Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

Just a heads up about a possible problem with the version of the Adobe Shockwave player in the latest Auto-Patcher.

I had been using version 10.2.xxx for some time, which certainly works fine with Windows 98 and I think is the last version to be officially 98 compatible. AP contains a version of 10.3.xxx which is supposed to work with Windows 98 OK.

In my experience, although it installs OK and appears to work, it still has some issues.

What was happening on my system was that it would run OK in Internet Explorer and would display the content OK, but on navigating away from the page, or shutting IE, the browser would immediately crash badly, usually resulting in me having to reboot.

Try as I might I couldn't resolve this, so I've gone back to version 10.2. and all is fine again.

This may not happen on every system of course, but I thought it worth mentioning just in case it happens to anyone else. If you have an installer file for shockwave 10.2 don't trash it just yet!

:)

This may have been asked before but could find nothing by searching. Wolud the Autopatcher work on a Mellineum Edition install? I have to reinstall my ME and Autopatcher (used April 2008) did such a good job on my wife's 98SE, i would really like to use it.

DLSayremn, a grateful user of AutoPatcher.

Sorry, Auto-Patcher For Windows 98SE will not work on any version other than 98SE.

Most of the updates are very specific to 98SE...

But hey, you have to ask right? (The old saying: "If you don't ask, you don't get". But sometimes you don't get even if you do ask!)

Now there's a project: Auto-Patcher for Windows Me!

For those wanting something for Windows Me, there is the (beta) Service Pack for Windows ME: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=61407

• 1 month later...
It's working for me now also, must have been a temporary glitch.

Urge

Something is still wrong, as going to the site one is shown the directory and file list, not the normal web pages ... ...

Can anyone confirm whether this project is still alive?

... but looking at the file dates shows that Soporific has been spending a lot of time on his Win XP projects of late. Maybe he has lost interest in Win98?

Regarding AutoPatcher for Win98:

* i originally made it to save me heaps of time patching win98 machines

* i stopped using win98 myself a few years ago but still kept up with keeping AutoPatcher updated because i was still seeing machines that were running Win98 that i was being asked to patch.

* recently, i have been using it much much less and so it doesn't need updating nearly as much.

* i won't be releasing updates any sooner than once a year, unless there is a very good reason to.

* expect the next update in December this year.

i hope that clears stuff up. I'm not too fussed about the loss of sticky status.

Thanks for the update soporific.

:thumbup

Glad the project isn't dead.

A new version once a year, even if it's only a cumulative update to a permanent final full version (Dec 2007?), would be very welcome.

It's not just the patches, important though they are of course, it's the extra enhancements developed by those like yourself which I much appreciate.

I realise that you can get most of them individually, often directly from their authors, but having them all in one package is a big advantage.

BTW, while you're here, do you know if anyone has managed to modify the Windows 98 Explorer files so that "My Documents" appears at the top of the tree in the left hand pane, as it is on Windows 2000/XP?

It has always really annoyed me that it's at the bottom. Why MS designed it like that I cannot understand!

Thanks again.

Dave.

Thanks for the update soporific.

:thumbup

Glad the project isn't dead.

I second that emoticon. I'm hanging on by a thread and a prayer. I've lost the little network program in my system tray. I cannot use the 512 meg NVidia video card I bought. Something I did made my system unstable and I had to go back from 1 G RAM to 512meg. Following some advice I found somewhere I haven't scanned my hard drive for errors according to the Properties for 1154 days. I did use DiskLite 72 days ago on my Drive C but not the logicals they are at 1054 days. I'm hoping to stay with Windows 98 Second Edition til the 64 bit machines are everywhere.

Soporific please don't abandon AutoPatcher98.

I feel safe with it.

Lorraine

Trenton, Ontario, Canada

This A-P topic is still on the sticky list [has never been removed]:

Hi MDGx, what has changed is that this topic is no longer a sticky in the Important Topics section of the Windows 9x Member Projects Forum.

This A-P topic is still on the sticky list [has never been removed]:

Hi MDGx, what has changed is that this topic is no longer a sticky in the Important Topics section of the Windows 9x Member Projects Forum.

Indeed, that's what I was actually referring to as well!

Yes, I noticed that this AP thread was not sticky too, several weeks ago.

Having the latest AP 2008 upgrade, I became curious and checked the Windows Update site again, today. In there, it said I did not have the following on my PC after it scanned it:

- Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009)

If KB837009 is already in Auto-patcher, why doesn't WinUpdate recognize it? That update is dated 2004. Should I be concerned? I use Outlook Express.