WD Caviar SE16 320GB 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Aight folks, again looking for opinions and thoughts about hardware, this time a HD from Newegg. As everyone, I crave more space. As of now I have the SATA150 74gb Raptor. I was originally dead set on the 500gb SE 16, but jcarle enlightened me to the fact they are to overpriced per gb, and I could just RAID 2x250 for cheaper. Well, for now I think 320GB will do me just fine. Anyone have this drive? Recommendations?

If no one disagrees or has a better solution I'm buying one Monday!! :thumbup

Hmmmmm.... I guess I've just always been a fan of WD. So you guys really think I'll be better off with the Seagate as far as speed and reliability? All the reviews for it sound excellent, but then again so do all the WD reviews..

These drives sit vertically instead of horizontally? Does one need anything extra to install them? I've been looking for another hdd myself and I think this is where I am going, but I don't want to get it home and find out it won't go into my case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpendicular_recording

Looks like just the way the data is written is different. These still install normally? That is what I am getting but could use some confirmation.

Edited by LordFett

haha. ya its just how the data is written. its a normal drive otherwise, you'll be fine. but with my case, the antec p180, my hdd bay has all of the drives mounted vertically... its suppose to increase disk life. w/ horizontal i guess that gravity affects the platters after a while.

I'd go for the Seagate too (well, anything BUT the WD really). I've got a pair of 300GB Seagates (SATA) and bought a bunch of the 320GB'ers too (SATA2), and I'm quite happy with all of them. Good price ($/GB; perfect for RAID), good warranty, good performance and all.