My Pictures Folder Pop-us ADS

Greetings all I was hoping on some insight. Here is the little annoyance. When I open the "My Pictures" folder every now and then I get a pop-up ad in IE. I have run Spybot S&D, it did find some things and removed them, I ran it twice more, as well as Windows Defender. After the first time nothing else shows up but the popup still appear only when i open "My Pictures". I notice that ther is a bit of a wait when i open the Pictures foler. Has anyone heard of this before? Also can anyone recommend a program that show me what is going on when i open that folder, I want to find out what is being run when i open te folder either program or script.

Also hijack this shows me nothing supicous

Any help would be great

Ewido and Ad-Aware are two other tools that might be able to help you find the source.

When you're at the windows desktop, are there any instances of iexplore running (without IE running).

Off the cuff, I think you need to do a Regedit & Find, Search & Destroy, for the "5-poops" in your machine...

I've had all kinds of troubles that I managed to solve, but I've never heard of yours...

If I had that problem in my PC, I would do the manual S&D's.. uninstalls first, then a manual regedit S&D for the 5-poops: "desktopmessenger, macromedia, backweb, shockwave, and showbehind".. flush them out of the system.. they're just parasitic advertising crap...

Then I'd run the same S&D for all the softwares I recently uninstalled...

Then download FP Win, and run a full scan... *Be sure to fully check out all the options...

Then run: CM DiskCleaner, EasyCleaner, Spybot, Registry Mechanic, and PowerDefrag... Run all of PowerDefrag's features.. and immediately replace my three registry backups with PowerDefrag, RegMech, and a Regedit export to the desktop...

Sometimes those goofy glitches are based upon a virus-like trojan in the system... not just in the area you notice the problem, but infiltrating and infecting much of the system... To just treat the open symptom, will drive you angry and crazy...

Recently I discovered this scenario was causing me all the grief... Think about it, and figure how much of it fits your troubles...

I believe, with this, I'm proving that we need to establish a clean registry, in combination with reasonable caution and cleanliness, and good: spyware scanner/blocker, firewall, and avs... and all the security patches available...

I'm Running W98se in a Compac desktop with an HP 3 in 1...

When I first loaded the new hp 3 in 1's CD, and switched on the copier while the computer was running, the computer crashed for each one of three fresh OS and hp reloads...

I did an intensive six-hour search and destroy, from the battery, to the outer ends of the OS.. through peripheral software atmosphere... till I found all the findable bugs living in my machine... The ones I couldn't find, hidden in locked files, I boxed with "Tiny Personal Firewall", by setting TPF to block all connections, with "pop up "and blocked TPF as well...

It wasn't enough... Even after the forth fresh OS install, the thing still had bugs.. and when I switched on the copier, the PC would crash...

Turns out, an enemy close relative, whom I didn't know was an enemy, presented me with a free boot floppy, which had a scaled down version of natas in it.. a version which all the AVS scanners couldn't detect.. until when I was erasing the boot floppy, as part of my search & destroy project, I stopped erasing the floppy a few seconds into it.. to do it later.. so to get on the Net now...

When I got back to the floppy, I recalled how the AVS scan of that floppy seemed to hangup for a few seconds... so just fer the H of it, I clicked scan again.. and the AVS finds natas in this boot-floppy, evil "gift"... I look forward to meeting him in the forest one day, alone, and begging for his life... He's lucky he moved across the continent.. and even luckier that there are laws...

I cured the bugs problem, by getting a clean boot disk from the computer shop, and by formatting-C a couple times.. opening the case.. pull, or switch-off the battery.. [there should be a tiny instruction manual stuck to the battery, given that it's a user device]...

In the case, I cleaned out the dust with a natural brush and compressed air... Checked all the connectors... Tied wires up off the board... Re-installed the battery... Started with fdisk, *twice... Loaded W98...

Then loaded the floppy of "Tiny Personal Firewall".. set to block everything...

Place a pillow on your chair, so you won't get "computer bum"... This will take hours....

Install & Run: "BlackIce" updates

"Cacheman" memory cleaner..

"CCleaner"

"CM DiskCleaner"

"EasyCleaner"

"Spybot S&D"

"FP Win" on demand scanner

"Spyware Blaster"

"PowerDefrag" all options

Create three fresh registry backups, placed in a desktop corner with "Eraser", as a just in case you need to restore from a bad bug hit... Caution!.. Eraser is an extremely powerful emergency-tool.. not a toy... Used wrongly, it can destroy your OS faster'n you can say "oops"... but sometimes it can kill a bug that has killed your OS... I'm guessing it was built in a straight Window OS atmosphere, without any peripheral softwares installed...

Now the hp copier doesn't crash the PC...

But I did a super silly oops... I folded that buggy floppy with a vengeance!, and trashed it.. when I should have mailed it to an AVS software designer... "oops"...

What has me puzzled..? is what did the partial formatting of the floppy do, to make the invisible natas-bug visible?...

Thing is.. Are you absolutely possitive that your machine is totally clean from bugs?..

Have you done an FP-Win scan, and SpywareBlaster scan, on your OS CD, and the boot floppy..?

Each OS install should be done with a new fresh boot disk.. made from a fresh clean install... Make three of them.. and store them far away from heat, wires, and magnets...

Be careful with Registry Mechanic... It removes parts of the OS that shouldn't be removed.. and can cause several nasty glitches... A super good tool, but know what it is you are deleting...

Or.. like the others say.. It might just be a single setting... It's your choice...