HELP! Windows Prompts For USB Mouse Drivers

Ok, here is what is going on...

I have made a unattended install with nlite, and have lost the auto-driver install feature...ie: when I plug in a USB mouse or keyboard, it comes up with the found new hardware wizard and I have to plug in a PS/2 mouse/keyboard to click through the wizard. If I do a base vanilla install of XP without slipstreaming anything, when a USB mouse or keyboard is plugged in, it installes all the drivers without ever being prompted.... I need help fixing this ASAP! Please!

Attached is my 'Last Session.ini' file:

Last_Session.ini

Edited by discountpc

1) Don't post your last_session.ini, attach it to the post. No-one reads the forum rules anymore... oh well.

2) Was the USB mouse/keyboard plugged in during setup or did you plug it in after? If after, the new hardware wizard comes up. Or, you removed USB mouse/keyboard drivers and so the vanilla XP can install it but the nlited can't.

Sorry for posting the file... I have corrected it and added it as an attachment.

The USB keyboard/Mouse was NOT connected during the setup of both the nlited and Vanilla copies. The nlited version pops up with a new hardware wizard that requires user input, where as the Vanilla version will find and auto install the device without ANY user interaction.

I dont believe that I have removed any drivers with nlite, but if someone would be so kind as to double check the attached file that would seriously help me a lot.

I DO have the .CAT files being removed, but I also have WFP Disabled, so they shouldn't be needed for anything.

...but if nlite didn't remove the drivers, what other setting could be causing this issue?

@discountpc The behavior you describe is the default behavior, in my experience. Funny how Windows will install an old printer automatically, but require keyboard actions to walk through something as simple as a post-install USB mouse hookup. :huh:

@discountpc The behavior you describe is the default behavior, in my experience. Funny how Windows will install an old printer automatically, but require keyboard actions to walk through something as simple as a post-install USB mouse hookup. :huh:

Well, maybe this is being fixed for Vista :D But, it would be needed for XP too, maybe with SP3? Let's see :lol:

... this doesn't make since... Why would it work with no interaction on a Vanilla OEM disk, but on a Slipstreamed disk it prompts for drivers instead of auto-installing the "HID-Complient Mouse" drivers like the vanilla copy did?!???

• 1 month later...

Just posted about this in nLite section.

I have exactly the same problem with any USB mouse and web-cam connected after installation.

I have to press a button a few times and Windows installs the driver that is already on the system.

But the most ennoying that I have to do it for EACH! USB port with one mouse or one web-cam (every time I change USB port first it asks for the driver).

Is there any tweak for this?

Don't remove the CAT files. And try searching more in the future, it's been answered many times before ;)

Why? Which one CAT is responsible for this? Why only with USB? And why if I turned off Driver Signing Policy?

I left only one cat in the source and everything is working but USB mouse that requires to install for the first time when attached to different USB port. Could this behavior re-wreten somehow?

PS I used search but it's not working right for me :blink:

And I'm going to try deleting the last one CAT if I have luck this time ;)

Edited by Oleg_II

• 2 years later...

hi I have the same problem, please give me alink about @ryan..I couldn't find any answer about this issue..n-lite or rvm cause this..I didn't deleted anything with n-lite about drivers..

rvrm integrator>optimize system files section cause this.?

with n-lite I just delete some languge(chinese, twain, etc.)

here is my n-lite last_session

[Main]

Env = 1.4.9.1 - 2.0.50727.1433.Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

Target = Windows XP Professional SP3 - 5.1.2600.5512 - Turkish

[Tasks]

Remove Components

Unattended Setup

Tweaks

Create a Bootable ISO

Options

[Components]

;# Çoklu Ortam #