OPK Hotfix Preinstallation Guide

Preinstalling HotfixesThis procedure describes how to preinstall hotfixes for Windows XP. This process differs slightly from the implementation for Windows 2000.

To preinstall hotfixes for Windows XP

Rename the hotfix package to a suitable 8.3 file name. Setup does not recognize long file names. For example:

REN Q308387_WXP_SP1_X86_JPN.EXE Q308387.EXE

Make a temporary directory to hold the extracted contents of the hotfix package. The files within the package will replace the original files in the i386 folder:

MD C:\TEMP

Extract the files from the hotfix package. For example:

Q308387.EXE /x

Enter C:\TEMP for the name of the directory.

Open \Opktools\Lang\JPN\SKU\Pro\x86\i386\DOSNET.INF with Notepad and add this information to the file:

[OptionalSrcDirs]

svcpack

Delete the svpack.in_ and original file(s) that the hotfix is replacing. For example:

DEL SVCPACK.IN_, DEL AUTOLFN.EX_

Copy the replacement file from the temporary directory to the i386 folder:

For example:

COPY C:\TEMP\AUTOLFN.EXE C:\Opktools\Lang\JPN\SKU\Pro\x86\i386\AUTOLFN.EXE

Create a SVCPACK folder in \Opktools\Lang\JPN\SKU\Pro\x86\i386.

Create a new \Opktools\Lang\JPN\SKU\Pro\x86\i386\SVCPACK.INF with this content:

For example:

[Version]

Signature = $Windows NT$

BuildNumber = 2600

MajorVersion = 5

MinorVersion = 1

[setupData]

CatalogSubDir = i386\svcpack

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]

sp1.cat

[setupHotfixesToRun]

Q308387.exe /q /n /z

Copy SP1.CAT from C:\TEMP\UPDATE to the C:\Opktools\Lang\JPN\SKU\Pro\x86\i386\SVCPACK folder:

For example:

COPY C:\TEMP\UPDATE\SP1.CAT C:\Opktools\Lang\JPN\SKU\Pro\x86\i386\SVCPACK\SP1.CAT

Copy Q308387.EXE to the C:\Opktools\Lang\JPN\SKU\Pro\x86\i386\SVCPACK folder:

For example:

COPY Q308387.EXE C:\Opktools\Lang\JPN\SKU\Pro\x86\i386\SVCPACK\Q308387.EXE

There is a addendum to this that only requires the actual hotfix packages placed in the SVCPACK folder without the extract and placing in the dll/sys/etc files in the i386 root

conversely the files can be extracted and placed in the folder root and their older counterparts removed with only the cat files required to remain in the SVCPACK folder with resolves the space problems for those without dvr drives who want all the update files

NOTE: the current sp2 rollup (build 1228) is an official internal build and can be used with the kernal rollup to make a validated sp2 build of xp

extract the applicable files from the kernal rollup and integrate with the sp2 package, before doing the slipstream and should bring you upto current build status of 4/29/03 for sp2

there are no logged conditions or caveats on this particular build 1228 for sp2

Second addendum: to use this hotfix prep. the files must be named to numeric order, ie js56.exe will be invalid and out of sequence if written by a later hotfix and qchain will NOT update to sequential order. so look in the extracted exe for the q number and rename to those numbers

to make the sort list to use with the files

use the command line dir <driveletter\folder> *.* >filelist.txt

to generate the correct sort order to paste to the inf file

have fun :)

"conversely the files can be extracted and placed in the folder root and their older counterparts removed with only the cat files required to remain in the SVCPACK folder with resolves the space problems for those without dvr drives who want all the update files"

So I extract the hotfixes and replace the older files in the i386 directory with them and place the .cat files in the svcpack folder and this should work?