System Hangs on basic SP1 Slipstream Install

I just finished constructing my first slipstream disk XP-OEM-Home and SP-1,

No apparent problems with the extraction or integration process.

No apparent problems making the CD bootable.

No apparent problems burning the CD.

Basic slipstream at this point - nothing applied for unattended applications.

Boot up with the cd in the drive - it loads and begins the various processes.

Watch the stage display:

1) collecting info

2) dynamic update

3) preparing installation

4) installing windows

5) finishing installation

System Reboot

When the process picks up following the reboot - it appears that everything has come to a halt. No hard disk activity. No video - blank screen on monitor.

Waited 10 minutes to see if there was a processing delay of some sort - and then bailed...

Tried it 3 times - same results each time.

Any suggestions as to why the hang up?

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions -

I assume the 30 minutes is abnormal.....

Which leads me to my next question -

I was wondering about the need and availability of obtaining and installing dynamic updates onto my slipstream disk (assuming that this would contain the fix you refer to).

Is there a download site where I can obtain dynamic updates for HOME (everything I read said that it is only for professional).

And once I have the dynamic update - how do I integrate it into my setup?

Thanks -

I assume the 30 minutes is abnormal.....

On a Pentium 4 2.53 Ghz i should think so

after a clean install of windows with sp1 go to www.windowsupdate.com and list all the critcal up dates in the list take down all the 8 digit numbers and then go to

www.support.microsoft.com and look them up

PS. there is a more direct link to finding the hotfixes i will post it when i find it.

:)

But in my case, I don't believe the installation has completed. Are there not additional steps taken to get windows ready for its first run following the reboot?

Is my "lack of activity" caused by something I can correct when I build / burn my slipstream disk - If I have to wait and eventually go to windows update - that defeats the purpose of having a unattended install cd available for use....

When I install xp and sp1 in two steps instead of the slipstream - everything loads and boots without problem....

Thats what takes me back to the availability and use of dynamic updates so that I have a stable installation platform.

Just scratching my head...

If you include the hotfix for SP1 to fix the Lack of Active then it will run ok

Just include the hotfix in the unattended bit and it should wor just fine for you.

Searching KB and various HF sites - unable to identify anything that mentions "lack of acivity"

1) Can someone point me in the right direction with a Qxxxxxx # ?

I'm trying to build a basic install disk w/o any hotfixes - but if I need this one, so be it...

Hopefully, I won't have to wait for SP-2 to be released to see if this solves the slipstream problem.

2) I assume that hotfixes are installed prior to the reboot sequency (where my system hangs).

Thanks -

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem and fortuntely was only a one time thing, and installing XP at that time from scratch was purely for a sure fire way to fix the boot record (WinME & XP Dual; trying to recover the boot record unfortunately only got one OS to work at a time) because I had installed Windows ME last. I reimaged the partition with an image I made just before formatting and resumed normal operation.

It worked after that, and haven't changed anything. Give it another try via a repair, or format if you have nothing to lose.