Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

This current VMWare 98SE install is brand new so it only had AutoPatcher December SP2 and then (after uninstalling the IE Cum update so the older one would be able to install) the upgrade to Final.

Well, if it didn't happen with you with the Java 6, then I'd guess the Unofficial Scripting update is the cause. Is that an MDGx package? Maybe something in that needs some troubleshooting? Probably just one set of dll's or something.

In the meantime, I haven't gotten to installing Firefox yet but when I do I'll see if the same thing occurs. Then again, I'm not aware of how Firefox works technically and if it even uses Visual Basic scripting to work.

I did get 98SE2ME, 98MP10, EXPLOR98, and the q891711 update installed. All went well.

I reinstalled NUSB after 98SE2ME. That was a bit crashy (BSOD), but I recovered and restarted normally and it ended up well. The USB 2.0 printer works. Don't forget this is on VMWare, which advises to turn off EHCI in its options as 98SE doesn't have USB 2.0 drivers. Well, I always used the Via USB 2.0 driver on 98SE (worked on both my Via boards and on my SiS748 board) and now used NUSB here instead and it works fine.

I think q891711 patches explorer.exe so I figured I should wait until EXPLOR98 was installed before letting it patch the explorer.exe that is actually staying on the system. That's why I left the ani fix toggled off when using Auto-Patcher.

Heh. I still needed to delete the shelliconcache file and reboot to get the nice My Computer icon to actually appear after EXPLOR98.EXE was run and the system restarted. So actually that thing takes me 3 restarts to be done (I like to see the new shelliconcache file appear before I delete the original file that I just move to My Documents. One time Windows never created a new one! I had to copy back the original, but the new My Computer stayed. This time it did recreate it after the next restart).

I noticed I, as usual with Sun Java, needed to uninstall the previously installed Java 5 after 6 was installed. They never remove the older one and usually I download the whole installation file and uninstall the older one first. Being lazy I just let AutoPatcher update it and then uninstalled Java 5 afterwards. Guess some folks like keeping several Java versions around so they don't uninstall when they update. For me, the older ones are just crap lying around the system. Makes QuickTime tough, if that's been installed, as its QuickTime for Java installs into the current Java directory. Gotta uninstall QuickTime, then Java, remove the Autoexec.bat lines referencing QuickTime Java, then install the new Java, then reinstall QuickTime. Stupid software designers!

When did you include it in AP? - I've installed up to Dec 2007 RC1 but have not installed Final (or RC2) yet.

That's naughty that is!

I'm happy to discuss RC2 and Final related issues with anyone who has installed RC2 or Final. RC1 people can talk to the hand. :lol:

Edited by soporific

:whistle: VBupdates is doing great...RP7 has issues with SCR579x,...(and scr569x when you use the webview in pictures folders!!!..ALL IS BETTER IF ADD just the pictures TO NEW FOLDER ,then...DELETE OLD TAINTED PICTURE FOLDER ,......THEN RENAME new folder AGAIN TO My Pictures....then all is well...IF...AND ONLY IF...windows explorer 5.50.4134.100+ is present in both thee start c:drive area and windows files area or crash upon crash occurs...;then reinstall wisps into the 98se system....thydreamwalker <Proud 98se Survivor... :rolleyes: so far happilylimping backto reality>P.S.:Wondering if adding new updated connection wizard(/or network connect system for just win98se and older systems) <as my computer still communicates by usin'smoke signals to cross thee internet>for wired and wireless systems could be great idea as drivers generic or brand name are hard to acquire now days ...thx for APrc2 :thumbup

Does one of the new updates change the way Internet Explorer reacts to Visual Scripting? Because I now have a weird situation where on almost any web page I get a box saying IE needs to download Visual Scripting support, and that it is available on my hard drive. I click to have it go ahead, and I notice the remainder of the web page is loaded, usually some picture boxes. If I browse to another page the situation repeats, I get the prompt to install Visual Scripting, give it the go ahead, and the page loads properly. It only takes a second or so but I would think that once it does this once it should stay installed, no?

I had this Problem too after AP DEZ.Final , so i decided to install Patch 942615 and the looped hhupd ,tools9x,ttfpack,servic9x,2to4 digit manually and now its gone dont no why?????

i have Java 1.6.04 installed!

Hmm, KB942615 was replaced by the previous version 939653 as the Internet Explorer Cumulative update in the final because the newer one interfered with 98SE2ME Option 3 and Revolution Pack.

I uninstalled 942615 before running the Final so it would install the older one.

The other stuff in your list doesn't look like they have anything to do with Visual Basic Scripting.

BUT, I had the problem with 942615 installed too. So I have no idea why the problem disappeared when you installed that.

The problem also doesn't relate to the Web Folders update in the manual installs folder as it existed before I installed the Web Folders update and after. I installed it before installing 98SE2ME.

Gotta be something in the Visual Basic Scripting unofficial 5.6 update, I'd think, since this always wants to install Visual Basic Scripting support. Looks kind of like a security thing. Like, it will only use it on an Install On Demand basis. Seems to ask for the install, then install it really quick, and then the advertisements on the webpage appear. That, or the Unofficial Visual Basic 6 thing in the Visual Basic module. Just looking at some of the newer updates for the likely suspect.

Another way Microsoft can make browsing in older versions of Internet Explorer annoying? Maybe this only works transparently on XP/Vista versions? So perhaps we beat some security risk, but 98 has no way of making it less annoying like IE 7 would? Guess away! :)

Be nice to get rid of it somehow by figuring out which part of the update causes it if possible.

Edited by Eck

That's naughty that is!

I'm happy to discuss RC2 and Final related issues with anyone who has installed RC2 or Final. RC1 people can talk to the hand. :lol:

Okay, first off: I'm a naughty boy! Wack! Wack! Wack! :(

Second is that I have installed Dec 2007 Final.

The Twain98 loop is gone. Probably because the timestamp has been changed on the four files which caused them to install...

The SYSTEM.ini tweaks menu option gave me an 'out of environment space' error and went back to the main menu.

When I freed up some environment space to work around the error, it correctly detected my RAM as 1.5GB, but used the wrong formula to calculate.

It set MaxFileCache to 262144...

When I selected current SYSTEM.INI settings, the Chunksize, MinFileCache, and MaxFileCache did not match my current settings...

BROWSEUI.DLL 6.0.2800.1915 from kb942615 kills my Windows Explorer (failure in EXPLORER.EXE).

I have had to back-date BROWSEUI.DLL to 6.0.2800.1914 from kb939653.

The SYSTEM.ini tweaks menu does not give me any more errors.

Since I had the problem with the current settings being wrongly detected, I can no longer fault this...

However, it is still using a way to high MaxFileCache for over 1GB RAM...

I'm still running kb942615 with BROWSEUI.DLL from kb939653 with no problems.

This could be the variable for the problem below that I do not experience even with Final installed.

Does one of the new updates change the way Internet Explorer reacts to Visual Scripting? Because I now have a weird situation where on almost any web page I get a box saying IE needs to download Visual Scripting support, and that it is available on my hard drive...
yeah, i've noticed this too but i never did enough testing to see that it always asks you if you want to download 0 bytes in order to use scripting. I just assumed you said yes once and then that was it. A wild guess from me would point the finger at Java 6 Update 4 as i started to notice the issue around the time i decided to go with Java 6 instead of 5. But i haven't confirmed this theory yet. The other suspect would be the unofficial scripting update.

Okay folks, the post RC1 AP contains one updated file in the SCR569X update.

JSCRIPT.DLL has changed from 5.6.0.8832 to 5.6.0.8834.

BTW, JSCRIPT.DLL plus the four changed Twain files are the only ones that installed for me since RC1.

Well, everything works for me but see note above regarding IE update.

Once last thing. Something I should have mentioned ages ago.

I am using MFC42.DLL 6.2.4131.0 (in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM).

The version that comes with V_Studio unofficial update is 6.0.9782.0...

I've had the newer version installed for a long time and never had any problems.

I don't even know where it came from. I suspect it was from a Microsoft Platform SDK install.

Has anyone ever heard of MFC42.DLL version 6.2.4131.0?

I had this Problem too after AP DEZ.Final , so i decided to install Patch 942615 and the looped hhupd ,tools9x,ttfpack,servic9x,2to4 digit manually and now its gone dont no why?????

i have Java 1.6.04 installed!

Actually my kb942615 variable might have some merit... Just need to release a version with the older BROWSEUI.DLL from kb939653...

Ah! Well the problem is somewhere in there. The BROWSUI.DLL and/or the JSCRIPT.DLL, eh?

I had uninstalled the latest IECum and let Auto-Patcher do its magic with the December Final, installing the older one. I assume it also updated to the latest unofficial jscript update.

From your post it looks like you managed to keep the older BROWSUI.DLL and all the rest of the newer stuff works for you without this error. But I probably have the older BROWSUI.DLL since I have the older IECum update, right?

So I'm wondering how come I'm getting the error.

I see what you're saying but can't figure out what I might need to do to actually get it working. Rerun the Scripting update by itself and see if it resets things to properly use the older BROWSUI.DLL that is now on the system? It is possible that it got installed while the newer IECum was installed, as I installed the SP2 while the newer one was installed and it skipped installing the older IECum, saying a newer version was detected as being already installed. Then before updating to the Final I uninstalled the newer IECum.

So maybe since the Scripting update did not reinstall when I ran the final, having already been installed with SP2, I only need to reinstall that one update (Scripting). It'll see which BROWSUI.DLL to use and register the stuff correctly.

Hmm. I think I'll try that. Gotta figure out which file in the Auto-Patcher files folder is the Scripting update. :) I've got the modules list printed out. Maybe that'll help me figure out what KB number it is, or hopefully it's just labeled SCR5.6 or something.

Hmm. I think I'll try that. Gotta figure out which file in the Auto-Patcher files folder is the Scripting update. :) I've got the modules list printed out. Maybe that'll help me figure out what KB number it is, or hopefully it's just labeled SCR5.6 or something.

The problem is in Module "windows optional componets-page 2" called - Scripting Engine Update 5.6.8832 -- in folder file name is SCR569X.exe

Now, how do you uninstall this unofficial update?

Charlie

Actually what I'm going to do is double click it and reinstall it. Since it installed while the newer IE Cum update was installed with the newer problem BROWSUI.DLL, and did not reinstall automatically when I uninstalled the IE Cum and re-ran Auto-Patcher, it might get fixed up by simply reinstalling it now that the older IE Cum's BROWSUI.DLL is in place. As has been stated, it appears to be the newer BROWSUI.DLL that causes problems. But perhaps the Visual Basic Scripting needs to register properly with whichever BROWSUI.DLL is on the system. Just my guess. I'm going to try it.

If you want to remove the SCR569X.EXE I'd think just installing the older Windows Scripting 5.6 update would overwrite the files with its version. mdgx.com likely has both the official version as well as the unofficial version to download. But I'd rather see if the new one can work if it is just reinstalled. It's working for others without this problem.

Hi Eck,

Check your version of BROWSEUI.DLL.

Mine (the good one) is 6.0.2800.1914. If you have 6.0.2800.1915, then it did not get back-dated when you removed the IE cumulative update.

Microsoft has just released IE6 SP1 Cumulative Update kb944533. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944533/en-us

It releases with BROWSEUI.DLL version 6.0.2800.1916.

It has fixes for JSCRIPT.DLL related problems as well.

So, when the person who is compiling the unofficial IE CU releases it, I'll see whether the newer files all work okay... ;)

Rock on updaters!

I found another problem after installed AP

in IE EXP. when i go to the Site Yahoo.de / Games --- take a Game to play

the Java Applet wont load i tested other Gamingsites and no Problem

I reinstalled Flashplayer +Shockwaveplayer and does no affect always the same

Firefox 2.0.11 loads without problems

so i tested it on Win ME with IE 6 SP1 and Patches like AP and it works there.

I had this problem before with AP Sept. and now with AP Dez full also . ????? :realmad:

I found another problem after installed AP

in IE EXP. when i go to the Site Yahoo.de / Games --- take a Game to play

the Java Applet wont load i tested other Gamingsites and no Problem

I reinstalled Flashplayer +Shockwaveplayer and does no affect always the same

Firefox 2.0.11 loads without problems

so i tested it on Win ME with IE 6 SP1 and Patches like AP and it works there.

I had this problem before with AP Sept. and now with AP Dez full also . ????? :realmad:

must add on Win ME machine is no Java 1.5 or 1.6 installed maybe this is the problem