Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

soporific :hello: :

I googled "CDFS.VXD" and "may not work on all" and got NO results!!
Ok, my bad... Google on "alternate" and "cdfs.vxd". Just by reading dang near everything referenced indicated that it might not work on some hardware. Hey, if it works, the user is stylin'! If it not, well uninstall...

Tracking down AP Report "not installed" modules. Guess my re-install of IE6 undone a lot of stuff, all of which do not show up in WU anyway. I see a lot of them (official) would have required getting the Hotfix through MS Tech Support. :blink: Good luck with that!

Still holding stable... perhaps some of my hardware is too new / too fast for Win98 (?). I don't actually recollect what I was doing when the odd stuff started; seemed random. Maybe accessing a RAR on the DVD drive (a burned DVD, not CD). Possibility that was what was causing some of it (?). Think I might try re-install clean (I keep saying that...) and give the new CDFS.VXD a shot; it may "cure" it. All I did was clone fully patched, installed NIC, VIA video (from Soyo), VIA platform (VIAHyperion4in1453v), modem, VIA audio (in that order) - ZAP crashes began...

Just me, folks... If you are good, then kewl! This is the most complete 98SE package devised. And I might recommend creating at least a minimal UBCD and keep AP handy as well. It may save your hides!

Edit @soporific - Read this attachment. I uninstalled a couple more (IExplore probs gone?). Notes inside...

forced_one_still_shows.txt

Edited by submix8c

soporific....and other helpers

I have read your page 1 and being a dumbo, heh heh, can I make these suggestions and if I am wrong, maybe that tells you, that there may be others who may download the wrong files as well....I hope not..... but thats why I chose dumbo as a user id.

Suggested page 1 edits could be??

What is Auto-Patcher for Windows 98se?

Auto-Patcher features

For those doing a clean install of W98Se

1) Download the June 2007 Full edition.....link to be inserted here

2) Download the June 2007 SP2..................link to be inserted here

(NOTE its not clear to me if Jun SP1 is needed or not)

For those who have previously downloaded V1.95 PR2 or LATER

1) Download the June 2007 upgrade........link to be inserted here

2) Download the June 2007 SP2 ..............link to be inserted here

(NOTE its not clear to me if Jun SP1 is needed or not)

Notes on the 1.95 PR2 Upgrade release:

What's new in June 2007 sp2?

shameless plug

Questions

1) Does june sp2 need sp1 similar to XP requires sp1 before install sp2?

Thanks for any tips you or others care to add.

:D

I have read your page 1 and being a dumbo, heh heh, can I make these suggestions and if I am wrong, maybe that tells you, that there may be others who may download the wrong files as well....I hope not..... but thats why I chose dumbo as a user id.

<snip>

Questions

1) Does june sp2 need sp1 similar to XP requires sp1 before install sp2?

I'm sure you're not a dumbo but the name as an avatar does have a certain charm .... you just have to find a picture of an elephant with big ears and it will be perfect! :lol:

I probably shouldn't have gone with the 'service pack' name to differentiate between releases within the same month. I originally was going to release a version and call it by the month, but i forgot i wasn't infallible and in the end had to release updates to correct bugs.

So, you don't need sp1 to install sp2. If you downloaded "June 2007" then all you need is the sp2 update.

I will completely re-arrange the first post to make it much harder to download the wrong file. I can imagine the sinking feeling of having downloaded 275 mb of the wrong file, especially if you haven't got ADSL2 broadband!! Sorry 'bout that ... and i'm a guy who prides himself on good communication skills :angel:blushing:

Thanks for the feedback on the post!

Edited by soporific

Thanks, soporific, for a great program. Saves old hardware from a premature death by MegaByte w/o MegaBuck life support. Happy 99th birthday, too!

I found a bad consquence of the Kernel update (KernelEx in manual installs): It really loused up the Windows Explorer (& My Computer, Control Panel, etc.) folder views: Caused 'View as Webpage,' Icons, & small window size. After countless times manually unchecking 'View as Webpage,' selecting Details, enlarging the window, saving, setting view all folders 'Like current Folder', apply, saving & closing, checking & unchecking 'Remember each folder's view setting', etc., it never kept my fixes. "View as Webpage' would go away but return whenever re-booted. Also, opening the Windows folder gave the webpage with warning about dangerous to tamper with System files. Irksome.

After browsing for fixes, did some Registry editing. E.g., on HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams]

Changed Settings. No luck. Deleted lines, no luck. Deleted more lines, still no luck.

Ran Kexreco (in MS-DOS mode). Fixed!

P.S. Had hoped the Kernel update might enable running Google Earth on Win 98SE (didn't). Have another computer with Win XP, so no biggie, but perhaps you can add a patch to enable installing & running Google Earth on Win 98SE.

Thanks again, Ken V.

Thanks, soporific, for a great program. Saves old hardware from a premature death by MegaByte w/o MegaBuck life support. Happy 99th birthday, too!

I found a bad consquence of the Kernel update (KernelEx in manual installs): It really loused up the Windows Explorer (& My Computer, Control Panel, etc.) folder views:

It makes me happy that this program means old hardware is still being used, thanks for the feedback.

The problems with KernelEx should also be posted in its home thread, but i will add a cautionary note to the index for the Manual installs apps in the next version.

Cheers.

soporific :hello: :

Installed 98SE using UBCD (only the Opsys, bypassing patches by "moving" to sub-folders, i.e. "raw/clean" 98SE install). Installed June SP2 to cross-check "official" patches (what I had previously downloaded past/present and what AP has) vs "unofficial" patches. Intent is to one-by-one install "official" to see where this bad boy stands in relation to "unofficial" (oddball TaskBar/goboom confirmation)...

Noted GDI+ Detection Tool (KB873374) is a "registry bypass" instead of the actual tool. Assuming installation of Cumulative IE6SP1 (re KB833989) and DotNet2 (over DotNet1.1 without SP1) and other non-installables onto Win98SE obviates the need for it...

For a test, I decided to use AP to install IE6SP1 only (no other patches whatsoever) and then intended to install and run the actual KB873374. But it didn't happen... During the AP install of IE6SP1, I got the following screen (attached JPEG). Apparently AP exited during/after the install without rebooting(?). I clicked "End Task" which caused a reboot ("Configuration Settings Update"). Run-Mod continued (after System Settings Update) and completed normally. Musta not detected/set "Reboot Needed" in IExplore for this scenario...

Also noted in MainCode the new DOREG4/DOREG5 routines (DOREG5 is unused). They are exactly the same and appear to be a variation of DOREG3 utilizing the RegKey from DOREGZ (DOREG3/DOREGZ are also unused). Appears to be due to some modifications in HFSecure for registry checking. Extraneous code is a real be-otch to sift through (I know, "Hurry Up and finalize")...

cheers, m8!

post-72994-1184855216_thumb.jpg

This is my first post to this wonderful forum. I am only sorry that my first post is what may seem as a silly question.

I have just read through this thread about the Auto-Patcher for Win98se and would really like to try this out on an old laptop computer I have. The machine is just sitting there, not being used, because of the rather low hardware-specs compared to the needs of Xp and Vista. So, this would be a way to get it back to life.

One question pops up though, a rather serious one I suspect:

I only have a license for a localized danish version of Win98SE. I have the original installation CD with boot-disk. Would AP work on my system or should I go find/purchase an english version of Win98SE?

This is my first post to this wonderful forum. I am only sorry that my first post is what may seem as a silly question.

I have just read through this thread about the Auto-Patcher for Win98se and would really like to try this out on an old laptop computer I have. The machine is just sitting there, not being used, because of the rather low hardware-specs compared to the needs of Xp and Vista. So, this would be a way to get it back to life.

I only have a license for a localized danish version of Win98SE. I have the original installation CD with boot-disk. Would AP work on my system or should I go find/purchase an english version of Win98SE?

The problem is that any edition of Windows 98 se that uses different names for "Program Files" or "Windows" will produce errors when updates try to install. The other problem is that some of your language strings will become English. But the only way to actually find out the exact effects is to try it out!

But it really shouldn't work.

Thanks for the reply.

I had considered the Program File problem. In the danish version this folder i called Programmer. Something that has been giving me problems from time to time with third party software that only works in english.

So, I am now looking round for an english version of Windows 98 SE. Maybe I can get a cheap one off eBay.

hi first I just want to thank whoever is responsible for this great program :)

I've been using 98se with 98lite for a while but I've never bothered to update windows... I have just used auto-patcher with almost no problem whatsoever even though I had a lot of things removed with 98lite. My first question is: would it have been better to run auto-patcher on a clean 98se instead of on top of 98lite? Secondly, can I uninstall auto-patcher and delete it's folder now that I've finished using it?? thanks for your help!

My first question is: would it have been better to run auto-patcher on a clean 98se instead of on top of 98lite? Secondly, can I uninstall auto-patcher and delete it's folder now that I've finished using it?? thanks for your help!

Thanks for the feedback!! Good to hear you had no problems whatsoever but please report anything you think could also be improved!

To answer your questions:

1) the program was designed to work on whatever state your system is in so if you are a 98lite user, then it should work for you. The only people it won't work for is 4DOS users but they should see a message informing them of this. There is no difference using AP on a 'clean' or '98lite' version of Win98se - both will get updated with the same updates.

2) Yes, once you have used the program, you can safely delete the installation folder. Please use the uninstaller because it will properly uninstall the program and delete the uninstall registry entry as well. TO use any of the update packs i release every now and then, you will need to install the full version before installing the upgrade pack so if you have the hard disk space it may be easier to just leave the files installed.

:hello: Excuse me,I want to know if the Auto-Patcher has viruses.Because my Dr.Web found that the files "TTFpack.exe, V_Studio.exe, DXM9X.exe, HHUpd.exe, IE933566.exe, kb886677.exe, kb918144.exe, kb920670.exe, kb923689.exe, kb925454.exe, kb926247.exe, kb927779.exe, kb929969.exe, oleup.exe, riched9x.exe, servic9x.exe, w98mp10.exe"all have the same virus called "BackDoor.TerraBit".Can you tell me if my Dr.Web had made a mistake ? :lol:

:hello: Excuse me,I want to know if the Auto-Patcher has viruses.Because my Dr.Web found that the files "TTFpack.exe, V_Studio.exe, DXM9X.exe, HHUpd.exe, IE933566.exe, kb886677.exe, kb918144.exe, kb920670.exe, kb923689.exe, kb925454.exe, kb926247.exe, kb927779.exe, kb929969.exe, oleup.exe, riched9x.exe, servic9x.exe, w98mp10.exe"all have the same virus called "BackDoor.TerraBit".Can you tell me if my Dr.Web had made a mistake ? :lol:

I'm glad you added that last emoticon because you already know the answer don't you?

Dr. Web ... never heard of it ... AP has been going for about a year and i've never had a complaint about possible viruses ... so going on that, i think Dr Web is having you on !!!

My first question is: would it have been better to run auto-patcher on a clean 98se instead of on top of 98lite? Secondly, can I uninstall auto-patcher and delete it's folder now that I've finished using it?? thanks for your help!

Thanks for the feedback!! Good to hear you had no problems whatsoever but please report anything you think could also be improved!

To answer your questions:

1) the program was designed to work on whatever state your system is in so if you are a 98lite user, then it should work for you. The only people it won't work for is 4DOS users but they should see a message informing them of this. There is no difference using AP on a 'clean' or '98lite' version of Win98se - both will get updated with the same updates.

2) Yes, once you have used the program, you can safely delete the installation folder. Please use the uninstaller because it will properly uninstall the program and delete the uninstall registry entry as well. TO use any of the update packs i release every now and then, you will need to install the full version before installing the upgrade pack so if you have the hard disk space it may be easier to just leave the files installed.

thanks a lot for the fast support soporific! I can't see what it could do better, it did exactly what I thought it would. The only problems I had was that I installed explorer and media player by mistake (because I was too lazy to select only the components I wanted :lol: ) and I had to manually remove them. Besides that the icons on my desktop seemed to have disappeared, but it's only because I use a french version of 98se and they were hiding in the french equivalent folder of desktop... to people who use the french version of windows I can safely say you can use auto-patcher since program files and windows are the same, all I had to do was delete the french folders which weren't used anymore.