Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

It's not enough that I'm in a deep depression and very p***ed off... this board had to throw me a 404 when I tried to post earlier. :( So I'll keep it short: new keys are OK, more intuitive. Good change. Directory Services Update still appears in the list while it shouldn't. The report doesn't mention the package version that created it. Is it that hard to add "Created by Auto-Patcher x.xx"?

I wish you kept the debug choice code I added, at least for debug builds.

I atttach a text file containing both an old report (which version?) and the new 1.95 one.

Report:

I will definitely add your code suggestions now ... its the least I can do for one of the people on my honour roll ... and i hope you feel better soon -- just remember, its not you, its the stinkin system.

Edited by soporific

Soporific: Good news (I think)

The problem to the "You must have a Mac" when going to WU web site APPEARS to be one of MS's making. MAYBE related to "ending support" and MS MAY be transitioning away from the V4 website, or at least away from many supported fixes. I stumbled across a KB article referencing WSUS services that indicates "dropping" many "fixes" from the search engine/.CAB file (an XML document).

SO...

Using clean install SAME THING! :no: Installed MSInstaller, then installed IE6SP1, then did the following (partial quotes from another source, then modified):

-------------------------------------------

For Windows 98 and Windows Millenium Edition.

Manually install the latest controls:

1) Download the controls from:

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/cab/x86/ansi/iuctl.cab

Save them to your desktop. Extract the .cab file following the steps below:

*) Go to the desktop and right click the iuctl.cab file.

*) Right-click "Extract to"

*) Point to a known location (like the desktop) and click "OK"

*) Go to the location you selected and right click on the iuctl.inf file.

*) Click "Install." (the two DLL's go to "WINDOWS\SYSTEM")

- OR just copy the two DLL's to folder... (faster) -

2) Download:

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v4/iuident.cab

*) Create "Program Files\WindowsUpdate\V4\temp" folder(s)

*) Copy iuident.cab to BOTH "V4" and "V4\temp" folders

*) Go to "V4" folder and right-click "Extract to"

*) Point to the "V4" folder (i.e. "Here") and click "OK".

3) Try Again!!! :thumbup

Apparently, there is currently a glitch at WU that refuses you UNLESS you already have these files/folders, because I applied the above procedure to the TEST machine (ALL Autopatch applied, kinda) and it WORKED as WELL :thumbup .

How long this will work? Dunno...

NOW back to cross-checking the 6 updates WU THINKS(?) I need...

(p.s. Remember, LOCATE.COM is DOS-based and CANNOT find anything OTHER than "8.3" filenames...)

l8tr, dude...

Edited by submix8c

Auto-patcher for Windows 98SE 1.92 Update / 1.80 Preview :

OTHER DOWNLOADING LINK THAN SOFTPEDIA>COM

hey guys,i wanted to download the 234 MB file of Auto-patcher for Windows 98SE 1.92 Update / 1.80 Preview, but the download is not stable .After sometime the SOFTPEDIA server doesn't resume my download and dont even support it.Sincew i have 64 Kbps connection ,my downloading is slow so i want resume supported server link.So please i request u guys that if anyone having the complete file then please upload it on any free file-sharing and hosting site .

Please help me out guys .THANK U AND REPLY FAST.

Auto-patcher for Windows 98SE 1.92 Update / 1.80 Preview :

OTHER DOWNLOADING LINK THAN SOFTPEDIA>COM

hey guys,i wanted to download the 234 MB file of Auto-patcher for Windows 98SE 1.92 Update / 1.80 Preview, but the download is not stable .After sometime the SOFTPEDIA server doesn't resume my download and dont even support it.Sincew i have 64 Kbps connection ,my downloading is slow so i want resume supported server link.So please i request u guys that if anyone having the complete file then please upload it on any free file-sharing and hosting site .

Please help me out guys .THANK U AND REPLY FAST.

Auto-patcher for Windows 98SE 1.95 Update:

HELLO GUYS,I WANT TO BE ALPHA TESTER FOR AUTO PATCHER WINDOWS 98 SE 1.95,BUT GIVE ME THE FULL LINK TO DOWNLOAD IT PROPERLY,NOT THE SOFTPEDIA LINK. I AM GREAT TESTER, SO PLZ I WANT TO TEST IT.ALL THE REPORT AND BUGS WILL BE REPORTED HERE.

THANK U.

First, thanks for this effort! An amazing amount of work!

I've finally gotten around to having a try installing the 1.8 package with 1.92 updates. (It took me a long time to realize that the 1.8 exe file was really an unpacker, not the real installer!)

I restored my 98SE system back to just after most hardware drivers were installed, so basically clean. I changed very few of the module options, but will be wanting to get more details on some of the modules at some point. (Still amazed at how much is in here!)

Anyway, on my system the Auto-Patcher fails during the Win98-to-ME module. I get a "Windows could not upgrade the file" message, then a prompt to press any key to continue. Briefly, I see "Error loading User.exe" (and a bit more, I think) before the system shuts down. Looks like System\User.exe is renamed to 'User.w98' and the module doesn't proceed past that point. I haven't found any pertinent log files on that module, but I've left the system partition and the 'autopach' directory alone for now, so let me know if there's something to look for.

Additionally, though you may have already addressed this, I'm not sure if it's recommended to go back and install optional modules later, in no particular order. My next step, of course, will be to install without the Win98-to-ME module.

Thanks again for this very interesting project! I had followed the Unofficial SESP after stumbling on it, and found the Auto-Patcher thread while checking for updates after SP2.1a.

Soporific: Good news (I think)

The problem to the "You must have a Mac" when going to WU web site APPEARS to be one of MS's making. MAYBE related to "ending support" and MS MAY be transitioning away from the V4 website, or at least away from many supported fixes. I stumbled across a KB article referencing WSUS services that indicates "dropping" many "fixes" from the search engine/.CAB file (an XML document).

SO...

Using clean install SAME THING! :no: Installed MSInstaller, then installed IE6SP1, then did the following (partial quotes from another source, then modified):

For Windows 98 and Windows Millenium Edition.

Manually install the latest controls:

1) Download the controls from:

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/cab/x86/ansi/iuctl.cab

Save them to your desktop. Extract the .cab file following the steps below:

*) Go to the desktop and right click the iuctl.cab file.

*) Right-click "Extract to"

*) Point to a known location (like the desktop) and click "OK"

*) Go to the location you selected and right click on the iuctl.inf file.

*) Click "Install." (the two DLL's go to "WINDOWS\SYSTEM")

- OR just copy the two DLL's to folder... (faster) -

2) Download:

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v4/iuident.cab

*) Create "Program Files\WindowsUpdate\V4\temp" folder(s)

*) Copy iuident.cab to BOTH "V4" and "V4\temp" folders

*) Go to "V4" folder and right-click "Extract to"

*) Point to the "V4" folder (i.e. "Here") and click "OK".

3) Try Again!!! :thumbup

Apparently, there is currently a glitch at WU that refuses you UNLESS you already have these files/folders, because I applied the above procedure to the TEST machine (ALL Autopatch applied, kinda) and it WORKED as WELL :thumbup .

How long this will work? Dunno...

NOW back to cross-checking the 6 updates WU THINKS(?) I need...

(p.s. Remember, LOCATE.COM is DOS-based and CANNOT find anything OTHER than "8.3" filenames...)

l8tr, dude...

I tried both methods mentioned here, but I still get directed to the "You must have a Mac" page. Oh, well,Viva la Revolucion!

Wow, new people and lots of feedback and info. You people are all great !!

* I will try to add the Windows Update IUIDENT package to save the USER having to do it ... it will probably go into the Critical and recommended system updates module.

* I repeat what worked for me with WU - clean install of Win98se, run the IE6 module from Auto-Patcher, run the newest rootsupd.exe file, go to WU.

- can someone confirm that it DOESN'T work for them doing exactly the above, so we can start to get somewhere with this problem.

* For those trying to get the v1.80 / v1.92 package from Softpedia --- i'm sorry you are having problems, I am nearly finished v1.95 which is going to be another preview release and so i'm going to upload it via emule, bittorrent, & ShareBigFile probably within a few days (get your feedback IN!) --- Bittorrent is probably your best bet so if you aren't familiar with bittorrent, get familiar now!

* Submix8c: you will find that WU reckons you need either 6 or 7 updates that you definitely DON'T NEED - here's the bit of code that i'm putting back into the program that explains all this.

EDIT: re: WU --- you do need to have all the files in the WindowsUpdate folder as described in a post above --- i am preparing a fix for you to download that will do this automatically

:OpenWU
CLS
echo.
echo. A short note about Auto-Patcher and Windows Update:
echo.
echo. After you fully patch your computer using this program,
echo. when you visit Windows Update it will report you have
echo. either 6 or 7 missing updates (see the list below).
echo.
echo. These are all false alarms: in all these cases, all that is missing
echo. is the hotfix information that was deleted because the hotfix is now
echo. superceeded by other updates released since Microsoft stopping counting.
echo.
echo. There is no harm whatsoever in installing these updates as nothing
echo. of value is installed. You just waste a little bit of bandwidth!
echo.
echo. The list is:
echo. 1) Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (kb916281)
echo. 2) Security Update for Windows 98 (kb891711)
echo. 3) Windows Share Level Password Update
echo. 4) Q323172: Security Update (Windows 98)
echo. 5) Security Update, May 19, 2000
echo. 6) Security Update, March 17, 2000
echo.
echo. Press any key to open Windows Update
PAUSE >nul
echo.
echo. Opening Windows Update...
echo.
START IEXPLORE.exe [url="http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com"]http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com[/url]
echo.
echo. When you have finished, press any key to return to the main menu...
PAUSE >nul
goto RETMENU

Edited by soporific

Soporific, et al:

DID have a problem with WU (using the Start Menu/Windows Update), and went to folder WINDOWS, created a shortcut to WUPDMGR.EXE and placed it on the Desktop. The difference in the two shortcuts is the "generated" one has "Start In C:\WINDOWS". THAT one worked (beats me :wacko: )!

As for the WU thinks I need updates, NO PROBLEM!; tracked them all down and the SOLUTION is to install certain things (including two you do NOT have) before OTHER certain things JUST SO THE REGISTRY GETS UPDATED! Have not actually tested this yet (getting tired myself...) but will and get back to you. **** MS :realmad: !

There a a couple more ("Recommended") that are related to others already installed that will never appear again that I also have. Links for all 6 and several extra have been saved (direct downloads). Still testing... (ONE UnOfficial did NOT install due to Offical NOT being installed).

BUT, so far, so good.

BTW, have you thought of placing the package onto a CD and running it from THERE? Would certainly save a LOT of disk space! (check out FINDCD.EXE; on the WIN98 CD Boot Image). Find the CD drive letter, use THAT as the path to the package, then write logs, etc., to the HDD. Hmmmm??? :thumbup

l8tr, dude: keep it up and you'll have one heckuva package!

(oops... **** was NOT that bad, but will refrain from now on...)

Edited by submix8c

Sorry, i missed this post ... um, I have had problems with free hosting ever since I started releasing to the public --- your best bet is to wait for v1.95 which is due out very soon, and there will be lots of download options including emule and bittorrent.

Anyway, on my system the Auto-Patcher fails during the Win98-to-ME module. I get a "Windows could not upgrade the file" message, then a prompt to press any key to continue. Briefly, I see "Error loading User.exe" (and a bit more, I think) before the system shuts down. Looks like System\User.exe is renamed to 'User.w98' and the module doesn't proceed past that point. I haven't found any pertinent log files on that module, but I've left the system partition and the 'autopach' directory alone for now, so let me know if there's something to look for.

Just out of interest, what unofficial update packs had you already installed before trying to run the Win98 to Me module as you described above? My guess you had at least one ...

Soporific, et al:

BTW, have you thought of placing the package onto a CD and running it from THERE? Would certainly save a LOT of disk space! (check out FINDCD.EXE; on the WIN98 CD Boot Image). Find the CD drive letter, use THAT as the path to the package, then write logs, etc., to the HDD. Hmmmm??? :thumbup

Thanks for all your comments, lots of good info. Re: running from CD: was it you that saw from my code I had already planned to have the option of using from a CD? Well, that was at the very very start before the program started to use so many marker files (check out the markers folder just before the program ends, you'll see what i mean. I know this could easily be got around --- but I was following how the guys who do the AutoPatchers for WinXP et al, and they aren't afraid to whack 350mb on your computer to store all the files, so I suppose neither am i.

If there was a very good reason to make the change, i might do it, but unless there are some who live with less than 500 mb of free space, most should be fine.

By the way, I have made the automatic Windows Update fix like i promised: go here to get: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=94225

Edited by soporific

I'm a bit concerned that someone is experiencing a problem with Win98 to Me module so its at the top of the priority list for things to do before next release ... just letting you know and if you can provide as much information about the context of the error that would be great. Things like security apps protecting files inside certain folders and not allowing changes, or any customizations you have made to your OS, or what exactly happened when the error occurred (more details) ... thanks for all comments and feedback you're all helping to keep Windows 98 alive.

I'm thinking there may be - rare or not - reasons for someone not to install a certain version of an update, while he already has one installed that would serve the purpose and not interfere with the other updates.

... just saying "older version found" instead of "not installed" would be enough in such cases. Or just the version of the checked file, as in the above DS Client case, so the user would have a clue on what he got and what he should do further.

The reason i dug this post out of the history was that it also refers to the problem of you finding that Directory Services is missing ... i totally agree with you that in an ideal world it would be great for the report function to give more useful information other than listing the title of an update - ie separate the updates into those that are totally missing and those that are newer versions of what you already have. Hence you are getting the report saying you are missing an update when that's not technically true. Its not missing, its just old. You see, at the moment its a binary choice - there or not - and that's very easy to code for. If someone was to suggest the entire method of how we could insert some code into what we have right now, i would be interested but its just not high up enough on the priority list to implement without it.

The one thing i am doing is constantly improving the title names for the updates. eg I've changed the title for Directory Services (ie q323455) to Directory Services Client Update (NEGOTIAT.DLL 5.0.2195.4784) which does two things: it shows the user what they can search and check for to see if they have the latest update, and it shows what the code is checking for to tell if the update is needed. There a few cases where i've added this info to the title - bugger if i know which ones but i did, honest.

Anyway, the code is looking for version of NEGOTIAT.DLL (5.0.2195.4784) for Directory Services and i think we've already confirmed you have an older version but i could be wrong.

Please feel free to criticise the above mercilessly!!

Just out of interest, what unofficial update packs had you already installed before trying to run the Win98 to Me module as you described above? My guess you had at least one ...

I had restored C: back to a point where only hardware drivers had been installed, just prior to my first installation of the SESP2. (In case I'm an id***, I have to say that I have a second primary DOS partition which I switch to 'Active' and boot into, in order to 'backup' by copying my 'real' system partition. AFAICS this doesn't cause problems, but it's unusual, so I'd better mention it.)

(Hmmm.. the system seems very sensitive - should I say 'fool' instead? Surprising...)

I'm a bit concerned that someone is experiencing a problem with Win98 to Me module so its at the top of the priority list for things to do before next release ... just letting you know and if you can provide as much information about the context of the error that would be great. Things like security apps protecting files inside certain folders and not allowing changes, or any customizations you have made to your OS, or what exactly happened when the error occurred (more details) ...

Well, it does remind me of the grief I had trying to install DirectX 9.0c in earlier installations. Protection bits set by default (and re-set on every boot IIRC!) caused the MS installer to fail without any details. I only found the answer from other users.

There is nothing installed other than hardware drivers at this point. I'm planning to restore to that state again and look at User.exe properties, then either install *only* the Win98-to-ME module or else install Auto-Patcher defaults *without* the Win98-to-ME module. Then I could try installing Win98-to-ME on its own and see if that works, then go back and try it again with Auto-Patcher. But if you think my unorthodox backup routine is questionable, it doesn't give you any reliable info.

Also, I'm wondering still about effects of omitting some updates and opting to re-run Auto-Patcher to pick them up later, if the order makes a difference or if that's fairly bullet-proof in the checking routines. There's a lot of stuff I'm not aware of or sure if I want/need - MSDA/JetEngine, .Net Framework, etc. - and I'd be inclined to only install the critical updates first but wanted to pretty much follow the Auto-Patcher defaults the first time. (But I didn't strictly...)

I'm guessing you would have mentioned any logs or markers to look at, so I'll probably not save anything from this first try. Any other ideas on best procedure (no w98-ME, w98-ME first, etc.) would be welcome, but I may have a go before you're on again.

FWIW, the error Windows spits out seems broken, too: "Windows could not upgrade the file [blank, several lines] from [blank, more lines] : "

I was suprised that a missing User.exe causes the system to shut down - I still haven't managed to catch the last bit of the error message! Thank goodness for the alternate Pri DOS partition.

I had restored C: back to a point where only hardware drivers had been installed, just prior to my first installation of the SESP2. (In case I'm an id***, I have to say that I have a second primary DOS partition which I switch to 'Active' and boot into, in order to 'backup' by copying my 'real' system partition. AFAICS this doesn't cause problems, but it's unusual, so I'd better mention it.)

Well, that is unusual, but it shouldn't be anything different --- unless you AREN'T hiding the backup primary partition from Windows (does it show up as a drive letter?) ... You aren't supposed to be able to have 2 able to be seen by Windows but i think it's actually possible. If you do, well this may stuff up the WININT.INI method that i use to install the Win98 to Me update. But it shouldn't really. But i can't be sure ...

Also, I'm wondering still about effects of omitting some updates and opting to re-run Auto-Patcher to pick them up later, if the order makes a difference or if that's fairly bullet-proof in the checking routines. There's a lot of stuff I'm not aware of or sure if I want/need - MSDA/JetEngine, .Net Framework, etc. - and I'd be inclined to only install the critical updates first but wanted to pretty much follow the Auto-Patcher defaults the first time. (But I didn't strictly...)

No, there shouldn't be ANY restriction in the order you install the modules and updates. Of course there are barriers i've put in place that will stop errors - eg any MSI installer packs need "Windows Installer v2" installed first ... until you install it, you get a message saying an update can't be installed because you don't have X -- but you can do them in whatever order you think you need to. In those cases, you may need to keep running Auto-Patcher (ie installing single items) until you've unlocked all the barriers. Another example is DirectX 9.0c (DX) --- if you run the report for missing updates, an update for DX won't appear until you have installed DX first.

But don't forget, this project was made for the sole purpose of allowing a COMPUTER PROGRAM to do all the work for you. Why waste time? Just whack the installer on a CD, when you re-install your OS, after its done installing - whack in the CD, install AP, and set it to auto-patch your system. I also had in mind that your OS could be in ANY state prior to using AP - you might have 2 updates installed, you might have only 2 missing - it shouldn't matter. This project doesn't install anything unless the program THINKS you NEED it. NO OTHER unofficial service pack, or update pack does this. You only have to worry about what you already have installed for OTHER projects, not THIS one! YAY!!

I think its a good idea to try the Win98 to ME update on its own. Tell me how you go ... :ph34r:

Hi soporific!

I've been lurking for a while, in great anticipation of your wonderful project, and if I might I wanted to throw in a small prayer. Admittedly this might be "on a wing" too far out there -- maybe it should really be in another thread -- but if you could integrate this idea as an option of your autopatcher, that would be great.

I'd like to use a 98se Autopatcher-Kiosk edition for connection to the internet (56k), and use a w2k system for personal work -- under the totally paranoid theory that even if a hacker "has" my w98e system (it is my absolute assumption that any computer with a wire going out the back is controlled by a foreign power), the 98 kernel can't detect or molest files on a nt-partition. I would load the OS and all 98se programs on a 8-12 gig VFAT C-drive, and I keep all important data on other drives.

Since I'm not a programmer, so I can only tell you what would make me "feel safe," which I understand is a kind of haha, but nonetheless, I hope it can't hurt to ask --

I would love to have the option to setup 98se as a Kiosk operating system -- creating a "98seR" R for Restored.

After setting up the system with autopatcher, I'd love to have an easy way to keep it that way -- that is add an autopatcher restore function, as a routine and daily part of 98se-Autopatcher, Kiosk edition.

On shutdown, I'd be given over to a simple batch file which gives me the option on a daily basis to Restore the system to pristine condition (or adopt new changes, such as after a program install).

If the default Restore (or kiosk option) is selected, the system reboots down to DOS, runs a batch which lfn-copies the system directories from a "safe" area onto C-drive, and turns off the computer. Each time I boot up, I'm restored to autopatcher pristine. If the update option is selected, the system directories are lfn-copied over to the operating system "safe-area" and the system shuts down, so that the next time I boot up, I will see the updated system. (After the kiosk has been setup, I don't want to save *any changes to the registry ... later it might be possible to modify that, for certain keys for known programs, but that would have to be done on a personal basis for each user -- so it's setting up the core part of a 98se-Kiosk edition which stumps me.)

Any chances for an Autopatcher-Kiosk edition?

Regards, and thanks for your help!