Best graphics card for 98SE?

PurplePenny

• 3 weeks later...
x800 are supported but at beta stage and it's not clear but I think only AGP cards are supported.

Both AGP and PCI-E cards are supported.

I built a new pc with Opteron 154. X850XT, Audigy2, and GA-K8A480M-9(ATI RS480 + Uli M1573), it is surprising that X850XT works without major problem.

X800pro AGP works with older CATALYST, but it is necessary to install CATALYST 6.2 for X850XT PCI-E before downgrading driver.

However, Uli M1573 does not support SATA, because Uli didn't complete win98/me driver for M1573 (M5287 SATA Controller).

Besides, all USB devices(floppy, flash disk) disappear after installing Uli USB 2.0 driver.

Switching to Orangeware driver and USB 2.0 devices disappear, so finally I gave up :no:

Edited by halohalo

I built a new pc with Opteron 154. X850XT, Audigy2, and GA-K8A480M-9(ATI RS480 + Uli M1573), it is surprising that X850XT works without major problem.

:thumbup Good to know it works fine. That leaves us the option to build a totaly PCI-e option and still keep Win98 !

It's weird your USB 2 doesn't work. I use Uli's drivers on my mobo and they work perfectly under Win98. (though it's not the same chipset...)

X800pro AGP works with older CATALYST, but it is necessary to install CATALYST 6.2 for X850XT PCI-E before downgrading driver.

The Audigy2 does not have a 9x driver - nor does the audigy 1. How did you make the card work (if you did at all)?

The Audigy2 does not have a 9x driver - nor does the audigy 1. How did you make the card work (if you did at all)?

Original Audigy 2 has both VXD and WDM driver for Win9x/me.

You can find the driver from its' driver cd, not from CREATIVE official site.

According to the statement from CREATIVE, even Audigy 2 ZS supports Win9x/me, but I don't know if there is any VXD driver for Audigy 2 ZS, since VXD driver is stable than WDM driver.

However, not all products of Audigy series support Win9x/me.

For example, Audigy4, Audigy 2 ZS notebook and Audigy Value(Audigy SE) do not support Win9x/me.

I guess new X-Fi series should not be able to support Win9x/me.

Anyway, it is necessary to check the package first for the statement about Win9x/me support.

It's weird your USB 2 doesn't work. I use Uli's drivers on my mobo and they work perfectly under Win98. (though it's not the same chipset...)

Uli USB 2.0 driver works on GA-K8U-939(M1689 chipset).

Since NVIDIA acquires Uli, I guess they will never fix the USB 2.0 problem for Win9x/me :}

I fully confirm what halohalo has written (I use modified Audigy2 ZS WDM driver on my Audigy1, but it's also possible to install VxD driver).

Btw, Audigy4 requires at least Windows 2000, X-Fi family Windows XP.

Audigy 2 Platinum also works with 98SE + ME.

Some of these drivers may require extracting all files using Winzip 9/10 or PowerArchiver and then running ctzap/setup separately (trial and error), but most will work with 98SE/ME.

A2 Drivers [some work also with Audigy 1]:

Audigy 2 EAX 4.0 Drivers [7.68 MB]:

http://www.station-drivers.com/telechargem....522%20whql.exe

Audigy 2 EAX 4.0 Drivers [16.2 MB]:

http://files.creative.com/Drivers/Others/8...GY2_1_84_50.exe

Audigy 2 EAX 4.0 Drivers [6.34 MB]:

http://files.creative.com/Drivers/Others/7...DRV_1-84-40.exe

Audigy 2 EAX 3.0 Drivers [6.88 MB]:

http://files.creative.com/Drivers/Others/2...DRVLB030425.exe

HTH

Uli USB 2.0 driver works on GA-K8U-939(M1689 chipset).

Since NVIDIA acquires Uli, I guess they will never fix the USB 2.0 problem for Win9x/me :}

huh? ...well I know it's supposed to work... I was just telling you I don't have trouble with Uli USB 2.0 drivers with an other chipset (actually, M1695). :huh:

Oh, and you're right it's too bad that one of the last chipset vendor carrying about Win98 is bought by a Nvidia that only wants being Vista-ready!

@ MDGx: thanks for the links, I always thought the audigy 2 platinum didn't have drivers working with Win9x.

Edited by glocK_94

If you kept the same motherboard since 1998, then I would definately check which type of AGP slot it has. What the previous posters have said is a good idea: check out the Radeon 7000 series; we still got a Dell from 1999 with the radeon 7400 and it ran most games pretty well until about when Vice City and Halo came out. I also wouldn't go for a much higher end graphics card because it would be a little over the top for a computer that old. The chances are that if you buy an older model graphics card, you won't have much of a problem with driver support.

• 1 month later...

-hmm, good timing, I'm currently rehabbing an old (yet VERY reliable) Gateway p3-866mhz (bought new in 2000) for some (relatively minimal) gaming for a friend's daughter, and I need to get a better vid card.

-specs: p3 socket 370 866mhz, intel mobo 815EP chipset, 384mb SDRAM, win98se+98se2me

-current agp card: Riva TNT2 M64 (came w/puter, and *surprisingly* plays counter-strike 1.6 very well, but not so great cs:source, which is what she'd like to start playing, so new vid card is needed...)

-I have another, 3-yr old puter (p4 1.8ghz, sis 650 chipset w/512mb DDR ram) running win98se++ with an ATI Radeon 9800se ("soft-modded" to 9800xt/pro performance, using old 98-compatible OmegaDrivers SoftMod option during driver install and MUCH bigger VGA fan), and I haven't had any problems... I'm going to try the 9800 card in the p3, see how it performs w/cs:source, but I imagine it's a bit of overkill since the little old TNT2 card was able to handle cs:1.6 perfectly, and almost cs:source (around 20fps avg for 'source; not bad for an ancient card, selling for $20 today, huh).

-so, I'd like to upgrade that TNT2 a bit, somewhere between the two cards, stressing the CHEAPLY factor :whistle: , so as to be able to handle cs:source around 35+fps...

(I know, increasing the ram from 384mb would help, and is on the "future"-list, but I believe upgrading that ancient TNT2 would be the best performance/$$ bet right now...)

--any ideas/recommendations, anybody?

for cs source you need 64mb video card so id suggest an Nvidia GeForce4 Ti

i have a GeForce4 MX 420 PCI card that works quite well.

the lowest 64MB Nvidia video card is Geforce2 Ti.

i believe there is an ATI 128MB PCI card if you need a PCI card