What burning software do you use?

glentium

I have long been using ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com/) to burn images (like the resulting ISO of HFSLIP). When HFSLIP is finished, I ran another batch file that calls ImgBurn to burn the ISO.

I wonder if any other is also using this...

As you can see from the attached screenshot, it supports command-line parameters to burn images directly to discs. Since HFSLIP provides for automatically creating the ISO by calling MAKEISOFS, I was wondering, again, if HFSLIP could also support a feature to call ImgBurn to directly burn the HFSLIPped ISO when it is finished. Another flag could be added in HFANSWER.INI to give user this option.

Just a suggestion, though... ;)

post-66411-1156484471_thumb.jpg

that would be better because that is console-base. but does it support most DVDRW+/- media (i had problem with the built-in Windows burner with regard to such and this guys mentioned something about it: cdburn problems with DVD)? what about compatibility with the latest firmware in new drives? BTW, ImgBurn is an active project and support the latest drives and media.

Edited by glentium

oh, ok. :)

whichever would be the best option. as long as it could incorporate well with HFSLIP. but if dvdburn use the same windows service, we could still run into incompatibility problems with certain drives. might as well incorporate one that would be compatible with most, if not all, drives (like ImgBurn ;), though, CreateCD seems neat also)

Edited by glentium

Personally, I'd prefer to avoid anything that relies on the XP/2K3 built-in burning engine. It needs to work on Win2K too.

I think the best thing is that everything is regulated from HFANSWER.INI and that HFSLIP assumes no defaults. These would be the variables:

NOBURNISO=

BURNISOCMD=

The BURNISOCMD variable should contain the command to execute the ISO burning. If this is not set or if it is empty, no burning will take place. If you want to bypass ISO burning even when you added the BURNISOCMD command, set NOBURNISO to 1.

What do you think of this?

Just checked.. CreateCD doesn't seem to burn CD/DVD images, though, I'm not sure. It seems to only burn directly from a folder with option to make it bootable by specifying a bootable CD image.. If CreateCD is incorporated, the MAKEISOFS would be skipped, and burn SOURCESS folder directly. But sometimes we need the ISO to test it on a virtual machine. Also, correct me please if I'm wrong, but CreateCD seems to be an outdated project. I would still prefer making the ISO through MAKEISOFS then burn it, that is using ImgBurn.. :)

I also do not like to rely on the windows imapi service. These are all, of course, my personal preferences. The final decision on what to incorporate depends on TommyP.

Edited by glentium

I'm kind of swamped for the next few weeks (or months) doing non-computer activities, so I really can't test & incorporate. A few Q's. Is your CMD smart enough to pick which drive has the cd burner?

ok we understand. better give priorities to more important matters.

i'm still figuring out how to automatically pick up the correct burner. Perhaps, some, like me, have two writers in their computers so it complicates that part.. but if a CD/DVD+/-RW has been HFSLIPped before, we could easily locate what drive it is in. But if it's a blank CD/DVD, then it would be quite difficult..

right now, from what I tested that works, the simplest solution is specify it in HFANSWER.INI :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm here to second the notion of reviving this thread.

I would also add that I use the cdburn.exe from the Win2k3 Server resource kit which is freely available to all for download. Once the resource kit is loaded or the file is extracted, it could be put in the path or called from the HFTOOLS directory.

In any case Tomcat76's suggestion of using NOBURNISO and BURNISOCMD to control the burning application means any utility that takes a command line will work.

Just for the record the usage for cdburn.exe if very simple and limited, and is surprisingly fast. It also outputs a percentage display as it burns and supports erasing prior to a burn for RW media.

C:\HFSLIP>cdburn

Usage:

cdburn <drive> -erase [image [options]]

cdburn <drive> image [options]

Options:

-erase Erases the disk before burning (valid for R/W only)

-sao Writes the image out in "session at once", or cue

sheet, mode (default is "track at once")

-speed Speed of burn, or 'max' for maximum speed

-imagehaspostgap Use if your image already contains a 150 sector postgap

The [image] must be provided unless the -erase flag is set.

If both an image and -erase are provided, the media will be

erased prior to burning the image to the disc.