Why use nlite and RyanVM ?

albator

I used nlite since the early beta version, and I dont understant why most of people ask questions about integratin ryan vm pack. It's a great pack for a unmoddified beginer xp cd, but for customised users it seem useless. I have a 180 mb nlite cd, And when I windows udapte, it only show me 4 relevant KB:

Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 for Windows XP (KB917734)

Update for Windows XP (KB900485)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB912919)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB896424)

The vast majority of kb updates in ryan vm pack refer to removed services and removes software. So it's useless to 'update' them. I suggest you check it for you self. You will see that most Kb are related to IE, Outlook Express, and server service (fro example, telnet server) or to flaw only localy exploitable.

So why use it with a slim down nlited cd ?

Edited by albator

Well nLite is not only to slim down your installation but you use it to integrate things or add things if you wish.Someone with a normal XP that used that would be benifitting when they slipstream it :)

.....The vast majority of kb updates in ryan vm pack refer to removed services and removes software. So it's useless to 'update' them. I suggest you check it for you self. You will see that most Kb are related to IE, Outlook Express, and server service (fro example, telnet server) or to flaw only localy exploitable.

I can't speak for that pack as I use Win2K but looking at the includes list I see what you are talking about. For the one stop shop crowd it's fine but for someone customizing their own install it's probably overkill.

I like FDV's take on the thing - so these IE, OE updates also update other DLL's - they are updating those DLL's with functions and procedures IE and OE needs to patch gaping holes in their software - and if IE/OE, etc are gone coompletely - why do i need the updated DLL in the first place?

I like Ryans pack cuz its so small (sounds dirty :P )

But yes, it only 35 megabites, all the combined post sp2 hotfixes are 160 PLUS Megabites

well u said that u also love xable's update pack.......

The vast majority of kb updates in ryan vm pack refer to removed services and removes software. So it's useless to 'update' them. I suggest you check it for you self. You will see that most Kb are related to IE, Outlook Express, and server service (fro example, telnet server) or to flaw only localy exploitable.

The reason is because even though the majority of files that get updated we remove with nLite, there are still files from some components that are good to have updated. I agree that for the general user it's great and advanced users could just go get the few hotfixes they *really* need, but I like using the pack because whatever files still remain after I remove components, I know they will be updated.