svchost.exe 99% CPU usage

Yeah, it can be MANY more things than automatic updates. I've never seen auto updates do this ever, but I've seen kaspersky and NOD32 do exactly that before (their services), for no apparent reason (clean machine and all). I've seen this happen if one uses a overly large HOSTS file too. And there's many, many more things can do that. So I wouldn't be so quick to blame automatic updates.

I figured out it was Windows Defender in my case. I turned off the automatic scanning of Windows Defender and it fixed the problem.

I have now had Vista installed for about 2 weeks and it ran smoothly with no problems the first week. After the first week it began lagging heavily and I turned down all visual settings to see if that fixed the problem. It helped but it did not fix anything as it still lags with everything turned to minimum. (my computers has a 3.0 rating, its a laptop and the graphic card is what scores the lowest).

It seems like Vista has a serious problems with CPU usage of almost everything, if a I for example go to www.gizmodo.com in firefox my CPU jumps to 100% usage the WHOLE time I am there, not just when it is loading. (It could be Adobe Flash in this case but that does not explain why Vista needs 20% of my CPU to play a mp3 in Winamp or even WMP). And my processor is a 1.9ghz Dothan chip. Anyone else experiencing problems similar to these?

Have you considered dumping those processes to debug? I can tell you, if it's happening in multiple processes, it's not going to be Vista's fault. If you dump a process while at 100% CPU and send me the dump file, I can probably tell you what you've got installed chewing up the CPU...

• 3 years later...

Have you considered dumping those processes to debug? I can tell you, if it's happening in multiple processes, it's not going to be Vista's fault. If you dump a process while at 100% CPU and send me the dump file, I can probably tell you what you've got installed chewing up the CPU...

I'm having the same problem and would appreciate any help!!! In my command prompt, I have the following svchost.exe PID's:

848: DcomLaunch, PlugPlay

924: RpcSs

1028:Audiosrv, Dhcp, Eventlog, lmhosts, wscsvc

1056: AudioEndpointBuilder, EMDMgmt, hidserv, Netman, PcaSvc, SysMain, TabletInputService, TrkWks, UxSms, WdiSystemHost, Wlansvc, WPDBusEnum, wudfsvc

1068: AeLookupSvc, Appinfo, BITS, Browser, EapHost, IKEEXT, iphlpsvc, LanmanServer, MMCSS, ProfSvc, RasMan, Schedule, seclogon, SENS, ShellHWDetection, Themes, Winmgmt, wuauserv

1176: gpsvc

1236: EventSystem, FDResPub, LanmanWorkstation, netprofm, nsi, SSDPSRV, SstpSvc, upnphost, W32Time, WebClient, WinHttpAutoProxySvc

1348: CryptSvc, Dnscache, KtmRm, NlaSvc, TapiSrv, TermService

3440: PolicyAgent

636: stisvc

2926: WerSvc