Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

Sop. As you know I have the AutoPatcher August 2007 full + the September 2007 upgrade. Is it necessary to now install the October 2007 full AutoPatcher over the August 2007 full or shall I just wait for the October 2007 update, then install it over the September 2007 update? Must I always install both? Thanks, Ken.

Sop. As you know I have the AutoPatcher August 2007 full + the September 2007 upgrade. Is it necessary to now install the October 2007 full AutoPatcher over the August 2007 full or shall I just wait for the October 2007 update, then install it over the September 2007 update? Must I always install both? Thanks, Ken.

That's a good question ... Theoretically, you only need to download a FULL release once, and from then on you can simply download the updates and install them over what you already have on your machine. The only problem with this is that files that are subsequently deleted from the FULL releases will still be in your project folder. But apart from this, there is nothing wrong with wanting to avoid downloading 250 MB each and every time! So my advice is to wait for the October UPGRADE release.

October release looks nice, though I'm waiting for the upgrade version.

BTW, soporific, I noticed you don't have the newest NUSB in the changelist. Are you waiting for the next release, did you forget it, or did you intentionally leave it out?

October release looks nice, though I'm waiting for the upgrade version.

BTW, soporific, I noticed you don't have the newest NUSB in the changelist. Are you waiting for the next release, did you forget it, or did you intentionally leave it out?

you missed "did you not know about the new NUSB" from your list of options, because that's the one that i would have chosen :blushing: -- i will check it out pronto, thanks for the heads up.

Sop. This time, while waiting for your reply, I got AutoPatcher October 2007 full. So this occasion ONLY, shall I install AP Oct/07 over what I have on my computer, then wait for + install the October 2007 update, Then from that point on, as you suggest, only install the updates over what I have on my computer. Thanks, Ken.

soporific, what did you do to get the DirectX August 2007 install working?

I assume that you at least added the two missing 9x Cabs from December 2006 release.

I found that the DirectX updates released since 2006 (with the two Cabs added) do not seem to install additional Managed DirectX (.NET) files...

The same install on XP will copy quite a number of files that do not appear to copy on 9x...

My question is whether there is any gain to 9x by installing post-2006 DirectX updates?

If there is, then the November DirectX update is now available.

soporific, what did you do to get the DirectX August 2007 install working?

I assume that you at least added the two missing 9x Cabs from December 2006 release.

I found that the DirectX updates released since 2006 (with the two Cabs added) do not seem to install additional Managed DirectX (.NET) files...

The same install on XP will copy quite a number of files that do not appear to copy on 9x...

My question is whether there is any gain to 9x by installing post-2006 DirectX updates?

If there is, then the November DirectX update is now available.

* Yeah, the base install files for DX aren't in the official August 2007, we needed to nick them from December 2006.

* If you have Dec 2006 installed, and you don't have a really modern video card, and you don't have .Net framework installed, then there is absolutely no point installing Aug 2007. Not a single thing is changed on your system, in fact i had to write a special registry key in order to tell Auto-patcher that it was installed after running the installation. So in answer to your question, there's no real need to install it or benefit for your OS.

* If you do have .Net Framework installed, then there will be some modifications to the OS. Whether this is going to help or not -- your guess is probably better than mine.

I have installed AP 2007 October FULL edition and then I try to launch Auto Patcher, dos window closes after the first message (launching Auto Patcher for Windows 98se). And nothing else happens

The same result is when trying to launch start_debug.bat: after press any key message nothing happens, log isn't created :-/

While examining bat file, I have found line: FIND/I - shouldn't it be FIND /I ? with space?

Also, does DOS support channel symbol as *nix (VER | FIND/I "dos 7.10")?

manual launch autopach.bat c:\temp\ap Y resulted in warning, that environment space is set to low (1456 vs needed 7168), used environment space 1288 vs 2056

I have installed AP 2007 October FULL edition and then I try to launch Auto Patcher, dos window closes after the first message (launching Auto Patcher for Windows 98se). And nothing else happens

The same result is when trying to launch start_debug.bat: after press any key message nothing happens, log isn't created :-/

While examining bat file, I have found line: FIND/I - shouldn't it be FIND /I ? with space?

Someone else is reporting problems starting the October release --- do me a favour, if you have a previous FULl release, can you uninstall the October one, install the older one, and see if the behaviour is the same?

Also, you could try installing the Environment Space fix which is in the \files\hotfixes folder, and its called "UpConfig.exe" -- just run the file - you will need to reboot afterwards

to answer your questions:

* the syntax of FIND doesn't require a space, it will work without one. But be my guest and temporarily change the file by adding the space, and see if it makes a difference.

* i'm not sure what you mean by "does DOS support channel symbol as *nix" etc ...

Bankis, to answer your question: yes.

Many DOS commands and piping concepts are similar to Unix/Linux.

For Windows 98SE, you would use:

ver|find "4.10.2222""

The errorlevel return code is 0 for a match.

For example:

ver|find "4.10.2222"
if errorlevel 1 goto not_98se

[98SE stuff here]
goto finish

:not_98se
[Some message e.g. You need Windows 98SE to run this!]

:finish

soporific, I have tried August version - problem remains - window closes without further actions

Guess, that something wrong with the new window/shell creation

my COMSPEC is set to c:\command.com, WINDIR - c:\win

@ soporific

Hi i see that in the last autopatcher (october) some hotfix is also in the post "Obsolete and superseded hotfixes and updates".

The hotfixes in october with the same name are newest versions or i can bypass during installation?

Newbie1 :hello:

This is the list:

q313829

kb891711

kb925454

kb913296

USBmte

kb888113

kb837009

scr56en

q326728

q293818

q272137

q260067

q241084

q238453

@ soporific

Hi i see that in the last autopatcher (october) some hotfix is also in the post "Obsolete and superseded hotfixes and updates".

The hotfixes in october with the same name are newest versions or i can bypass during installation?

Newbie1 :hello:

This is the list:

q313829

kb891711

kb925454

kb913296

USBmte

kb888113

kb837009

scr56en

q326728

q293818

q272137

q260067

q241084

q238453

Yes, you can by-pass any superseded hotfixes ... the reason most of them are still there is due to the combinations of updates that are possible. Some people may choose not to install all the modules, and this means some superseded updates then become 'un-superseded'. Having said that, there are probably some i can take out now. I will try to get rid of all the unneeded ones before the next release. The complete list of hotfixes and updates that i maintain is the best list to use. I always update it before updating Auto-Patcher --- well that's the plan anyway. November 2007 UPGRADE is still coming ... one of these days :rolleyes:

Maybe i'm so stubborn... I'm spanishspoken and i need a spanish version because a english AutoPatcher98 over a Win98SE spanish instalation results in a ugly mix of spanish and english...

Of course, I know there are not all the files in spanish version, but at least the "more frequently visibles"...

I'm not really expert, but I got the AutoPatcher98 (november update), got some hotfixes in spanish, the IE6SP1 instalation in spanish, the Media Player 9 instalation in spanish and replace the files in AutoPatcher98...

Is an still running experiment i'm installing it right now in two test PCs and i still don't know how good or bad functions It was a very succesfull experiment, almost all visible element is in spanish (except by the net icon), but i get got many annoying messages about replacing QFECHECK in spanish with english version...

post-161517-1195688965_thumb.png

I know the reason is the hotfixes I don't found in spanish and there are still in english... Until this moment, looks like all the language version problem are about qfecheck, and due is used only for hotfixes instalation and is not used in day-to-day work, i don't mind have the qfecheck in english.

I think in simply accept qfecheck in english, but i'm almost sure that spanish and english hotfixes are in a mess, so anyway I should accept diferent qfecheck replacements... and anyway that's not the spirit but make it invisible (if possible).

I found some info about hotfix.exe and update.exe, but I cant find a switch that avoid this messages... anybody (0h! wise people) have an idea how avoid this messages?

If this could be resolve, then finally I will get an almost-fully-spanish functional.

Edited by Evazquezm

soporific, I'm getting exactly the same problem as Bankis.

The October full release installs OK but won't load, exactly as he describes.

The DOS window, both in normal and verbose mode, just disappears, with no error messages.

:(

I've tried running the August full release again, which I had already run and used successfully a couple of months ago, but it won't run now either! Exactly the same result.

It obviously isn't a problem with your program, something has changed, at least on my system (as the August release did work), which is now preventing the batch files from executing.

I have tried the Environment Space fix which you suggested, and it did what it said on the tin, but makes no difference to the problem.

I am intrigued by its adding of "REM -- please leave this REM line here" to autoexec.bat.

What does that do exactly?

Great program BTW, I was very impressed indeed with the August release when I did manage to run it!

:)