AC'97 sound cards

Hi,

I can install the drivers under a "98Lited" Win98SE for AC'97 Motherboard sound cards, but when I install the "ME replacements" I get the error icon showing in device manager for the sound driver. Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers makes no difference.

Has anybody else had this problem? They're both AMD motherboards.

Waywyrd.

Why'd you make 3 threads about this?

Drivers are specific to OS, WinME version probably won't work on 98SE.

Hi,

With regard to the first question, I 'got lost' trying to make sure I was posting in the right area.

As for your reply, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I was wondering if it was a driver problem/conflict, but wasn't sure if there was a workround.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I can install the drivers under a "98Lited" Win98SE for AC'97 Motherboard sound cards, but when I install the "ME replacements" I get the error icon showing in device manager for the sound driver. Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers makes no difference.

Waywyrd.

what kind of AC'97 sound drivers do your AMD boards use, Waywyrd?

also, what does the error message say in Device Manager for the AC'97 audio driver?

well the WinME sound drivers may work under Win98SE ONLY if they are WDM-based drivers. WDM-type drivers are drivers that work under Win98se/2000/ME/XP and they usually come in .SYS files and NOT .VXD files.

ex. the DFI CM33-TL mobo on my XP computer that uses VIA VT8601 chipsets use Realtek AC'97 Audio driver [alcxwdm.sys].

Edited by erpdude8

hello

got a amd 64 based board also with ac97 from realtek.

got also devicemanager problems, solution was for me NOT to use latest driver (3.68 works for me 3.89 & 3.90 not)

another thing i got with realtek av97 sound and win98... quickreboot ('shift' + restart) not works ... soundcard is dead until next hard reboot.

greets

Hi,

Waywyrd.

what kind of AC'97 sound drivers do your AMD boards use, Waywyrd?

also, what does the error message say in Device Manager for the AC'97 audio driver?

well the WinME sound drivers may work under Win98SE ONLY if they are WDM-based drivers. WDM-type drivers are drivers that work under Win98se/2000/ME/XP and they usually come in .SYS files and NOT .VXD files.

ex. the DFI CM33-TL mobo on my XP computer that uses VIA VT8601 chipsets use Realtek AC'97 Audio driver [alcxwdm.sys].

Edited by shaddam

Hi,

I found if I reinstalled the WinME version of my sound card drivers... everything works. Basically I suppose when making modifications using "98SE2ME" if something 'breaks' and you've got your original driver disc (which I do) then try Me drivers or vice versa.

Waywyrd :)