have a Duron 1200 with 384 megs RAM together with a Radeon 9600pro. The processor is just (not) able to keep up with this card. Anything faster is a waste of money.
3. If an AGP video card is "4x/8x" does that automatically mean it's an AGP 3.0 spec card? If so, if it's "double-slotted" does that make it a Universal AGP 3.0 Card? if both those statements are true, I should be able to use a Universal AGP 3.0 Card with my board's universal 2.0 slot, correct? The only limitation being that it would work at 4x speed at 1.5v only? That's the way I understand it from reading the AGP info from the playtool.com link that was posted earlier (http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html).
Should work fine, but make sure that the card supports 1.5V before you buy. However, almost all do. Difference between 4x and 8x is nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the additonal info.

Another question - what makes someone choose ATI over Nvidia and vice-versa? I've been looking on Newegg and there are roughly 6-8 cards featuring GPUs from each manufacturer that will work with Win98. How does one choose? Price-wise they're all within $10 of each other. I'd like to order something this weekend but am undecided at this point because there are so many choices. Any help would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...