[Q] How do you tell which directory Windows is installing from?

Maelstorm

I have 3 directories that Windows installs from. They are i386, dflt, and norm. I386 and dflt have winnt.sif files, norm doesn't.

Now the question is how to I tell which directory that Windows is installing from? I need to know if it's i386 or dflt. What I am trying to acomplish is that if the install is from i386, then install all the software automatically. But, if the install is from dflt, then give the user a choice as to what software to install.

I have considered using a detached program hack to accomplish this as that one is unique to the winnt.sif file that is being used. Is that the way to do it or is there a better way?

I am having a hard time deciphering your post...

It sounds like you have made a Multiboot cd with different installations of XP on it. Each one has a different folder the files are installing from, correct? Something like this...

CD

- SETUP

-- I386

----winnt.sif

-- dflt

----winnt.sif

-- norm

Are you trying to make one version of the install be unattended and another be attended (allowing the user to select options)?

Are you using a boot loader (ie CDSHELL) ?

Give us a bit more info and we can help you further.

Have you read flyakite's multiboot guide?

it depends on how are you installing. if you're booting from CD, so you'll have to know what OS to choose so the script will start the right setup. if you're installing from another windows, you've only to pay attention in what you're choosing, or you can go to the right folder and start the winnt32.exe from there, and you can do that from DOS, but I think you'll waste time

I am having a hard time deciphering your post...

It sounds like you have made a Multiboot cd with different installations of XP on it. Each one has a different folder the files are installing from, correct? Something like this...

CD

- SETUP

-- I386

----winnt.sif

-- dflt

----winnt.sif

-- norm

Are you trying to make one version of the install be unattended and another be attended (allowing the user to select options)?

That's exactly how it's setup, and that is exactly what I am doing.

Are you using a boot loader (ie CDSHELL) ?

Give us a bit more info and we can help you further.

Have you read flyakite's multiboot guide?

Yeah, I'm using CDSHELL, and I did read his guild. I'm doing mine a different way though that works pretty well for different configurations of a single OS. As for my post, I thought I was being clear. I've put a detachedprogram in winnt.sif that will make a unique file in the temp directory. I have yet to test it to see if it works though.

Yeah, I'm using CDSHELL, and I did read his guild. I'm doing mine a different way though that works pretty well for different configurations of a single OS. As for my post, I thought I was being clear. I've put a detachedprogram in winnt.sif that will make a unique file in the temp directory. I have yet to test it to see if it works though.

Elaborate on this "different way".

I am still not sure of what you are asking.. perhaps my reading skills are lacking

The more you elaborate on what your problem is, the more we can help you.

Below is my configuration as an example. It has taken months to develop and perfect to my application.

I followed his guide and I also have different configurations of a single OS which goes something like this...

There are a lot of folders in the root of this CD but it all fits under 700MB.

3 versions of XP

OEM Pro

OEM Home

VLK Pro

CD Contents

-OEM1 (SETUPLDR.BIN points to OEM_HOME, and contains winnt.sif)

-OEM2 (points to OEM_HOME, NO winnt.sif)

-OEM4

-PRO1

-PRO2

-PRO8

(each of the above folders have the files from the $WIN_NT$.~LS folder with modified SETUPLDR.BIN)

-SETUP

OEM_HOME

--I386

OEM_HOME2

-- I386

OEM_PRO

-- I386

OEM_PRO2

--I386

VLK_PRO

--I386

VLK_PRO2

--I386

(The only reason there are the HOME2 and PRO2 folders is because of modified billboards)

- Using CDIMAGE's -o optimize option so this fits all on a CD

So essentially I have a CD that has 12 different configs of XP

OEMPRO (Unattended, Attended, Billboards Unattended, Billboards Attended)

OEMHOME (Unattended, Attended, Billboards Unattended, Billboards Attended)

VLKPRO (Unattended, Attended, Billboards Unattended, Billboards Attended)

for every install...

- I use the SVCPACK method to install updates, copy program installs (optional, prompts user), and set wallpaper

- RunOnceEx starts the silent installs

I'm using the method that I developed here. Basically, this is what I have on my DVD:

i386: XP Pro - Fully unattended OS install with unattended install of all software.

dflt: XP Pro - Attended OS install where user choses what software to install.

norm: XP Pro - Normal install.

All three instances of the OS have the same files, but only i386 and dflt have winnt.sif in their directories. It does work for 1 Operating System like this because I have tested that part of it. What I need help with is when WINSETUP.CMD executes from CMDLINES.TXT in i386 and dflt configs, how do I tell WHICH directory that the install is running from? i386 or dflt? Norm does not copy the $OEM$ files over, so there is no need.

I still haven't tested this yet, I am still doing other things with the software configs, but here's what I plan on doing and I think it just might work:

i386 WINNT.SIF

[GUIUNATTENDED]
DetachedProgram=CMD.EXE
Arguments=/C ECHO I386>C:\TMP\I386.TXT

DFLT WINNT.SIF

[GUIUNATTENDED]
DetachedProgram=CMD.EXE
Arguments=/C ECHO DFLT>C:\TMP\DFLT.TXT

I'll be testing this today to see if it works.

Yes, or you could do this too, I am using this method in the Multi boot DVD guide that I mentioned above:

[GuiUnattended]DetachedProgram="%SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe /c @ECHO something>%SystemDrive%\i386.TAG"
and
[GuiUnattended]DetachedProgram="%SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe /c @ECHO something>%SystemDrive%\DFLT.TAG"
Edited by andregcasal

• 3 weeks later...

As it turns out, my method didn't work. So, I'll try yours and see what that does.

[EDIT 2006-09-12]

Neither method works. The tag file just isn't being created. I do have a solution that I want to try though.

Edited by Maelstorm

• 2 weeks later...

I figured out why it wasn't working... :}

It was my fault why it wasn't working. Looking at it long enough I finally saw what I did wrong. I had DetachedProgram in the [unattended] section instead of [GuiUnattended]. That'll teach me to pay more attention to my work. :blushing: Opps....

Oh well. Thanks to all those who helped me on this endevor. I'm going to go test it now.

Later.