Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

- Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009)

If KB837009 is already in Auto-patcher, why doesn't WinUpdate recognize it? That update is dated 2004. Should I be concerned? I use Outlook Express.

technoid, dude, why are you still persisting with Windows Update? MS hasn't touched it since July 2006, and AutoPatcher (and other update packs) install newer hotfixes that WU doesn't know about, and thus gets it wrong when saying you don't have stuff installed. Please DO NOT use Windows Update for Windows 98 se systems, its a waste of time. Cheers!

I second that emoticon. I'm hanging on by a thread and a prayer. I've lost the little network program in my system tray. I cannot use the 512 meg NVidia video card I bought. Something I did made my system unstable and I had to go back from 1 G RAM to 512meg. Following some advice I found somewhere I haven't scanned my hard drive for errors according to the Properties for 1154 days. I did use DiskLite 72 days ago on my Drive C but not the logicals they are at 1054 days. I'm hoping to stay with Windows 98 Second Edition til the 64 bit machines are everywhere.

Soporific please don't abandon AutoPatcher98.

I feel safe with it.

Lorraine

Trenton, Ontario, Canada

AutoPatcher has a couple of Tweak items in it for the RAM size problems. These Tweaks are also referenced in this thread which also has some additional valuable tools, information, and links.

Not sure what the answer might be to the NVidia. Just may not be compatible at all :unsure: .

Here is a potential fix to the Network Icon Missing. Don't know if this will help or not. (I've used it already).

README.TXT -

To stop Connections Systray (on the right) from running:
- Double-click on TOOLS9SU.REG
- Reboot
- Program can be still be accessed via
"Connection_Manager Network Connections Replacement Tool"
in Start Menu->Programs->Accessories->System Tools
(shortcut may be copied into main menu anywhere within "Windows\Start Menu"

To reinstate Systray execution (what automatically happens during install)
- Double-click on TOOLS9SI.REG
- Reboot

TOOLS9SU.REG -

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{35CEC8A3-2BE6-11D2-8773-92E220524153}]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad]
"SysTray"=""

TOOLS9SI.REG -

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{35CEC8A3-2BE6-11D2-8773-92E220524153}]
@="SysTray"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{35CEC8A3-2BE6-11D2-8773-92E220524153}\InprocServer32]
@="STOBJECT.DLL"
"ThreadingModel"="Both"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad]
"SysTray"="{35CEC8A3-2BE6-11D2-8773-92E220524153}"

Note that the above REG files have an "ENTER" at he end of the last line (cursor at next line), otherwise it won't work (rule of REG files).

HTH

- Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009)

If KB837009 is already in Auto-patcher, why doesn't WinUpdate recognize it? That update is dated 2004. Should I be concerned? I use Outlook Express.

technoid, dude, why are you still persisting with Windows Update? MS hasn't touched it since July 2006, and AutoPatcher (and other update packs) install newer hotfixes that WU doesn't know about, and thus gets it wrong when saying you don't have stuff installed. Please DO NOT use Windows Update for Windows 98 se systems, its a waste of time. Cheers!

Hehehe, ok, I know I can be stubborn at times. But does this mean that Microsoft did make a 98se-specific update to KB837009 and didn't put it up on the 98se windows update? Or are Outlook Express updates not OS-specific?

• 4 weeks later...

This needs to be addressed!

Worm-Autorun-1793 is the designation used by ClamWin - designations for this virus used by other AVs can be found at: http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/fe9d79d...4a91541dc369e8a

Scan Started Sun May 03 10:44:55 2009

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

G:\Program Files\AutoPatcher\files\3rdParty\TaskMan.exe: Worm.Autorun-1793 FOUND

G:\Program Files\AutoPatcher\files\Hotfixes\NativUSB.exe: Worm.Autorun-1793 FOUND

G:\Program Files\AutoPatcher\files\Hotfixes\q285189.exe: Worm.Autorun-1793 FOUND

----------- SCAN SUMMARY -----------

Known viruses: 548585

Engine version: 0.94.1

Scanned directories: 66

Scanned files: 892

Infected files: 3

Data scanned: 1145.61 MB

Time: 1622.990 sec (27 m 2 s)

--------------------------------------

Completed

Welcome to the world of false-positives! There, it's addressed.

What, you need more info than that?

Ok, the thing in common with all of those files is that they are custom designed silent installers that were created by me. They are designed to extract then run (ie "Autorun"). Notice how the report fails to mention any specific name for the worm, just that it is of type "Autorun" -- yep, that's what they are supposed to do.

Sigh.

This needs to be addressed!

Worm-Autorun-1793 is the designation used by ClamWin - designations for this virus used by other AVs can be found at: http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/fe9d79d...4a91541dc369e8a

Scan Started Sun May 03 10:44:55 2009

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

G:\Program Files\AutoPatcher\files\3rdParty\TaskMan.exe: Worm.Autorun-1793 FOUND

G:\Program Files\AutoPatcher\files\Hotfixes\NativUSB.exe: Worm.Autorun-1793 FOUND

G:\Program Files\AutoPatcher\files\Hotfixes\q285189.exe: Worm.Autorun-1793 FOUND

Edited by soporific

• 1 month later...
No more Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se ?

The download link seems to be broken. I hope the project isn't abandoned !

No, the project has not been abandoned, just a website problem.

The website and download links are back on-line again.

No more Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se ?

The download link seems to be broken. I hope the project isn't abandoned !

No, the project has not been abandoned, just a website problem.

The website and download links are back on-line again.

Thanks, I just downloaded the program last night. Thanks for the help !

• 1 month later...

I don't like packages I can not get into and I can't get into these.

It's not that I don't trust you, it's just that I Trust No One!

Suggestion: if you must package in an installer then use one that can be opened with winzip.

Question: how does the upgrade pack relate to the final pack? Just how are these packages meant to be installed.

I know writing documentation is not kewl but ...

Whatever idea you had in your head is quite safe, it didn't escape to the wider world.

TBB opaque packaging with no explanation goes in the bit bucket.

That is not a threat, so please don't be a "wannabea victim" and respond as if it is. It is how I manage my system.

If I could get into the packages I would not have to waste time with this message.

--

Sweet William

... ...

--

Sweet William

William, Sweet or Otherwise,

I think you will find the list of what is in these packages in the 57 pages of this thread. Alternatively you could install the package (which actually makes no changes other than to unwrap the packages and place them where you want them, but then of course you won't trust my statement to that effect either!) and have a look at the batch files that do the work, and the directories of files available to install.

To answer your question: Install the full package (December 07), then install the upgrade pack (08) over the top of it, then run the batch file.

Sadly, I cannot avoid a comment on the tone of your post. You must either be rather new to this forum, or very lonely. If the former, hang around a bit and you will soon suss out who can be trusted. If the latter we will soon learn whether to trust you. I think you will find that many here have decided to trust soporific's packages, and have happily used them to update their machines. You are free to choose otherwise as you wish; but please, don't come over all aggressive just because you haven't yet learned how to tell the good guys apart from the bad guys. Of course if the whole idea is as bad as you claim, then you are completely free to put it all in the bit bucket. No need to make such a song and dance routine out of it. Just do it quietly and move on, managing your system exactly as you please.

Jeff

North of Watford,

You echo my thoughts entirely on this in your very well worded reply.

William,

If you had managed to get to page 1, post #1, of the 57 pages, #1137 posts in this thread you will see that it was dated Aug 16 2006.

It is sad that you feel, after almost three years, you have the need to criticise the packages creator.

Soporific has done a terrific job in this sub-forum, although sadly not as active in it as he used to be having moved onto other projects.

I was always taught that, we are born with two ears, two eyes but only one mouth and to use them in those quantities.

Try it yourself! It will bear fruits in the long term, believe me!

Colin

Suggestion: if you must package in an installer then use one that can be opened with winzip.

Question: how does the upgrade pack relate to the final pack? Just how are these packages meant to be installed.

I know writing documentation is not kewl but ...

Whatever idea you had in your head is quite safe, it didn't escape to the wider world.

TBB opaque packaging with no explanation goes in the bit bucket.

That is not a threat, so please don't be a "wannabea victim" and respond as if it is. It is how I manage my system.

If I could get into the packages I would not have to waste time with this message.

--

Sweet William

Have you even tried just Running them?

All they do in the beggining is extract the content to the folder you choose.

The .exe is simply a wrapper. Just that alone.

You wasted a lot of breath and time when 3 clicks would have answered al of your problems.