2 minor problems with nLite

sleepydvdr

I love nLite because it has opened a whole new world for me. However, there are two things that puzzle me. First, when booting up and shutting down, I never get the welcome music or the shutdown music. All other sounds work. And this is for every version I have made, not just a couple.

The other problem is a software exception error when exiting apps. You click OK and a second popup tells you a bit more about it (some sort of a hex value is part of it). I thought maybe I have removed too much or something important, so I built a version with really safe things to remove (music samples, dr watson, games, etc - nothing critcal or even related to software running) and it still does it. On many different computers. It never affects how the software runs. It only does it after the software has exited. Has anyone else run into this problem? Any ideas if I'm doing something wrong with nLite?

Thanks Nuhi, nLite has given me something to play with for a long time now. It has sparked my learning of how to do so many things on the computer I would have never explored otherwise.

Edited by sleepydvdr

i have had the missing startup/shutdown sounds as well, only in the last couple of versions of nlite and only intermittently. but i add and tweak a heap of stuff so i can't be sure if is it nlite because at the same time i upgraded nlite i also got the latest ryanvm updates and bts drivers.

i only remove the tour, oobe and messenger.

I also remove the tour, oobe, and messenger. The only one that could possibly mess with it could be the oobe. But I still don't see how that could affect Windows playing sounds, especially if all other sounds work perfectly.

And Nero just game me the error message again. Here is exactly what it says:

The exception unknown software exception (0x0eedfade) occurred in the application at location 0x77e73887.
Click OK and it gives me this for the second box:
Runtime error 217 at 069BF452

Click OK again to finally exit.

Edited by sleepydvdr

Had the sound issue myself.

If your problem is the same as mine, you will find the problem to be in the tweaks section of Nlite.

Go to tweaks-explorer-disable beeps on error.

If you have this selected you will lose your startup and shutdown sounds.

Nuhi even noted that in the description.

Hope this helps you.

@jmjm003 that can't be my problem... i don't use that tweak.

@sleepydvdr do your errors happen with any program? or only specific ones? my g/f computer used to give errors like that on any software that tried to access the cd/dvd drive. it was nero incd causing the problem. i reinstalled nero leaving out incd and it fixed it.

jmjm003: wow. that may be the problem, after all. I have always selected that option. Now reading the hover-over description more closely, I can't believe I missed it. I guess just the name of that tweak alone sounds self-explanatory. I should have read the explanation more carefully. I'll test this as soon as possible. Thank you for pointing this out! I hope this fixes it.

Now as for the other problem, the exception happens with many apps. I just posted the error message of Nero, the one that had just gave me the error at that time. It has happened with these apps for sure: Nero, Firefox, PhotoFiltre (maybe more, I can't say for sure). Now that I think about it, it doesn't seem to happen with very small apps. Maybe it just seems to happen alot because the two apps I use the most are Nero and Firefox. Another little thing that may not be significant... it seems to happen when apps are run for at least a few minutes. If I just open an app and then close it, it doesn't seem to happen at all. Probably nothing, just trying to be as specific as possible.

I'm posting the Last Session.ini file below. It looks pretty standard to me, though. I'm going to try the other suggestion today (fixing the logon/logoff music).

Oh, I'm giving myself a pat on the back. I figured out yet another problem myself. I posted the solution in the Customizing Windows section.

[Main]
Env = 1.0.1 - 2.0.50727.42.Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1
Target = Windows XP Professional Sp2 - build 2180 - English (United States)

[Tasks]
Remove Components
Create a Bootable ISO

[Components]
;# Operating System Options #
Manual Install and Upgrade
;# Compatibility #

[KeepFiles]
msconfig.exe

[RemoveFiles]
clock.avi

[Options]
GuestName = ""
AdminName = ""
ProfilesDir = "%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings"
TargetPath = "WINDOWS"
temp_dir = %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp
AdvTweaks
isovol = WinLite
isoatt = -allow-multidot -no-iso-translate -relaxed-filenames -allow-leading-dots -N -l -d -D -joliet-long -duplicates-once -no-emul-boot -b boot.bin -hide boot.bin -hide boot.catalog

[Patches]
TcpIp = 16777214
UsbPoll = 125

[Services]
Themes,2
StiSvc,3
EventSystem,3
COMSysApp,3
MSDTC,3
FastUserSwitchingCompatibility,3
winmgmt,2
WmiApSrv,3