Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

• 3 weeks later...

I have AutoPatcher for Win98SE + RP7.11 on my computer (my computer has never run or looks better). I am using a Kensington Web Racer (which is primarily for 98SE) as my mouse. Since installing the above programs, the driver for the Web Racer (EXSHOW95.EXE) will not load when I boot up my computer on an intermittent basis (every fourth bootup or so),or sometimes won't even load a couple of times in a row. Is there something in either AP or RP that it causing this problem? How can I fix this? I am not a techie so please make your reply very easy to follow. Thanks.

:whistle: If,it's usb it may be draning power from MoBo and other resources as my usb optical mouse did;had to revert it to a usb-ps/2 adapter connector so it would work at all times :hello: New WUPG98en helps with usb troubles too! :thumbup (Why not try Uberskin8.3.6 and xpraider with Kex0.3.6 insteada RP7.11???) :rolleyes:

Thanks thydreamwalker. The Web Racer is a PS/2 unit, so no USB. I really like the Vista GUI I am able to accomplish with RP7.11, works excellent. The other two alternatives you suggest I know nothing about so as a non-techie I am not willing to play with them. I think the problem I am having is a bootup timing issue so looking for a fix that will load the driver for the WebRacer before the bootup is complete.

If you haven't already, try to uninstall the Web Racer driver, reboot and reinstall it. A good idea is to search for a newer driver version or - if there is none - even an older one, if only for testing purposes.

As for Uberskin, it's incompatible with RP7. Since there's no suitable uninstaller for RP7, it's best if you leave your current setup as is, otherwise there will be problems. Tihiy said he would create an RP uninstaller so when that happens you may try Uberskin, since it does provide a Vista-like skin too, together with other UI enhancements.

You haven't mentioned if the older, original driver exhibits the same behavior. Also, you haven't mentioned if it also happens with the built-in Windows generic driver (if any). When trying to narrow the issue down, this information is important. After all, it's also possible for the hardware to be defective (loose outlet, broken cable, intermittent contact on mouse PCB, etc).

Thanks Drugwash. The older original driver was much more problematic in configuring the functionality of the WebRacer. The generic windows driver with a conventional mouse works fine. The hardware, the WebRacer itself is functioning well, no loose wires, poor contacts, anything. I still think it is some sort of timing issue, I am continuing to try things on my own.

• 2 weeks later...

Help!

I discovered MGDx's awesome page back in 2006, and investigated installing 98SE2ME, but in investigating the requirement to install all the necessary patches first I got lost in the sheer volume of information and, got no further than purchasing a copy of Windows ME towards perfermoring the installation.

I had been reading threads mentioning autopatcher, and thought it was some sort of thing which contracted mMicrosoft and automagically performed updates. Fortunately, this appears to be a wrong impression.

I still have the original problem though. Microsoft has so completely integrated things like IE, WMP, etc into windows I cannot determine what fixeses I need and which I should avoid.

I normally install 98SE (without Outlook), then I install any software which requires the existance of IE to install, and then I use 98Lite to remove IE, WMP, (as I have just finished a major install of XP and have not worked with installing a fresh installation of 98SE, I am not sure which of the following which I have to remove in XP, I merely have to not install in 98SE - Windows Update, .NET framework, ActiveX, Net Meeting) but I have none of them in 98SE. I certainly have no DRM, if something requires DRM, I don't find a need to view/play it bad enough to install such a monstrocity!

I certainly will not install Movie Maker and if I saw such running around on one of my computers I would probably treat it with three rounds of .45. :lol:

According to MGDx WMP9 should be installed to cure security issues even if you use another Media Player, but is this true if you have REMOVED WMP?

Does AP automatically patch things like IE, WMP etc which have been removed?

Should I Install 98SE, SP2.1 (or 3.0 Beta 3, if it is stable enough), and then install AP before removing IE and WMP with 98 Lite?

I am running a A22M Thinkpad as a dual boot machine, but will be installing 98SE on a blank, freshly partitioned HDD with nothing else on it. Once I get it stable, and add the rest of the software, the final installation will be backed up on a third HDD. A fourth HDD will have the backup of the currently used "C:" partition, but I will always have the original 98SE installe with no software, and the 98SE installed the way it was fresh, which enables me to reinstall Windows with all the applications in about 15 min to a half hour. You have to do a fresh install of Windows about every year or year and a half, just to get rid of all the garbage it collects.

:hello: Win98SE,SESp2.1a en,WUPG98en(2008version)***Set TweakUI-1.33 to auto-logon and reset after done installing all updates it'll save you the headaches of logging in @ 30+times;Run Auto-PatcherOct'07 ,then Auto-PatcherDec'07Final add MDIE6CU 2.4 and MDCU3.0.5 addKex0.3.6 and Uberskin8.3.8 CleanRegistry "if and when necessary...Please :sneaky: if need help look at MDGX's update forum :whistle: "Good-Luck"

Logging in 30+ Times????

Whenever I create a new instillation of an OS, I download all the necessary updates and patches to my HDD using another system and then copy them to the HDD on the system I am installing the new OS on - or to a flash drive connected to the system I am installing the New OS on.

The notebook only connects to the internet IF I have a catatastrophic failure of my desktop machine (one which I can't fix in 24 hours or less) or we get hit with another hurricane or two like we did in '04, and I loose power for a few days. Take into account that I have a spare MB, CPU, Memory, Power supply, video and audio cards, SCSI card, and a complete HDD with a backup of my currently OS already on it as it is currently being used, checked out and ready to either copied (Catastrophic failure was caused by a major problem with the OS installation) or replaced (Catastrophic failure was caused by HDD locking up solid), effectively a complete backup computer minus the case, a catastrophic failure I can't fix in less then 24 hours has to be pretty obscure! As we did not get the full size notebooks (we only had the sub-notebooks) until 2005, the notebook I am installing a fresh copy of 98SE on has never been allowed to talk to the internet.

Is this internet connection only required for WUPG98en or does AP require an internet connection also

Do you have to install MDIE6CU to fix security problems in other areas of 98SE not related to IE, WMP, or Outlook? Having to install upgrades to IE to fix things in other areas of 98SE, before being able to removing IE would be aggravating.

I never have let a computer connect to the internet until I had used 98Lite to remove IE.

:hello: TweakUI1.33 has an Auto-Login feature so when computer re-boots all you do is sit back and watch as Auto-Patcher install Automatically for about 30-60minutes depending on cpu/ram speeds,*Read modules in Auto-Patcher files it helps explain all thats needed to know :thumbup"Be careful!"especially,when using xp/vista HDD's when downloading 98SE updates to a harddrive",as files get corrupted by these systems when accidently opened on them or moved ;unless in zip files or folders.......A Flashdrive is "safer", as i use 2-Sandisk Cruzer Flashdrives to load all updates to newly installed 98SE"OEM/CDROM" HDD(But flash is usually FAT32 Formatted also :whistle: )As long as proper drivers get loaded you can unload/download directly to 98SE HDD/Partition?hopefully :rolleyes: Use Opera 9.52 it even likes 98SE Systems :blushing: