Computer freezes, restarts or bluescreens

big3b

About am month ago I did a complete install of 98se and the service pack. The computer will freeze, restart or bluescreen once ar twice a day, but otherwise runs great. On e of the blue screens says: An Exception 0E has occurred at 0028:CIBCD3FA in VXD MSTCP(01) + 0000209A. This was called fom 0028:CIC4BA44 in VXD PPPMAC(04) + 00007B14. It may be possible to continue normally. ANy help would be appreciated. Here is my system config:

ASUS A7V8X-X MOBO

AMD Athlon 1.1 Gig

512mb Kingston Value Ram PC 3200

USR 5610b Modem

ATI Radeon 9600 PRO

Western Digital 120 Gig 7200 RPM

Windows 98SE sevice pack 2.1a

Also I ran Fresh Diagnoise and it said that my ram was running way to slow compared to others and the harddrive was reading and writing way to slow. I downloaded Doc Memory testor and ran the burn-in test for 8 hours and no issues. What do you all think? Matt

Probably the file called pppmac.vxd and mstcp.vxd in your windows system are corrupted. Try to uninstall/remove "dial up adapter" and "tcp/ip" in your control panel

Are connecting to the net with DSL or Dialup,if dsl might check this page after problem it fixed.

http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=119

Do a find on your system files and see how many copys of the file PPPMAC.VXD.

Edited by charles__

Athlon... check to ensure it's not overheating.

I recently serviced a system that was displaying the same symptoms. The CPU was idling at 52°C. After cleaning out the fan and heatsink, the temperatures decreased to low 30s and the system was stable again.

Charles, I only have 1 instance of PPPMAC.VXD. I am going to try unstalling the things that you suggested.

LLXX, I feel alittle silly, when I was switching boards I thought that there was some stuff that was built up between the processor and heatsink. Now don't laugh, I cleaned it off and put it back together not knowing what it was. I forgot about it until just now. At startup the CPU temp is 48°C and five minutes later it is up to 51°C. I am not for sure what that stuff is exactly called but I remembered that it helps in the cooling of the CPU. I think I need to stroll down to the local computer shop and pick some up, it will probably help things out. I think I read somewhere that Nanotherm PCM+ is some good stuff. The CPU fan is running at 4856 rpms, so that is at least working. I will let you know thanks. Matt

:o You're lucky you didn't burn your CPU. It's called Thermal Compound. It's mandatory for the new CPUs, as they produce so much heat they'll overheat without the compound to transfer the heat.

Ok, I went into the system properites from the control panel and removed the dial-up adapter, and i believe a fast ethernet adapter, nothing actually listed as tcp-ip. Now when starts up it blue screens saying: Invalid VxD Dynamic link call from IPCDRVS(01) + 0022098 to device "0028", service 8004. Your windows configuration is invalid.

I reinstalled 98se and service pack 2.1a and get the same message. I think I am going to have to first completly erase the harddrive then do an install? Boy do I have problems. Matt

To reinstall dial-up you need to good to add/remove and then windows setup,high light communication then

click details and remove the check from dial-up networking,close everything and then go back and put the check back in dial-up click OK and windows will ask for your 98se cd to reinstall.

Probably the file called pppmac.vxd and mstcp.vxd in your windows system are corrupted. Try to uninstall/remove "dial up adapter" and "tcp/ip" in your control panel

there is no mstcp.vxd file in win98se, charles__. I think you mean mstcp.dll

To reinstall dial-up you need to good to add/remove and then windows setup,high light communication then

click details and remove the check from dial-up networking,close everything and then go back and put the check back in dial-up click OK and windows will ask for your 98se cd to reinstall.

I would also copy ALL of the Win98SE setup files from the Win98se CD onto the hard drive (hey, there's PLENTY of space so there is NO excuse whatsoever not to store all the Win98se setup files on the hard drive). I'd put them in the \WIN98SE\ folder and then change the SourcePath registry entry to point to that folder on the HD so that I wont be asked for the Win98se CD when adding a component from Add/Remove programs Windows Setup tab.

Ok, I went into the system properites from the control panel and removed the dial-up adapter, and i believe a fast ethernet adapter, nothing actually listed as tcp-ip. Now when starts up it blue screens saying: Invalid VxD Dynamic link call from IPCDRVS(01) + 0022098 to device "0028", service 8004. Your windows configuration is invalid.

the TCP/IP protocol is listed in the Network control panel applet, not in the System properties Device Manager box.

I would also check the configuration of the fast ethernet network adapter in Device Manager. What kind of ethernet network adapter are you using, big3b?

Edited by erpdude8

erpdude8,

The adapter that I am using is what ever came on my board, ASUS A7V8X-X MOBO. I am not connected to any network though.

Charles,

I saw that in add remove and second guessed myself and removed what I removed. When I get home I will try that. Thanks, Matt

Well I went to the local Radio Shack and bought a $2.00 tube of silicon based thremal compound. Then I addressed the other issue. I looked up the file IPCDRVS and discovered that it was a part of my firewall program. So I removed that program and bingo the computer booted. So know that I back online with a CPU running cooler, we will see how it preforms. If I do not get a cahnce to update about the performance before moday it will be next weeknd because that wife and I are going to Las Vegas. Thanks again for all your help people. Matt

Well surfing for aboout two hours and the internet stoped responding a couple of times and then it just restarted all by itself. I went into the bios and the mobo temp: 37c, cpu:67c, cpu fan 2410 rpms, chassis fan 1654. All I was doing was surfing the net. I am guessing that the cpu temp is still alittle high? Matt