Audigy 2 on XP64 with 4G of ram or more problems

tomb18

Hi,

I have been struggling with something for months now...I have XP64 and 4 g of ram. I have installed the latest sb audigy 2 drivers for xp64. I then install a few of the 32 bit apps that come with the soundblaster specifically the THX console.

Now the problem is this; If I do a sound test from the THX console, I will hear sound first from the left, then the left AND right, then the right, then the left front AND left rear, then the Right front AND right rear. What is supposed to happen is left then center, then right, then rear left (only) and then rear right (only).

Now, if I go in games it always says that I have a 2 channel sound board, 5.1 options and EAX are greyed out!

If I look at DXDIAG, it shows that there is no hardware acceleration available and EAX 1 and 2 and 3 are not supported.

Now, if I go into BOOT.INI and set /maxmem=4096 then the audigy works fine! All of the options are available in games and the THX console works properly. Furthermore the DXdiags shows full support for EAX

What is happening, is that if I use all of the ram then the sound blaster doesn't work. If I limit it to 4G max, then windows will allocatge I/O to above 2.8 G of ram and everything is fine. Except, that now I have 2.8G of ram instead of 4 g.

Anyone else run into this with 4G of ram or more? After all, this is a 64bit computing forum and I would think that other people must be running more than 2G with a audigy card!

Thanks

i dont see how its a ram problem tho. vry strange

dxdiag and eax is just a mixup, it does that with alot of cards.

you should head over to the creative forum, im sure they know alot more than we do about their own cards

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/bo...id=soundblaster

The creative forums are worse than useless. This question has been asked numerous times. Furthermore tech support has logged my call, and they said they know nothing about this and can't help.

It seems that the creative programmers never tested it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

OP is a genius.. this saved me from going insane

Now the question is ..who is to blame that FIVE years from then, on a current sound card (X-Fi Titanium), there is exactly the same problem?

Creative or Microsoft? I want to use more than 3 GB of RAM ffs its 2011!!