Installing Sata Drivers on HP Laptop with no floppy...

etjohnson81

Ok, so I spend 2500 on an HP laptop, go to install XP Pro and realize that I have no floppy drive to F6 the SATA controller drivers. Even worse, I realize I have no floppy on my desktop which I have owned for a year now and cant unzip the files from HP that require a floppy to install.

Calling HP was no help, they told me to live without the SATA support and turn it off in the BIOS.

Anyways, does anyone know how I can maybe add these to an XP CD or load them from a flash drive?

Thanks again

Travis

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=81169

download these drivers: http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=175

lookup your SATA controller on the HP website

ONLY add that specific driver to your CD via nlite (TEXTMODE!)

If it doesn't work - make sure OEMPREINSTALL=No

Additionally it could help to delete the HP Recovery partition (if any) and to revert the BIOS back to default settings - otherwise I had some problems with missing files during setup (curious!) or it won't boot from CD ...

Sorry to bump this, but i'm having the exact same problem :(

I have recently bought a HP laptop, and I refuse to live with the default OEM Windows XP Home edition install....yuck :}

So I put in my Windows XP Pro SP2 CD and..... Hard Drive not detected :(

I really cant be fussed with making a fresh Windows XP Pro SP2 CD with integrated SATA drivers, so I was wondering if I could do something like this:

1) Turn off SATA in the BIOS (There's a clear option for it - "For legacy systems" its says)

2) Install Windows XP Pro SP2

3) Install *THIS*

4) Turn SATA back on in the BIOS

Would this work? Or once i've turned SATA off in the BIOS, does it really have to stay off?

Any/all help very much appreciated! :yes:

John :)

I really cant be fussed with making a fresh Windows XP Pro SP2 CD with integrated SATA drivers, so I was wondering if I could do something like this:

1) Turn off SATA in the BIOS (There's a clear option for it - "For legacy systems" its says)

3) Install *THIS*

Once you've done that, you'll probably get a NO_ACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error. I don't even think you'll be able to install the Intel SATA driver and application with SATA disabled in the BIOS... It will probably say it can't find a SATA controller and abort.

3) Install *THIS*

Once you've done that, you'll probably get a NO_ACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error. I don't even think you'll be able to install the Intel SATA driver and application with SATA disabled in the BIOS... It will probably say it can't find a SATA controller and abort.

Ah ok. :(

I tell you what, i'll give it a go, and post the results here. :)

John :)

You could try an external usb floppy drive dont know if this would be available whilst runing setup though.

Regards

Colin Bate

I was thinking about this, but AFAIK, the Windows XP installer wont detect USB devices :(

Edited by *John*

I was thinking about this, but AFAIK, the Windows XP installer wont detect USB devices :(

Actually, yes it will.. Some things it can detect and see as drives.. Some USB floppy drives with the right motherboard and bios combination.. Not to get to specific, but I cant say it will work with all motherboard and drive combinations. I know for a fact it does work though.