W98_Slip: genuine slipstreaming for windows 9x

Thanks for the info glaurung and replying to my PM's :thumbup

My biggest concern has been that I wanted to ensure ESDI_506.PDR (LLXX's edited Version .2225) was slipstreamed into my Windows 98 SE cd allowing Win98 to support Hard Disks bigger than 137GB. So if I just copy that file into my Win98 folder and burn it to a disk it should slipstream into the installation replacing the original version?

If just updating the original files with newer versions was all that was required your slipstream method would be perfect. Unfortunately many updates need to include additional files.

The 2nd best option would be a 1 off post install update that installs IE6SP1 and cumulative updates, DirectX 9.0c (December 2006), Windows Media Player 9 and all of Windows 98 SE's hotfixes (Official and Unofficial)

Microsoft produced an update cd in 2004 that did this. If it could be updated with all the future releases it could be perfect. Read more on the CD here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/MS-Windows-Secur...04-t108981.html

Thanks for the info glaurung and replying to my PM's :thumbup

My biggest concern has been that I wanted to ensure ESDI_506.PDR (LLXX's edited Version .2225) was slipstreamed into my Windows 98 SE cd allowing Win98 to support Hard Disks bigger than 137GB. So if I just copy that file into my Win98 folder and burn it to a disk it should slipstream into the installation replacing the original version?

Yes, it should.

As you say, adding additional files is the tricky part. For files that don't need registry entries, like tweakui or extra fonts, custom.inf is the way to go. For files that do need registry entries, the easiest route is to copy the files with custom.inf and insert the registry entries with msbatch.inf (for some reason, I have never been able to get MSbatch to both create registry entries and copy files; don't know why, but it would do one or the other but not both). Msbatch can also automatically invoke exes to run after setup ends, which lets you integrate IE and DX9 and the like. The "Unattended Boot CD for windows 98" project uses that method, although I don't know if they use custom.inf or not.

The reason I wrote w98_slip was not because no other options existed, but basically just an attempt to make the setup directory be more orderly and neat, and also because, having seen the hfslip project for win2k/xp, I wanted to see if it could be done.

Hey everyone,

I'm playing with this slipstreamer a bit at the moment - congratulations glaurung - it's incredibly useful! I wanted to make an all-in boot disc for 98 - 98SE2ME, 98MP10, kernelEx, USP etc. But, if you don't slipstream them natively, then tend to take up a rather large amount of space, which is a pain as I'm trying to shoehorn it onto an already crammed multiboot dvd! So I was wondering if anyone had looked at any of this?

At first, I'm looking at 98SE2ME as it seems the majority of the files for that are simply replacements - so I take it they could be put in the updates folder, and then run the slipstreamer and install as normal?

Anyone else interested in something similar?

Wrayal

Hey everyone,

I'm playing with this slipstreamer a bit at the moment - congratulations glaurung - it's incredibly useful! I wanted to make an all-in boot disc for 98 - 98SE2ME, 98MP10, kernelEx, USP etc. But, if you don't slipstream them natively, then tend to take up a rather large amount of space, which is a pain as I'm trying to shoehorn it onto an already crammed multiboot dvd! So I was wondering if anyone had looked at any of this?

At first, I'm looking at 98SE2ME as it seems the majority of the files for that are simply replacements - so I take it they could be put in the updates folder, and then run the slipstreamer and install as normal?

Anyone else interested in something similar?

Wrayal

Thanks, I'm glad you're finding it useful.

The 98se2ME thing: look carefully at the installation scripts for that; IIRC, it uses a batch file and some inf or reg files, so figuring out what's going on shouldn't be too hard.

Files that are simply copied over will probably work if you dump them in the updates folder. Files that need to be self-registered, and files that need separate registry entires, might pose a problem. You'll have to check to see if 98se self-registers the same files that ME self-registers, and then you'll need to make sure you add in any missing registry entires. 98lite's method of adding extra registry entires ought to work for you -- add a new entry in setuppp to invoke a new .inf file, and use the new file to do all the extra stuff that needs doing (leaving it in the install directory alongside msbatch.inf). Judicious editing of the 98se2ME installation scripts should make creating that file fairly easy.

• 1 month later...

Microsoft in their er "wisdom" did list the files that were in the CAB files on the Windows 98 SE CD, which might help those considering a large file replacement.

The relevant Knowledge base documents are:-

238664 Windows 98 Second Edition CD-ROM Directory List 1

238666 Windows 98 Second Edition CD-ROM Directory List 2

238668 Windows 98 Second Edition CD-ROM Directory List 3

238728 Windows 98 Second Edition CD-ROM Directory List 4

238729 Windows 98 Second Edition CD-ROM Directory List 5

238730 Windows 98 Second Edition CD-ROM Directory List 6

238749 Windows 98 Second Edition CD-ROM Directory List 7

238767 Windows 98 Second Edition CD-ROM Directory List 8

238771 Windows 98 Second Edition CD-ROM Directory List 9

238775 Windows 98 Second Edition CD-ROM Directory List 10

238809 Windows 98 Second Edition CD-ROM Directory List 11

238811 Windows 98 Second Edition CD-ROM Directory List 12

238813 Windows 98 Second Edition CD-ROM Directory List 13

239011 Windows 98 Second Edition CD-ROM Directory List 14

If there is a typo - one document did lead to another.

Hope this is of use to someone.

Edited by niknak

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...