Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

Now searching through the Essential 3rd Party Apps module...

ASET: Warning: syntax error!

*** program code error ***

Track: Flash4ie

Title: Flash 9.0.45 player & plugin for Internet Explorer

TvarB1: 9 0 45 0

TvarA1:

TvarB2: 9

TvarA2:

TvarR1:

TvarR2: ?

You are at the CantDetr label.

Please report this.

I got the same error, everything else was good.

I got a better idea, if you don't mind... ;) Here's the install log for Flash 9: link. Check the registry keys... :whistle:

Oh, forgot to mention: this is from a manual install, not from Auto-Patcher.

Edited by Drugwash

I got a better idea, if you don't mind... ;) Here's the install log for Flash 9: link. Check the registry keys... :whistle:

Oh, forgot to mention: this is from a manual install, not from Auto-Patcher.

thanks man, i was looking at the wrong key, and in the wrong place. Cheers.

Please find attached the fix for the flash problem.

and due to some information from this post, the official version of 1.96 is going to be a bit different.

flash_fix.zip

Edited by soporific

Auto-Patcher for Windows 98 SE (English)

(hopefully the) very last preview is now available, get it here:

upgrade 1.95 PR2 to 1.96.50

16.7MB

If nothing is wrong with this release, it will simply be re-branded to Auto-Patcher for Windows 98se May 2007 and released as full & lite versions. The full version will also include Net Framework 1.1. So if there are no major bugs reported, you can think of this as the proper release described above. The only thing is you will have some obsolete files inside the program directory - so if you don't have access to broadband, just stick with 1.95 PR2 and this upgrade to 1.96.

Edited by soporific

2) Turn debugging on. In the Start Menu shortcut folder that is created when you install Auto-Patcher (AP) there is an icon that will turn it on for you. This will greatly help tell us WHERE the problem occurred. Start the report process as normal, then when it terminates, look for the DEBUG.TXT file this is created in the logs directory and post that to this thread.

:( I tried this - the results were exactly the same as above in point 1) meaning that the file REPORT.TXT was created instead of DEBUG.TXT?

:thumbup

No, both files are created when you turn debugging on. Can you not find DEBUG.TXT when you use debugging? This may still help us although i think the problem lies with your system rather than the program (although I plan to include any code that will fix this problem).

he problem I have seems to be related to the amount of environment space I have configured on SE.

Are you saying you have specifically configured your OS to use a certain amount of environment space (ES)? Or are you reporting the default ES that Windows allocates... You are correct when you say that it doesn't make sense that you are having ES problems because I DO set the amount of space that I think is required to run the module. You can try adjusting these to see if it helps -- sorry, i didn't create a variable for this so you'll have to do them all manually.

Having got the reporting system to work successfully, I then proceeded to install the fixes in the Stability Module. Phase I of the installation appeared to proceed without any problems. However, when phase II of the installation started after the reboot, two error different error messages were displayed, viz.:

i) "out of environment space"

ii) "- the above title started to loop thru installations and so was not installed again"

The second error message is very likely related to the first one. When you start getting ES messages, this means that variables aren't being set properly and any code that uses the variables not being set will crash. Yep, i'm very sure about this one.

Whilst I understood the first error message, the second one was too cryptic for me to comprehend.

It means that the hotfix is trying to install for the second time when it should only need to install once.

As a consequence of receiving the two error messages, I was concerned that the some of the fixes in the Stability Module may not have been installed correctly, or not at all. I thus manually checked that each fix had been installed correctly, which to my surprise was the case.

This makes perfect sense to me. The module installed properly, its just that when you rebooted, the ES problem returned.

I will check out those Strings you suggested ... I will also reply again when i've done some investigating ...

:hello:Soporific. I've Upgraded from AP 1.95 PR2 to 1.96.50 - the bad news is that the problem still persists in AP 1.96.50. In addition, debugging cannot be turned on from the shortcut folder in the Start Menu.

:thumbupThe good news is that there appears to be a very simple workaround to the problem of insufficient environment space that I am experiencing.

Once I realised that using AP to patch a vanilla SE system that has no applications installed on it is very different to using AP to patch a SE system that has several applications installed on it, a workaround to the problem became readily apparent.

In brief, all that was necessary was for me to "configure" my SE system in such a way as to make it appear to AP that it is a vanilla system without any applications installed on it. There are two ways to do this:

1) Boot SE into Safe Mode and then run AP

2) Use Msconfig to change SE's bootup configuration from "Normal startup - load all device drivers and software" to "Selective startup" in which the "Config.sys", "Autoexec.bat" and "Load startup group items" options are disabled, followed by a reboot and then running AP.

I've tested AP's reporting system (including the debugging option which I ran from AP's install folder) using both methods without experiencing any problems.

Once you release the full version of AP 1.96.50, I will download it and test AP further by installing some of the other patches that remain to be installed on my SE system. I would not expect any further problems related to environment space when I install the patches, provided I use the Msconfig workaround and reboot prior to using AP to install the patches.

:thumbupI think the new AP user interface is a big improvement on the previous one, and the addition of the "Help" system also gets a big thumbs up!

Edited by Mazabuka

I will check out those Strings you suggested ... I will also reply again when i've done some investigating ...

Fair enough, i'll re-investigate.

Everyone: for the latest news, please see the first post.

RE: those having problems even getting AP to run under normal conditions...

i'm going to improve the environment space functioning by adding a test at the very start that will warn about systems that don't provide enough for the program to work properly. It's not good enough (it seems) to wait for users to see 'Out of environment space' (OES) warnings - i suspect that the messages aren't always appearing when OES is the problem. So the code will at least rule this out. I will release a new version of Autopach.bat based upon the 1.96.50 upgrade that was released.

Edited by soporific

OK, v1.96.51 is out now!! ...... don't get too excited, all this is for is for people who are experiencing problems with Auto-Patcher even starting. Everyone can install it, but you won't notice much if everything is OK. I have included a newer version of START_DEBUG.bat but that was only because i forgot to update it for the earlier release. Doh. The release is an installer that does all the work for you, just run it and choose the install directory for AP.

WHAT is in the update?

The change is that the very first thing the program does after locating the program directory and running AutoPach.bat, is an environment space test to check that enough space is available and that all the code-checking variables will be able to be set properly. I'm not actually that confident that this addition to the program is going to solve most problems, but its good to have in there to rule out the possibility.

Technically speaking, lots of text is assigned to each of the module choice variables, which mimics what the program is going to do but is designed to catch any errors (unlike the previous method which was a "wait for error to appear and not handle it at all" method). It is possible to trip the space warning and for it to be a false alarm but i've coded for this situation so its still fine to use.

grab it here:

http://soporific.dsleague.com/downloads/Au...6.51_update.exe

file size: 226kb

you MUST have v1.96.50 already installed.

Edited by soporific

Hi to all

I am trying to make a unattenden cd for win98 whit all in it so i need autopatcher .

Now my question i use a dutch version on win98 can i use this auto patcher or is it only for the english version and if so is there a dutch version availibe or can someone tell me how to get the files for the dutch version

Thanks Scorp

I am trying to make a unattenden cd for win98 whit all in it so i need autopatcher .

Now my question i use a dutch version on win98 can i use this auto patcher or is it only for the english version and if so is there a dutch version availibe or can someone tell me how to get the files for the dutch version

1) like the title of the homepage thread sticky says, unfortunately it is only for English systems. And ...

2) there isn't a dutch version available. But ...

3) you can help create a version that is compatible for Dutch local systems by downloading the full version of Auto-Patcher for Windows 98se (English) and trying to install each update manually, and see what happens!! All updates are inside the \FILES folder. IF you want to help, when you do this, please take as many notes as possible. I think you will find lots of the updates are international, but some will turn your system into half English / half Dutch. If this is not a problem, then do it. The best thing is to try on a newly formatted system. Best NOT to try on your main computer.

Edited by soporific

OK, v1.96.51 is out now!! ...... don't get too excited, all this is for is for people who are experiencing problems with Auto-Patcher even starting. Everyone can install it, but you won't notice much if everything is OK. I have included a newer version of START_DEBUG.bat but that was only because i forgot to update it for the earlier release. Doh. The release is an installer that does all the work for you, just run it and choose the install directory for AP.

you MUST have v1.96.50 already installed.

I tried v1.96.51, and the only result was the following pretty picture:

environmentspaceproblemio4.jpg

I tried v1.96.51, and the only result was the following pretty picture:

environmentspaceproblemio4.jpg

nathanson1947, this is good news in one respect -- i expected the people who were having problems running AP to fail the environment space (ES) test. If you DIDN'T fail, then i am completely at a loss of how to help --- at least i have something to work with now. I am working on v1.96.52 to see if i can't extend the function. Can someone else who ISN'T having problems with AP install v1.96.51 and see if you trip the ES limit? Thanks in advance...

For those who really want this to work and its not, you can also do the following:

* we need to know exactly where the code is branching off to places we don't want it to go. The Debug mode wasn't designed to be this precise in finding out where the code goes awry. So a trial and error method would be to do the following:

The problem resides inside AutoPach.bat --- it seems people are not getting past the processing inside this file. So we need to find out where its breaking down ... a very basic way of doing this is to insert break points with messages. ie

(code)

(code)

(code)

echo.

echo. You are here! (no 1)

PAUSE

(code)

(code)

(code)

echo.

echo. You are here! (no 2)

PAUSE

So what you can do is insert the above code anywhere inside the AutoPach.bat file -- its best to insert it right after a label (a label is any line that starts with a single colon) -- and see where the code gets to before exiting out ungracefully. The best places to put the above message code, is right after the RESTARTx labels (there are 8 labels that start with RESTART ie RESTART1, RESTART2 etc). A good one to do first is to insert one right before RESTART8 which is the last label before the code launches the next file. If you don't get to that message, then we know the problem is inside AutoPach.bat -- if you do get to it, then the problem is inside FULLUP.bat which is in the \modules directory. Do the same for that file (ie insert the break point messages).

This will help find the problem, so get to it! If i wasn't clear enough, please say something.

PS - nathanson1947, when you saw the above message, what happened after that? If its not clear, try adding the break points above and then try again. Be sure to tell me everything you see.

Edited by soporific