Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

Java up to version 6 update 7 will co-exist with other Java versions.

If you use Windows Explorer and browse to C:\Program Files\Java (assuming Windows is on C:), you will see a folder for each Java install.

In most cases, you can safely de-install old Java versions from Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs.

* Never delete folders directly from \Program Files - always use the software's uninstaller.

As a side note, starting with Java 6 update 10, Java will always default to \Program Files\Java\jre6.

So for example, installing Java 6 update 11 will replace Java 6 update 10 including the Add/Remove Programs entry.

However, currently update 10 and 11 will not install on 9x... :(

:hello: RootsCertUpdate(nov2008) not installing(1st Attempt),have to use TryAgain Routine after AP98 reboots.(Unless already installed?by MDIE6CU25e ???); :blushing: ***Check for changes in Kernel Ex:as System File Checker says its missing after APDec'08 finishes all installs ? Just Point SystemFileRestore to Kex0.3.6 files and all is Great again :thumbup All's Okay other than those minor squeeks :rolleyes:

A few things with AP Dec 2008:

- Anvir Task Manager Free 4.9.0 installs even when I select to by-pass...

It did however correctly detect that I had a newer version installed.

The current version is 5.4.1: http://www.download.com/AnVir-Task-Manager...2_4-187812.html

It still works nicely in 9x.

- kb951072 (Aug 2008 Time Zones) is looping - I already had it installed, although I don't think this is the problem...

- The Windows Update Fix is still listed in Manual Installs index.rtf file.

Change Requests (Codecs): :rolleyes:

- Xvid Codec 1.2.1: http://www.koepi.info/xvid.html

- AC3Filter Codec 1.51a: http://ac3filter.net/project/1/releases

These two codecs are probably the most useful to have in Windows 98SE.

Thanks Sop :hello: for pulling together the fastest AP release ever!

9x'ers are certainly a dying breed, but still alive and kicking for now!

Let's see if 2009 can be another year for 9x - Windows 98 Second Edition turns 10 years old in exactly 4 months! (April 23, 2009)

Actually, MS update binaries have been quite good in 9x most of this year - it's almost as if... Nah, no one at Micro$oft is on our side...

More Change Requests (Useful tools):

- PowerArchiver 6.11 (last freeware version): http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/fi...powerarc611.zip

- CCleaner 2.15: http://www.ccleaner.com/

- Paragon NTFS for 98: http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-...8/download.html

Edited by RetroOS

• 4 weeks later...

am going to try AP on a fresh install. It looks like a very well thoughtout collection, that will help to keep 98 going. I'm trying a 2k install, and cannot for the life of me figure out what use groups, and user accounts are. none of that useless commotion will keep Echelon pirates off my hdd, it only confuses the heck out of me -- I install open office, and then can't run macros in 2k that work great in 98! arghh.

I was wondering, do I (a) install 98se, then run AP.Dec2007full (to update 98se), then run AP.Dec2008update (to update 98se), or do I (b) run the install 98se, run AP update (to update APfull itself), then run AP full (to update 98se)?

I'm going to try installing 98 on a intel chipset core2duo with 2g and a 500g ide-sata. I'll probably partition the hdd with 4 fat extended parts at 120g and 2 10g primaries, one hidden.

I was wondering, do I (a) install 98se, then run AP.Dec2007full (to update 98se), then run AP.Dec2008update (to update 98se), or do I (B) run the install 98se, run AP update (to update APfull itself), then run AP full (to update 98se)?

I'm going to try installing 98 on a intel chipset core2duo with 2g and a 500g ide-sata. I'll probably partition the hdd with 4 fat extended parts at 120g and 2 10g primaries, one hidden.

Molecule, hi there! lol, your post was funny, i know where you're coming from with the new features coming out of left field when you're so used to a single user machine. If only Windows XP had a single user mode.

2 things:

1) AP.Dec2008update only updates AP.Dec2007full to AP.Dec2008full, so the correct order is to install the OS, install AP.Dec2007full and the update for it, then run AP.Dec2008full to update your machine.

2) you'll most likely find you can't install Windows 98 on newer motherboards due to the way the memory works with newer technology. Even if you find one you can install it on, Win98 can only use one of the CPUs. Also, you can only use 1 GB of RAM -- if you have 2 GB installed, you will have to configure Windows 98 to only use 1 GB and you'll need to have only 1 GB installed when installing the OS.

hope this helps,

Sop.

:hello: @Soporific:Hey, i tried(x,xxx,xxx,xxx-times to install Dec2007Final after 98SE CdRom ;but there always needs to be some "Older Appl's and Updates(which are in Dec2007 version,but install from the Oct2007 version-Better?)". Be sure all your MoBo's Drivers(Audio,Vga,Ethernet...,etc.) are installed first,before any "Updates!".And it's always a lot "Quicker" to set TweakUI 1.33 into Auto-login Mode,if you login on your computer=45minute install :thumbup

Certain drivers (such as video or sound) require a newer DirectX/IE version in order to install, so it's best to only install chipset (and maybe NIC) drivers first, update DirectX/IE/DCOM and whatever else may be needed and only then install video/sound drivers.

There may be other drivers too requiring updated components, so unfortunately there's no fixed frame as to the install order. The best solution I can envision - provided the user already knows about such requirements - would be to allow custom (user-defined) install order of certain components.

Since the batch file that basicall does all the AP job seems to be quite fussy about free memory (too many variables or whatever), I've been thinking of a fairly complex AutoHotkey script that could replace it. Unfortunately, I'm caught up with important family issues now and can't pursue the idea but hopefully we could make an attempt sometime soon.

This may have been asked before but could find nothing by searching. Wolud the Autopatcher work on a Mellineum Edition install? I have to reinstall my ME and Autopatcher (used April 2008) did such a good job on my wife's 98SE, i would really like to use it.

DLSayremn, a grateful user of AutoPatcher.

This may have been asked before but could find nothing by searching. Wolud the Autopatcher work on a Mellineum Edition install? I have to reinstall my ME and Autopatcher (used April 2008) did such a good job on my wife's 98SE, i would really like to use it.

DLSayremn, a grateful user of AutoPatcher.

Sorry, Auto-Patcher For Windows 98SE will not work on any version other than 98SE.

Most of the updates are very specific to 98SE...

But hey, you have to ask right? (The old saying: "If you don't ask, you don't get". But sometimes you don't get even if you do ask!)

Now there's a project: Auto-Patcher for Windows Me!

I have just tried using the December 2008 update version of AP, and I'm afraid that I'm running into exactly the same problem that I had a year ago with the December 2007 full version.

It just won't run!

I tried running the update version and it told me that it was "missing a file" that was necessary for it to work.

(Unfortunately it neglected to mention exactly what file it was missing!)

I realised that it actually had to have the full version also installed.

I had used the full version when it came out, but hadn't left it installed on the system to save disk space.

I reinstalled the full version, and then installed the update version.

All fine, but when I tried to run START_ME.bat, I got exactly the same result as when I first tried the full version a year ago. The DOS window just opens and immediately closes again, without any error messages.

I solved this a year ago by editing down my autoexec.bat file, and once I'd got it to work I saved the revised file for future use. Unfortunately, if I try to run the upgrade version with the revised autoexec.bat that worked fine with the full version a year ago, it still doesn't work!

Exactly the same result as with the normal autoexec.bat.

It just runs and immediately closes again.

The DOS "mem" command in a DOS prompt window with Windows running tells me that the "largest executable program size" is 572k, which doesn't seem unreasonable.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks, Dave.

:)

<EDIT Jan 23rd>

Well, I finally sorted it after a lot of messing around.

It would only run if I completely disabled my autoexec.bat and config.sys files.

I'm sure that didn't work last time!

:)

Edited by Dave-H

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I'm new. I recently installed Windows 98SE on one of my older systems and I decided to tryout the auto-patcher. So I installed the AutoPatcher98.Dec.07.Final.(Zip.version) first and installed just about everything minus some optional componenets. I then ran into a similar problem as the person who posted above me. I ran the AutoPatcher98.Dec08_UPGRADE and it ran through it's installer program and put itself into my start menu but when it actually tried to installed the upgrade it does the following;

Loading Auto-Patcher for Windows 98se...

Auto-Patcher for Windows 98 SE (english)

Hi there. The program can't continue because I can't find a file that

is necessary for everything to work. If you have downloaded a small

RAR file without downloading the main program release (over 200 mb)

then you need to get the main program first. Visit the homepage at:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=80800

and the download location will be there.

If you think this is a program error, then please visit the forum

and post about your situation. Sorry to get your hopes up!

Press any key to continue...

Not sure what to do at this point. Any help is apprieciated.

Hi krimmy! Welcome to MSFN :hello:

It looks like you de-installed the Dec 2007 install files before installing the Dec 2008 installer.

You need to leave the Dec 2007 installer installed, since the Dec 2008 upgrade changes the Dec 2007 installer files to create the full Dec 2008 installer...

Think of Dec 2008 upgrade as an incremental update to the Dec 2007 install files.

Ok I see what I did, I didn't install the AutoPatcher98.Dec.07.Final.exe I downloaded the zip version, extracted it and just ran the startme.bat file. I just downloaded the executable version a bit ago, installed it, then installed the 2008 upgrade and it worked fine.

Thanks a bunch, it looks great.