Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

i now the main function is to autopatch the windows 98 system

but the autopatcher contains 3trd Party Tools so i suggest the essential tools that im thinking about to use :whistle:

so the producer can chosen what he likes its only a suggestion there are 1000s of tools to integrat but these these small tools ARE VERY USEFUL LIKE TWEAK UI

so i fund other tweaks for Win 98

Big Open Box see there http://www.geocities.com/fredledingo/Bigopenbox.htm

System.ini ----- MinSps=8 , 16 http://www.windows-tweaks.info/html/stackoverflow3.html

Can for Win 98 better scanreg ----http://www.paehl.de/home.htm

Ihr Rechner ist zu langsam? Dann ist hier eine einfache, aber wirksame Methode, mehr aus dem System rauszuholen. Legen Sie eine neue Datei mit dem Namen MAXCACHE.REG an und fügen Sie den Inhalt zwischen den beiden Linien dort ein:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FS Templates]

@="Max Cache"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FS Templates\Max Cache]

@="Max Cache"

"NameCache"=hex:00,18,00,00

"PathCache"=hex:80,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FS Templates\Big Cache]

@="Big Cache"

"NameCache"=hex:80,13,00,00

"PathCache"=hex:68,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FS Templates\Med Cache]

@="Med Cache"

"NameCache"=hex:20,0f,00,00

"PathCache"=hex:50,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\control\FileSystem]

so you can chosen under controlpanel \ system\ performance \ filesystem what you want

:hello:

here is my regpatch after autopatcher installation

:whistle:

Regedit 4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\FDC000]

"ForceFifo"="0"

[Hkey_Current_User\ControlPanel\Desktop]

"HungAppTimeout"="1000"

"WaitToKillAppTimeout"="1000"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Identities\HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Identities\{C4633A00-8599-11DC-A001-E1DFE960187F}\Software\Microsoft\OutlookExpress\5.0]

"NoSplash"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Update]

"UpdateMode"=hex:00,00,00,00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Defrag\Settings\DisableScreenSaver]

"Default"="yes"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CD-ROM]

"Required Pause Tolerance"=hex:e7,13,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\CDFS]

"CacheSize"=dword:0x00000fa0

"Prefetch"=dword:0x00000320

"PrefetchTail"=dword:0x000000c8

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]

"ReadAheadThreshold"=hex:00,00,00,0f

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FS Templates]

@="Max Cache"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FS Templates\Super Cache]

@="Super Cache"

"NameCache"=hex:00,ff,00,00

"PathCache"=hex:ff,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FS Templates\Max Cache]

@="Max Cache"

"PathCache"=hex:c8,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FS Templates\Huge Cache]

@="Huge Cache"

"NameCache"=hex:80,13,00,00

"PathCache"=hex:90,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FS Templates\Large Cache]

@="Large Cache"

"NameCache"=hex:a0,0f,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FS Templates\Medium Cache]

@="Medium Cache"

"NameCache"=hex:20,0f,00,00

"PathCache"=hex:50,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\control\FileSystem]

"PathCache"=hex:c8,00,00,00

see attachments

so you can decide you want add this to autopatcher or not this tweaks are absolute save and tested

in the matter of the regpatches for IE and Explorer i tested it out

so in IE you can change settings but this have no affect in Registry only ----maxconnections changes

i repatch this with the regfiles from mdgx ----always the same :no:

i sent an email to mdgx about this something is wrong

have no answer until now

Boost.reg

ADVREG.ZIP

i found this very beautiful tweaks :wub:

for transparent icons

http://www.windows-tweaks.info/html/transparent3.html

transparent desktop

http://www.windows-tweaks.info/html/transdesk98.html

premium skins see attachment

http://www.windows-tweaks.info/html/designs3.html

nice new IE Explorer looks realy cool :yes:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar]

"BackBitmapIE5"=" Path to the BMP" downloa from Site below

http://www.windows-tweaks.info/html/iebackground3.html

Few tricks

Add copy,paste,cut in kontextmenue -recycle bin

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\Shell Folder

"Attributes"=hex:47,01,00,20

http://www.activewin.com/tips/reg/menus_4.shtml

uknown files open with notepad or what you want

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown\Shell\open\command]

"default"="C:\Windows\notepad.exe %1"

defrag in kontextmenu

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ Drive\shell\defrag]

"&defrag"="c:\windows\defrag. exe %1"

WinDesigns.reg

there are 1000s of tools to integrate

Precisely why a disk of useful tools should be a separate project.

Some people just want a fully patched system without 1000's of extra tools.

Put your tools in separate project, and those who want both, can install both.

No need for the two projects to merge.

Joe

I'm not certain, but some of the REG files created by MDGX may already be in Auto-Patcher. Soporific would be the one to ask. Cacheman 5.50 has a feature similar to your REG file that creates "LARGE, HUGE, SUPER, and MAX" cache settings. I've played with those a little, but didn't notice a huge difference in my system performance. Other factors, such as memory installed, applications running, how system is used, play a role here, so results may vary.

Joe

Edited by joe tweaker

You're right joe tweaker. Not being of the computer generation, a non techie, I just want a fully patched Win98SE OS, with everything current, not left in the July 2006 state. That's why I feel much better with AutoPatcher installed. I use many of these other tools but at my choice.

Go here -

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...105936&st=0

It is being bandied about to make this an installation project. The topic has been "stickified"; right now it is basically a list of the last-that-works-on-Win98SE software... ;) The song says "ya gotta keep 'em separated"... A full collection of this type of stuff (utilizing perhaps WPI for selective installs) would be a handy tools/add-on disk for the techie-types that have to repair old PC's... but make post suggestions over there in that topic instead...

(edit for clarification as to "where to work on / suggest optionals"; UBCD already includes WPI for many optionals...)

@soporific - Have noticed a lot of threads/posts regarding "questionable unofficial patches". A lot of work to installation procedures, but a suggestion - segregate official from unofficial. You don't want unofficial? Install all MS patches and be quiet! you want unoffical and more? Pick and choose and also be quiet! Might make this project more appealing to any nay-sayers. Your call... (p.s. newer NUSB available)

Edited by submix8c

Some people just want a fully patched system without 1000's of extra tools.

Put your tools in separate project, and those who want both, can install both.

No need for the two projects to merge.

1. I want to update my Win98SE system not upgrade it or install extra software.

2. I want to upgrade my Win98SE system with some useful but workable features of the operating system (or the things which Microsoft considered should be provided with the operating system).

3. I want to install utilities to make my Win98SE experience more fun, more efficient etc etc.

IMHO, soporific does an excellent job fulfilling "1" (which is soporific's primary aim I believe) and adding such things to fulfill "2" as are available (such as the MDGX WinMe upgrades). Isn't that enough work, soporific! :D

As far as "3", if anyone lists their "essential tools and utilities", every single one of us can list ours and you will be AMAZED at the vast array of "essential" software! For my money, when I build my Win98SE bootable CD, I include my own choice of utilities (many in DOS), the operating system, an up to date Antivirus program and the means of accessing something (local disk, network disk, internet etc) which allows me to get the other things I want (Shockwave, Flash Player etc). Go ahead with the separate project but please leave soporific the limited requirements which he meets so well! For my money, the separate project has been done elsewhere with all the BootCDs around (I never use them as I tend to build a new version of my own BootCD every now and then or stick it on a memory stick either of which takes very little time but I understand why some people prefer preformed BootCDs with someone else's idea of what is "essential".)

Go here - Last Versions of Software for 98SE. The topic has been "stickified"; right now it is basically a list of the last-that-works-on-Win98SE software... A full collection of this type of stuff (utilizing perhaps WPI for selective installs) would be a handy tools/add-on disk for the techie-types that have to repair old PC's... but please post suggestions over there, in that topic...
Every single one of us can list our "essential tools and utilities" and you will be AMAZED at the vast array of "essential" software!

I for one would love to learn what apps and utilities others use every day, and consider the "top dog" in each software category. But I totally agree with Submix8c, that Galah's topic "Last Versions for 98SE" is a better place for that discussion. See you there.

Edited by joe tweaker

@soporific - Have noticed a lot of threads/posts regarding "questionable unofficial patches". A lot of work to installation procedures, but a suggestion - segregate official from unofficial. You don't want unofficial? Install all MS patches and be quiet! you want unoffical and more? Pick and choose and also be quiet! Might make this project more appealing to any nay-sayers. Your call... (p.s. newer NUSB available)

You're right, it is something that would be good to implement, and it is a "little" bit of work but a good suggestion nonetheless. Let me mull it over (literally).

IMHO, soporific does an excellent job fulfilling "1" (which is soporific's primary aim I believe) and adding such things to fulfill "2" as are available (such as the MDGX WinMe upgrades). Isn't that enough work, soporific! :D

Briton has it basically right ... the emphasis is on the updates as opposed to bells and whistles, but the precise formula i use when deciding whether or not to include a 3rd party app is this:

1) the app MUST provide functionality for everyday tasks that is missing from the native OS. eg, InfraRecorder was included to add CD burning capability to the OS. Karen's Directory Printer was included to add more ways of manipulating folders and lists of files.

2) Size matters and so very small apps may get in even if they don't exactly satisfy the first point, and big size apps may NOT get it even though it may be very useful to include it. I haven't got an example of this but it shouldn't be too hard to understand where i'm coming from.

I for one would love to learn what apps and utilities others use every day, and consider the "top dog" in each software category. But I totally agree with Submix8c, that Galah's topic "Last Versions for 98SE" is a better place for that discussion. See you there.
I agree!

LATEST NEWS: i have a working copy of the FULL October release of AP but i'm doing more tests than usual, especially in conjunction with Revolutions Pack. There was a bad update in either the August or September release of AP which stuffs up the RP installation. So, this is now a priority, i won't release until it plays well with Tihiy's baby. Hopefully coming soon.

Hi soporific, nice to hear October AP is rolling in!

I think you're right to do some extra testing this time round since including RP7 is a notable change in AP.

Have you considered re-including .NET Framework 2.0 - or more to the point, found a reliable slient install method?

I've had it installed since it was released by MS and have installed the updates 922481 (MS06-033 917283) and 922770 (MS06-056).

Currently I cannot get .NET 2.0 update 928365 (MS07-040 931212) to install though...

AP would be complete with .NET 2.0... :whistle:

BTW, I assume that your .NET FW 1.1 includes Service Pack 1 867460 (885055)?

What about post 1.1 SP1 updates 925168 and 928366 (MS07-040 931212)?

I have these two Post 1.1 SP1 updates installed.

Hey Submix8c me mate, yeah I could go that way, but that would be giving too much credit to Microsoft for what they have given us to play with. Which is hardly anything. All the main crucial updates to the OS come from the unofficial updates and so the official/unofficial categories aren't relevant for the purposes of auto-patcher. Anything i'm not certain about becomes optional or goes into the manual installs folder. And now that we've had that episode with those MSXML updates i'm being much more careful before releasing, both with testing and also with 'beta' releases. And don't forget that MDGx is the main source for my updates and he gets it right 99.9999% of the time so we're in pretty safe hands. Most complaints are usually about my bugs :blushing: if anything. But thanks for this suggestion, it was worthy of a reply.

Have you considered re-including .NET Framework 2.0 - or more to the point, found a reliable slient install method?

I've had it installed since it was released by MS and have installed the updates 922481 (MS06-033 917283) and 922770 (MS06-056).

Currently I cannot get .NET 2.0 update 928365 (MS07-040 931212) to install though...

I originally had it included but took it out in a fit after it started acting up on me. But that was my fault, not .Net 2.0s fault. I'm starting to seriously think about modifying the structure to be able to release 2 versions, the essentials and then the extras pack. Like the now defunct official autopatcher was starting to do. It will mean coding a new system but its getting to the point that i need to bite the bullet and get to work. I've got to get my other projects finished though. We'll see...

NEWS: the new auto-patcher will be out when its ready, sorry i can't be more precise! I will post a change_log list soon, and i am investigating all issues people have reported. Please keep hassling me if i haven't responded for a bit, sorry, i have my fingers in too many pies to keep everyone happy. I'm very naughty like that ...

Edited by soporific

Nov 10:

The October 2007 FULL release is now available from here:

October 2007 FULL - 264 MB - MD5: D8E724A439750AFFC48440B0B1DA54EB

- this release will not fix the problems people were experiencing with the last release, i will include any fixes i come up with in the next UPGRADE release.

- the upgrade pack will be out soonish. It's going to be big due to DirectX 9.0c August 2007

change log for October 2007:

new: kb939653 - Unofficial Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 6 sp1

new: kb938977 - Unofficial 2007 Updates to Time Zone Daylight Saving Time Settings

update: RichEd9x - Unofficial Rich Text Controls Update (Oct 07)

update: DX_Media - Unofficial DirectX Media Update for IE 6 sp1 (Oct 07)

update: RootsUpd - Root Certificate Update October 2007 (14.0.2195.0)

update: DirectX9 - DirectX 9.0c (August 2007)

removed: kb937143 - Unofficial Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 6 sp1

removed: kb933360 - Unofficial 2007 Updates to Time Zone Daylight Saving Time Settings

new file: Q891711, Shell98, OleUp, kb918547 (reason: fixes to issues to do with installing)

updated: Revolutions Pack 7.11 -- with a better installer as well

updated: KernelEx 0.32a (manual installs folder)

Thanks as usual to MDGx for being the main source for Auto-Patcher content changes! :thumbup

Edited by soporific