Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

@soporific: Glad to see you here again! :thumbup Hope you can now be around more.

@pixturesk: In my opinion, the double-boot config is the way to go. And I do favor a set up using Grub4DOS, which permits both set-ups to be fully independent. What I like to do is: set up 98SE in the first active partitition of the master HDD, with all other drives disconnected, image it and remove it. Then set up XP on FAT-32, again in the first active partitition of the master HDD, also with all other drives disconnected. Deploy the previously saved image of 98SE on the first active partitition of the slave HDD. Set the machine to boot from slave. It'll boot 98SE as C:. Add Grub4DOS to the config.sys, in a [menu] item for it alone. Use Grub4DOS to invert the HDDs and launch XP from the menu.lst. So my machine always boots to DOS as C:, then jumps to XP as C:, if I let it alone. But I can have it boot to 98SE (as C:) from the Grub4DOS menu. If you're interested in this I can give you a more detailed walkthrough. And don't forget about cannie's double-boot tutorial for other good ways of double-booting.

Thanks Sop, Dencorso. Your approach is a bit much for my non-techie brain. Upon sober reflection because I have a pristine Norton Ghost image of my AP, RP 98SE configuration which works perfectly, I might just format my "C" drive, then install the XP Pro Corporate I have on its own, play with it for awhile see how it goes. With my 98SE, I am using a combo of Avast, Super AntiSpyware Free, Spyware Blaster, Sygate Personal Firewall, HiJack This, CCleaner, Diskeeper Lite, so my machine is pretty pristine. Even on GRC.com, the first 1056 ports are completely stealth, I get a perfect score, to a hacker my computer does not even exist on the internet, great feeling of security. Without Sop's guidance, software, I would not be with 98SE this long,MANY THANKS!!!. I am also experimenting with an iMac G3/400 (circa 2000) running the Panther OS (the XP equivalent), a great experience since there are no viruses (no registry in a Mac), no crashes, software installs/uninstalls are so easy, iTunes is fantastic, connects to my dsl automatically, as contemporary, in many ways, as a current PC. I am on the lookout for a G5 with a quicker processor, more ram, greater video capabilities etc, just might make the switch completely to a Mac, or keep both a PC + a Mac running just for a variety of experiences. just exploring all my options. Hate to leave 98SE but it is becoming more difficult to attempt some of the things I want. I tried KernelEX but really caused a lot of problems, would not work with any program. If I go the XP route, I see there is an AutoPatcher (325meg file) for it. Is that any connection with you Sop!!. Is it worth installing? Anyways, lots to think about, just don't want to get left without an anti-virus program. Thanks, Ken.

@dencorso: Great info regarding dual booting with Grub ... and i'm still around if you know where to look :)

@Ken: i think your plan sounds logical ... i think a move to XP is the way to go, no i'm not connected with AutoPatcher for XP but i do still use it. If you do go the XP route, i will send you a link to the autoPatcher installer that i created for myself which will make life easier for you.

Thanks Sop. I'll take you up on that AP for XP installer that you use when I actually tryout XP, come to think of it perhaps you can just post or send me that link now so I have it, won't have to bother you for it again. I am on the lookout for a machine with higher specs than mine to try XP, my current computer is not worth investing any more money, when P4's with much higher specs are very inexpensive here where I am. Dencorso, I made a text document out of that dual boot tutorial, thanks. Guys, it might take me awhile to get my XP act together but will get back to the group as soon as I have something concrete to report. Again Sop, thanks sincerely for all your assistance, I have never enjoyed my computing experience as much since coming upon this group + having the opportunity to exchange ideas to learn from such a congenial. thoughtful host. Whatever, I choose, I will not lose touch with this group. Ken.

• 3 months later...

Soporific,

Thank you for Auto-Patcher.

RE: kb951066: Unofficial Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6 sp1.

A few days ago I re-installed Windows 98SE (including Outlook Express).

I then ran the latest Auto-Patcher (Dec 2007 Final + Dec 2008 Upgrade) and installed the Internel Explorer 6 sp1 and hofixes in the Internet Explorer Module.

One of these hotfixes was: kb951066-Unofficial Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6 sp1.

I decided to remove Outlook Express and found these two entries in Start/ Settings/Control Panel/Add/Remove:

1) Microsoft Outlook Express 6

2) Outlook Express Q951066

To make a long story short, I tried to remove "Outlook Express Q951066" first and the following message appeared on my screen:

"Internet Explorer Update

Invalid INF file

OK"

I'm fairly new at this and was hoping that someone here could explain what makes "Q951066.inf" "invalid".

Note that "Q951066" (in c:\WINDOWS) only reads:

"(Version)

OSVersion=4.10

(Strings)

IEVersion=6.0.2800.1106)

jp

Edited by Sound Lover

• 4 weeks later...

I am trying to establish for myself, and perhaps others, what is the proper order for applying this and other fine work from the board to a fresh installation of 98SE.

A search of the board yields contradictory and, often, out of date answers. And although I think that a comprehensive answer to this question deserves ultimately to be made into a sticky, a new thread may fail to attract the attention of those familiar with the Autopatcher which is probably the most essential element of such an installation.

My best take on the matter would be this:

0. 98SE CD

1. 98lite chubby for 98Se installation - optional

2. Autopatcher Dec2007Full + Dec2008 update

a. TweakUI for autologin

b. directx 9c

c. dcom

d. IE 6 - optional

e. Jet - opitonal (include for security updates)

f. critical updates, etc.

g. other stuff to taste

- java and other third-party stuff perhaps best installed manually if the destination it be a driver other than C:

4. Hardware drivers

5. WordPerfect - optional (see 9. below)

6. 98SE2ME - optional but highly recommended

-2nd install option again recommended

-3rd install option not recommended for reasons of speed and compatibility

7. 98MP10 - optional (for those installing Media Player via Autopatcher?)

8. Kernel Update Project - optional but highly recommended

9. Revolution Pack 9 - optional but recommended

- clear type is beautiful but messes cosmetically with Grammatik in WordPerfect

- possibly prevents WordPerfect from installing correctly, and in particular the spell checker from functioning, if installed before WordPerfect

10. Software generally (Word, Open Office, etc.)

Please offer corrections, suggestions, alternatives.

In particular, are there still packages that should be applied before autopatcher (SESp2.1a en,WUPG98en, etc.)?

The goal is make such fine work as accessible as possible. So thank you for contributing.

[3. was edited out of existence based upon soporific's response below.]

Edited by cure

Soporific,

To make a long story short, I tried to remove "Outlook Express Q951066" first and the following message appeared on my screen:

Invalid INF file

OK"

I'm fairly new at this and was hoping that someone here could explain what makes "Q951066.inf" "invalid".

I'm not sure, but you could ask this question in its own thread, may get more replies.

Equally, I am unclear as why Autopatcher must be applied in two steps and how that is even done.

Hi there, i haven't been involved in Win98 stuff for over a year now, i'm probably not the best to ask. But i will clear up the question above -- you should only need to use AutoPatcher once. However, i haven't released a full version of the 2008 edition, its only available as an upgrade. So, first, make an up-to-date AutoPatcher by installing 2007 and then installing 2008 over it.

Hope this helps.

Guest wsxedcrfv
I am trying to establish for myself, and perhaps others, what is the proper order for applying this and other fine work from the board to a fresh installation of 98SE.

Perhaps this is in your list but not explicitly - where would you put a trip to WindowsUpdate.com on your list?

Perhaps this is in your list but not explicitly - where would you put a trip to WindowsUpdate.com on your list?

I think you missed :lol: from the end of your post!

Soporific,

Invalid INF file

OK"

I'm not sure, but you could ask this question in its own thread, may get more replies.
?Did the install fail? Looking inside the Unofficial, I see a different content. Go here, scroll down to it, download/reinstall and see what happens...

I believe, based upon my reading of the boards, that it is necessary at best and damaging at worst, as unofficial updates may not be recognised and may, consequently, get stamped out of existence (so far as you system goes).

.... why are you still persisting with Windows Update? MS hasn't touched it since July 2006, and AutoPatcher (and other update packs) install newer hotfixes that WU doesn't know about, and thus gets it wrong when saying you don't have stuff installed. Please DO NOT use Windows Update for Windows 98 se systems, its a waste of time. Cheers!

HTH

Guest wsxedcrfv

> why are you still persisting with Windows Update? MS hasn't touched it since July 2006,

> and AutoPatcher (and other update packs) install newer hotfixes that WU doesn't

> know about, and thus gets it wrong when saying you don't have stuff installed.

Why wouldn't it make sense to create an autopatcher that can take a win-98se system from the point where WindowsUpdates ends (july 2006) and simply add additional patches and fixes after that point?

Even using the existing patchers, why wouldn't they work if I install 98, immediately perform all WindowsUpdates, and then run an auto-patcher after that?

Why not modify the current auto-patchers and give them the ability to ask the user if they've already performed a full windowsupdate already, so that they know to only install the newer stuff after July 2006?

Why wouldn't it make sense to create an autopatcher that can take a win-98se system from the point where WindowsUpdates ends (july 2006) and simply add additional patches and fixes after that point?

Even using the existing patchers, why wouldn't they work if I install 98, immediately perform all WindowsUpdates, and then run an auto-patcher after that?

Why not modify the current auto-patchers and give them the ability to ask the user if they've already performed a full windowsupdate already, so that they know to only install the newer stuff after July 2006?

You really need to read or re-read, whichever  is appropriate, post #1 in this thread. Particularly the information under the heading Auto-Patcher features.

It does all the points you are asking from fully patching, with both official and unofficial updates and hotfixes, any 98SE system from a clean install all the way past July 2006 right up to December 2008 and from any point in between.

It will only install what is missing or what you want it to install. Heck!, if you are paranoid it will just list what updates are missing from your system.

This is one mighty impressive program that really does allow for a re-install of 98SE being thinkable which would otherwise be an extremely daunting task indeed.