ISO 1GB in size, now 1.15GB

RedDwarf

I have just made a custom Windows XP CD using nlite 1.0.1 including my drivers and the latest updates and a few addons and it is telling me that it reduced it by 800+MB and that windows was about 372MB and the drivers are 652MB in size. Now this is ridiculous as my drivers are only just over a tenth of that size. Has anyone else encountered this problem with 1.0.1 as I never had this problem using previous versions?

I will add this was not just on one occasion as I have done this three separate times with a very similar resulting size.

Edited by RedDwarf

I have edited it. This has happened repeatedly :wacko:

The forceware drivers are only 34.4MB my nForce drivers are only about 13MB plus a few other small drivers but these drivers in total cannot be anywhere near 100MB. So how is nLite making 652MB of drivers and how can I find out where it is going wrong?

Edited by RedDwarf

Did you place the original driver files in the root of your CD, for example? Where were the files located when you included them? I don't know exactly how nLite traces the folder tree, but it could be looping back on itself...

Also, try running TreeSize Free over the final nLite folder and see what's eating up the space! :D

The drivers were on my hard disk. They were in many different folders as the drivers I integrated were made up from a number of different sources.

Thanks for that program, that showings everything very well.

For some reason there are drivers in the Windows CD folder which I did not add. But I still cannot see where the 652MB is made up from, it shows there are 3 sets of forceware drivers and network drivers that I did not integrate so how they got in there I do not know. I will look at it later as I have to go now.

I will have another look and post again in about 14 hours.

I have tried it again, but this time I removed all the drivers and added them afresh. I made absolutely certain that I did not use the add multiple drivers feature to add all drivers in a directory. Yet nLite has still added all the drivers in the directory, the resulting ISO was 1.15GB, with drivers of 652MB once again. :no:

It looks like nLite 1.0.1 has a serious bug. I will have to go back to the previous version which did not exhibit this behaviour.

Dude, TreeSize will give you all the information you need. Expand the branches until you find the problem area. Before running nLite check the size of your source folder as well!

I don't think it's a bug in nLite so much as not knowing what you're putting in the folder to start... please, use TreeSize and figure out the problem... I don't have that problem with my nLites so... not much more I can do to help!

What's the largest folder TreeSize comes up with in the structure?

As you can see in these treeview screens the drivers are the problem folder. What is more, I did not integrate those drivers or folders.

The only drivers I integrate in that folder using individual driver integration with the following .inf files were:

3114_x86_13100_logo - SI3114.inf

Forceware win-xp-2k-9145 - nv4_disp.inf

Driver - WHQL Certified (1.3) epson28522eu - EPCACCFE.INF

And yet nLite HAS gone and integrated all the drivers and folders into the iso.

treeview1on8.png

treeview2ym2.png

It has done the same with the nforce folder as well. I did not integrate those drivers, nor did I select the nforce folder for integration. I did not even integrate all the drivers as when I have integrated the ethernet drivers in the past my windows install freezes and I cannot get it to continue.

treeview3uk4.png

Edited by RedDwarf

That's very strange! Thanks for the screenshots, they do help. It looks like nLite is integrating all the folders for any INF files that were chosen... a standard practice, but taken a bit far. It also looks like a lot more drivers were integrated...

Mind posting your last_session.ini file for this build? :unsure:

I do not have the last session for that run as I have uninstalled nlite 1.0.1 and re-installed 1.0 and deleted the Windows Setup files from that run. I do have a previously saved session which should be basically the same as that run had the same problem. I am doing another CD using the 1.0 build as I do need to get a re-install done and after repeated runs (and many hours) I still do not have a working CD.

Another thing is it keeps leaving in languages that I specified to delete and on repeated runs using a last session those non English languages are selected to leave in. :angry:

edit by mod: attach, don't post presets, too long to scroll

Woa, dude, attach next time =)

[Drivers]D:\Downloads\Drivers\3114_x86_13100_logo\SI3114.inf,Si3114_XP

D:\Downloads\Drivers\Forceware win-xp-2k-9145\nv4_disp.inf,0

D:\Downloads\Drivers\ADIMonitorV104.inf,0

G:\Install\iiyama Drivers\CRT Monitor\HM903DTA_up\HM903DA.INF,0

D:\Downloads\Drivers\Driver - WHQL Certified (1.3) epson28522eu\EPCACCFE.INF,0

G:\Install\3049XP 230.4kbps\mdmztw2k.inf,0

G:\Install\usb to serial driver 98ME_20011_2kXP_20026\ser2pl.inf,0

G:\Install\T Balancer API driver normal usage\ftd2xx.inf,0

D:\Downloads\Drivers\nForce\nForce935UnifiedRemix-[Guru3D.com]\9.35\AudioDrv\nvmcp.inf,0

D:\Downloads\Drivers\nForce\nForce935UnifiedRemix-[Guru3D.com]\9.35\Gart\nv_agp.inf,0

D:\Downloads\Drivers\nForce\nForce935UnifiedRemix-[Guru3D.com]\9.35\IDE\WinXP\legacy\nvatabus.inf,0

D:\Downloads\Drivers\nForce\nForce935UnifiedRemix-[Guru3D.com]\9.35\MemCtl\nvmemctl.inf,0

D:\Downloads\Drivers\nForce\nForce935UnifiedRemix-[Guru3D.com]\9.35\SMBus\nvsmbus.inf,0

There's your problem area right there. All of these are selected to be integrated. Didn't you notice these when you went to the Drivers screen? =\

edit: Wait a minute, that doesn't make sense either. You did integrate those, yet International is still in there for the nVidia drivers...

Do you completely delete the folder between uses?

Edited by Falcon4

No that is correct. Those are the drivers that I wanted. I have selected the individual drivers that are required and I do not use the integrate folder option as I do not want all the drivers installed (I do not want the ethernet driver as it causes problems for some unknown reason so I avoid it and install afterwards).

I have a copy of the windows source files with no service packs integrated on my hard drive and I delete the working directory which nLite uses each time and re-copy the source files to another directory so it is a clean source directory and has nothing whatsoever integrated.

I have now managed (at last) to get the drivers down to 73MB. I had to move the drivers to another directory of it's own in the root of the drive. I re-added the drivers from that directory and it has now worked :D

I still wonder why it was doing that. I will trigger a checkdisk of my drive as it has not been done in a long time as it never seems to happen after a crash. There is a strange directory in that folder called windows which when double clicked takes me to the same directory so it sort of loops back on itself. Maybe that was confusing things.

Now the iso is down to 576MB :w00t:

I finally got an install done and it did not go all that well :(

None of the drivers were installed, I had to manually install every driver when I got into windows. I did have copyurl install as an addon but that broke the install, freezing it at 13 minutes remaining when it was registering components. After I removed that it did get through the install. .Net 2 did not install either. So all in all I am not impressed with the results.