Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

After installing Autopatch my hotplug icon in the status bar (system tray) does not work. Clicking on it does not bring up a window to kill my USB conn. So when I close down my GPS or camera, I get the warning window that I should have use the system icon to close before unplugging device. Removing and installing drivers did not help, even merging a registry backup does not fix it. Backup with registry and files does still work(without Autopatch). So with the right drivers and right registry over Autopatch, it does not work, but with the old files and no Autopatch installed, it does work. This seems to be the standard hotplug icon in the system tray for disconn. storage devices - any ideals on a solution?

OK first remember that Auto-Patcher is an automatic hotfix installer so the problem should lie in one of the updates, not in AP itself. Are you saying that simply installing AP (but not running it) causes this problem, or are you saying after you have patched your system with AP that the problem arises ... which one is it?

No, just not installing but after I run it, so right its in an update - also noticed that hotplug.dll was a little larger in size, but version was unchanged, so I replaced it with old hotplug.dll and no help. Also deleted hotplug.dll (all of them) and icon still shows up in tray? Disabled system tray and icon does not show up and no warning when disconn. storage device. What file displays this icon - its in hotplug.dll, but must now run from some other file? ProcessExplorer does not list it as running? So if I knew which file kick it off I might locate the problem. Thanks

Any help here, or is this a problem with just my system. regsvr32 doesn't load hotplug.dll. This file is what disconn. storage device - and not what loads icon to tray, so I assume its a problem with it being registered.

Any help here, or is this a problem with just my system. regsvr32 doesn't load hotplug.dll. This file is what disconn. storage device - and not what loads icon to tray, so I assume its a problem with it being registered.

Well, is there any more information about your problem that you can share? At the moment, one of the 189 updates contained in AP is causing the problem. If i can't replicate the problem in front of me, i don't have much chance of trying to find a fix for it. These are some of the things you can do:

1) post your log file so i can see what you were trying to run. I've already mentioned this!

2) just tell me which modules you ran, and also which optional updates you ran, or you could just send me your log file, whichever is easiest.

3) inform me what 3rd party apps you have installed that possibly could be causing a conflict

See how you go with that

soporific :hello: :

<<snip>>I'm just about to release the next version and i've fixed everyone else's concerns except yours ... i can't replicate the problem you are experiencing ... are there any questions i haven't answered you need answering? You know what you can do to help us with your wordiness ... please do a summary !!<<snip>>
Brother's tee-shirt (I need one) "Help, I'm talking and I can't shut up!"

"Wordiness" due to IT experience; too technical (above others' head) req' detailed explanation. Edits to post necessary to follow-up in case others have already read / keep from wasting additional post.

Press on, folks! :P

(<<snip snip snip>> for brevity; info retained for feedback / test results)

Attachment contains info / Test probs / feedback / Test assist info (brief as possible)

edit: go here-

http://www.msfn.org/board/Auto_Patcher_Win...059#entry666059

Thx to NativeTexan for reminding me of WinKey (doh!).

In addition, "kablooies" in Explorer and IExplorer (Invalid Page Fault). Reverted to Dr Hoiby patch (should not have mattered), and uninstalled PowerMenu. PowerMenu uninstall was when "kablooies" happened. Went Safe, Scandisk Full, then Defrag, then Safe/Command deleted win386.swp, then scanreg/backup. Rebooted. All ok again (so far)! Sticking with this until/unless it gets sick again; then @#$%!

post_attach_1.txt

Edited by submix8c

I seem to have made a mess of things. I was trying to install some NVidia 3d drivers, and somehow managed to destabilize my whole system. I am wondering if the kernel ex update may have anything to do with it, but am not sure. In any case, among other things, any attempt at sending or receiving e-mail, whether yahoo, gmail, thunderbird, outlook express, etc., seems to cause my computer to freeze/crash. I may still be able to post on this forum, though.

My primary drive is Drive C. I also, have a Drive D, which still has the OS on it the way it was before it was ghosted onto the present Drive C. What I was wondering is, is there any way to access the WINDOWS on Drive D, perhaps through DOS, and run the computer through it, at least until I can figure out a more permanent solution? I tried things like : RUN "D:\WINDOWS\" , but it seems to be a Bad Command.

I seem to have made a mess of things. I was trying to install some NVidia 3d drivers, and somehow managed to destabilize my whole system. I am wondering if the kernel ex update may have anything to do with it, but am not sure. In any case, among other things, any attempt at sending or receiving e-mail, whether yahoo, gmail, thunderbird, outlook express, etc., seems to cause my computer to freeze/crash. I may still be able to post on this forum, though.

My primary drive is Drive C. I also, have a Drive D, which still has the OS on it the way it was before it was ghosted onto the present Drive C. What I was wondering is, is there any way to access the WINDOWS on Drive D, perhaps through DOS, and run the computer through it, at least until I can figure out a more permanent solution? I tried things like : RUN "D:\WINDOWS\" , but it seems to be a Bad Command.

NO i'm pretty sure you won't be able to do that. In your situation, i would probably consider a re-install of the OS but keeping the existing programs already installed (if there's nothing wrong with them) ... the OS will need updating but just run AP.

To do this do the following:

1) make a backup of WIN.COM (which is normally in C:\Windows) and then delete this file (or rename it to something else)

2) Use your Installation CD to start Windows setup. Because you have deleted or renamed WIN.COM the setup program will allow you to continue.

3) After the OS has re-installed, you will need to run AP to get your system up to date.

NO i'm pretty sure you won't be able to do that. In your situation, i would probably consider a re-install of the OS but keeping the existing programs already installed (if there's nothing wrong with them) ... the OS will need updating but just run AP.

To do this do the following:

1) make a backup of WIN.COM (which is normally in C:\Windows) and then delete this file (or rename it to something else)

2) Use your Installation CD to start Windows setup. Because you have deleted or renamed WIN.COM the setup program will allow you to continue.

3) After the OS has re-installed, you will need to run AP to get your system up to date.

It took me several days to get the installation disk from Totonto. I am in Montreal. I deleted WIN.COM and then tried to run the installation disk. The computer fiirst kept trying to boot from the hard drive, but I managed to set the bios to boot from the installation disk. It got as far as copying the files to the disk. Then there was a need to reboot, and afterthereboot, I got the following error message:

A device has been specified more than once in the SYSTEM.INI file, ora device specified in SYSTEM.INI conflicts with a device which is being loaded by an MS-DOS driver or application or a device loaded from the registry file. Remove theduplicate entry from the SYSTEM.INI file, and then restart Windows.

Duplicated device: vcd

Press a key to continue

At that point, pressing a key still worked, and I may have succeeded in replacing the old OS. However, the screen resolution was now only 640 by 480 with 16 colours. I got a message saying that an NVidia driver was missing.

I made the mistake of tryinto runAutopatcher to see if it would help, and things just screwed up more.

At this point, if I try to boot from the hard drive, I just get the above error message, and pressing a key does not allow me to go on. Even pressing f8 does not bring up the customary menu.

If I try to do the reinstall, the farthest it will go is thefirst reboot. If pressing a key has an effect at all, I only get the the messge:

Windows 98is now setting up your hardware and any plug and play devices you may have. Then there is another reboot, followed by the above error message. The most pressing a key then does is causing another reboot, until the computer becomes completely unresponsive.

I noticed that two of the options on the installation disk result in DOs prompts, so maybe the problem can besolved from there, but I have no idea how to do it.

It took me several days to get the installation disk from Totonto. I am in Montreal. I deleted WIN.COM and then tried to run the installation disk. The computer fiirst kept trying to boot from the hard drive, but I managed to set the bios to boot from the installation disk. It got as far as copying the files to the disk. Then there was a need to reboot, and after the reboot, I got the following error message:

A device has been specified more than once in the SYSTEM.INI file, ora device specified in SYSTEM.INI conflicts with a device which is being loaded by an MS-DOS driver or application or a device loaded from the registry file. Remove theduplicate entry from the SYSTEM.INI file, and then restart Windows.

Hmmm, it seems you have your hardware config all screwed --- if its not getting past the setting up of pnp hardware, we need to force a rebuild of your VXD config ... there's some threads floating around that goes into this in more detail, have a browse thru some of the older threads...

The only other thing to do is a clean re-install, IMHO you need to do this at least once a year with a Win98 system anyway so see if this is do-able because this will obviously fix the problems ...

Jack, since i may have made your situation worse by my suggestion to try a re-install i am happy to answer any questions to help you resolve this situation you are in, but we should swap to talking via PMs as this isn't AP related ... if you want, i can send you a list of all the things you normally want to save before performing a clean re-install of Win98, eg: favourites, fonts, your current desktop, etc ... just PM me!

AP News well, its been over a week since June 2007 sp2 was released and the deafening silence usually means there's no problems ... am i right? Are there any Outstanding problems to fix?

I had problems with Sun Java Environment 5 update 12. Caused a crash visiting a trusted site; Firefox 2.0.0.4 on win98SE (with 98SE2ME and many of the updates).

Sun Java Environment 5 update 11 works fine though.

Might be worth trying to verify if update 11 might not be preferable to include in your update pack.

I had problems with Sun Java Environment 5 update 12. Caused a crash visiting a trusted site; Firefox 2.0.0.4 on win98SE (with 98SE2ME and many of the updates). Sun Java Environment 5 update 11 works fine though. Might be worth trying to verify if update 11 might not be preferable to include in your update pack.

Has anyone else experienced problems with update 12?

For Me Autopatcher works ...

Once again Thank you soporific :thumbup

Thanks for thanking me!

AP News

new addition for the next release:

* an alternate CDFS.VXD cd driver for Win9x to show Audio CD's as WAV files in the file system! This replacement driver shows WAV files in a variety of qualities. It works on any CD drive that Windows can support. Then you can use your favorite Wave Editor program to read directly from the CD. Never heard a skip or pop, unlike CDCopy or others... (size is less than 100k)

- any suggestions for which module to put this in? It's either: Critical and Recommended Updates, Optional Windows Components, or Essential System Components. My choice would be to put it in Optional Windows Components as opposed to Critical and Recommended Updates but i can be swayed either way with a good argument.

potential new additions for the next release:

* Windows Management Instrumentation

* WMI Patch (Q260710)

- size is 3.14 MB

- info: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394582.aspx

MDGx, you could definitely shed some light on whether this should be included, but anyone else can comment too. Has anyone used this? I don't want to include another 3 MB if its totally useless ... :wacko:

Edited by soporific

If you do add this, make it optionnal. WMI is supposed to provide remote and monitoring capabilities (among other stuff) to help PC configuration... Read M$ KB

Maybe usefull for XP since it manages the system through a layer but for 9x systems, IMHO, it just fills the startup for no reason.

Edited by glocK_94

soporific :hello: :

re CDFS.VXD - google search reveals "may not work on all..."; worth testing for people that want to try (make it optional - you will have to create an installer, tho).

re WMI? dunno...

Down to my nitty-gritty -

Yep still had probs even after the last post (you read + attach?). Strange "overlay" of IE portions of screen in addition to crashes (especially when accessing burned DVD); usually Explorer when accessing the HDD; usually when using WinRar (using that the most).

Finally got frustrated, uninstalled all IE6-related stuff and a few other unofficial (including Explorer fix). Unofficial un-installs mainly due to re-install of IE. Had a heck of a time flip-flopping file-names so's the uninstallers would work. Reinstalled IE6SP1, installed official IE6/OE6 stuff, went to WU, re-installed (official) from stored fixes. Only one shows up in WU - q273017 (can be ignored).

Then ran AP Find Missing Report (after selecting all)... interesting to say the least (see attached report). Certainly doesn't jive with WU. And so far not a single "crash". I will attempt another reload (someday soon?) and retest (perhaps bypassing some unofficials via code-tweaks).

Other than my "personal problems" (?VIA driver conflicts?) it seems to be ok (but see the attached - wierd). (edit) According to SHELL32.DLL fix, "Anonymous" has patched a number of these files... how well have they been tested in conjunction with each other / this install (this is not SP1; a different breed). ?Who is "Anonymous" and can he assure us that there are no cross-dependency problems?

l8tr, m8! keep up the good work :thumbup

Report.txt

Edited by submix8c

Just installed it on a 98SE2ME/Win98Lite system. Install went really well. Very slick and professional.

Great to hear ... but it does sound a bit like you have 'installed' Auto-Patcher but have you actually run the program? Sorry, i don't mean to offend by asking such an obvious question but there has been confusion in the past where some people thought that 'installing' AP meant that all the updates were performed as well. The other clue you gave me was the "Very slick and professional" quote --- i've heard lots of different comments about the fact the program is written in DOS and uses batch files but certainly not that! But thanks for the kind words anyhoo.

re CDFS.VXD - google search reveals "may not work on all..."; worth testing for people that want to try (make it optional - you will have to create an installer, tho).
I googled "CDFS.VXD" and "may not work on all" and got NO results!! I took your quotes for real dude !! :lol: --- give us the link you found ... i agree with your suggestions re the installer -- i have already made one that uninstalls properly as well (and puts the original file back as well) --- download the attachment if you want to test it before the next release.
Yep still had probs even after the last post (you read + attach?). Strange "overlay" of IE portions of screen in addition to crashes (especially when accessing burned DVD); usually Explorer when accessing the HDD; usually when using WinRar (using that the most).
I will read again, but yeah of course i read it, i like wading thru your stuff, always lots of info even if its not always 100% relevant !!! :lol: i will go thru your report and see if i can't improve stuff ...

CDFS_UP.exe

Edited by soporific

Just installed it on a 98SE2ME/Win98Lite system. Install went really well. Very slick and professional.

Great to hear ... but it does sound a bit like you have 'installed' Auto-Patcher but have you actually run the program? Sorry, i don't mean to offend by asking such an obvious question but there has been confusion in the past where some people thought that 'installing' AP meant that all the updates were performed as well. The other clue you gave me was the "Very slick and professional" quote --- i've heard lots of different comments about the fact the program is written in DOS and uses batch files but certainly not that! But thanks for the kind words anyhoo.

Yes, installed AND run :thumbup