Copy2Gb

LLXX

Thrashing? That is not normal.

No download manager would allocate virtual memory the size of the file being downloaded. It's normally incrementally written to the disk, but there is usually a small (~2-4Mb) buffer to avoid constant disk activity.

It *might* be the virus scanner; I don't have a resident AV just for that reason - sudden unexpected disk activity is not good, especially when e.g. burning disks.

I agree about the resident virus scanner being somewhat of a risk while burning. When I'm burning DVD movies I disable the ethernet card and turn just about everything off as DVD-R's, although less costly than in the past, are not cheap (at least for the quality one's.)

Until recently I was disabling the virus scanner for a lot of things but all the paranoia about security these days has affected me a bit and I've been leaving it running for simple multisession cdr's, browser plugin install's and the like.

You know, I just had that thrashing when I was using AVG to make its emergency floppies. If I left a floppy in after it had finished copying the files I would get the thrashing. It would end immediately if I ejected the floppy. I guess AVG was busy scanning its own creation.

So I think it was the virus scanner as the Vista download completed fine and I burned the ISO to a DVD+R. Just in case, I also burned the ISO file itself to another DVD+R. I couldn't get Nero or Roxio to install on this 98SE install without an IOS real mode memory allocation failure on Windows startup, so I bought DeepBurnerPro after the trial installed and burned fine.

Don't quite trust it completely though, so I made that backup of the ISO. I don't see that it automatically sets the DVD to DVD-ROM booktype like Nero does. I doubt it does this in fact. The autorun and even double clicking setup.exe didn't open the Vista screen, but that may be because this is 98SE and it might not run within this OS. The properties say it is in UDF format, so I've got that much going for it. The readme's on the DVD open in Word fine and as far as I can tell all the Vista files and folders are there.

I'll see if it can boot. EDIT - YES!! Okay, so I've got Vista RC1. Gotta install XP first though. That's going on the rest of this drive, then Vista gets its own hard drive (like I have on my other PC with the Pre-RC1 Vista.

Question - I notice that the Close Program dialog box now has the bottom End Task, Shut Down, and Cancel buttons not fully jutting out like they should be. Could anything in the Kernel.dll patch have caused this? The buttons work, but they don't look as pretty! They seem to be the only buttons effected. The System Properties buttons all are fully GUI's and jut out like normal.

Because I wasn't certain what caused this I ran Spybot S&S, Ad-Aware, and AVG. I cleaned out my temp files and did Disk Cleanup, ScanDisk, and Defrag. I just ran System File Checker and just the mouse files have changed since I just installed Intellipoint 4.12. Oh, and the Kernel.dll of course.

The only other change was GetRight. Hmm. No, closing that didn't get the nice Close Program button's back.

Any idea what that change might have been caused by, or a fix for it?

Edited by Eck

what kind of DVD burner do you have on your machine, Eck? and does it have "buffer underrun protection"?

download and run the Nero InfoTool applet from the CDSpeed200.com web site. The InfoTool program will gather specs about your DVD burner and indicate whether it uses Buffer Underrun Protection or not. Many new CD/DVD burners should have buffer underrun protection enabled which reduces the interruptions on burning CDs/DVDs.

certainly, heavy hard disk activity may ruin burned CDs/DVDs even when the CD/DVD burners have buffer underrun protection enabled.

Edited by erpdude8

not totally correct, buffer underrun protection, prevents the complete break of burnprocess but reduce not the total amount of buffer underruns, even when enabled a small errors exist on this area of the disk, but burning goes on later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BurnProof#Buf...rrun_protection

a nice tool to check the REAL errorrate and Quality is Kprobe (but only for liteon)

http://www.cdrlabs.com/kprobe/

what kind of DVD burner do you have on your machine, Eck? and does it have "buffer underrun protection"?

download and run the Nero InfoTool applet from the CDSpeed200.com web site. The InfoTool program will gather specs about your DVD burner and indicate whether it uses Buffer Underrun Protection or not. Many new CD/DVD burners should have buffer underrun protection enabled which reduces the interruptions on burning CDs/DVDs.

certainly, heavy hard disk activity may ruin burned CDs/DVDs even when the CD/DVD burners have buffer underrun protection enabled.

GetRight reported that I won't have enough disk space for the file but continued to download it anyway.

Thinking I could fix this with your Kernel.dll patch I checked which version I had and saved it and installed your 2225 in command prompt only mode.

Now, GetRight is still reporting I won't have enough disk space when starting the download. Of course, I do have enough disk space.

you may want to contact the maker of Getright about the problem. contact page:

http://www.getright.com/contact.html

I use MetaProduct's Download Express program (FREEWARE, NO ADS) as a download accelerator/download manager. Get it here:

http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/MetaProduct...oad_Express.htm

a more powerful download manager is MetaProduct's Mass Downloader (Shareware) which also downloads audio/video streams and files.

other freeware download managers I've found on the web are Star Downloader Free and LeechGet.

Hey,

Just back from having some fun installing.

Buffer underun protection is there. The 2 drive's are a Lite-on COMBO SOHC-5236K and a Lite-on DVDRW-SHW-1635S. Both have worked fine on 98SE, XP, and Vista Beta builds using Nero before.

And they both work fine using DeepBurnerPRO now! So it's a Nero/Roxio driver that installs that is causing the IOS error at bootup. Having the Nero DriverCheck Tool rename the known problem drivers didn't solve the problem. Just not installing Nero or Roxio did.

I'm sure my XP install I'm currently building on the other partition won't have any problems with Nero and I like NeroRecode and some of the advanced Nero features so that's what's getting installed there. It's nice to have a program for 98SE that works (DeepBurnerPRO).

GetRight managed the download fine and the DVD I made with the Vista ISO using DeepBurnerPRO works fine (boots to the DVD, starts the install, etc). I just haven't continued the install yet as Vista's going on a hard drive I haven't installed yet. Microsoft's going to send me the DVD anyway, as I paid postage back when I signed up for the Customer Preview of Vista Beta 2. I'll just use this one if I'm ready before I get their's.

The only error with GetRight was that warning about disk space, but just okaying that and continuing gave perfect results. It even resumed fine the one time that it had to. Now I'm glad I installed it as I was browing in Internet Explorer when one site gave one of those persistant popup's and Yahoo Toolbar's popup blocker crashing Internet Explorer. I managed to Close Program box end task on Internet Explorer. While that was going on the download (and everything except the Close Program box) had frozen. As soon as I started Internet Explorer up again, GetRight jumped back into action and resumed the download.

It had been near the last third of the download so I would have been really annoyed if I was using Internet Explorer to download it and had to start over!

My XP install is going fine since I purchased another XP Pro retail cd for this, second computer. Microsoft is a pain in the neck! OMG! I now have 2 retail XP Home's and 2 Retail XP Pro's. All for 2 computers. I tried every freakin' thing that used to work but their security has been really tightened. Sheesh! How many hundred's of dollars do they need from little me? I know I could have called and managed a manual activation but I wanted the thing to activate over the net easily with both machine's. Well, now, $$$ later they will. At least the upgrade was on sale for $134. That's what I paid for both my Pro Upgrade boxes.

And, I am a bit of a miracle worker. My Audigy 2 ZS Platinum is working in MS-DOS Mode. Apparently I hit paydirt with this Epox 8KRAIPRO motherboard. Must have non-maskable interrupts, unlike most modern board's. Stuck the DOSDRV folder in there, added the Audigy 12 patch and the references to my ExittoDos.pif, and, like magic I've got a usable native MS-DOS for gaming. I use the cd driver from my Liteon cd and the mouse driver from an imouse program that came with my first HP pc. Can't believe it works! Got enough memory too.

I'm a paid GetRight user so that's the one I'd prefer to use. Seems to check the space when it begins and something in my machine is telling it there isn't enough. At least that didn't stop it.

You should chill out really.

that's a cheapshot, eidenk!

I had expected to witness a "battle of the 2GB+ patchers" but it did not happen so I have learned nothing.

I am sure a full explanation would not be too lenghty if it goes concisely to the point.

then, FORGET IT! since you say you have learned nothing, then get over it and move on with your life from this thread. The Copy2GB problem is barely a non-issue now under my WinME computer with or without the patch.

not totally correct, buffer underrun protection, prevents the complete break of burnprocess but reduce not the total amount of buffer underruns, even when enabled a small errors exist on this area of the disk, but burning goes on later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BurnProof#Buf...rrun_protection

a nice tool to check the REAL errorrate and Quality is Kprobe (but only for liteon)

http://www.cdrlabs.com/kprobe/

thanks for the correction, shaddam.

Edited by erpdude8

LLXX, have you tested the Copy2Gb Kernel32.dll patches the anonymous author made?

and I saw this earlier in this thread:

> And anonymous had said that the 137GB LLXX patch was not good because it

> was not patching enough code if I recall correctly.

Outdated! The remaining issue is about the 8 NOPs. LLXX's explanation does

not make any sense. The NOPs are in 4.00.950 to begin with, and most

versions, in particular 4.90.3000, saw major changes (and recompilations)

for power management and so forth. If obsolete, they would have long been

discovered and removed. My advice is, if the driver works, great - if not,

keep this modification as a cause in mind. That's all. And if LLXX is

willing to listen, she will put them back in.

Edited by erpdude8

LLXX, have you tested the Copy2Gb Kernel32.dll patches the anonymous author made?
No, nor do I intend to. Mine works, that's good enough.
> And anonymous had said that the 137GB LLXX patch was not good because it

> was not patching enough code if I recall correctly.

Outdated! The remaining issue is about the 8 NOPs. LLXX's explanation does

not make any sense. The NOPs are in 4.00.950 to begin with, and most

versions, in particular 4.90.3000, saw major changes (and recompilations)

for power management and so forth. If obsolete, they would have long been

discovered and removed. My advice is, if the driver works, great - if not,

keep this modification as a cause in mind. That's all. And if LLXX is

willing to listen, she will put them back in.

No, I'm not putting them back, I had enough trouble trying to fit the high-sector-count initialisation code in that tiny space. Any HDDs old enough to require the delay would presumably be less than 128Gb anyway, and if data corruption is noticed, original ESDI_506.PDR should be used.

Should've revived the Enable48BitLBA thread for that... stop going off-topic :(

Hey again.

Just wanted to let you know that it was the 2225 Kernel patch (used that since that was the version on the pc) that caused the Close Program box to have the, shall I call it, Windows 3.1 style End Task, Shut Down, and Cancel buttons. Not totally Win3.1, but the buttons didn't jut out like they normally do. They worked though.

I put back my original Kernel32.dll version 2225 and the buttons returned to normal. Then I used the Copy 2GB patch MDGx links to that installs version 2226, and the buttons stayed normal.

This was the only GUI button's that I noticed were effected by the version of the patch I used. (The latest on the first post of this thread.)

Any idea why it had that effect? And why the installer version doesn't?

"And the Beat goes on, on, on" I thought that improving 98-ME was to give people a choice over having to upgrade, not petty bickering! I use LLXX's patch & am quite happy with it, that we have an alternative patch is great, if they both do the job, what do you have? .....CHOICE.

"And the Beat goes on, on, on" I thought that improving 98-ME was to give people a choice over having to upgrade, not petty bickering! I use LLXX's patch & am quite happy with it, that we have an alternative patch is great, if they both do the job, what do you have? .....CHOICE.

This is exactly what destroyed the Amiga community, I have used both patches and would like to thank the modifiers for their hard work and time in keeping the old monolith working/improving, and look forward to future releases, svga project etc

Okay! I had thought something was screwed up. I didn't see how the patch affected the look of buttons, but I found it did. It's nice to know it was "by design."

I'm just used to the jutting out buttons. No problem. I'm glad we have alternatives.