Issue with Automatic Updates

Kashim

Hi, I have a strange problem with the Automatic Updates on Windows XP. I have it configured to "Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them." Then I see the yellow shield appear in my tray and when I pass my mouse over it, it says 50% complete and so on. However, when it's finished downloading the updates, the icon disappears from my tray. When I go to restart my computer, there's a warning on the log off screen telling me that important updates will be installed if I shut down my computer. The same thing happens if I change my Automatic Updates setting to "Notify me but don't automatically download or install them." Does anyone know a solution to this problem? It used to do this to me once in a while, but it does it every time now. I have the problem on three different computers. One computer just had a fresh install of Windows XP and it's trying to install about 50 updates without letting me review them first!

Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I was looking for an actual solution, not a way to just sidestep the problem. I don't want to keep checking manually to see if there are updates, I want to be notified.