Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

As I had not checked the windows update site for ages, I decided to try it today. I got the "You must have a MacIntosh" message. I re-ran Autopatcher v1.95, and then I went to the manual installs folder and ran the WU-FIX (both methods). Although the hotfix worked previously, I now still seem to be getting the "MacIntosh" message. Has Microsoft managed to outmanouver the hotfix?

:angry:

Jack

hi all

my question is what order would I have to do things obviously I'd install 98se first with 98lite and I'd remove all the excess garbage and update things like IE to there current versions but what would i do then would i install Gapes pack then run the autopatcher and then run 98 to ME ?? and also is there a 98 to ME autopatcher that will patch any problems introduced by newer ME files ???

I would run Auto-Patcher first if you're going to install other service packs, and i wouldn't use 98 lite ... for these reasons:

1) These days, hard disk space is soooo not a problem so having some excess junk you're never going to use is preferable to possibly getting rid of files that the OS might complain about later. Of course if you're sure 98 lite won't ever interfere with anything then fine, i don't know enough about it. I'm a cat's whisker away from releasing a good alternative to re-installing with 98 lite try the unattended boot CD instead. Create a CD that will have the OS the way you want it after a re-install EXACTLY the way you want it --- updates, patches, tweaks, the works. It will be released within 24 hours promise, i'm just writing all the documentation now.

2) Auto-Patcher is simply an automatic hotfix and system component installer. You can select which ones you want, and forget about the rest. This will get your PC to the point that you can then further optimize and tweak. So i'd do use this one first. Even if it's just to run one module. Then i'd do 98 to ME and then maybe the revolutions pack. Gape's pack could also be squeezed in there somewhere, although i think the first 3 will have all of Gape's stuff covered.

Although the hotfix worked previously, I now still seem to be getting the "MacIntosh" message. Has Microsoft managed to outmanouver the hotfix?

jack, it's not so much what you have installed, more like what mood Microsoft servers are in for that day. You know, a bit of humidity, a bit of chilly dampness and they just down tools! They go on strike! This is my new conclusion based upon lots of "tea leaves" readings of my morning extra strength Dilmah. :rolleyes:

Check out v 1.21, there's a new fix included which worked for at least one person (as well as me) when the first 2 didn't work. It's funny, if i was to count up the number of times i used the fixes and which one worked for me, they are all about even right now, although the modified icon on the desktop tweak (no 3) is starting to pull ahead.

Great stuff and nice that you make it tell us what it is doing!

Did a clean install of Win98SE, switched the 48BITLBA file manually in DOS as it won't boot at all during installation without it (the Win98SE partition starts past the 137GB point so Windows throws up random errors on boot trying to guess what is wrong lol), sorted out enough drivers etc to get it working and then ran Auto Patcher (Full Version) v1.95.PR2 (which I think is still the latest).

The patcher decided my 48BITLBA was newer (there was a later version on the forum than the one included).

One tip that might be worth putting in a readme file is that the patcher rebooted the OS 20 times on that first run. Might be a good idea to warn multi-booters to set the default to Win98SE partition for the duration before they start!

It works so well and tells you everything. Thanks!

Now for the questions:

1. dotNET Framework: It didn't install and I couldn't find it on the menus. I installed it from a download I had (with all the other official Windows 98SE updates from way back when they cast it adrift). Did I do something wrong?

2. Win98 to Me: After all the updates were completed and I ran the patcher to check there was nothing I had missed, I tried Win98 to Me. I felt some trepidation about this as I had once bought a HP box with WinMe on it when that was the latest thing and before I was building my own boxes and I HATED WinMe which is why I got my own Win98SE. Anyway, I am not sure I see what the difference is after Win98 to Me was installed but I haven't played with it much. One thing I DO know is that it is now forcing me to have web-type folders whenever I use Explorer to see C:\Windows or C:\Program Files. I thought we could tweak that out. (I always have .3 extensions showing for ALL files which should be the standard anyway and I always have hidden and system files/directories showing in Explorer - I figure if I can write my own partition table, I can avoid messing a few system files lol.

Any ideas how to tweak those folders from doing that? I disable all web folders etc and tell it to make all folders like that, but those two insist on WinMe'ing!

What other Microsoft "forced on you" silliness does Win98 to Me put back in? If there is much, I'll uninstall it. But it was written so well, I'd like to use it! Can you tell me what advantage it has for me?

3. Windows Update: I am confused. Why would you want to connect to the Windows Update site when running Win98SE? Are they still providing any new files that we need on top of the unofficial ones here?

Thanks.

Edited by briton

Hello!

Great stuff and nice that you make it tell us what it is doing!

Did a clean install of Win98SE, switched the 48BITLBA file manually in DOS as it won't boot at all during installation without it (the Win98SE partition starts past the 137GB point so Windows throws up random errors on boot trying to guess what is wrong lol), sorted out enough drivers etc to get it working and then ran Auto Patcher (Full Version) v1.95.PR2 (which I think is still the latest).

The patcher decided my 48BITLBA was newer (there was a later version on the forum than the one included).

One tip that might be worth putting in a readme file is that the patcher rebooted the OS 20 times on that first run. Might be a good idea to warn multi-booters to set the default to Win98SE partition for the duration before they start!

BTW, what multi-booter do you use?

Thanks, Roman

The patcher decided my 48BITLBA was newer (there was a later version on the forum than the one included) ...... One tip that might be worth putting in a readme file is that the patcher rebooted the OS 20 times on that first run. Might be a good idea to warn multi-booters to set the default to Win98SE partition for the duration before they start!

Oops, i didn't realise there was a newer version --- i should update it, hey ... and thanks for the tip, yes, good idea.

1. dotNET Framework: It didn't install and I couldn't find it on the menus. I installed it from a download I had (with all the other official Windows 98SE updates from way back when they cast it adrift). Did I do something wrong?

Which version of dotNET Framework are you talking about, and which version of Auto-Patcher are you using, FULL or LITE? Framework 1.1 isn't included, and Framework 2 is in the Optional components module. Framework 2 isn't included in LITE.

2. Win98 to Me: After all the updates were completed and I ran the patcher to check there was nothing I had missed, I tried Win98 to Me. I felt some trepidation about this as I had once bought a HP box with WinMe on it when that was the latest thing and before I was building my own boxes and I HATED WinMe which is why I got my own Win98SE.

I also hate WinMe with a passion -- it's on many lists of the worst technology products of all time. But .... some of the files are simply optimizations and the ones i've included are mainly that as opposed to completely alien to Win98. Hey, i have gone out on a limb and said it was the single best update to install and for good reason!

Anyway, I am not sure I see what the difference is after Win98 to Me was installed but I haven't played with it much. One thing I DO know is that it is now forcing me to have web-type folders whenever I use Explorer to see C:\Windows or C:\Program Files.

No, whats missing is the menu entry that clicks web folders on and off. If you go into folder options, there right in front of you in the general tab is the option to use classic folders. I admit to not having noticed before! but no problem ...

What other Microsoft "forced on you" silliness does Win98 to Me put back in? If there is much, I'll uninstall it. But it was written so well, I'd like to use it! Can you tell me what advantage it has for me?
There's no other limitations as far as i know. You should be aware that MDGx actually doesn't recommend installing EXPLORER.EXE without a few more 'companion' files but in my experience it has NEVER caused a problem with incompatibility. What are the benefits? Well, i can't say anything for the impact of USER.EXE and USER32.DLL but i can say that adding EXPLORER.EXE just makes all file operations much quicker. It's VERY obvious that the WinME version of EXPLORER has optimizations that kick butt over the Win98 version. I can't really be anymore scientific than say that adding those 3 files just seems to make the system hold together better. Eveything seems faster, especially muti-tasking. I think there's probably some I/O optimizations that just generally means things across the board will be faster. Maybe someone else can be more specific.
3. Windows Update: I am confused. Why would you want to connect to the Windows Update site when running Win98SE? Are they still providing any new files that we need on top of the unofficial ones here?

Well, this project has been around for longer than Microsoft ending support and i've only just got out of the habit of comparing my new re-install with what Windows Update reckons so sorry for the confusion, there is no reason to need its inclusion, but i would assume that there are others who aren't yet out of the habit i describe above so i've kept it in.

Soporific, I would just like to mention that I am installing a mini-site for you on the space I have donated to your cause. Hope you can put this to good use (e.g. placing more complete instructions, perhaps listing what has been updated etc). I will send you the login information soon.

BTW, what multi-booter do you use?

I write my own partition table using Ranish Partition Manager.

I use XOSL (the original version before it went to sourceforge) to multi-boot - it is a really nice way to boot ANYTHING (for Linux I point XOSL at GRUB but only because the distro I have uses GRUB as standard and I don't boot anything but those kernels from it).

Oops, i didn't realise there was a newer version --- i should update it, hey ... and thanks for the tip, yes, good idea.

I was lucky that I couldn't BOOT into Win98SE without using msconfig to use real mode disk access because my Win98SE partition STARTED above the 137GB limit. (Real mode didn't slow it down much because disks are fast nowadays.) Once I found Enable48BITLBA, I did the manual exchange of files in DOS. You might want to include a warning though - users who CAN boot Win98SE without real mode need to know they MUST swap the PDR file if they are accessing disks >137GB or they will seriously mess up their data when it wraps around. Can your batchfile check the disk size and "force" that update?

Which version of dotNET Framework are you talking about, and which version of Auto-Patcher are you using, FULL or LITE? Framework 1.1 isn't included, and Framework 2 is in the Optional components module. Framework 2 isn't included in LITE.

Version 2. Full version. I am thinking of starting again (new install of OS, then autopatch) so I will check it out before I come back on that. Anything you want me to try out if I do that?

No, whats missing is the menu entry that clicks web folders on and off. If you go into folder options, there right in front of you in the general tab is the option to use classic folders. I admit to not having noticed before! but no problem ...

I do several things as standard when I reinstall Win98SE. Show file extensions, system/hidden files, use classic folders, apply this to all folders. TweakUI to not allow web content on desktop etc etc. After the 98toMe upgrade, it was fine EXCEPT those two folders. WinMe insists you click to show them but I can't get it to STOP insisting and it uses Web Folders to avoid showing them if you click the folder in the left pane. I THOUGHT it was a TweakUI thing that could get rid of it, but I now seem to remember it is a registry tweak. I'll research further and post here if I find it.

Web folders disabled for all folders won't change it for those two folders (only) - Windows and Program Files.

You should be aware that MDGx actually doesn't recommend installing EXPLORER.EXE without a few more 'companion' files but in my experience it has NEVER caused a problem with incompatibility.

I need to spend some time on that thread. Thanks.

Well, this project has been around for longer than Microsoft ending support and i've only just got out of the habit of comparing my new re-install with what Windows Update reckons so sorry for the confusion, there is no reason to need its inclusion, but i would assume that there are others who aren't yet out of the habit i describe above so i've kept it in.

You mean it still works? I thought it threw us out lol I visited it before they ended support and downloaded everything including the kitchen sink lol I must try it some time. (Windizupdate does some updating too for Win98SE but this site kicks arse! (If you have XP, you might like to try that site.)

Thanks for the help. Let me know if you want something tested for when I do the clean reinstall/patch (some time or other - I am working up Vista and Ubuntu but still working in XP for now).

KB913433 is obsolete for the current version of Macromedia Flash (from Adobe now) for IE6. It's also obsolete for whatever prior version of Flash I had on my 98SE laptop.

Other than that, everything else installed OK.

How do I fix Windows Update thinking my 98SE laptop is a Macintosh? I tried both of the standalone fixes. Which part of the auto-patcher is that fix in, in 1.95?

Something else to think about is Spyware/Malware blockers that have runtime programs to guard against Registry and system file changes. If there's a way to at least detect them running and abort the install, with an ending note/warning to stop the resident program from launching at boot, that'd be nifty.

For Spybot Search and Destroy, the program is teatimer.exe Autopatcher will still work, if you're willing to sit there to poke the A key every time TeaTimer pops up. ;)

Now that I know this'll work, I'm going to get WinMe, already have XP's Service Pack 2, so I should be all set to nuke-and-pave for the ultimate 98SE system. ;) Just the 'bare bones' WinMe bits make a noticeable speed improvement.

Toshiba Tecra 8000, Pentium 2, 300Mhz, 128meg RAM, 6.4gig hard drive. Fortunately no BIOS or other issues on this model with drives up to at least 120gig.

You should be aware that MDGx actually doesn't recommend installing EXPLORER.EXE without a few more 'companion' files but in my experience it has NEVER caused a problem with incompatibility. What are the benefits? Well, i can't say anything for the impact of USER.EXE and USER32.DLL but i can say that adding EXPLORER.EXE just makes all file operations much quicker. It's VERY obvious that the WinME version of EXPLORER has optimizations that kick butt over the Win98 version. I can't really be anymore scientific than say that adding those 3 files just seems to make the system hold together better. Eveything seems faster, especially muti-tasking. I think there's probably some I/O optimizations that just generally means things across the board will be faster. Maybe someone else can be more specific.
Actually the EXPLORER.EXE from Win98-to-ME-Stand-Alone:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=96768

is from Gape's 98 SE SP2 2.01a:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=61749

This is the same file [EXPLORER.EXE 4.72.3612.1700 from IE 5.01 CABs modded with Win98 SE banner + Dr. Hoiby's 256 color shortcut icons patch] that installs also as 98SE2ME option 6 and as part of 98SE2ME options 1 + 2:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/READ1ST.TXT

Original [non-modded] EXPLORER.EXE 4.72.3612.1700 [English edition] can be downloaded from [right-click to save CAB]:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...en/IE4SHL95.CAB

EXPLORER.EXE from WinME setup CD-ROM [CABs] is build 5.50.4134.100 and *requires* at least IE 5.5 [or newer] already installed.

That's why WinME EXPLORER.EXE 5.50.4134.100 is part of 98SE2ME option 3 only [and not part of any other 98SE2ME options], because it's an entire different "beast".

WinME EXPLORER.EXE *needs* all other files from 98SE2ME option 3, otherwise the 98 SE OS will lock up.

But you [or I, or some1 else] can create a separate installer for all those WinME files [and eventually add USER32.DLL + USER.EXE 4.90.3001], and add that installer to the next release of Auto-Patcher, if you wish.

If you do, please make sure to add the registry entries necessary for option 3 proper operation [from O3RES.INF = 98SE2ME option 3 install routine]:

[Version]

Signature=$CHICAGO$

[DefaultInstall]

AddReg=O3

[O3]

HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\HELPCTR.EXE",,,"%10%\HELP\WINDOWS.CHM"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce,0,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /U /S %11%\SHDOCVW.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce,1,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /U /S %11%\SHDOC401.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce,2,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /U /S %11%\SHELL32.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce,3,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /U /S %11%\BROWSEUI.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce,4,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /U /S %11%\WEBVW.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce,5,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /U /S %11%\MYDOCS.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\1,0,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /S %11%\SHDOCVW.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\1,1,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /I /S %11%\SHDOCVW.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\1,2,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /I /S %11%\SHELL32.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\1,3,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /S %11%\SHELL32.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\1,4,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /S %11%\WEBVW.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\1,5,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /S %11%\BROWSEUI.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\1,6,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /I /S %11%\BROWSEUI.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\1,7,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /S %11%\MYDOCS.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\1,8,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /S %11%\THUMBVW.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\1,9,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /S %11%\DOCPROP2.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\1,A,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /S %11%\NETPLWIZ.DLL"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\R,4,,"%11%\REGSVR32.EXE /S %11%\RPCRT4.DLL"

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{63B51F81-C868-11D0-999C-00C04FD655E1}\InProcServer32,,,"%11%\SHELL32.DLL"

[sourceDisksNames]

1=,,0

HTH

KB913433 is obsolete for the current version of Macromedia Flash (from Adobe now) for IE6. It's also obsolete for whatever prior version of Flash I had on my 98SE laptop.

Thanks for the heads up. cheers.

How do I fix Windows Update thinking my 98SE laptop is a Macintosh? I tried both of the standalone fixes. Which part of the auto-patcher is that fix in, in 1.95?

It's in the manual installs folder. It's an earlier version of the fix i made using info from this site. The latest version is 1.21 and you should be using that.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=94225

Something else to think about is Spyware/Malware blockers that have runtime programs to guard against Registry and system file changes. If there's a way to at least detect them running and abort the install, with an ending note/warning to stop the resident program from launching at boot, that'd be nifty.

I'll have to do each one manually. I'll do as you suggest for as many as people post info about to this thread. If you can untangle that last sentence, you're doing very well.

Actually the EXPLORER.EXE from Win98-to-ME-Stand-Alone:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=96768

is from Gape's 98 SE SP2 2.01a:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=61749

This is the same file [EXPLORER.EXE 4.72.3612.1700 from IE 5.01 CABs modded with Win98 SE banner + Dr. Hoiby's 256 color shortcut icons patch] that installs also as 98SE2ME option 6 and as part of 98SE2ME options 1 + 2:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/READ1ST.TXT

Original [non-modded] EXPLORER.EXE 4.72.3612.1700 [English edition] can be downloaded from [right-click to save CAB]:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...en/IE4SHL95.CAB

EXPLORER.EXE from WinME setup CD-ROM [CABs] is build 5.50.4134.100 and *requires* at least IE 5.5 [or newer] already installed.

That's why WinME EXPLORER.EXE 5.50.4134.100 is part of 98SE2ME option 3 only [and not part of any other 98SE2ME options], because it's an entire different "beast".

WinME EXPLORER.EXE *needs* all other files from 98SE2ME option 3, otherwise the 98 SE OS will lock up.

But you [or I, or some1 else] can create a separate installer for all those WinME files [and eventually add USER32.DLL + USER.EXE 4.90.3001], and add that installer to the next release of Auto-Patcher, if you wish.

If you do, please make sure to add the registry entries necessary for option 3 proper operation [from O3RES.INF = 98SE2ME option 3 install routine]:

Extreme thanks for unfogging the situation -- i was wondering why the file version of the EXPLORER.EXE file wasn't 5.5 something - i thought it was a pre-release version or something and then MS seriously jacked up the FN. Seriously, what other magical files did Gape put into that service pack? I already know about his special DUN 1.4 but what else is there?

Oh, and of course i'd like to include a better version of the Win98 to Me module !!! I am slowly coming to grips with INF files so maybe i'll surprise you all and make a proper installation pack... i may even go as far as using that iexpress packager thingy that i currently know nothing about. Stranger things have happened.

Edited by soporific

Oh, and of course i'd like to include a better version of the Win98 to Me module !!! I am slowly coming to grips with INF files so maybe i'll surprise you all and make a proper installation pack... i may even go as far as using that iexpress packager thingy that i currently know nothing about. Stranger things have happened.

So much to learn, so little time lol

Every project I get involved with (usually way back behind the scenes) I find myself having to go back to school with no teacher lol

I was reading your batchfiles and thinking how easy you had made it for me (or someone) to knock out some pretty simple C++ code and send you the source for those who prefer a pretty windows type program, then I hit a few things and thought "hmmm! I need to read that part up before I suggest it" and so it goes on lol

Great work.

(The whole 98toMe thing makes interesting reading, but it is taking time to get my head around what the changes actually do.)

soporific :hello: :

Interesting... both the Full and Lite version of v1.95PR2 report tha same count of missing modules (re: "count of modules in report is incorrect" problem previously indicated by others).

And... in the Lite version DX9.0c is packed and was "not found" during the scan. It must be "unRar'd" into the appropriate folder the same way as with the Full version to be found/installed.

Short Path Name still indicated when "If you want to run this again" message is displayed. Try my VBS script that I placed in this forum; It works! I had nearly completed mods to BAT files on v1.95R2 w/Update-1 applied when latest PR2 was issued. The problem was ONLY that Long File Names cannot be passed via BAT parameters (due to embedded spaces).

Notice how the LongPath is obtained via modified instructions (START_ME.BAT) and THEN the ShortName is obtained...

@echo off

:: Start_ME.bat ver 1.95.20

VER | FIND/I "2222" >NUL
:::::::::::::::::: Support for 4DOS ::::::::::::::::::
:: FIX!!! <<<--- also look for these...
:: IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO NOTWIN98
IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO WIN98SE
if "%@eval[2 + 2]%" == "4" echo 4DOS is loaded!>nul
:: Pause
VER | FIND/I "dos 7.10" >NUL
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO NOTWIN98
:WIN98SE
:::::::::::::::::: Support for 4DOS ::::::::::::::::::

SET DEBUG=N

:INITIAL
FOR %%! in (ASET.exe FREEMEM.exe GETVER.EXE LOCATE.COM NOW.EXE YANK.EXE NSET.COM) DO IF NOT EXIST .\bin\%%! goto aPROBLEM

:: FIX!!!
:: This gets the Where-I-Execute-From-directory...
:: Notice how a SINGLE INSTRUCTION LINE will DIRECTLY set %LOC8%
:: This is more dependable because I can navigate to the primary folder
:: in a DOS box and it STILL WORKS (old method gets NULL(?) value)
:: I Also convert the LongPath to ShortPath using a VBScript
:: .\bin\ASET LOC8 := FPATH('%0')
:: .\bin\ASET TP := LEN('%LOC8%')-1
:: .\bin\ASET LOC8 := LEFT('%LOC8%',%TP%)
CD | ".\BIN\NSET" LOC8=$0
start /wait "%LOC8%\shortpath.vbs" "%LOC8%"
"%LOC8%\bin\NSET" /L1 TP=$0 < "%LOC8%\shortpath.txt"
SET LOC8=%TP%
SET TP=%LOC8%\shortpath.txt
DEL %TP%>nul
SET TP=

IF %LOC8%!==! goto NOWORK
IF NOT %DEBUG%!==N! goto Go_Debug

:GoSTART
:: starts the main program file
:: Remove quotes (ShortPath now passed)
:: %COMSPEC% /E:2048 /K "%LOC8%\code\AutoPach.bat" "%LOC8%" %debug%
%COMSPEC% /E:2048 /K "%LOC8%\code\AutoPach.bat" %LOC8% %debug%
goto END

:Go_Debug
CLS
echo.
echo.
echo. *** Welcome to Auto-Patcher for Windows 98se ***
echo.
echo. Please Note: Debug mode (or verbose mode) has been turned on.
echo.
echo. All variables and label checkpoints are sent to a log file that
echo. will show you to some degree what happened while Auto-Patcher
echo. was running. This will increase the running time slightly.
echo.
echo. The log file can be found at: %LOC8%\logs\debug.txt
echo.
echo. Press any key to continue...
PAUSE >nul
goto GoSTART

:aPROBLEM
echo.
echo. Auto-Patcher for Windows 98 SE (english)
echo.
echo. Hi there. The program can't continue because I can't find a file that
echo. is necessary for everything to work. If you have downloaded a small
echo. RAR file without downloading the main program release (over 200 mb)
echo. then you need to get the main program first. Visit the homepage at:
echo.
echo. [url="http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=80800"]http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=80800[/url]
echo.
echo. and the download location will be there.
echo.
echo. If you think this is a program error, then please visit the forum
echo. and post about your situation. Sorry to get your hopes up!
goto QUIT

:NOTWIN98
CLS
echo.
echo.
echo. This is only intended for Windows 98se. Sorry to get your hopes up!
goto QUIT

:NOWORK
CLS
echo.
echo. *** ERROR ***
echo.
echo. Auto-Patcher can't find the location of where this program is located.
echo. It should be able to do this and it suggests something is going wrong
echo. somewhere. Re-check everything and try again ...

:QUIT
echo.
echo. Press any key to continue...
echo
PAUSE >nul

:END
CLS
EXIT

Here (again) is the VBS

'ShortPath.vbs - Gets Short (8.3-style) Path Name.
'© None... needed to get it, so I did.
' from within a ".bat" file
' start /wait "%LongPath%\shortpath.vbs" "%LongPath%"
' one-line ShortPath result is in %LongPath%\ShortPath.txt
Option Explicit:
Dim sp, fso, f, spcf, sptf
' Get the passed variable %LongPath%
sp = WScript.Arguments(0)
Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
If sp = Empty Then
Else
Set f = fso.GetFolder(sp)
sp = f.ShortPath
End If
' Write a one-line file containing ShortPath in LongPath\ShortPath.txt
Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
sptf = sp & "\ShortPath.txt"
Set spcf = fso.CreateTextFile(sptf, True)
spcf.WriteLine(sp)
spcf.Close

The LongName could easily be stored in the same file and either Name accessed at any time via the NSET (rebuilding the file each time started and NOT being deleted right away).

Last but not least, 4DOS is ONLY a problem due to

(1) not using "comspec" throughout (occasional usage of COMMAND.COM instead)

(2) many places in code do not issue ">nul" at the end of commands (e.g. DEL, DIR, etc)

Otherwise, the existing BAT files DO function EXACTLY as originally intended.

I must insist that 4DOS would allow a much cleaner method of coding as it included FOR-NEXT/ENDFOR and multiple instructions within the structures (eg DO-loops much like newer IBM COBOL). It would also allow elimination of many of those awful GOTO's (the bane of a programmer's existence). BUT... each to his own. You REALLY ought to try making a few samples according the the existing samples and what you can find in the HELP section. Admittedly, HELP is not very friendly, as it is more DOS-oriented in its navigation.

Side note: Uninstall does not delete ALL files/folders!

Side note 2: Also posted in "WU-Fix" forum that I had boo-boo'ed in my initial instructions; DID use Desktop Shortcut and forgot to tell you... (use Fix1 then Fix3/shortcut). I only told you about Fix1 (excluding the RootsUpd).

Back to test/install so I can give these (now 6!) computers away (each with its own valid/legit key, of course ;) )...

edit: Well! I just noticed that in the FIRST menu selection screen an option to "Search for Missing Using Selected" and these are the defaults (not ALL), so there is apparently some switches that need set whenever the "Search" function is used on the INITIAL screen (for ALL missing). Sound like the Report Count Error?

Edited by submix8c

Hi there

I have just re-installed Win98 se on my old Dell Dimension XPS D300, from scratch, so it is just the bog-standard Win98 SE. installation.

I d/led your Auto-patcher (Full version) from Softpedia , over-night, as I have just got dial-up!!

I installed program OK, no problem, but when I attempt to run the Auto-patcher, from the desk-top icon, or directly by running the batch file START_ME.bat, I get the initial list of options in a dos-box, with options A-W.

If I choose any option, I get a Box, labelled START_ME, with the following message:

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be terminated."

When I click on details, I get the following:

Fault Location 00C9: 0E57

Interrupts in service: None

Also, the PC hangs after this, and has to be powered off.

I am just an ordinary guy, so I have no special knowledge beyond the routine installation procedures, etc

I thought the patcher would save me a lot of windows updating, etc.

Perhaps it still can, but I can't get beyond the 1st step.

Can anyone help me please??

Edited by irishpancake