Remote Desktop vs VPN vs non-MS apps

ardi

Remote Desktop won't let me connect and control computer running XP Home. Couple of questions: Does VPN solve this problem?

How about non-MS software? Is there a good applicaiton out there that will work with XP Home and computers on a remote router?

Appriciate your insights and experience

Edited by ardi

UltraVNC looked good, and it works with XP Home edition, but it seems to me that it has some of the defects of XP's Remote Desktop: you have to know the IP, plus you have to set up and maintain the router ports. One of the problems I was having was that ISP's (especially AT&T's DSL service) change IPs a lot--sometimes daily. Big pain, when you don't have a permanent IP. Basically, every time someone has a problem you fail to connect then have to troubleshoot. I'm getting too old for that.

Another one (free) that I'm looking at is LogMeIn. The UI sucks, documentation is poor, and I've screwed up my accounts already, BUT, when you get used to it. it does all the necessary stuff. All the remote computer has to have is a browser. No router settings to deal with, no IP's to know. I don't yet know about speed and other surprises down the road, so I'd like to hear from others about it.

I'm going to look at Dameware next.

Thanks for the inputs

ardi

Yipes! Dameware is expensive, (100's) not meant for the family's administrator.

Scratch that one

DameWare NT Utilities offers far more than remote control functions. I've been using it for about 5 years now and honestly couldn't imagine being without it. I don't know how many computers you are supporting but if it's in the ballpark of a couple dozen, I'd take another look at what DameWare is capable of.

One of the problems I was having was that ISP's (especially AT&T's DSL service) change IPs a lot--sometimes daily. Big pain, when you don't have a permanent IP.

Could try one of the free dynamic dns services?

A VPN would indeed solve these problems - it's just like being on that network (locally connected). Combined with a DynDNS account (tons of them these days), and you're set. VPN in (using DynDNS) and just use PC name to connect. No silly port forwarding and exposing stuff you shouldn't to the internet - just the bare minimum required, which is also well secured and encrypted.

Personally, I use plain terminal services (remote desktop) for the most part, along with ultravnc (or sometimes tightvnc/realvnc) - mainly depending if I want to log in or remotely control someone else's session. TS is pretty hard to beat when it comes to speed over slow links (well, Citrix is quite a bit better, but insanely expensive and total overkill except for large corporate terminal servers). Dameware's OK (we use that one also at work), but I fail to see any real advantage to it - somewhat like VNC, except it's not free. As far as PC Anywhere goes, it's WAY at the bottom of my list...

There's a bunch of others like LogMeIn and Copilot, but I've never bothered with them.

There's a very similar thread going on now in the software hangout, where I reccomended both Hamachi and Logmein. So, for this thread, I will reccomend both Hamachi and Logmein :D . Seriously though they're both great programs, and are both free. Can't go wrong at least trying them! They're both very adept with handling firewalls; I've had little to no problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello-this thread seems to be OK for the following question. I've diligently searched the Internet to no avail to find out how to use Dameware's Mini Remote Control over the Internet. A couple of posts explain using VNC but nothing for Dameware. The only comment I found was to user VPN if you use the Internet. I do not have any Domain Controllers and Dameware has been tested over the LAN but the next step, remote control over the Internet, is where I'm stuck. Have DSL connection and PC's are behind Sunbelt firewall. I can configure the firewall as needed but I can't seem to find how to request a connection that would specify the Internet (and then the desired PC I guess.) Hope this is clear and TIA for any help. :whistle:

Scratch this - would delete it if I could (searched posting to no avail). Found out how to do this - sorry - Admin may certainly delete this clutter. :wub:

Edited by GoobieDoobie

I chose to use UltraVNC + free dynamic IP service. I have to remotely access PCs about 4-7 times a week, and of all the solutions I tried its my favorite.

UltraVNC lets you connect through a webbrowser, has optional encryption, and does file tranfsers. Plus you can restart the remote PC and then use it to log back into a user account. Plus you can share control with a remote user for remote tutoring.

You can also setup a Single Click UltraVNC program. One click on the program connects the PC to your VNC viewer. Great for setting up UltraVNC remotely when the client can't figure out how to install UltraVNC or configure their Router/Firewall to accept incomming connections.