Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

Thanks, oscardog.

Viagart.vxd, interesting you mentioned that. I would suspect the video-agp interface if the same problems didn't crop up when using a old box with an Intel chipset and a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP or PCI card or a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP or PCI card.

I do use an unconventional approach when using the newer (Socket A KT880) Via chipset motherboards with 98SE. The standard Via 4-in-1/Hyperion Pro setup only installs a redirect from AGP to PCI that only activates PCI speeds for video. I manually install the AGP Gart driver by extracting it from the Via 4.43 4-in-1 package, the AGP folder and direct Device Manager to it. This enables full Direct X AGP acceleration and AGP textures on 98SE.

But that works properly without crashing games. And, again, I get the same IOS errors when using boards designed during the 98 era.

I'll do the step-by-step next time I have a 9x setup and run into the inevitable problem. I will say that I have refreshed the bootlog the last few times and it is nearly all clean with successful reports for all but an ndisup driver. Even the font problems I got in earlier problem setups weren't there, possibly because I've begun running Norton WinDoctor to keep things in good shape. That checks and corrects font problems, though it has never reported any so perhaps it isn't related. Bootlog hasn't shown any problems loading the vxd's either.

I just wonder what all the rest of the 98 enthusiast's here are doing that does not result in the IOS error I always get nowadays.

Just downloaded the new 1.5 Autopatcher. Well, I'll file it away and use it in VMWare for now. Eventually I'll try a 98SE setup again.

@ soporific: does your autoupdate has a language check ? So that I avoid downloading 180mo for nothing... Thanks

@ eck: don't give up! It's harder to make win98 work with modern Mobos/GPUs but just wait a week and give it a chance. I reinstalled win98 8 times on my new PC before getting it to work. It worth the effort. (the ndis2sup error in bootlog is normal BTW if this is what your refered to)

180 MB :crazy: - That's definitely too much even if it includes ALL updates.

Tihiy: i'd be interested to hear what could (or should) be left out of it ... fair enough there's lots of duplication of files within each of the hotfixes but this doesn't really add up to that much.

the autopatcher for XP is over 200mb, mine is in good company.

@ soporific: does your autoupdate has a language check ? So that I avoid downloading 180mo for nothing...

No, it doesn't - sorry. Is there some info I can read that will help me implement a languange check? What is it exactly supposed to do?

Edited by soporific

I agree with soporific regarding the size. Don't forget what a time and hastle saver this program is. This is not just a Windows Update installer. It provides nearly all operating system provided program upgrades as well. We're talking Direct X, Internet Explorer, Window Media Player, etc, etc.

And yes, when the bad taste in my mouth passes from my latest failure I will try again. But in the meantime I can play with 98 in VMWare without worrying. Well, as soon as I get to that. I think I'll use what I've got for a bit until I get into the installing mood again.

soporific, has progress occured regarding Dialup Networking, 256 Tray Icons, Windows 2000 Color Scheme, the Gape style explorer.exe with his full icon package, or the icon cache size increase? I think those are the only things making the installation of the Gape Unofficial 98SE Service Pack necessary before running your package. Well, those and the Web Folders update but I think the Web Folders are updated by OfficeXP for those that install that anyway.

Any news on those fronts? I haven't noticed you commenting on whether you got any of those cleared up in your new package.

I agree with soporific regarding the size. Don't forget what a time and hastle saver this program is. This is not just a Windows Update installer. It provides nearly all operating system provided program upgrades as well. We're talking Direct X, Internet Explorer, Window Media Player, etc, etc.

Thanks for backing me up, Eck .... but .... oops, I forgot to delete the hot girl-on-girl bdsm videos from the extras folder !!! No wonder the size is so big ...!!! (of course i'm joking -- my point is, its not as if I've included completely spurious updates and other useless junk --- I consider everything I've included as completely relevant to an AutoPatcher for Windows 98se. Everyone, please advise which particular apps should be left out of the next version if you disagree with what was included. The size of the file is likely to increase significantly --- I haven't even nearly finished!!)

soporific, has progress occured regarding Dialup Networking, 256 Tray Icons, Windows 2000 Color Scheme, the Gape style explorer.exe with his full icon package, or the icon cache size increase? I think those are the only things making the installation of the Gape Unofficial 98SE Service Pack necessary before running your package. Well, those and the Web Folders update but I think the Web Folders are updated by OfficeXP for those that install that anyway.

OK, I have shunted aside the problematic installs into a folder called 'manual installs' --- when you run the autopatcher and you don't have Dial-up Networking 1.4 (DUN14) installed, the program asks you if you want to install that first. If you say Yes, it launches the setup program for DUN14... (and then quits out so you don't get any hanging windows) ---- with regard to the others problem files (Web folders update and native USB drivers), there's a note in the log file reminding the user that the 'manual installs' folder exists and that anything inside the folder should be installed manually. Hopefully we can get this folder empty in the end.

I haven't added the tray icons, Win2K colors, or the icon cache size increase --- but they shouldn't be too hard to add as optional extras. I will have a look at this ...

Everyone, please note: IF YOU WOULD LIKE SOMETHING ADDED TO AUTOPATCHER -- it is really only determined by my coding skills. If I can't do it, sorry. HOWEVER --- if you know how to package your desired installation into a self-installing package, then do so and I will add it to the program. What would be really excellent, would be for someone to package Gape's stuff that I've yet to include (ie all of Eck's suggestions from above) so all I have to do is add another section to the appropriate module. Credit will be given to all those who contribute in this way.

I don't intend to make a big thing about the fact that it was ME who wrote the autopatcher, so if anyone wants to come on board in a more official capacity to help with development, you are more than welcome. Most of the credit goes to the wealth of information that can be found on the msfn website anyway ...

Edited by soporific

Eck If it is happening on different mboards the only time I have come across the same issue is when I have been making a minimised install and the fonts have all been set to hidden. attrib -h on reboot corrected this and as you pointed out windoctor may be making this change for you.

Hope your up and running soon

p.s a test drive using mindows for an install might be worth a try to see if the same issues arise

soporific thanks for all your hard work, downloading now and will give it a try on my next install

@ soporific: does your autoupdate has a language check ? So that I avoid downloading 180mo for nothing...

No, it doesn't - sorry. Is there some info I can read that will help me implement a languange check? What is it exactly supposed to do?

Nah, I was probably unclear. I was just asking if your pack would refuse to install for testing on my non-english windows because of a language check. If there is no test that's better ! :yes:

I'm sure everybody knows installing english updates on non-english windows will not work / turn it into a language mess so I don't see the point of a check.

Everyone, please note: IF YOU WOULD LIKE SOMETHING ADDED TO AUTOPATCHER

256 colors icon tray is a must if you want to make win98 more eye candy. It's all exlpained at Dr. Hoiby's page. Just a simple patch.

Maybe WMP6.4 + patches + codecs for those allergic to more recent versions? But sure that would increase size of the autopatcher for the benefit only few people so I guess it's not NEEDED.

180mb is big but it's the size of my update folder so I don't see how it could be smaller. Maybe do a LITE version? :angel

Hmm, well I know I could always go to the font folder and they sure didn't look hidden (you know, faded). I could double click them and they would open fine, showing all the pretty pictures of the particular font. New fonts appeared to install properly when program installs would add them.

So I don't know if it's the fonts causing the problem. I don't have a clue what it is. Obviously one problem WAS smartdrv.exe existing in the Windows folder as I fixed the problem by removing that. Don't ask me WHY that was a problem. It is installed by the Windows setup as it always has been. When this (renaming it) fixed it, I moved it to the Command folder and renamed it back so I could use it for starting in MS-DOS Mode for my Dos gaming. Windows still started up fine then.

Then when all my stuff was running fine and I was enjoying using 98SE, suddenly on a startup the IOS error appeared again. I had no idea how to fix it this time as smartdrv was already not in the Windows folder.

That's when I just repartitioned, formatted, and installed XP to the main drive and Vista to the 2nd drive.

And that's where I am now. No 98. Not a huge loss in today's world but having it provides me with a few advantages. I'll leave things for now, as I said, and get back and try it sometime.

or you could make all of those extras just that... extras. If I recall correctly you can use extra modules with Autopatcher (the official ones for Windows 2000, XP, and 2003). Maybe you could add this type of support for this Autopatcher as well. I'm sure that everyone would be happy with that. Or you could just add all extras to a separate pack, Autopatcher Extra or something like that :P The difference between the extra modules and this idea is that this would be an all-in-one pack instead of separate modules for each extra. Just an idea though...

or you could make all of those extras just that... extras. If I recall correctly you can use extra modules with Autopatcher (the official ones for Windows 2000, XP, and 2003). Maybe you could add this type of support for this Autopatcher as well. I'm sure that everyone would be happy with that. Or you could just add all extras to a separate pack, Autopatcher Extra or something like that :P The difference between the extra modules and this idea is that this would be an all-in-one pack instead of separate modules for each extra. Just an idea though...

I was thinking about doing that (separating the autopatcher into 2 - main & extras), but it would still result in a very big Main file size, with the extras not nearly being so big. That is how it would be right now. Depending on how many extras i include, this may be the way to go sometime down the track.

OK, with regard to feedback --- some people are saying they will use the autopatcher when they need to re-install their operating system --- yes, you could wait that long, but that's not going to help get this project from alpha to beta. There is something more you can do ...

PLEASE TEST THIS USING THE REPORT FUNCTION!! --- the most recent addition to this project, which means some may not be aware, is the report function. This allows you to see before-hand what autopatcher thinks you need to install. IF ALL THE REGULARS ON THIS LIST ran the report function on their current system, i'm sure this would either bring up lots more bugs and mistakes (ie reporting the wrong thing) or not. The report function doesn't change or install a single thing on your computer, so it should be safe to use!!

Come on, give it a go ... here's an example report to look at - in this example, I ran every module except Internet Explorer 6 sp1 to see if some updates that required IE6 installed would recognise that its missing and respond appropriately. It worked as expected. This was the report generated after running the above modules.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This report log for AutoPatcher for Windows 98se
was generated on Wednesday, 15 November 2006
- the time is now: 11:15:55
- the most recent report is at the end of this log file.
- this text is stored in D:\WIN98\TEMP\AUTOPACH\logs\Report.txt
- the program folder is located at: D:\WIN98\TEMP\AUTOPACH
- run the StartPch.bat file to start the program

The following list of updates were not found on this computer:

11:15:55 -- AutoPatcher has started compiling the report.
- StopLogo: the Disable Boot Logo tweak
- EnabMenu: the Enable Boot Menu tweak
- IE6sp1: Internet Explorer 6 sp1
- q322656: Msinfo32.exe causes an Access Denied error in Internet Explorer
- q329115: Hotfix for Certificate Validation Flaw Vulnerability
- kb816362: Hotfix for Bug in Mshta.exe With Multiple Modal Dialog Boxes
- kb824220: Hotfix for Images Not Appearing in some Web Pages in IE 6 sp1
- kb870669: Hotfix for vulnerability in ADOB Stream in IE
- kb888113: Hotfix for Hyperlink Object Library Vulnerability
- kb893627: Hotfix for Bug with Group Policies Not Applied in IE6sp1 (IEDKCS32.DLL)
- kb896156: Hotfix for bug when removing an HTML element from a Web page
- kb891781: Hotfix for DHTML ActiveX Control Vulnerability
- kb905495: Hotfix for Vulnerability in the Windows FTP Client
- kb908519: Hotfix for vulnerability in Embedded Web Fonts
- kb911567: Unofficial Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6 sp1
- kb913433: Hotfix for Vulnerabilities in Flash Player
- kb918439: Hotfix for Vulnerability in ART Image Rendering
- kb916281: Official Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 6 sp1
- kb918899: Unofficial Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 6 sp1
- DXMedia6: Unofficial DirectX Media Update for IE 6 sp1
- HHUPD141: Unofficial HTML Help 1.41 Update
- un924191: Unofficial MSXML 3.0 SP7 Update
- kb925486: Hotfix for Vulnerability in Vector Markup Language
- WMEncode: Windows Media Encoder 7.1
- q314941: Hotfix for Vulnerability in Universal Plug 'n' Play
- 48BITLB2: Unofficial Update for Drives over 137gb (for IBM portables)
- msl2tp: Microsoft L2TP/IPSec VPN Client
- NetFrame: Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0
- NetMeet3: Microsoft NetMeeting 3.01
- ieak6: Internet Explorer 6 Administration Kit
11:18:28 -- AutoPatcher has finished compiling the report.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Edited by soporific

Too Late!!! Your question was asked, and replied to !!! LOL --- it WASN'T STUPID !!!! There's at least one reason I can see why this is a good question to ask --- saving space in the autopatcher package.

I'm pretty sure you can't delete posts --- but you can edit out your question if you are fast enough !! ie before it becomes historical when someone replies ... like what just happened. LOL!!

Just a question. Internet Explorer, DirectX and some other updates also include files for NT based operating systems... Did you remove these files before adding them to Autopatcher? I know... this is kind of a stupid question, but still...

Why exactly did you want to know? To save space in the autopatcher package? Another reason?

No, its not a stupid question at all --- I think the DirectX pack has the extra NT-based files removed but I haven't taken any files out of the installer packs, no. I can imagine we can save some space by removing them, but i have no idea what we can take out, etc.

This project is really an automatic hotfix installer (as well as doing other things) so you can safely assume, unless otherwise said, that the hotfixes are exactly the same as the ones you download from the Windows Update.

Just in case I haven't already said: FEEDBACK IS ALWAYS WELCOME in whatever the form it comes.

Edited by soporific

OK then :D

Well, yeah, the idea was to make the autopatcher installation smaller (basically this is the only fact that people complain about :P, although I think that the file size is alright, of course this is just my opinion...). If there is some sort of software that can detect which files (and registry entries if possible) are being installed on your computer in real time it would be easy to know which files are needed and which ones aren't... I think... Of course I'm not sure if the Internet Explorer installation installs certain files in certain situations or not... Or any other installation for that matter. Well if someone went to the trouble of creating a reduced DirectX installation package for W9x then someone might have already made a reduced package for Internet Explorer as well.

Edited by StateS