svchost.exe 99% CPU usage

Are you sure your computer is completely clean of malware? (viruses, spyware, adware) That's always the first check. Use your installed anti-virus to check for viruses at first, and then use TrendMicro HouseCall.

Are you using Microsoft Update as well? I've heard of people having high CPU troubles with Automatic Updates checking all the updates and not just the Windows updates.

Yeap it's problem with automatic updates and microsoft update too. Turn off automatic updates service and everything should be ok, but you should enable the service again to use microsoft's update site...

Edited by colornokia

• 2 weeks later...
Are you sure your computer is completely clean of malware? (viruses, spyware, adware) That's always the first check. Use your installed anti-virus to check for viruses at first, and then use TrendMicro HouseCall.

Are you using Microsoft Update as well? I've heard of people having high CPU troubles with Automatic Updates checking all the updates and not just the Windows updates.

if automatic updates is the problem, how can i solve it without disabling it? cause if i do, i'll get the security windows message.... is there any patch or something ?

peace.

Edited by edgewise

Just open the security center and click on the left where it says change the way Security Center alerts me. Uncheck the box for the automatic updates. This will get rid of the message and you don't have to disable the auto updates service when you turn off auto updates. Just remember to check for updates occasionally.

• 2 weeks later...
Just open the security center and click on the left where it says change the way Security Center alerts me. Uncheck the box for the automatic updates. This will get rid of the message and you don't have to disable the auto updates service when you turn off auto updates. Just remember to check for updates occasionally.

didnt work..........CRAP!

• 2 months later...

It's an issue with 'Automatic Updates' utility. Microsoft is aware of this and working on resolving the issue. There is also a registry fix to reregister a few system components. I'll post the fix when I locate it on my file server.

...I think you've all managed to scare him away with various comments about the issue.

The best way to proceed is to determine exactly what is consuming the CPU.

Note the PID of the svchost which is consuming 99%.

Open a command prompt and run "tasklist /svc". Locate the svchost with the appropriate PID and post what services are in it.