Network Functionality important components

alfaunits

Hi,

I've made an install with nLite(1.01), and have selected netowkr functionality as required (so I don't remove it by mistake).

However, I cannot browse the network still. I guess I have removed some other component, but I cannot figure which one.

Any ideas? (Network Places shows absolutely no items)

I made an installation with RC7 with even more items removed and that one worked :( The only reason I am using 1.01 now is because VM packs are in .7z format now.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem. I can't do get anything on the workgroup to display no matter what I try, it is completely broken. I've removed a lot less than with previous versions that seemed to work fine even when I removed a ton of stuff.

Also, if I unplug the network cable and then plug it back in, it won't say it is connected. It will still say that the network cable is unplugged. I have to disable the connection and then re-enable it before I can connect to the internet.

These are the only tweaks I have down for network, if you need more info I can supply it.

Network-Disable DCOM protocol bindings

Network-Disable Microsoft-DS (close port 445 TCP/UDP)

dale5605, hi :)

I'm too troubled with the same issue of the missing icon but I however didn't use Ethernet DHCP Compatibility option which would prevent that (did you?).

You don't need to disable/enable just go to the Network connections and keep pressing F5 until the icon is established.

This is very annoying to me, does anyone knows which component this might be so that I can see if it can be bypassed or at least put it into description?

dale5605, hi :)

I'm too troubled with the same issue of the missing icon but I however didn't use Ethernet DHCP Compatibility option which would prevent that (did you?).

You don't need to disable/enable just go to the Network connections and keep pressing F5 until the icon is established.

This is very annoying to me, does anyone knows which component this might be so that I can see if it can be bypassed or at least put it into description?

For me, after XP SP2 and/or subsequent updates there is changed functionality/dependencies. In order to display network icon, now two more services are needed (while before I always left them disabled/taken out):

- network location awareness

- remote access connection manager.

If I would need to be absolutely positive, I would turn on (automatic) the so-called (by me) annoying group:

- Com+ event system,

- System event notification, and

- Windows management instrumentation

Of course, you have network functionality without these above, with just

- Network connections and

- Telephony (sometimes)

set to automatic.

But! This is not enough. You have to relax RPC permissions, either by going to Component Services -> blah blah -> Configure my Computer (which I resent), or through registry.

And I don't even touch the firewall! (Poor thing, it always gets taken out/disabled)

Greetings from Macedonia

GL

I've had the same problem with the new version. I had to use version 99.6 or something that i had lying around to get windows networking to work at all. In 1.0 it would not work even if you don't remove anything network related

I guess your problems are related to the "Network-Disable Microsoft-DS (close port 445 TCP/UDP)"-tweak.

just try this:

start regedit

search for "TransportBindName"

If this key is empty, put "\Device\" in it.

This tweak changed from RC7 to RC8. So It should work for you with RC7 or just manually add \Device\ back again. Be careful when adding additional users - they delete \Device\ again - this is due to how nlite applies things ...

edit:

please add your nlite.inis - thanks

Edited by vci

This is made with 1.0.1, nothing that should remove windows networking in there (the same config works fine with a earlier version of nlite) and its run on windows 2003 SP1.

also the suggesions posted are all in there and ok. But still, i get my workgroup up. But i cant see any computers,

if i install netbios i get no permission for the workgroup

Last_Session.ini

Ok i can pretty much confirm that this is a bug in the final version (1.0 and 1.0.1).

Ive done the same windows 2003 SP1 install with the same options but with nlite1.0rc6

In 1.0 and 1.0.1 windows networking will only work over netbios, which means you have to have netbios installed on all your windows computers in your workgroup. which is a bit pants since netbios sucks and is considered unsafe, plus is slows down tcp/ip and isnt as fast in network transfers

In nlite1.0rc6 windows networking over tcp/ip works.

Attached is my config from nlite1.0rc6, the previous post is the config with 1.0.1

Last_Session.ini

The only file from that list that was missing was drprov.dll, but that is missing from my current install also in which workgroup networking works fine. So I think the issue is something besides certain dll's or files being deleted.