Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

Yeah, that would be okay. Just all the display support but none of the input items would not cause the language application to be running all the time. I've done that in the past but since I so rarely go to sites that need anything except English I've just been changing the IE setup from Typical to Full and not bothering to install languages until I need them.

Since it's easier to just have auto-patcher install Internet Explorer my preference would be the regular full install with the install files, including the languages, placed on the hard drive and setup run from there. Then if a page needs a language it'll know where to get it from. Maybe once a year I see a Japanese web page and need to get that East Asian language pack installed. Sometimes I check some Israeli web sites and need the Hebrew language pack. Still, I never had a problem waiting for a minute for Internet Explorer to install it.

But we do need it to be able to find the source files otherwise the install will fail. Either way is okay, as long as you don't set it to install the language input support.

Please also take into consideration that an (admittedly narrow) range of users may have a slow Internet connection or no connection at all. Especially for the latter, they may need additional language display support for offline browsing. I have one of my neighbors as example, which has no Internet connection but needs IE as default browser and Pan-European text display support installed, for a medical application (had Firefox as default and the application wouldn't launch at all).

Okay, back in business. McAfee, with the exception of the firewall (can you say fatal exception in mpfbocks.vxd 3 times fast?), works fine. Eh. So I installed ZoneAlarm, no loss (except for a few $).

Here's what Windows Update says isn't installed -

KB916281 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 SP1

KB891711 Security Update for Windows 98

Windows Share Level Password Update

Q323172 Security Update (Windows 98) (Flaw in Digital Certificate Enrollment Component Allows Certificate Deletion)

Security Update, May 19, 2000 (IP Fragment Reassembly)

Security Update, March 17, 2000 (DOS Device in Path Name)

Hmm, I guess they for some reason want the older IE Cumulative DLL update installed. No idea why since we have the newer one installed by auto-patcher.

The KB891711 we know about. Don't need that since the unofficial one is installed and that would remove the Microsoft registry entries and files from this older one anyway.

The other 4 I have no clue about. Do we need these? Or have thay been made obsolete by updates in the auto-patcher or been found to be troublesome in some way so purposely been left out?

Other weirdness -

As soon as I installed McAfee that My Computer icon became the newer, WinME, 2000 one. Well, at least it matches what Display Properties and Plus! Theme Manager say it is now. What the heck did McAfee software fix up there? And how do we do that without installing McAfee? Obviously something was out of whack when everything said the new icon was applied and the current one that was being used, but the old icon was really there.

regarding MDGx's latest version of NUSB24.EXE ...
That is Maximus-Decim's NUSB 2.4, I only uploaded it at my site.

doesn't ScanFrag install the ME versions of scandisk and defrag??
Yes, it does.

BTW:

You may want to download SCANFRAG.EXE again, I've added some more files:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#TLS

* Microsoft Disk Defragmenter (DEFRAG.EXE 4.90.3000 from Windows ME), Hardware Diagnostic Tool (HWINFO.EXE 4.90.3000 from Windows ME), System Configuration (MECONFIG.EXE 4.90.3001 from Windows ME Q272719 Hotfix), Disk Scanner (SCANDSKW.EXE 4.90.3000 + SCANDISK.EXE from Windows ME), Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE 4.90.3000 from Windows ME = modified to work with all Windows 95/98 releases), Registry Scanner (SCANREGW.EXE 4.10.1998 + SCANREG.EXE from Windows 98 SE), SCANREG.INI Editor [sREDIT.EXE from Windows 98 Resource Kit (RK)], MSDOS.SYS Editor [bOOTEDIT.EXE 1.0.0.1 from Windows 98 Resource Kit (RK)] + System File Checker (SFC.EXE 4.10.2222 from Windows 98 SE) Tools for Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE [733 KB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/SCANFRAG.EXE

HTH

That is Maximus-Decim's NUSB 2.4, I only uploaded it at my site.

That's a bummer ... oh well, the update is included but only in the manual installs folder. Thanks for hosting it!!

doesn't ScanFrag install the ME versions of scandisk and defrag??

You may want to download SCANFRAG.EXE again, I've added some more files:

Yep, i keep a close watch of your updates thread these days and I saw that. Thanks for pointing it out again tho.

Edited by soporific

Here's what Windows Update says isn't installed -

KB916281 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 SP1

KB891711 Security Update for Windows 98

Windows Share Level Password Update

Q323172 Security Update (Windows 98) (Flaw in Digital Certificate Enrollment Component Allows Certificate Deletion)

Security Update, May 19, 2000 (IP Fragment Reassembly)

Security Update, March 17, 2000 (DOS Device in Path Name)

Hmm, I guess they for some reason want the older IE Cumulative DLL update installed. No idea why since we have the newer one installed by auto-patcher.

OK, this is quite annoying. At least 6 of the 7 updates Windows Update thinks are needed, are NOT needed. In particular, for the official cumulative update for Internet Explorer 6, I tried very hard to get this installed but also keeping Windows Update happy when the unofficial cumulative update is subsequently installed. No luck --- all I managed to do is get the files installed properly so when Windows Update "re-installs" kb916281 all it does is tell *itself* that it has now been installed. Sheesh!! All the updates (except q323172 which I'm investigating further) are in this category -- i.e when Windows Update re-installs these updates, nothing of value is added to your system.

If there was a way to stop Windows Update giving these false readings I would definitely employ that way, but it seems not. So I will put a disclaimer somewhere advising that this is the case and not to worry about the results of using Windows Update.

Edited by soporific

After finally getting my DSL connection to work, I could download the large 180MB file overnight. Alas, the link for the Version 1.7 update, http://z31.zupload.com/download.php?file=g...;filepath=18522 is not working. Repeatedly clicking on "Download File" gives no results. I am eager to test this package on a new Win98 system, and then repackage it into a "Windows 98 Final Edition" install CD, for any future reinstalls. Are there any other 'mirrors' from which the update file is available for download?

just re-checked the link --- it works in both Firefox and Internet Advertising Companion (otherwise known as Internet Explorer) ... i'd prefer to only have the one working link at the moment ... i get to know how many people have downloaded the file .... 252 at last count ... can you please confirm that this behaviour exists for at least 2 of the browsers you have installed on your system (you have at least 2 don't you?) ... the other alternative is to wait for the v1.8 release ... coming soon ...

just re-checked the link --- it works in both Firefox and Internet Advertising Companion (otherwise known as Internet Explorer) ... i'd prefer to only have the one working link at the moment ... i get to know how many people have downloaded the file .... 252 at last count ... can you please confirm that this behaviour exists for at least 2 of the browsers you have installed on your system (you have at least 2 don't you?) ... the other alternative is to wait for the v1.8 release ... coming soon ...

Soporfic,

I've been lurking for some time and just want to take this time to thank you for your autopatcher. Like others, I've used exuberant and so don't need to use anything else until I manage to crash this laptop one more time. One thing I particualrly like about your design is the concept of only installing those patches that your system is missing. Nice...very nice.

Much thanks,

N

P.S. I'm on of many fans of K-Meleon, the light Gecko browser and many of us over there are also W98se users. You might want to stop by sometime!

I'm not sure where to find this info at...

Where can I find a listing of *all* updates applied by this package?

I have a program (HPJobber) that has *severe* problems with the updates applied.

I nailed the issue down to the version number of Win98SE... Can anyone tell me which updates change that value to specific values? And how to manually override the version setting to read 4.10.1998? Fully updated, the version is like 4.?NOT 10?.2222

If I do not select ANY Media Player crap, or the DUN1.4, it doesn't keep that number down...

If I don't select to install IE6 SPwhatever, most of the updates won't install.

From what I can gather, HPJobber doesn't like one of the updates, or perhaps it is as simple as the version returned not being expected... I don't know.

HPJobber is a total business 'solution'. Invoices, payroll, etc.

The issues it has with the updates:

All user data (that is added at install, but locked out after first use- like employee names for instance), is missing. The program acts as if it is an illegal install... which, AFAIK is impossible to do... the programmers told me themselves that all files are in the program folder, and to "copy" the folder to another PC... If I use an older PC with I believe 1.6Auto-patcher installed, there's no problems.

I am using a brand new P4 3.2 tower (x5 units) with *full* Win98SE support from Gigabyte... and even *without* Auot-patcher, they still refuse to show total price on invoices... the field is empty... but all other prices and taxes are filled in automatically by the software.... if I use the older PC, the values are properly placed... HP Jobber runs over the network from one of the new towers to 4 other machines... including the older PC that has no issues....

I don't know what 'updates' Gigabyte installs for proper support on 98, but I think ONE of them killed the invoice price listing...

Any ideas?? I am totally stumped... All the issues are resolved without Autopatcher (except the invoice total missing)... HPJobber support wants $75 an hour, a high speed internet connection (not feasible in the shop with this prob), and an "upgrade" to the newest version for $365 a year... methinks they just hard coded the version string into the program, and it causes issues like these to get people to upgrade... (They have in the past... the version in use here is the *only* one without a real-deal freakin' TIME-BOMB embedded in it to detonate every year...)

Why not scrap the software altogether? It's an older business, with older owners... And the software is already overpowered for their use... but it is what 'they know'...

I'm surprised the auto-patcher runs at all on 4.10.1998. That's Windows 98 First Edition or Windows 98 Gold, the initial release of Windows 98.

Can't use 98SE updaters on that. You need the Unofficial W98 First Edition Service Pack instead.

No wonder your system gets messed up. Lots of these updates don't work properly on 98 First Edition. No need to go into details, as it would be expected that everything got messed up. Gotta format and install the proper updates for your operating system.

I got one of the towers setup with 98SE (hologram CD), and it reports 4.??.1999

the same thing happens with auto-patcher... the OS and everything works *great*... but same issues in this one particular program...

on 98 gold, the drives got thrashed *really* bad... sorry for missing that detail in my post...

(now, the whole office is running standard 98SE... no updates at all installed.)

Anyone know if they changed something with the date functions? Or the region money settings? I just can't pin it down...

I *really* want to patch these towers... I know the date stuff isn't handled properly (still only 2 digits used for years), but other than that I am stumped.

Do you know how to 'force' Windows to report a specific version? I know 'ver' returns it, but can it change it? I used to be a great 98 guru, but since I use XP daily the last 5 years, I lost much of what I knew...

Or a list of official updates I can select in Auto-patcher? I enjoy the extras, but I can't figure out this problem on a stock machine, let alone a customised one...

Edited by DeadDude

Well, all the official updates included should be installed anyway. Obsolete updates that Windows Update might install have been eliminated. In other words, nearly all the guess work has been eliminated.

The updates are listed in the first post of this thread. The choices available to toggle on/off are within each module of the auto-patcher program.

Er, it would be advantageous to you to ensure none of your not updated yet machines are connected to the internet!

Make sure you download 1.5 AND 1.7 and run both (closing the first one without starting the patching), then go ahead and run it.

If you get out of environment space error messages at the beginning you can stop it and right click all the batch files on the desktop and in the root auto-patcher folder in the Windows\Temp directory and on the memory tabs just select the largest choice for Initial Environment. I still got the first screen warning of using too much, but when I told it to go ahead and run anyway there were no more errors. The log showed all the environment spaces to be within normal parameters.

I got one of the towers setup with 98SE (hologram CD), and it reports 4.??.1999

I've only just read about your issues --- and will try to provide some more information soon.

I'm surprised the auto-patcher runs at all on 4.10.1998. That's Windows 98 First Edition or Windows 98 Gold, the initial release of Windows 98.

Yep, there is a check for Windows 98 second edition when the program is first run so I'm not sure how DeadDude managed to proceed. I'll check the code again ...

Edited by soporific