Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

- the upgrade pack will be out soonish. It's going to be big due to DirectX 9.0c August 2007

How about a version of the upgrade without that? I already have the redistributable version of the August 2007 DirectX 9.0c release.

The point is to not need to download updates yourself. Sometimes official updates need tweaking as their 98SE compatibility is either ignored or intentionally removed. Once an update reaches Auto-Patcher, these problems have been fixed so they will install and work on 98SE smoothly.

So, yes it is fine for you to install the latest Direct X 9.0c yourself (as long as the last full version for 98SE, the December one, has already been installed), but since it includes some nice additions it is a good addition to the Auto-Patcher. Of course, installing it yourself assumes it is okay for 98SE but I think the Direct X one is fine as long as the older one was installed first.

I'm waiting, personally, for the upgrade edition now as I already have the last update edition that updated the previous full release installed and would prefer to get the fixes announced to be included in the upgrade edition without, hopefully, the problems some have experienced with running the latest full edition.

Hi soporific, how's November installment looking?

Sun Java 5 Update 14 is out.

I have a suggestion.

I've been using Java 6 Update 3 for a while now with no apparent problems and actually faster and more stable browsing...

How about including both Java 5 Update 14 and Java 6 Update 3 (perhaps with a note about unsupported?) so either can be installed for those who want to use Java 6?

Just an idea.

On another side, your menu still says DirectX December 2006 instead of August 2007...

Will you include DirectX November 2007 in your November pack?

No new issues to report after installing October release.

Old issue: paint update back-dating some filters...

Now, what would we do without Auto-Patcher? :D

EDIT: Just noticed that Maximus Decim Native USB ver.3.3 is released!

Edited by RetroOS

Hi soporific, how's November installment looking?

Now, what would we do without Auto-Patcher? :D

Hi everyone,

I've been away for a bit working on another project that's now finished, and so its back to Win98 stuff. I'll get a new version of Auto-Patcher together first, then try another release of UBCD.

Stay tuned ...

Please get your suggestions in about what to include. I've already taken notice of all the ones recently.

Sop.

• 2 weeks later...

G'day from Gadien,

Having a spot of trouble with the Network Status tray,

Since I'm not connected to a home network it's fairly useless to me so I'm thinking of uninstalling it.

is there anyway i can get it to load up just like dial-up networking? feels like wasted tray space,

When I'm 'not' connected to the internet and pull Network Status up and go to "Connections" i get a pop-up window that cascades over itself, can't get rid of it unless i press enter and hold my mouse over the close button...

(would ENTER...ALT+F4 do the same, there must be a better way)

Keep...Moving...Forward :)

Edited by blue_shoe12

Hello, Gadien here (gai-di-en) Love the work you've done here on Auto-patching win98SE,

Thought id give something back and show you what seems like a bug in KERNEL32.DLL because I've only just went through the installation,

(then installed clipboards (alt 1 to 9))

EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in

module KERNEL32.DLL at 0167:bff7b9a6.

Registers:

EAX=00000000 CS=0167 EIP=bff7b9a6 EFLGS=00000246

EBX=8171d588 SS=016f ESP=0086fbe8 EBP=0086fc00

ECX=c15bced0 DS=016f ESI=77640678 FS=2517

EDX=bffcd490 ES=016f EDI=00000000 GS=0000

Bytes at CS:EIP:

ff 76 04 e8 13 89 ff ff 5e c2 04 00 56 8b 74 24

Stack dump:

77640678 77632cc6 77640678 00000000 77640678 8171d588 0086fdf0 77631e87 77640678 00000000 77637ed3 77630000 7763200a 77630000 77630000 77632064

Keep Going Forward. :-D

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year to all as well!

I just used the October Full release on a Virtualbox 98SE installation on Debian (Lenny). Then I added 98SE2ME and 98MP10 to it. All went perfect!

It did mention that it couldn't find Netmeeting so it disabled the installation for it. Actually I forgot to look for it afterwards so I don't know if it's in the proper place or not. I'll check it out later. Too slow browsing the net on that thing, but about the same as VMWare was when I used to use that.

There's no tools for 9x, but substitutes work fine. SciTech Display Doctor 7 beta with a manufactured key from one of "those" things works about as well as VMWare Tools version for 98SE worked too. I even turned on SciTech's OpenGL part and now get working, albeit slow, software Direct3D like the old days on my SiS5598 archaic first computer. It has a whopping 6MB of video memory to work with (had to dumb it down from the default 8MB as Windows Setup didn't like it)! But since my old computer had 4MB video it kind of reminds me of the old days!

My Windows 98 Startup floppy couldn't load its cdrom driver, freezing for some reason even though cd works in Windows once setup. So I used an OEM Windows 98 Gold cd I have and upgraded to 98SE with the Updates Cd. The OEM's boot from cd and setup went fine using that.

I used the current Realtek AC97 audio vxd driver for Windows 95 they have. I needed to install Winrar and extract it as the installer only installs on Windows 95, but Device Manager updated the driver to the extracted folder fine. Boom! Pretty good audio. There's even SoundBlaster MS-DOS box within Windows emulation and a Wavetable midi driver, although the midi skips. The normal wave audio is fine.

I did the Environment patch first, and then selected (mostly adding things) what modules I wanted and the whole process went just fine except for missing Netmeeting.

Since this is Virtualbox OSS I don't have USB so no printing, and no shared folders with the host. I'll look into configuring Samba (no clue :)) so I can transfer files back and forth. The NAT internet works fine.

Kinda fun!

Edited by Eck

Don't worry. The current edition would only be missing a small amount of updated patches and any new goodies that may be in store for us in future versions. But most goodies are already there and in my experience all install nicely.

No "are we there yet" anticipation needed with this thing. It already has just about everything. Once installed, perhaps just checking the front page of that current updates sticky topic once in a while will keep us informed of anything vital that we need to install right away. As long as our systems are working fine, there's really no rush to install the new stuff anyway. What's fixed in 98SE has been fixed. We're running dinosaur's here. Not much new under the sun! :)

I'm sure they'll be a new edition, but there's no reason to rush it out before it's ready.

Don't worry. The current edition would only be missing a small amount of updated patches and any new goodies that may be in store for us in future versions. But most goodies are already there and in my experience all install nicely.

No "are we there yet" anticipation needed with this thing. It already has just about everything. Once installed, perhaps just checking the front page of that current updates sticky topic once in a while will keep us informed of anything vital that we need to install right away. As long as our systems are working fine, there's really no rush to install the new stuff anyway. What's fixed in 98SE has been fixed. We're running dinosaur's here. Not much new under the sun! :)

I'm sure they'll be a new edition, but there's no reason to rush it out before it's ready.

You said it Eck.

However, i should say something on the subject ... in the short term, a new AP will hopefully be out within a week, and in the long term, i'm hoping to switch to a GUI interface. More details soon ...