Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

changelog:

* fixed all documentation errors (thanks Mazabuka)

* the color scheme function has been removed until i can fix the dos window hang problem

* a new option has been added to the Internet Explorer module: you can choose to only install IE6 sp1 and skip installing the updates.

* If you don't have Outlook express on your machine, then the two updates for it won;t be installed. Please note: installing IE 6 sp1 installs Outlook Express and it cannot then be uninstalled from the Components dialog, you must manually delete the files.

* a new routine has been added to ManiCode.bat which reduces the needed environment space for certain hotfixes including q314941 and q323172.

Edited by soporific

soporific :hello: :

No "real work" today, so testing AP May 2007 (no SP's). Rationale of running this vs AP-PR2: for some reason, after installing AVG-Free and ZoneAlarm-Free (last Win9x version still available), I was unable to "pull up" my Auto-Hidden Taskbar until I minimized everything (under/after AP PR2).

No problem with "Select All/Install" (basic Win98se+MS-Installer+VM-Addons) until (read on)...

For some reason, the Taskbar setting for not having "View as Web Page" temporarily reverts to Set (after q323708?) until the next Auto-Reboot at which time it reverts back. Odd, but obviously not a problem.

* If you don't have Outlook express on your machine, then the two updates for it won't be installed. Please note: installing IE 6 sp1 installs Outlook Express and it cannot then be uninstalled from the Components dialog, you must manually delete the files.
If you mean in "Add/Remove Programs" then "IE6SP1 Add Components" it can be Uninstalled, then yes delete, however when I tried to do this subsequent to AP May 2007 FULL Install, IE6SP1 Setup informed me that "Last Setup was not complete, so Reboot". I did (after exiting the Install Log), and Lo! I could use IE6SP1 Setup to Remove OE. Hot Doggies! One more Reboot!

Which leads to IE6SP1 question/suggestion: would it be possible to alter Setup to install only essentials (undoubtedly so) and (as you had once planned) copy IE6SP1 Setup files to e.g. "C:\IE6SP1" folder instead of AP's folder making it "permanent" and bypassing it during AP Uninstall? Otherwise, those that utilize other language stuff (etc.) would have to search for a non-exixtent IE6 Install folder...

Info/comment: I have thus far not actually seen any value to DotNet v1.0/1.1/2.0 except to use MSN-Messenger/get-an-account-for-MS-Evaluation-Software. But still good to have (how about the MSN Messenger to go in conjunction with this?).

Will soon be testing for the "Taskbar not accessible after AVG/Zonealarm" quirk shortly...

Peace, Bro! (will get latest version/s soon; this one is goodie SO FAR)

edit:

Silly me... also wondered if there is any reason to/not-to include Sun's Java (approx 16mb) to the Install?

Sidebar: also AVG/ZoneAlarm/Viewers(Word/Excel/PowerPoint/some kinda PDF)/Ad-Aware/Spybot... some of which are very valuable.

Yep, u be right to not include too much if that seems best (ref. UBCD as a vehicle).

And... 7-Zip is now at v4.47 (AAAARG!).

edit2:

I just knew I had seen something about the Win982ME change you had made (removal) and the new (inserted) EXPLOR98! That must have been the problem with the "Taskbar not accessible" thingy, 'cause it's ok now! Could you give some details about why this change (or point me to the post; I can't find it now)?

P.S.: As with any AV/FW software, it slows the 'puter down to the speed of "ol' Duke my favorite hound dawg" during start-up...

WOOHOO! I think this one is good for the first "bye bye, freebee PC"!!! After that, I'm gonna work on the UBCD, by golly!

Edited by submix8c

Edited by NativeTexan for brevity ; snip snip> AVG-Free and ZoneAlarm-Free (last Win9x version still available), I was unable to "pull up" my Auto-Hidden Taskbar until I minimized everything (under/after AP PR2).

For some reason, the Taskbar setting for not having "View as Web Page" temporarily reverts to Set (after q323708?) until the next Auto-Reboot at which time it reverts back. Odd, but obviously not a problem.

Which leads to IE6SP1 question/suggestion: would it be possible to alter Setup to install only essentials (undoubtedly so) and (as you had once planned) copy IE6SP1 Setup files to e.g. "C:\IE6SP1" folder instead of AP's folder making it "permanent" and bypassing it during AP Uninstall? Otherwise, those that utilize other language stuff (etc.) would have to search for a non-exixtent IE6 Install folder...

Snip snip by NativeTexan

Sidebar: also AVG/ZoneAlarm/Viewers(Word/Excel/PowerPoint/some kinda PDF)/Ad-Aware/Spybot... some of which are very valuable.

Yep, u be right to not include too much if that seems best (ref. UBCD as a vehicle).

And... 7-Zip is now at v4.47 (AAAARG!).

edit2:

I just knew I had seen something about the Win982ME change you had made (removal) and the new (inserted) EXPLOR98! That must have been the problem with the "Taskbar not accessible" thingy, 'cause it's ok now! Could you give some details about why this change (or point me to the post; I can't find it now)?

If a Dummy KeyBoardJockey can put some input here. Soporific and crew or massive amount of assistances, what you are doing for those of us that are stuck in Win98SE Limbo is FANTASTIC, I for one would like to THANK YOU for each and everyone.

'submix8c,'

I have used ZoneAlarm, Ad-Aware, Agnitum OutPost, Symantec Norton FireWall, AVG FREE, and because I am on Win98SE2ME, thanks to MDGx, my system only has 184MegRAM/w Clock@400Meg any of those slow my system too much. Have run IEextractor on my system so that is gone bye-bye, have reinstalled it like any other browser and it still will not work for me. I do like Mozilla FireFox v2.0.4 very much and will stay here in the future. As for 7-Zip there are some thingys it will not undo for me so I have kept BigSpeedZipper on her, cannot remember the exact name I usually rename different programs to mine own names so I know what is what. You mentioned about the TaskBar being hidden and not coming back for you, I have a little program that I use just for that and you can Hide it from the SysTray, as well as Program manager, it is called Watch Cat from a website called Last of the FREE Versions (lfv) and you can hide all icons on DeskTop, TaskBar, any running program and if it is your e-mail client it will still check your mail in automatic mode while hidden by WCat. Using FF I have PasswordMaker on here as well and I can Hide the PasswordMaker window, instead of closing it, and still use it for my password as needed. If you do not have nor know where to find any of this just ask and I will attempt to pass on the correct info or confuse you as much as myself in attempting to clear thingys up.

One last point, if I may? I use the window from MDGx's Win98SE2ME closing down of windows for my desktop and then HIDE desktop icons and Task

Bar so when someone comes into my junky computer room they think my system is shutting down.

Thank you for reading my rambling post toasties,

Soporific,

I am attempting to negotiate a deal with a friend that has a much HyerSped Innet connection than my dialup to download that AutoTerrificPatcher program of yours, 230Meg+64Meg+7Meg is getting to be a bit much for my dialup that runs at 45333Bits/Sec and the downloads are acutally only 5k or less, mostly less than 4k.

One question (?) will the latest updates to this little progy be posted at the start of this Topic (Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)) or will it be posted in one of your messages? I hope to find it at that very first page where you have some info now.

Thank you for reading my Posty toaster,

Soporific,

After installing Autopatch my hotplug icon in the status bar (system tray) does not work. Clicking on it does not bring up a window to kill my USB conn. So when I close down my GPS or camera, I get the warning window that I should have use the system icon to close before unplugging device. Removing and installing drivers did not help, even merging a registry backup does not fix it. Backup with registry and files does still work(without Autopatch). So with the right drivers and right registry over Autopatch, it does not work, but with the old files and no Autopatch installed, it does work. This seems to be the standard hotplug icon in the system tray for disconn. storage devices - any ideals on a solution?

Thanks, Charlie

NativeTexan :hello: :

Per you download speeds... Get a Download Manager. There are many free available. I use FlashGet and the download on Cable is awesome! One of these proggies should allow multiple connections to the files in question, which vastly decreases download time (no matter what ISP or connection type).

Per the Taskbar... don't want any extras (recipients of "freebee PC's" are 'puter illiterate). Besides, problem appeared to go away with AP May-2007 vs PR2...

Per PC "slow on startups"... nature of any Active A-V and/or Firewall. Just gotta live with it or don't do stoopid things on the internet. Need these, tho, since "freebee PC's for the not-so-wise-maybe-pr0n-hunters". Have a dopey friend like that... brotha, his PC was loaded with spyware/adware/trojans! Played hexx cleaning it up!

Rambling forgiven (I do it sometimes)... a bit tired-toastie were you?

HTH

p.s. thx for the LFV info... found the site!

p.s.#2 these old PC's have, at minimum, 200mhz CPU / 64MB RAM (I think 5 of 'em).

a coupla more lower-end (getting Win95OSR2.5).

ole-lady threatening to throw either them or me out, so they gotta go!

Hope this don't get me in trouble on MSFN: anyone want to come to my house and pick up 2 C-64's and a C-128 plus a load of software, floppy drives, meeses, joysticks (like new, no monitors)? I hate to throw them into the recycle bin!

Moderators, If this is inappropriate, politely let me; if not, will repost details in Hardware section...

Edited by submix8c

I have installed the june 2007 update and the little june 2007 sp1 over version 1.95PR2 and i have noticed that there are 2 copies of the NUSB drivers in the hotfix folder: NUSB30 and NUSB31.

Wich version of NUSB will be installed by Auto-Patcher and should i delete the old version and keep just NUSB31?

Everyone who's asked a question, i will respond eventually. But for now:

1) The first post is where you should always look for the latest information.

2) If you install later versions of AP over earlier ones, of course you are going to have some files that are not needed anymore. NUSB30.exe and NUSB31.exe are a good example. If in doubt, just delete the entire folder of the old installation, and then install the new version of AP. Then you won't have any unneeded files will you ... I have spent a bit of time on the new installer and it handles updating the uninstall information quite well i think, so use them with confidence! :thumbup

3) I will release June 2007 sp2 in the next day or so, everyone please upgrade - these updates will only be a meg in size.

EDIT: actually, i can see a way you won't be able to do no. 2. If you haven't got any of the new Full versions, then you are relying on the updates on top of 1.95 PR2 ... OK fair enough sorry for not thinking it through ... the other way to see if a file is needed is to move it to a safe place and then see if AP complains. The error checking should pick it up. Other than that you're just going to have to ask me if you're unsure.

Edited by soporific

Oh well, back to this -

Installed (as per previous post).

In "Start/Settings/Taskbar and Start Menu" under "Taskbar Options" I have ticked "Always on top" and "Auto Hide". Normally, when the cursor is placed at the bottom, the Taskbar "pulls up", but for some reason whenever I use a "Maximized" Windows Explorer the Taskbar randomly refuses to "pull up" until I "Restore" down (or "Minimize") at which time it again "pulls up". Wierd, ain't it?

So I am now investigating who the culprit is; or is there some new-and-improved setting I am missing?

Ok, I checked after uninstall of "EXPLOR98" and all appears ok. not sure if this is the problem, but -

- EXPLOR98 contains ver 4.72.3612.1700

- Win98SE contains ver 4.72.3110.1

I am aware that IE5SP1 is supposed to have the first version, but in the Install, it states the original is from

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...en/IE4SHL95.CAB

This is obviously IE55! Is this a mistake?

Check that... same version for 4.01-SP1 thru 5.5-SP2... IE4.01 has ver 4.71.1712.6, so...

WHERE in the dickens does the Win98SE version come from?

Going directly to the following

http://www.dr-hoiby.com/TrayIconIn256Color/

I see that the original Win98SE EXPLORER.EXE is modified. For funsies, will try that, although I don't see why it should matter... or should it?

Will report back... :(

Used the dr-hoiby fix for ver 4.72.3110.1 and I'll be hornswaggled! Problem gone!

For funsies, someone else install like I did and see if you get the problem... please, please, please!

FWIW, I noticed that IE4SHL95.CAB has SHELL32.DLL in it and is replaced by USHELL98...

edit: Ok, this bites! Above is true IN VPC! I had "cloned" AP-PR2 (982ME "Full" on VPC) to the secondary real-HDD and rebooted to it. Gloriously, it works fine. Also, using Hoiby's Test256 (real HDD) ok, but NOT in VPC (NO 256, even when set to 640x480-256)! This is starting to look like a VPC idiosyncracy (in Ctl-Panel->Display+Settings it indicates "Default Monitor on VM Additions Trio32").

-- I may have wasted half of a post! -- I am going to test this bugger with variations 'till I figger it out 'cause NOW I'm frustrated and pixxed off about VPC. So... ignore most of this post except as an FYI and expect a "shortie" when done beating it up...

edit2:

Could you give some details about why this change (or point me to the post; I can't find it now)?
DOH! RTFM ("modules.rtf')! Edited by submix8c

After installing Autopatch my hotplug icon in the status bar (system tray) does not work. Clicking on it does not bring up a window to kill my USB conn. So when I close down my GPS or camera, I get the warning window that I should have use the system icon to close before unplugging device. Removing and installing drivers did not help, even merging a registry backup does not fix it. Backup with registry and files does still work(without Autopatch). So with the right drivers and right registry over Autopatch, it does not work, but with the old files and no Autopatch installed, it does work. This seems to be the standard hotplug icon in the system tray for disconn. storage devices - any ideals on a solution?

OK first remember that Auto-Patcher is an automatic hotfix installer so the problem should lie in one of the updates, not in AP itself. Are you saying that simply installing AP (but not running it) causes this problem, or are you saying after you have patched your system with AP that the problem arises ... which one is it?

Assuming it's not a problem simply installing AP, we need to find out which update is causing the fuss. Can you please see if you can narrow down which update it is, and also, when you report any errors in the running of AP, please post your log file and or report file text so i can see which modules you were trying to run. See the recent posts by Nathanson1947 where he doesn't always say much, but he does always attach his log files that tell me lots and lots about what he was doing when the problems occurs. This makes helping him very easy and makes me happy to help ... all you are saying at present is in effect "Auto-Patcher isn't working for some reason" and i need more info to properly help ... cheers.

OK first remember that Auto-Patcher is an automatic hotfix installer so the problem should lie in one of the updates, not in AP itself. Are you saying that simply installing AP (but not running it) causes this problem, or are you saying after you have patched your system with AP that the problem arises ... which one is it?

Assuming it's not a problem simply installing AP, we need to find out which update is causing the fuss. Can you please see if you can narrow down which update it is, and also, when you report any errors in the running of AP, please post your log file and or report file text so i can see which modules you were trying to run. See the recent posts by Nathanson1947 where he doesn't always say much, but he does always attach his log files that tell me lots and lots about what he was doing when the problems occurs. This makes helping him very easy and makes me happy to help ... all you are saying at present is in effect "Auto-Patcher isn't working for some reason" and i need more info to properly help ... cheers.

No, just not installing but after I run it, so right its in an update - also noticed that hotplug.dll was a little larger in size, but version was unchanged, so I replaced it with old hotplug.dll and no help. Also deleted hotplug.dll (all of them) and icon still shows up in tray? Disabled system tray and icon does not show up and no warning when disconn. storage device. What file displays this icon - its in hotplug.dll, but must now run from some other file? ProcessExplorer does not list it as running? So if I knew which file kick it off I might locate the problem. Thanks

Yep, it definitely bites (see above post)!

I cloned the above to the "real HDD" using the "dr-hoiby" fix (logged on and using it now) and it is not a VPC2K4-specific problem. One of those AP Patches (also in PR2?) must be the culprit! This time it was not Explorer (obviously) but IExplorer...

I had initially logged on, right-clicked on sub-forum "Unofficial Win98...", clicked on last-page link of this topic, dropped my cursor to the taskbar, and it would not pull up!

Until... I clicked "Restore" in both windows. I closed the second window, logged off out of the first and closed it (back to desktop). Pull-up worked... Repeated above paragraph's procedure and pull-up is working... Random failure...

Either an AP patch is failing, AVG-AV/ZA-Firewall, or... there is a problem with the setup (some setting) for the mouse (standard PS/2 Wheel). I suggest the mouse 'cuz as I write this this the "bar" (cursor position) is going "blinky-blinky" kinda slow...

Will check a few more things out... :blink: (Wow! Just used the pull-down for emoticons and one did not show until I right-clicked and Show-Picture'd! Something is definitewy scwewy, Bugs!)

O-tay! I repeat, hang in there; all this strangeness (strangleness?) will be sorted out... :yes:

edit: As of this moment (A.M. where I am; fired up the beast) I followed the same procedure as above and no problem! I had cleared all IExplore-related caches before last shutdown as well. No apparent WinExplorer problem either (dr-hoiby; haven't re-tried "latest" again yet).

I had, however, changed "Folder Options->View->Menu Speed" from "Default" to "Fast".

#$%^! Ghost musta ghosted a ghost that finally went into the light... Or VPC2K4 indeed did some strange stuff that temporarily carried over (yes, I did uninstall VM-Additions/Reboot in VM before Ghost operation). Unless this becomes a permanent problem, no more on this! (Am I the only one?)

Edited by submix8c

"submix8c,"

I feel sure that you are aware of the 'WindowsKey' (one/w flag) if pressed will bring up the StatusBar and Press the Start Key automagicly. I also know you are chasing a problem for SopoTerrific so charge on.

Just to let you know, I will not post here any more, muchly less. Do not want to infrenge on your work because I cannot help in that area, not GeekyEnough. Maybe one day I may have some input, MAYBE!!

I am not watching this thread any longer need time to try out the FlashGet that I have installed and some other software downloaded over the last month. Been spending too much time responding to forum notifications of POSTS Toasties. Now I need to see if I have been able to learn anythingy from you and venture out on myown for awhile.

THANKS MUCHLY for all of the info and especially to SopoTerrific for his ongoing work,

O-tay! I repeat, hang in there; all this strangeness (strangleness?) will be sorted out... :yes:

i will indeed hang in there ... for you i would hang from a mountain cliff top ... wait, let me think about that for a sec ..

I'm just about to release the next version and i've fixed everyone else's concerns except yours ... i can't replicate the problem you are experiencing ... are there any questions i haven't answered you need answering? You know what you can do to help us with your wordiness ... please do a summary !! -- this means you'll be able to rave away to your hearts content just as long as you give us the short version at the end !! Cheers man.

C & P from the first post:

Fri June 22, 2007

There is 1 new release:

* June 2007 sp2 Upgrade - 19.5 MB

- you need version June 2007 or later already installed.

- the June 2007 sp2 Full release will be uploaded in the next few days

What's new in June 2007 sp2?

* Sun Java Environment 5 update 12 has been added to the 3rd party apps module --- this is why this release is so big!

* New versions of: Unofficial Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 sp1, Unofficial DirectX Media (DXM) 6.0 Update for Internet Explorer 6.x

* Windows Media Player 9 now has a new version checking routine. Previously if you uninstalled WMP9, AP would still think it was installed (thanks to Mazabuka who pointed this out)

* fixed some documentation errors in Modules.rtf (thanks Mazabuka)

* the color scheme function has been removed until i can fix the dos window hang problem

* a new option has been added to the Internet Explorer module: you can choose to only install IE6 sp1 and skip installing the updates.

* If you don't have Outlook express on your machine, then the two updates for it won;t be installed. Please note: installing IE 6 sp1 installs Outlook Express and it cannot then be uninstalled from the Components dialog, you must manually delete the files.

* a new routine has been added to ManiCode.bat which reduces the needed environment space for certain hotfixes including q314941 and q323172.

Edited by soporific