Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

Thank you, my friend, for this update. However, I'm afraid I might not be able to offer feedback anymore, since either I'm living a nightmare or my ISP locked out 9x users so I can't log in to PPPoE with my 98SE machine anymore. :(

Stay safe and keep up the good work! :hello:

EDIT: ugly issue with PPPoE connection but I got it fixed and I'm back in business. ;)

Edited by Drugwash

Hi Sop. Having the same problem as I had installing the full AP/Dec 07, trying to install the new update. Your installer installs everything properly, including a program to compensate for an environmental space problem (after which I reboot my computer), but when I click on "Launch AP for Win98SE" the DOS window comes up for a brief moment, then vanishes, nothing happens. The previous time you told me to cut/copy everything in my "AutoExec.bat" to a notepad file, then the AP launcher worked, installing everything from a working DOS window, then restoring the contents of "AutoExec.bat". I was going to try that but forgot what to enter in the "Run" command window to get to that series of system configuration windows to accomplish this task. Is this the same approach I ought to follow this time. If so, please tell me what to type in the "Run" command so I can get to the "AutoExec.bat" configuration window. Thanks, Ken.

Thanks, Dave. I thought it was "sysedit". However, whenever I enter "sysedit" from the "run" box, I always get an error which results in me having to reboot Win98SE. This is also happening with "Wordpad", can't figure it out, a fairly recent problem. Is there another way to get into the "AutoExec.bat" window or is there a simple fix (I am not much of a techie) for these 2 errors (I think they are invalid page faults)? Thanks, Ken.

You may reboot in DOS mode (F8 after POST screen > Command prompt) and type EDIT AUTOEXEC.BAT while in the C: root. After editing, press ALT+F then S to save the edited file (will overwrite the original) and then ALT+F and X to exit the editor.

It's best to have a backup copy of autoexec.bat before editing it.

Dave. The System Editor in Windows ME works perfectly as a replacement, much better GUI. I can now try the fix Sop gave me asap, so I can install the AP update. Here is the link where I got this info, I was not the only person having this problem with Sysedit "http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t49538.html". I suspect this is causing the problem I am also having with "Wordpad" but there are lots better replacements for that program. Ken.

Hi Sop. Having the same problem as I had installing the full AP/Dec 07, trying to install the new update. Your installer installs everything properly, including a program to compensate for an environmental space problem (after which I reboot my computer), but when I click on "Launch AP for Win98SE" the DOS window comes up for a brief moment, then vanishes, nothing happens. The previous time you told me to cut/copy everything in my "AutoExec.bat" to a notepad file, then the AP launcher worked, installing everything from a working DOS window, then restoring the contents of "AutoExec.bat"...

I had the same problem...

AP could not resolve the environment space problem without adding SHELL=COMMAND.COM /E:4096 /P to CONFIG.SYS.

However, after rebooting, the AP window would appear, and Bad command or filename would flash up, then the window would close.

What I found was that COMMAND.COM in C:\ was marked as System and Hidden...

After running attrib c:\command.com -s -h, and rebooting, I was able to get to the AP menu.

I was still getting multiple Out of environment space errors in the System Tweaks section...

So I tried increasing values in the SHELL= line (8192, 16384, 32768), and restarting each time.

These higher values reduced the Out of environment space to just one error in the System Tweaks section.

Either way, the fantastic AP scripts would fail.

The only solution was to temporarily empty AUTOEXEC.BAT (with or without the SHELL= line in CONFIG.SYS).

Another interesting problem I found was also in System Tweaks.

I had the following lines in SYSTEM.INI:

[vcache]
;;;MaxFileCache=65536
MaxFileCache=101376

System Tweaks would find the current value for MaxFileCache as he=65536 (corrupt)...

However, if I swapped lines:

[vcache]
MaxFileCache=101376
;;;MaxFileCache=65536

System Tweaks would find the current value for MaxFileCache as 101376 (correct).

Hi Sop. Still no luck even with the ME replacement for Sysedit. Removing everything from "Autoexec.bat" but leaving the new "SHELL=COMMAND.COM/E:4096/ P" line in Config.Sys, still nothing happens, the AP dos window appears briefly then vanishes. Even removing the line from Config.Sys as well, the same thing happens. As you know, I am not much of a techie, is there some simple way I can fix this, get to install this great AP update. Just thought of something, I forgot to reboot after removing everything from Autoexec.bat, will give that a try first, will let you know. Thanks, Ken.

Hi Sop. SUCCESS!! After removing everything from "Autoexec.bat", "Config.sys", then rebooting the computer, the AP dos install window came up with the instructions. For some reason most of the installs in the update never took place. So I ran the program again, this time everything (the report was 17 items) seems to have installed (eg Java 6, update 7 which never installed the first time), the program rebooted my computer about 10 times in the second attempt, not even 5 in the first. I am now going to return everything to Autoexec.bat but what about the SHELL=COMMAND.COM line in Config.sys, shall I return it as well? Thanks, Ken.

Also, now that Java 6 Update 7 is installed can I uninstall Java 6 Update 4? After I get the answer to this + my previous question on the line in Config.Sys, I am going to Norton Ghost my "C" drive again, the best protection I know. Thanks again, Ken.

Hi Sop. SUCCESS!! After removing everything from "Autoexec.bat", "Config.sys", then rebooting the computer, the AP dos install window came up with the instructions. For some reason most of the installs in the update never took place. So I ran the program again, this time everything (the report was 17 items) seems to have installed (eg Java 6, update 7 which never installed the first time), the program rebooted my computer about 10 times in the second attempt, not even 5 in the first. I am now going to return everything to Autoexec.bat but what about the SHELL=COMMAND.COM line in Config.sys, shall I return it as well? Thanks, Ken.

You may as well keep the shell=Command.com line in config.sys it should make DOS programs run better.

Also, now that Java 6 Update 7 is installed can I uninstall Java 6 Update 4? After I get the answer to this + my previous question on the line in Config.Sys, I am going to Norton Ghost my "C" drive again, the best protection I know. Thanks again, Ken.

Don't uninstall Java 6 Update 4, all that is is an entry in the Add/Remove programs list, it is a stupid method of updating -- most other programs change the uninstall info to show the latest update -- Java likes to show you the full history of your installs. Grrrr .... so just try to ignore the entry.

Glad its all working.

Thanks Sop. I just checked the Java 6 Update 4 listing in A/R, however to the right it says 292.07 mb, while Java 6 Update 7 is only taking up 138.72mb of space, so I am questioning whether it is taking up all this unnecessary space or is that number erroneous, that's why I am asking about uninstalling it, I think there is an uninstall process for it, I remember uninstalling all the versions of the previous JRE, after the installation of Java 6 from AP. I'll go with whatever you say. Thanks again, Ken.