Windows Vista actual releases

winxpi

Windows Vista Build 5536 has been released they say its availayble from Microsoft Connect

for Beta testers.

Found on neowin

Filename

vista_5536.16385.060821-1900_vista_rc1_x86fre_client-LR1CFRE_EN_DVD.iso, 2,643.33 MB

Edited by winxpi

Hi,

Need a little help, I don't know if I'm just being dumb. every link on neowin for vista is an emoticon. Do I need to be registered and logged in? or am I missing somehting else. I would like to try this out, and appreciate any help.

---EDIT

I have an earlier version, can't remember build number. is st possible to upgrade? from what I've read it's not, just want to be sure

thanks

Edited by FaceMouth

im only able to do an install over XP home edition. what files should i add or get to make it so that i can do a clean install nothing else?

also, if i were to upgrade from 5384 to 5536, would i loose anything?

upgrading 5384 to 5536 everything you have will be intact, i am not sure i understand your first question

ok, if i take a new clean hard drive, and try to install windows vista, it will come to a screen requesting drivers and whatnot. there should be a whole list there, but its completely blank. to avoid that, i installed windows XP home edition on the hard drive, then installed windows vista on top of windows XP. is there a file i can add to vista so that it will have the drivers and be able to do a clean install?

Here's the latest possibly factual info I have, lol. The build I have is 5383, I have been up all night so forgive that I forget some things I did just 1/2 hour ago. sounds like bonestone has the same build, silimilar problems I had trying to install on clean, formatted, and whatever else I cuuld to a HD aside from breaking it. Then of course I noticed a pop-up or something saying that xp has to be installed first, I believe it may be on MS site as well. Also I'm not sure if this is just X64 or X86 as well. Either way, I found out they are definetely not compatible, correct me if I'm wrong. Digging around yesterday I did find some places to dowload, legal places, the new build. Seems MS is trying to hide them. Or it's just the link to order the kit, cant remember and I'm not paying 10 bucks since I have server 2003 R2. See how that OS does later tonight. I havn't tried to install vista in a long time, my pc was too slow then.

Also, I sttill don't understand the links on neowin, with the smiley's. is it some secret so not everyone can download? right now I'm so tired I wouldn't doubt it.

Let me reiterate again, build 5536 has to be installed from windows. If I'm wrong excuse me, I really hope I am, but I don't think so. Lastly, I signed up for beta testing a while ago, is the new vista only available to MSDN subscribers? hope not.

Oh yeah, I think one of the mods was talking about DX10. Probably got his answer, but I gotta run so if it's any interest, incase others may not know, they have a download dated mid August with most or all dx10 features. Looks real interesting, but right now I only have onboard graphics, lol. thanks for the help, I'll check back in a while if I find anything else out. Hope someone can fill in my questions as well.

take care and good luck visting,

ps you need at least 18 gigs (I tried with 12) free to install 5536. That's my luck. I'm gona install xp then try vista again. gl all, scuse my long winded ramblngs

just saw something. give me a while and I'll tell you if I lose any data upgrading, I already backed up everything on my drive, save you some time that way.

ok, one more edit. Maybe I don't have 5536. I saw a file that said 5536, so I just assumed lol.

Edited by FaceMouth

i do believe they stopped public downloads, im pretty sure its only available to MSDN subscribers, sadly.

as for neowin, its torrents.get bittorrent, download the torrent file, and then use bit torrent to download it. someitmes is fast, mostly its not. i've had 5536 going on bittorrent for about 15 hours now, 26.7%.

can't find a reliable web host with it. unless someone knows one, this is what im stuck with.

if anyone does, id greatly appriciate it. having 100Mbps is only good when you can use it lol.

maybe this will give you a bit of info for now. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

I'm about to install, I'm pretty sure you can buy vista, looks like I got a newer version. dig around in MSDN land. I'll see what I can find after the install. wish me luck lol

I'll reply on this post

I think when I originally tried a clean install, it would not work because I had a dynamic array. There's a doc. that covers setting up a raid, clean. I almost lost a bunch of data from a power suge, stupid apartment, it blew up my surge protector. So I finaly got it installed, bio is definetely correct. When I installed I did not lose any data from xp, but the HD is a mess, lol. That was the point though, to see how it worked. If not just me, hopefully I helped others a bit. gl to all, I definetely recommend a clean install, or you may spend days organizing files, lol.

take care

Edited by FaceMouth

This is from my letter from Microsoft

We are pleased to announce the release of Pre-RC1 build 5536.16385! This build represents significant progress incorporating your Beta 2 and 5472 feedback. We ask that you please download, burn and install a copy of this build as soon as possible. Immediately afterwards we ask that you report any problems you encounter. Please note the following recommendations:

Upgrade!

If you have the time, please install Windows XP Professional or Home and upgrade. This is the preferred test path for this build. If you cannot upgrade from XPSP2 then clean installs or upgrades from Beta 2 X86 are OK too. Upgrades from any other X86 build are not supported, not of interest to us, and should not be performed.