Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

Ooh! A Question I can answer!

<snip>

Yes, you can uninstall it.

Correct! 10 points and a purple flower stamp to you sir.

I got this as a PM:

I downloaded Win98SE AutoPatcher last night, installed it on my machine at home and then selected the "S" option from the the "AutoPatcher98 - CHOICE" dialogue, followed by the "M" option.

On completion of the process, I expected to get a report that listed all the missing updates / patches on my o/s.

Instead the process appeared to terminate abnormally and closed the Console window without displaying any error message (it's possible the Console window closed to quickly for me to read any error message that may have been output).

On checking what folders and files had been created on my hard drive after the process had terminated, I found that two folders had been created, being "Markers" and "Save".

In the Markers folder I found several files had been created, including one named "FoundUpd.txt". The contents of FoundUpd.txt were as follows =>

The following updates were found to be installed:

No files had been created in the Save folder.

In addition, I also found a file named "Report.txt" had been created in one of the other folders (sorry I forgot to note the name of the folder in which this file was stored). The contents of Report.txt were as follows =>

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Report for Auto-Patcher v1.95 Preview Release 2 generated on Tuesday, 27 March 2007

- the time is now: 2:03am

- the most recent report is at the end of this log file.

The following list of updates were not found on this computer:

I then deleted the Markers and Save folders as well the Report.txt file, started AutoPatcher again and then tried to report missing updates / patches from one of the "Group" options. Again AutoPatcher appeared to terminate abnormally with exactly the same results as described earlier.

At this stage I'm not sure if the problem I have is simply the fact that I do not understand how to use AutoPatcher, or worse there's something very weird about my SE configuration?

For information, I currently have very few updates installed on my copy of Win 98SE. As I recall, I have the following updates installed:

Ie6SP1 (no security patches)

DirectX 9.0B (no security patches)

Windows Media Player 9.0 (no security patches)

MMC 1.2

XML 3.0

What you are reporting is a bug. When you choose to make a report, it should finish searching and present a text file for you to read. It should not terminate unexpectedly. Things you can do:

1) Inside the logs folder you should find a REPORT.TXT file that is created every time you make a report --- please find that file and post the EXACT contents to this thread. Also tell us what options you choose to make the report, and any info you can on when it terminates unexpectedly

:( I already did - the 5 lines of blue text below represent the entire content of REPORT.TXT =>

Report for Auto-Patcher v1.95 Preview Release 2 generated on Tuesday, 27 March 2007

- the time is now: 2:03am

2) Turn debugging on. In the Start Menu shortcut folder that is created when you install Auto-Patcher (AP) there is an icon that will turn it on for you. This will greatly help tell us WHERE the problem occurred. Start the report process as normal, then when it terminates, look for the DEBUG.TXT file this is created in the logs directory and post that to this thread.

:( I tried this - the results were exactly the same as above in point 1) meaning that the file REPORT.TXT was created instead of DEBUG.TXT?

3) try to only search through the first module - the stability hotfixes module - and see what the result is with that

:( I tried this - the results were exactly the same as above in point 1) - I tested each module individually

More info: the save folder is where your module choices are stored. The markers folder is where all the files that AP needs to work each session are stored. If you use debugging, this information is stored in the log file. The FoundUpd.txt file is a temporary file that stores the list of updates found and at the very end, the list is copied to the main log file. Since you never make it to the end, this info never makes it to the Report.txt file.

:unsure:The problem I have seems to be related to the amount of environment space I have configured on SE. By default, my SE configures 1504 bytes of environment space on bootup. If I insert the following shell command in config.sys "shell=c:\command.com c:\ /e:2048 /p", my environment space increases to 3088 bytes on bootup and the reporting system works perfectly! This does not make sense to me because I note that you dynamically allocate environment space within each batch file, and I would expect that you have sized the allocations appropriately?

Having got the reporting system to work successfully, I then proceeded to install the fixes in the Stability Module. Phase I of the installation appeared to proceed without any problems. However, when phase II of the installation started after the reboot, two error different error messages were displayed, viz.:

i) "out of environment space"

ii) "- the above title started to loop thru installations and so was not installed again"

Whilst I understood the first error message, the second one was too cryptic for me to comprehend.

As a consequence of receiving the two error messages, I was concerned that the some of the fixes in the Stability Module may not have been installed correctly, or not at all. I thus manually checked that each fix had been installed correctly, which to my surprise was the case.

I then got a little bolder and proceeded to install the MDAC updates and patches. Again phase I appeared to proceed without any problems, whilst phase II resulted in the same error messages that I got with the installation of the Stability Module patches being displayed after each reboot .

Compared to the Stability Module, it is a lot more difficult to manually confirm that the MDAC updates and patches have been installed correctly. Having looked at a report I generated using PC Mag's "Inctrl" tool, which showed "all" changes that had been made to my Registry as well to the files and folders on my hard drive as a result of the installation of MDAC, my gut feel is that the MDAC updates and patches have been installed correctly.

Fyi, to check my environment space, I also made use of another PC Mag tool, called "Strings" which you might find very useful. It contains +- 70 string type functions specifically designed for use in batch files. If you are interested in reviewing the functionality of either Inctrl or Strings, these two tools are freely available from many sites on the web - search for "inctrl5.zip" and "string25.zip" respectively.

2) Turn debugging on. In the Start Menu shortcut folder that is created when you install Auto-Patcher (AP) there is an icon that will turn it on for you. This will greatly help tell us WHERE the problem occurred. Start the report process as normal, then when it terminates, look for the DEBUG.TXT file this is created in the logs directory and post that to this thread.

:( I tried this - the results were exactly the same as above in point 1) meaning that the file REPORT.TXT was created instead of DEBUG.TXT?

No, both files are created when you turn debugging on. Can you not find DEBUG.TXT when you use debugging? This may still help us although i think the problem lies with your system rather than the program (although I plan to include any code that will fix this problem).

he problem I have seems to be related to the amount of environment space I have configured on SE.

Are you saying you have specifically configured your OS to use a certain amount of environment space (ES)? Or are you reporting the default ES that Windows allocates... You are correct when you say that it doesn't make sense that you are having ES problems because I DO set the amount of space that I think is required to run the module. You can try adjusting these to see if it helps -- sorry, i didn't create a variable for this so you'll have to do them all manually.

Having got the reporting system to work successfully, I then proceeded to install the fixes in the Stability Module. Phase I of the installation appeared to proceed without any problems. However, when phase II of the installation started after the reboot, two error different error messages were displayed, viz.:

ii) "- the above title started to loop thru installations and so was not installed again"

The second error message is very likely related to the first one. When you start getting ES messages, this means that variables aren't being set properly and any code that uses the variables not being set will crash. Yep, i'm very sure about this one.

Whilst I understood the first error message, the second one was too cryptic for me to comprehend.

It means that the hotfix is trying to install for the second time when it should only need to install once.

As a consequence of receiving the two error messages, I was concerned that the some of the fixes in the Stability Module may not have been installed correctly, or not at all. I thus manually checked that each fix had been installed correctly, which to my surprise was the case.

This makes perfect sense to me. The module installed properly, its just that when you rebooted, the ES problem returned.

I will check out those Strings you suggested ... I will also reply again when i've done some investigating ...

No, both files are created when you turn debugging on. Can you not find DEBUG.TXT when you use debugging? :(DEBUG.TXT does not get generated; only REPORT.TXT gets generated. This may still help us although i think the problem lies with your system rather than the program (although I plan to include any code that will fix this problem).

he problem I have seems to be related to the amount of environment space I have configured on SE.

Are you saying you have specifically configured your OS to use a certain amount of environment space (ES)? Or are you reporting the default ES that Windows allocates... :(According to Strings, the default ES that Windows allocates on bootup is 1504 bytes. By including the Shell command "shell=c:\command.com c:\ /e:2048 /p" in config.sys, according to Strings my ES increased to 3088 bytes on bootup. You are correct when you say that it doesn't make sense that you are having ES problems because I DO set the amount of space that I think is required to run the module. You can try adjusting these to see if it helps -- sorry, i didn't create a variable for this so you'll have to do them all manually.

The second error message is very likely related to the first one. When you start getting ES messages, this means that variables aren't being set properly and any code that uses the variables not being set will crash. Yep, i'm very sure about this one.

It means that the hotfix is trying to install for the second time when it should only need to install once.

This makes perfect sense to me. The module installed properly, its just that when you rebooted, the ES problem returned.

I will check out those Strings you suggested ... I will also reply again when i've done some investigating ... :unsure:I've used Strings extensively with DOS 6.22, but not DOS 7.10 which is delivered with Windows 98 SE - there may be some incompatibilities on DOS 7.10?

Ok.. first of all, great program and as i looked over all the posts, alot of effort and work has gone into this project.. I am very happy with this because in this day and age you don't see that very often anymore..

Now on to the good stuff (hehe).. i just finished installing it with no issues to report.. i actually use win xp pro, but am also using Virtual PC 2007 with win 98 and at first could not get the internet function to work so i dl'd this patcher due to not finding anything else available.. took all of 10 min to dl (i have a very fast connection) and put it on my VM and installed it.. I have to say it is very easy to use and runs great.. the main reason i even started using 98 again was due to a game of mine would not run no matter what i did with XP.. (if wondering what game, Dungeon Keeper 2) i know that 98 is going to go the way of most good intentions soon and am glad that some people decided to keep the update progress of it alive and running due to some people still use it for various things.. great work and keep it up.. :thumbup:wub:

Edited by Grantomas

:hello: Just installed AutoPatcher 1.95 PR2 (March 20th, 2007) from SoftPaedia, took best part of an hour even using FlashGet! But the programme ... ingenious, fascinating!

As you know it includes two options for WinUpdate Fix. With the first it was rapidly hunting or looping between V4 and V6. With the second it just brought me back to the 'Administrators Only' screen. Not to worry ..... :wacko:

(Post scriptum. An incidental effect of installing AutoPatcher is that it has installed WM9 properly for the first time in months, previously WM9 was not tenable on this machine because trying to use it just froze up Desktop every time.)

Edited by plonkeroo

Does auto-patcher run on win98Se that has had win98 Lite applied? I tried it on such a PC yesterday. It unpacked all the files ok. When I ran the batch, a DOS box appeared for a fraction of a second and then the batch exited. No error messages or logs or anything.

hey soporific, Autopatcher is a great piece of work - thanks for that!

i've had some troubles with it and wonder if anyone can help...

- i recently revived an old laptop (toshiba satellite 4030 cdt - celeron, 128 mb ram) with a new HDD and a fresh install of win98se - i started out with win98 first edition, but when i tried to install win98se over it, the install failed. so, i removed windows completely from the hard drive and installed win98se from scratch. then i downloaded autopatcher ver 1.95. the first thing i did was run the report to see what was missing. the report said that 142 (of the total 178) patches/hotfixes/etc. were not installed. i assume the rest were included as part of win98se??

- i configured autopatcher to install nearly all of the available fixes. after i ran it, i reran the report, and it showed 108 fixes were not installed, and 40 fixes were successfully installed (108+40=148 vs. 142 reported by the log - math doesn't quite add up here ??). i've since done some manual installs to get IE up to 6.0 SP1 and fix the windows update bug.

- i was disappointed to see that the win98-to-me update didn't install :(

- of the fixes that WERE installed, WinMP 9 doesn't work (double click on icon, nothing happens).

my main questions are:

1. should i run autopatcher again?

2. how do i fix the WinMP 9 install?

3. how do i get it to install the missing patches, especially the win98-to-me?

4. should i uninstall autopatcher, reinstall and rerun?

5. will autopatcher 1.96 address these issues?

thanks in advance for any help/advice!

ps - the log file is posted below - remember the 1st log report is BEFORE i ran autopatcher, the 2nd one is after...

Report for Auto-Patcher v1.95 Preview Release 2 generated on Wednesday, 11 April 2007

- the time is now: 3:31am

*** System Stability Hotfixes module:

1. q239887: Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement

2. q240075: USB Devices May Not Work in Windows 98 Second Edition

3. q253697: Hotfix for USB Enumeration Problems on Fast Computers

4. q260067: Mapped Drives Update

5. q273017: IDE Hard Drive Cache Package for Windows 98se

6. q276602: Hotfix for Device Manager Reports Code 10 for Device Bug

7. q285189: Dial-Up Networking 1.4 Upgrade for Windows 98se

8. q306453: Hotfix for bug in Usbhub.sys with USB Devices

9. q318307: Update for VMOUSE.VXD

10. 98Updsys: Unofficial CPU Microcode Update

*** Recommended Tweaks module:

11. StopLogo: the Disable Boot Logo tweak

12. DOSHere: Add 'Command Prompt Here' to Right-Click Menu

13. TweakUI: TweakUI 1.33

*** Windows Installer module:

14. Install2: Windows Installer v2

*** Data Access & Jet Engine module:

15. MDAC281: MS Data Access Components 2.8 sp1

16. kb837001: Hotfix for Vulnerability in the Jet Database Engine

17. kb927779: Unofficial MDAC 2.8 sp1 update (with sqlsrv32.dll)

*** Internet Explorer module:

18. IE6sp1: Internet Explorer 6 sp1

19. q322656: Msinfo32.exe causes an Access Denied error in Internet Explorer

20. q329115: Hotfix for Certificate Validation Flaw Vulnerability

21. kb816093: Hotfix for Vulnerability in Microsoft Virtual Machine

22. kb816362: Hotfix for Bug in Mshta.exe With Multiple Modal Dialog Boxes

23. kb824220: Hotfix for Images Not Appearing in some Web Pages in Internet Explorer

24. kb837009: Official Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6 sp1

25. kb870669: Hotfix for vulnerability in ADOB Stream in Internet Explorer 6

26. kb886677: Unofficial Hotfix for DBCS Corruption in MLANG.DLL

27. kb888113: Hotfix for Hyperlink Object Library Vulnerability

28. kb893627: Hotfix for Bug with Group Policies Not Applied in Internet Explorer

29. kb896156: Hotfix for bug when removing an HTML element from a Web page

30. kb891781: Hotfix for DHTML ActiveX Control Vulnerability

31. kb905495: Hotfix for Vulnerability in the Windows FTP Client

32. kb908519: Hotfix for vulnerability in Embedded Web Fonts

33. kb913433: Hotfix for Vulnerabilities in Flash Player

34. kb916281: Official Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 6 sp1

35. kb918439: Hotfix for Vulnerability in ART Image Rendering

36. kb923694: Unofficial Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6 sp1

37. IE_Audio: Internet Explorer Navigation Sound Update

38. DX_Media: Unofficial DirectX Media Update for IE 6 sp1

39. HTMLHelp: Unofficial HTML Help Update (HHCTRL.OCX 5.2.3790.620)

40. HTMLCert: Unofficial HTML Help Expired Security Certificate Update

41. kb929969: Hotfix for Vulnerability in Vector Markup Language

*** Windows Media Player module:

42. WinMP7: Windows Media Player legacy files

43. WinMP9: Windows Media Player 9 & Codecs

44. kb817885: Hotfix for bug in the WMP9 OCX Control with Netscape Browsers

45. kb891122: Unofficial Update for Windows Media DRM-enabled players

46. kb911564: Hotfix for Vulnerability in WMP Plug-in in Non-M$ Web Browsers

47. kb917734: Hotfix for Yet Another Vulnerability in Windows Media Player

48. kb920670: Unofficial Hyperlink Object Security Vulnerability Fix

49. kb923689: Hotfix for Vulnerability in Windows Media Format

*** DirectX 9 module:

50. DirectX9: DirectX 9.0c (December 2006)

*** Critical Security Hotfixes module:

51. q245729: Hotfix for File Access URL Vulnerability

52. q258765: Hotfix for Remote Update Option Vulnerability

53. q269239: Hotfix for NetBIOS Vulnerability May Cause Duplicate Name

54. q269388: Hotfix for Spoofed Route Pointer Vulnerability

55. q273991: Share Level Password Update

56. q273727: Hotfix for Malformed IPX NMPI Packet Vulnerability

57. q274113: Hotfix for WebTV Vulnerability

58. q313829: Hotfix for Unchecked Buffer in Windows Shell Vulnerability

59. q314941: Hotfix for Vulnerability in Universal Plug 'n' Play

60. q323172: Hotfix for Certificate Enrollment Control Vulnerability

61. q323255: Hotfix for Windows Help Facility Vulnerability

62. q329048: Hotfix for File Decompression Function Vulnerability

63. OLEDBUp: OLE DB Provider for Internet Publishing Update

64. TelnetUp: Hotfix for Buffer overrun in Telnet Vulnerability

65. kb811630: Hotfix for HTML Help Security Vulnerability

66. kb823559: Hotfix for Buffer Overrun In HTML Converter Vulnerability

67. kb873374: Hotfix for Vulnerability in JPEG Processing

68. kb891711: Unofficial Hotfix for Cursor and Icon Format Handling Vulnerability

69. kb917344: Hotfix for Vulnerability in Microsoft JScript

70. kb918547: Unofficial Hotfix for Vulnerability in Graphics Rendering Engine

71. UCrypt9x: Unofficial 128-bit SSL Encryption Security Fixes

72. kb926247: Unofficial Hotfix for Vulnerability in SNMP Service

*** Critical & Recommended System Updates module:

73. q240896: Hotfix for Invalid Page Fault Bug in OpenGL Programs (OPENGL32.DLL)

74. q259253: Hotfix for bug in ACPI with Anti-Virus Software

75. q269601: Windows Driver Model Audio Update for Windows 98se

76. q274175: Hotfix for bug with More Than Eight Folder Levels on CD-ROM

77. q280448: Update for PCI.vxd

78. RootCUp: Root Certificate Update February 2007 (11.0.2195.0)

79. q323455: Directory Services Client Update (NEGOTIAT.DLL 5.0.2195.4784)

80. Unicows: Layer for Unicode version 1.1.3790.0

81. OpenType: OpenType Font Shell Extension

82. UNotepad: Unofficial Update for Windows Notepad

83. UsbmteUp: USB, 1394 & Mass Storage Device Drivers (q242975 Update)

84. OleLibUp: OLE Automation Libraries 2.40.4522 update (OLEDLG.DLL 5.0.1601.0)

85. 98TShoot: Unofficial Windows 98se HTML Help Troubleshooting Fix

86. RichEd9x: Unofficial Rich Text Controls Update (RICHED20.DLL 5.40.11.2220)

87. UCopy2GB: Unofficial Fix for Bug When Copying Files Over 2gb in Explorer

88. V_Studio: Unofficial Visual Studio 6.0 SP6 Components Update

89. FdskFrmt: Unofficial Fix for Windows 98 SE Display Errors with FORMAT & FDISK

90. 48BITLBA: Unofficial Update for Drives over 137gb (not for IBM portables)

91. kb931836: Unofficial 2007 Updates to Time Zone Daylight Saving Time Settings

92. SERVIC9X: Unofficial Windows 98se SERVICES Update

93. ADDREMOV: Unofficial Add/Remove Programs Utility Update

*** Other System Hotfixes and Updates module:

94. 2-4-date: the 2-to-4 Digit Date Conversion Tool

95. q236926: Hotfix for TCP/IP May Retransmit Packets Prematurely bug

96. q237493: System Date Reflects Changes While Date-Time Tool Is Open

97. q239696: Hotfix for bug with High Disk Activity or Low Memory

98. q241052: Hotfix for bug with Password Synchronization

99. q241084: Hotfix for bug in ACPI S4 Mode with USB Device Connected

100. q242193: Hotfix for Bug in Microsoft Client for NetWare Networks

101. q243199: Hotfix for bug in Win98se with NDIS Intermediate Drivers

102. q245065: Hotfix for bug with Automatic Repeat and USB Keyboards

103. q245682: Hotfix for IDE Controller Is Disabled in Device Manager bug

104. q249146: Hotfix for bug in PlaySound API with USB devices present

105. q249635: Hotfix for Size Report bug in USB Driver

106. q249824: Hotfix for VOLTRACK Is Erroneously Unloaded bug

107. q250514: Hotfix for bug with Print Jobs on the Same Printer

108. q250876: Hotfix for Print Queues May Appear Offline bug

109. q253711: Hotfix for ACPI Computer May Not Shut Down Properly Bug

110. q257360: Hotfix for ACPI Compliant Computer May Hang bug

111. q257821: Hotfix for Windows Sockets Function Adds 500ms Time-Out Bug

112. q258680: Hotfix for Bug in Screen Saver Activation While Suspended

113. q262232: Hotfix for Bug Using Floppy Disks with LS-120 Drives

114. q271701: Hotfix for Dial-Up Networking with an ATM adapter Bug

115. q272137: Hotfix for bug with Long Filenames and Novell NetWare Server

116. q272621: Hotfix for bug in Reported Size in Virtual Memory Tab

117. q274370: Hotfix for Blue Screen Of Death Using Digital CD Audio

118. q275873: Hotfix for Sleep and Power Buttons Are the Same bug

119. q277628: Hotfix for Last Access and Creation Time Access Denied bug

120. q278033: Fix for Bug in MS Video For Windows Apps with USB Digital Cameras

121. q278368: Hotfix for Memory Leak in Atmuni.sys

122. q283032: Windows 98 Cannot List Users in Windows 2000-Based Domain

123. q288550: Hotfix for Bug in Plug and Play Printer May Not Resume (VCOMM.VXD)

124. q290831: Hotfix for SCSI Miniports Shutdown bug

125. q293197: Windows Explorer Hangs When Inserting PC Card During Resume

126. q295629: Enumeration Problems in Texas Instruments CardBus Controllers

127. q307004: Hotfix for Group Policy Bug in Groups with Long Names

128. q308349: Hotfix for Bug when Turning Off Computer with USB Modem Present

129. q309081: Hotfix for Infrared Devices Data Features bug

130. q310695: Hotfix for DVD Player Program Cannot Access Data bug

131. q311561: Hotfix for bug in MS-DOS Processing Hard Disk Errors

132. q315575: Hotfix for DCOM Program Hangs After Server Reboot

133. q319571: Hotfix for bug in Detection of Non-US Enhanced Keyboards

134. q321467: Hotfix for bug in SWENUM.SYS with PortCls devices

135. q323708: Hotfix for Computer Hangs Bug During Infrared Communication

*** ASPI Layer module:

136. ForcASPI: Force ASPI 1.7

*** Win98-to-Me module:

137. Win982Me: The core of Win98-to-Me by MDGx

*** Optional Windows Components module:

138. NetwTool: Windows Networking Tool (the Windows XP version)

139. QFEchkup: the Hotfix & Update Information Tool

140. TTFPAK: MDGx's True Type Fonts Pack (44 fonts)

*** Visual Basic Runtimes module:

141. VBRUN600: Visual Basic 6.0 sp6 Runtime Files

142. VBRUN6C: Visual Basic 6.0 Common Controls Update (kb896559)

The report took 2 minutes and 3 seconds to run.

The number of missing updates found during this search session: 142

03:33:18 -- Auto-Patcher has finished compiling the report.

Report for Auto-Patcher v1.95 Preview Release 2 generated on Wednesday, 11 April 2007

- the time is now: 11:29am

1. q260067: Mapped Drives Update

2. q276602: Hotfix for Device Manager Reports Code 10 for Device Bug

3. MDAC281: MS Data Access Components 2.8 sp1

4. kb837001: Hotfix for Vulnerability in the Jet Database Engine

5. IE6sp1: Internet Explorer 6 sp1

6. q322656: Msinfo32.exe causes an Access Denied error in Internet Explorer

7. q329115: Hotfix for Certificate Validation Flaw Vulnerability

8. kb824220: Hotfix for Images Not Appearing in some Web Pages in Internet Explorer

9. kb837009: Official Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6 sp1

10. kb870669: Hotfix for vulnerability in ADOB Stream in Internet Explorer 6

11. kb888113: Hotfix for Hyperlink Object Library Vulnerability

12. kb891781: Hotfix for DHTML ActiveX Control Vulnerability

13. kb916281: Official Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 6 sp1

14. IE_Audio: Internet Explorer Navigation Sound Update

15. kb891122: Unofficial Update for Windows Media DRM-enabled players

*** DirectX 9 module:

16. DirectX9: DirectX 9.0c (December 2006)

17. q245729: Hotfix for File Access URL Vulnerability

18. q258765: Hotfix for Remote Update Option Vulnerability

19. q269239: Hotfix for NetBIOS Vulnerability May Cause Duplicate Name

20. q269388: Hotfix for Spoofed Route Pointer Vulnerability

21. q273991: Share Level Password Update

22. q273727: Hotfix for Malformed IPX NMPI Packet Vulnerability

23. q274113: Hotfix for WebTV Vulnerability

24. q313829: Hotfix for Unchecked Buffer in Windows Shell Vulnerability

25. q314941: Hotfix for Vulnerability in Universal Plug 'n' Play

26. q323172: Hotfix for Certificate Enrollment Control Vulnerability

27. q323255: Hotfix for Windows Help Facility Vulnerability

28. q329048: Hotfix for File Decompression Function Vulnerability

29. OLEDBUp: OLE DB Provider for Internet Publishing Update

30. TelnetUp: Hotfix for Buffer overrun in Telnet Vulnerability

31. kb811630: Hotfix for HTML Help Security Vulnerability

32. kb823559: Hotfix for Buffer Overrun In HTML Converter Vulnerability

33. kb873374: Hotfix for Vulnerability in JPEG Processing

34. kb891711: Unofficial Hotfix for Cursor and Icon Format Handling Vulnerability

35. kb917344: Hotfix for Vulnerability in Microsoft JScript

36. kb918547: Unofficial Hotfix for Vulnerability in Graphics Rendering Engine

37. UCrypt9x: Unofficial 128-bit SSL Encryption Security Fixes

38. kb926247: Unofficial Hotfix for Vulnerability in SNMP Service

39. q240896: Hotfix for Invalid Page Fault Bug in OpenGL Programs (OPENGL32.DLL)

40. q259253: Hotfix for bug in ACPI with Anti-Virus Software

41. q269601: Windows Driver Model Audio Update for Windows 98se

42. q274175: Hotfix for bug with More Than Eight Folder Levels on CD-ROM

43. q280448: Update for PCI.vxd

44. RootCUp: Root Certificate Update February 2007 (11.0.2195.0)

45. q323455: Directory Services Client Update (NEGOTIAT.DLL 5.0.2195.4784)

46. Unicows: Layer for Unicode version 1.1.3790.0

47. OpenType: OpenType Font Shell Extension

48. UNotepad: Unofficial Update for Windows Notepad

49. UsbmteUp: USB, 1394 & Mass Storage Device Drivers (q242975 Update)

50. OleLibUp: OLE Automation Libraries 2.40.4522 update (OLEDLG.DLL 5.0.1601.0)

51. 98TShoot: Unofficial Windows 98se HTML Help Troubleshooting Fix

52. RichEd9x: Unofficial Rich Text Controls Update (RICHED20.DLL 5.40.11.2220)

53. UCopy2GB: Unofficial Fix for Bug When Copying Files Over 2gb in Explorer

54. V_Studio: Unofficial Visual Studio 6.0 SP6 Components Update

55. FdskFrmt: Unofficial Fix for Windows 98 SE Display Errors with FORMAT & FDISK

56. 48BITLBA: Unofficial Update for Drives over 137gb (not for IBM portables)

57. kb925672: MSXML 4.0 SP2 Update

58. kb931836: Unofficial 2007 Updates to Time Zone Daylight Saving Time Settings

59. SERVIC9X: Unofficial Windows 98se SERVICES Update

60. ADDREMOV: Unofficial Add/Remove Programs Utility Update

61. 2-4-date: the 2-to-4 Digit Date Conversion Tool

62. q236926: Hotfix for TCP/IP May Retransmit Packets Prematurely bug

63. q237493: System Date Reflects Changes While Date-Time Tool Is Open

64. q239696: Hotfix for bug with High Disk Activity or Low Memory

65. q241052: Hotfix for bug with Password Synchronization

66. q241084: Hotfix for bug in ACPI S4 Mode with USB Device Connected

67. q242193: Hotfix for Bug in Microsoft Client for NetWare Networks

68. q243199: Hotfix for bug in Win98se with NDIS Intermediate Drivers

69. q245065: Hotfix for bug with Automatic Repeat and USB Keyboards

70. q245682: Hotfix for IDE Controller Is Disabled in Device Manager bug

71. q249146: Hotfix for bug in PlaySound API with USB devices present

72. q249635: Hotfix for Size Report bug in USB Driver

73. q249824: Hotfix for VOLTRACK Is Erroneously Unloaded bug

74. q250514: Hotfix for bug with Print Jobs on the Same Printer

75. q250876: Hotfix for Print Queues May Appear Offline bug

76. q253711: Hotfix for ACPI Computer May Not Shut Down Properly Bug

77. q257360: Hotfix for ACPI Compliant Computer May Hang bug

78. q257821: Hotfix for Windows Sockets Function Adds 500ms Time-Out Bug

79. q258680: Hotfix for Bug in Screen Saver Activation While Suspended

80. q262232: Hotfix for Bug Using Floppy Disks with LS-120 Drives

81. q271701: Hotfix for Dial-Up Networking with an ATM adapter Bug

82. q272137: Hotfix for bug with Long Filenames and Novell NetWare Server

83. q272621: Hotfix for bug in Reported Size in Virtual Memory Tab

84. q274370: Hotfix for Blue Screen Of Death Using Digital CD Audio

85. q275873: Hotfix for Sleep and Power Buttons Are the Same bug

86. q277628: Hotfix for Last Access and Creation Time Access Denied bug

87. q278033: Fix for Bug in MS Video For Windows Apps with USB Digital Cameras

88. q278368: Hotfix for Memory Leak in Atmuni.sys

89. q283032: Windows 98 Cannot List Users in Windows 2000-Based Domain

90. q288550: Hotfix for Bug in Plug and Play Printer May Not Resume (VCOMM.VXD)

91. q290831: Hotfix for SCSI Miniports Shutdown bug

92. q293197: Windows Explorer Hangs When Inserting PC Card During Resume

93. q295629: Enumeration Problems in Texas Instruments CardBus Controllers

94. q307004: Hotfix for Group Policy Bug in Groups with Long Names

95. q308349: Hotfix for Bug when Turning Off Computer with USB Modem Present

96. q309081: Hotfix for Infrared Devices Data Features bug

97. q310695: Hotfix for DVD Player Program Cannot Access Data bug

98. q311561: Hotfix for bug in MS-DOS Processing Hard Disk Errors

99. q315575: Hotfix for DCOM Program Hangs After Server Reboot

100. q319571: Hotfix for bug in Detection of Non-US Enhanced Keyboards

101. q321467: Hotfix for bug in SWENUM.SYS with PortCls devices

102. q323708: Hotfix for Computer Hangs Bug During Infrared Communication

*** ASPI Layer module:

103. ForcASPI: Force ASPI 1.7

*** Win98-to-Me module:

104. Win982Me: The core of Win98-to-Me by MDGx

105. NetwTool: Windows Networking Tool (the Windows XP version)

106. TTFPAK: MDGx's True Type Fonts Pack (44 fonts)

107. VBRUN600: Visual Basic 6.0 sp6 Runtime Files

108. VBRUN6C: Visual Basic 6.0 Common Controls Update (kb896559)

q239887: Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement

q240075: USB Devices May Not Work in Windows 98 Second Edition

q253697: Hotfix for USB Enumeration Problems on Fast Computers

q273017: IDE Hard Drive Cache Package for Windows 98se

q285189: Dial-Up Networking 1.4 Upgrade for Windows 98se

q306453: Hotfix for bug in Usbhub.sys with USB Devices

q318307: Update for VMOUSE.VXD

98Updsys: Unofficial CPU Microcode Update

StopLogo: the Disable Boot Logo tweak

DOSHere: Add 'Command Prompt Here' to Right-Click Menu

TweakUI: TweakUI 1.33

Install2: Windows Installer v2

kb918144: Unofficial Hotfix for various issues in the Jet 4.0 data engine

kb927779: Unofficial MDAC 2.8 sp1 update (with sqlsrv32.dll)

kb816093: Hotfix for Vulnerability in Microsoft Virtual Machine

kb816362: Hotfix for Bug in Mshta.exe With Multiple Modal Dialog Boxes

kb886677: Unofficial Hotfix for DBCS Corruption in MLANG.DLL

kb893627: Hotfix for Bug with Group Policies Not Applied in Internet Explorer

kb896156: Hotfix for bug when removing an HTML element from a Web page

kb905495: Hotfix for Vulnerability in the Windows FTP Client

kb908519: Hotfix for vulnerability in Embedded Web Fonts

kb913433: Hotfix for Vulnerabilities in Flash Player

kb918439: Hotfix for Vulnerability in ART Image Rendering

kb923694: Unofficial Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6 sp1

DX_Media: Unofficial DirectX Media Update for IE 6 sp1

HTMLHelp: Unofficial HTML Help Update (HHCTRL.OCX 5.2.3790.620)

HTMLCert: Unofficial HTML Help Expired Security Certificate Update

kb924191: Unofficial MSXML 3.0 SP7 Update

kb929969: Hotfix for Vulnerability in Vector Markup Language

WinMP7: Windows Media Player legacy files

WMEncode: Windows Media Encoder 7.1

WinMP9: Windows Media Player 9 & Codecs

W98MP10: MDGx's Windows Media Player Replacements from WinXP

kb817885: Hotfix for bug in the WMP9 OCX Control with Netscape Browsers

kb911564: Hotfix for Vulnerability in WMP Plug-in in Non-M$ Web Browsers

kb917734: Hotfix for Yet Another Vulnerability in Windows Media Player

LC3codec: Unofficial MP3 codec for WMP9 & WMP7 from WinXP WMP10

kb920670: Unofficial Hyperlink Object Security Vulnerability Fix

kb923689: Hotfix for Vulnerability in Windows Media Format

QFEchkup: the Hotfix & Update Information Tool

The report took 2 minutes and 18 seconds to run.

The number of missing updates found during this search session: 108

11:31:01 -- Auto-Patcher has finished compiling the report.

Thanks! That worked beautifully

This is the report: (my comments continue after the report)

Report for Auto-Patcher v1.95 Preview Release 2 generated on Thursday, 12 April 2007

- the time is now: 3:48pm

1. kb817885: Hotfix for bug in the WMP9 OCX Control with Netscape Browsers

2. kb917734: Hotfix for Yet Another Vulnerability in Windows Media Player

*** DirectX 9 module:

3. 2-4-date: the 2-to-4 Digit Date Conversion Tool

*** ASPI Layer module:

*** Win98-to-Me module:

q240075: USB Devices May Not Work in Windows 98 Second Edition

q253697: Hotfix for USB Enumeration Problems on Fast Computers

q260067: Mapped Drives Update

q273017: IDE Hard Drive Cache Package for Windows 98se

q276602: Hotfix for Device Manager Reports Code 10 for Device Bug

q285189: Dial-Up Networking 1.4 Upgrade for Windows 98se

q306453: Hotfix for bug in Usbhub.sys with USB Devices

q318307: Update for VMOUSE.VXD

98Updsys: Unofficial CPU Microcode Update

StopLogo: the Disable Boot Logo tweak

DOSHere: Add 'Command Prompt Here' to Right-Click Menu

TweakUI: TweakUI 1.33

Install2: Windows Installer v2

MDAC281: MS Data Access Components 2.8 sp1

kb837001: Hotfix for Vulnerability in the Jet Database Engine

kb918144: Unofficial Hotfix for various issues in the Jet 4.0 data engine

kb927779: Unofficial MDAC 2.8 sp1 update (with sqlsrv32.dll)

IE6sp1: Internet Explorer 6 sp1

q322656: Msinfo32.exe causes an Access Denied error in Internet Explorer

q329115: Hotfix for Certificate Validation Flaw Vulnerability

kb816093: Hotfix for Vulnerability in Microsoft Virtual Machine

kb816362: Hotfix for Bug in Mshta.exe With Multiple Modal Dialog Boxes

kb824220: Hotfix for Images Not Appearing in some Web Pages in Internet Explorer

kb837009: Official Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6 sp1

kb870669: Hotfix for vulnerability in ADOB Stream in Internet Explorer 6

kb886677: Unofficial Hotfix for DBCS Corruption in MLANG.DLL

kb888113: Hotfix for Hyperlink Object Library Vulnerability

kb893627: Hotfix for Bug with Group Policies Not Applied in Internet Explorer

kb896156: Hotfix for bug when removing an HTML element from a Web page

kb891781: Hotfix for DHTML ActiveX Control Vulnerability

kb905495: Hotfix for Vulnerability in the Windows FTP Client

kb908519: Hotfix for vulnerability in Embedded Web Fonts

kb913433: Hotfix for Vulnerabilities in Flash Player

kb916281: Official Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 6 sp1

kb918439: Hotfix for Vulnerability in ART Image Rendering

kb923694: Unofficial Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6 sp1

IE_Audio: Internet Explorer Navigation Sound Update

DX_Media: Unofficial DirectX Media Update for IE 6 sp1

HTMLHelp: Unofficial HTML Help Update (HHCTRL.OCX 5.2.3790.620)

HTMLCert: Unofficial HTML Help Expired Security Certificate Update

kb924191: Unofficial MSXML 3.0 SP7 Update

kb928090: Unofficial Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 6 sp1

kb929969: Hotfix for Vulnerability in Vector Markup Language

WinMP7: Windows Media Player legacy files

WinMP9: Windows Media Player 9 & Codecs

kb891122: Unofficial Update for Windows Media DRM-enabled players

kb911564: Hotfix for Vulnerability in WMP Plug-in in Non-M$ Web Browsers

kb920670: Unofficial Hyperlink Object Security Vulnerability Fix

kb923689: Hotfix for Vulnerability in Windows Media Format

DirectX9: DirectX 9.0c (December 2006)

kb904706: Hotfix for Vulnerability in DirectShow

q245729: Hotfix for File Access URL Vulnerability

q258765: Hotfix for Remote Update Option Vulnerability

q269239: Hotfix for NetBIOS Vulnerability May Cause Duplicate Name

q269388: Hotfix for Spoofed Route Pointer Vulnerability

q273991: Share Level Password Update

q273727: Hotfix for Malformed IPX NMPI Packet Vulnerability

q274113: Hotfix for WebTV Vulnerability

q313829: Hotfix for Unchecked Buffer in Windows Shell Vulnerability

q314941: Hotfix for Vulnerability in Universal Plug 'n' Play

q323172: Hotfix for Certificate Enrollment Control Vulnerability

q323255: Hotfix for Windows Help Facility Vulnerability

q329048: Hotfix for File Decompression Function Vulnerability

TelnetUp: Hotfix for Buffer overrun in Telnet Vulnerability

kb811630: Hotfix for HTML Help Security Vulnerability

kb873374: Hotfix for Vulnerability in JPEG Processing

kb891711: Unofficial Hotfix for Cursor and Icon Format Handling Vulnerability

kb917344: Hotfix for Vulnerability in Microsoft JScript

kb918547: Unofficial Hotfix for Vulnerability in Graphics Rendering Engine

UCrypt9x: Unofficial 128-bit SSL Encryption Security Fixes

kb926247: Unofficial Hotfix for Vulnerability in SNMP Service

q240896: Hotfix for Invalid Page Fault Bug in OpenGL Programs (OPENGL32.DLL)

q259253: Hotfix for bug in ACPI with Anti-Virus Software

q269601: Windows Driver Model Audio Update for Windows 98se

q274175: Hotfix for bug with More Than Eight Folder Levels on CD-ROM

q280448: Update for PCI.vxd

RootCUp: Root Certificate Update February 2007 (11.0.2195.0)

q323455: Directory Services Client Update (NEGOTIAT.DLL 5.0.2195.4784)

Unicows: Layer for Unicode version 1.1.3790.0

OpenType: OpenType Font Shell Extension

UNotepad: Unofficial Update for Windows Notepad

UsbmteUp: USB, 1394 & Mass Storage Device Drivers (q242975 Update)

OleLibUp: OLE Automation Libraries 2.40.4522 update (OLEDLG.DLL 5.0.1601.0)

98TShoot: Unofficial Windows 98se HTML Help Troubleshooting Fix

ScanFrag: Update of Defrag & Scandisk to Windows ME versions

RichEd9x: Unofficial Rich Text Controls Update (RICHED20.DLL 5.40.11.2220)

UCopy2GB: Unofficial Fix for Bug When Copying Files Over 2gb in Explorer

V_Studio: Unofficial Visual Studio 6.0 SP6 Components Update

FdskFrmt: Unofficial Fix for Windows 98 SE Display Errors with FORMAT & FDISK

48BITLBA: Unofficial Update for Drives over 137gb (not for IBM portables)

NativUSB: Maximus Decim Native USB Drivers v3.1

kb925672: MSXML 4.0 SP2 Update

kb931836: Unofficial 2007 Updates to Time Zone Daylight Saving Time Settings

SERVIC9X: Unofficial Windows 98se SERVICES Update

ADDREMOV: Unofficial Add/Remove Programs Utility Update

q236926: Hotfix for TCP/IP May Retransmit Packets Prematurely bug

q237493: System Date Reflects Changes While Date-Time Tool Is Open

q239696: Hotfix for bug with High Disk Activity or Low Memory

q241052: Hotfix for bug with Password Synchronization

q241084: Hotfix for bug in ACPI S4 Mode with USB Device Connected

q242193: Hotfix for Bug in Microsoft Client for NetWare Networks

q245065: Hotfix for bug with Automatic Repeat and USB Keyboards

q245682: Hotfix for IDE Controller Is Disabled in Device Manager bug

q249146: Hotfix for bug in PlaySound API with USB devices present

q249635: Hotfix for Size Report bug in USB Driver

q249824: Hotfix for VOLTRACK Is Erroneously Unloaded bug

q250514: Hotfix for bug with Print Jobs on the Same Printer

q250876: Hotfix for Print Queues May Appear Offline bug

q253711: Hotfix for ACPI Computer May Not Shut Down Properly Bug

q257360: Hotfix for ACPI Compliant Computer May Hang bug

q257821: Hotfix for Windows Sockets Function Adds 500ms Time-Out Bug

q258680: Hotfix for Bug in Screen Saver Activation While Suspended

q262232: Hotfix for Bug Using Floppy Disks with LS-120 Drives

q271701: Hotfix for Dial-Up Networking with an ATM adapter Bug

q272137: Hotfix for bug with Long Filenames and Novell NetWare Server

q272621: Hotfix for bug in Reported Size in Virtual Memory Tab

q274370: Hotfix for Blue Screen Of Death Using Digital CD Audio

q275873: Hotfix for Sleep and Power Buttons Are the Same bug

q277628: Hotfix for Last Access and Creation Time Access Denied bug

q278033: Fix for Bug in MS Video For Windows Apps with USB Digital Cameras

q278368: Hotfix for Memory Leak in Atmuni.sys

q283032: Windows 98 Cannot List Users in Windows 2000-Based Domain

q288550: Hotfix for Bug in Plug and Play Printer May Not Resume (VCOMM.VXD)

q290831: Hotfix for SCSI Miniports Shutdown bug

q293197: Windows Explorer Hangs When Inserting PC Card During Resume

q295629: Enumeration Problems in Texas Instruments CardBus Controllers

q307004: Hotfix for Group Policy Bug in Groups with Long Names

q308349: Hotfix for Bug when Turning Off Computer with USB Modem Present

q309081: Hotfix for Infrared Devices Data Features bug

q310695: Hotfix for DVD Player Program Cannot Access Data bug

q311561: Hotfix for bug in MS-DOS Processing Hard Disk Errors

q315575: Hotfix for DCOM Program Hangs After Server Reboot

q319571: Hotfix for bug in Detection of Non-US Enhanced Keyboards

q321467: Hotfix for bug in SWENUM.SYS with PortCls devices

q323708: Hotfix for Computer Hangs Bug During Infrared Communication

ForcASPI: Force ASPI 1.7

Win982Me: The core of Win98-to-Me by MDGx

NetwTool: Windows Networking Tool (the Windows XP version)

NetFrame: Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0

QFEchkup: the Hotfix & Update Information Tool

TTFPAK: MDGx's True Type Fonts Pack (44 fonts)

EuroConv: Euro Conversion Tool

VBRUN500: Visual Basic 5.0 sp3 Runtime Files

VBRUN600: Visual Basic 6.0 sp6 Runtime Files

VBRUN6C: Visual Basic 6.0 Common Controls Update (kb896559)

The report took 2 minutes and 50 seconds to run.

The number of missing updates found during this search session: 3

15:50:26 -- Auto-Patcher has finished compiling the report.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- I assume there's nothing to worry about the 3 "missing updates"?

- The Win 98SE version now reads 4.90.3000A ???

- The "Win98-to-Me module" didn't do anything??? How can I tell?

- WU_fix_v1.21.zip fixed the "Mac" problem. According to Windows update, I'm missing these 3 critical updates:

KB916281 KB837009 (installed, according to A-P) and KB891711 (covered by U891711, I assume ???)

- There are newer versions of DirectX 9. Are they compatible with 98SE?

Overall, Auto-Patcher is an impressive piece of work. Bravo!

Any other tweaks, fixes, patches etc. I should check out? :-)

i've had some troubles with it and wonder if anyone can help...

- i was disappointed to see that the win98-to-me update didn't install :(

- of the fixes that WERE installed, WinMP 9 doesn't work (double click on icon, nothing happens).

my main questions are:

1. should i run autopatcher again?

2. how do i fix the WinMP 9 install?

3. how do i get it to install the missing patches, especially the win98-to-me?

4. should i uninstall autopatcher, reinstall and rerun?

5. will autopatcher 1.96 address these issues?

thanks in advance for any help/advice!

ps - the log file is posted below - remember the 1st log report is BEFORE i ran autopatcher, the 2nd one is after...

* I am going to completely re-do Win98-to-Me for v1.96 -- too many people are now reporting problems, and its the BEST single update you can apply. I will release the package as soon as its finished so all those that had problems will be able to finally install it --- it will be packaged as a stand-alone install which will then be incorporated into Auto-Patcher.

* Running Auto-Patcher again shouldn't cause any problems that it didn't cause the first time. It MAY install an update it didn't previously but that is normal as some updates aren't available until others are installed.

* v1.96 will try to address all reported issues

- I assume there's nothing to worry about the 3 "missing updates"?

- The Win 98SE version now reads 4.90.3000A ???

- The "Win98-to-Me module" didn't do anything??? How can I tell?

- WU_fix_v1.21.zip fixed the "Mac" problem. According to Windows update, I'm missing these 3 critical updates:

KB916281 KB837009 (installed, according to A-P) and KB891711 (covered by U891711, I assume ???)

- There are newer versions of DirectX 9. Are they compatible with 98SE?

* Use the Windows Update (WU) menu option from the Auto-Patcher main menu and it will give more information about which updates WU falsely reports about. You are correct, you don't need to worry about those.

* 4.90.3000A means you have installed the Win98-to-Me module !! - things that should be changed: the My Computer icon, the default color of the desktop background with no wallpaper selected, and most importantly, your computer should be 'zippier' --- ie faster and more responsive!

* Those 3 'missing' updates are false alarms. The reason is you have installed the unofficial updates that are more recent than the official ones. WU doesn't like this ...

This is just an initial reply, I will investigate further and get back to both of you

hi all

have been using 98se for a long time and i have to say its my favourite M$ OS sure newer systems have there advantages but there just so dam bloated and slow

this and gapes unofficial 98se service pack are an absolute god send coz with M$ ending support its almost impossible to keep 98se updated hell even before M$ ended support it was still really hard to know if your system was fully patched

with 98lite to remove superfluous functions I don't need gapes unofficial 98se service pack and this to patch anything that doesn't cover I can now be confident that my old 98se box is as patched and current as it can possibly be

Outstanding Job keep up the excellent work I shall be watching this one closely

just a quick question

i would like to create the ultimate customised hybrid 98se system for this I use 98 Lite and 98 to ME

my question is what order would I have to do things obviously I'd install 98se first with 98lite and I'd remove all the excess garbage and update things like IE to there current versions but what would i do then would i install Gapes pack then run the autopatcher and then run 98 to ME ?? and also is there a 98 to ME autopatcher that will patch any problems introduced by newer ME files ???

also a further though what about creating the ultimate 98 se update and customization package

that combines 98lite gapes package the autopatcher and 98 to ME and a 98 to ME autopatcher to deal with any problems introduced by newer ME file in to one package ???

that way anyone like me that wanted to create the ultimate hybrid system could do so easily safe in the knowledge that everything had been done correctly

i realise this may not be possible for a lot of reasons but though i'd ask anyway

Edited by Bethrezen