Speaker Problems

hoop3r

right, i some how got the sound to work, not quite sure how though heh

it just like came back after restartin the pc

I still have the annoying buzzing though... any way of gettin rid of it?

thanks

well my speakers give off a buzz when there is no signal being given to them... btw, is your windows audio and ur media player have the volume on max? b/c thats what you should do and you should only adjust the volume on the speakers.

ok, its got nothing to do with the computer. this may sound strange at first, but its more than likely an internal wire thats broken or crimped beyond usage. chances are you had something on top of the wire [known or unknown] at it held the wire in one position for a long time, then when you moved it [because low gauge wire snaps easier than a twig] the wire may have broken. the bussing is the electric current bouncing on to the other half, but not consistantly.

just today i was working with a pair of speakers, and i had the same problem.

one more thing, make sure that the wire for the speakers isn't touching an AC power cable. the AC current will mess with the signal, even through the rubber/plastic insulation.

also if the wires are not grounded that would be a problem. digital audio cables are slowly appearing, they are not grounded. not being grounded causes a problem because the electric current will slowly build up until boom, a speaker blows.

Not sure if anyone has any ideas, but I'm having a similar problem with speaker buzz. When the PC sound card is hooked up to the speakers, there is serious buzz. unplug the PC and plug in an MP3 player, and it's very clear. If you shut down the PC, still same buzz. Unplug the PC (no power cord for 5 minutes or so), same buzz. Unseat the card from the unplugged pc, and the buzzing stops.

If the card were bad, seems like the buzzing would continue with the card unseated. If grounding were at fault, seems like unplugging it from the wall would halt the buzz.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

there could be a loose cable somewhere in your computers audio setup. on you're optical drives [CD/DVD or whatever] do you have a 3 or 4 pin cable come out and go into the sound card? if so, make sure those are seated proverly in both ends, check for little cuts, check the tips and make sure they aren't pulled out of place etc.

there may also be a problem with the speakers wire, the 1/8th inch cable from the card to the speaker. that may be causing the problem.

there could be a loose cable somewhere in your computers audio setup. on you're optical drives [CD/DVD or whatever] do you have a 3 or 4 pin cable come out and go into the sound card? if so, make sure those are seated proverly in both ends, check for little cuts, check the tips and make sure they aren't pulled out of place etc.

there may also be a problem with the speakers wire, the 1/8th inch cable from the card to the speaker. that may be causing the problem.

well he said he tried it with his mp3 player, so it cant be a cable issue

i don't think he did a loop through the computer to test it

he probably went directly into the speakers.

if you run digital audio cables, they may no be seated properly. if you don't run DA cables, i don't know what to say. i do a lot of audio work for my school, i've run into lots of problems before...i think its internal wire damage somewhere on the card or on cables that go to your motherboard or sound card. go into Audio control properties in the control panel, make sure nothing is overmodulating, check any and all cables for any damage or loose seating at the tips. if none of that works, the card has a loose input socket somewhere, and thats far from easy to fix.

what cables are you talking about? the sound card doesnt connect to the motherboard with cables, its just a pci slot... if your talking about the cd drive then there is no point in connecting those wires....

what cables are you talking about? the sound card doesnt connect to the motherboard with cables, its just a pci slot... if your talking about the cd drive then there is no point in connecting those wires....

certain sound cards have 4 pin inputs on the edges, for audio directly from a CD or DVD drive. if those cables have a problem, audio will not work.

Anyone metioned the possiblity of EMI? I know the ground loop is around the same idea, but it kinda sounds like interference to me. I have the same issue kind of... all my audio cables are running right next to my box past the raptor to my master sub which throws some wicked sounds through my system sometimes. Especially when reading/writing. Just a thought.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I'm still not entirely sure what preciesly the problem was, but I assume that something was touching somewhere. I ended up pulling all the cards, removing the motherboard, and the reassembling everything. I still get an occasional pop, but it's 99.9% better.

certain sound cards have 4 pin inputs on the edges, for audio directly from a CD or DVD drive. if those cables have a problem, audio will not work.

so its only certain cards? b/c ive never come accross a card that i needed to do that for.