Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

@soporific, please read the last reply to your thread over in Neowin in reguard to your unauthorized use of the name 'AutoPatcher' (p.s. dont forget your profile - 'creator of Autopatcher').

1) let me get my practical response out of the way first. I have changed all references to AutoPatcher for Windows 98 etc etc, to now read auto-patcher. I have dropped the capitalization of the A, and will put a hyphen between the words "Auto" and "Patcher". Happy now? I couldn't give a flying f**k if you're not.

2) unauthorised? who gave you the authorisation in the first place to reserve the word autopatcher for your own exclusive use? usually its only governments backed up by the power of the state that get away with this sort of sh*t. so i'd like to know, which army, navy and/or airforce are you going to send to who knows where, to enforce these restrictions?

3) The other way to approach this would be to enter into negotiations with me over this question which would have avoided the nastiness of my second point. You indicated on the other forum that you had no idea why I would post something like I did. Gee, maybe telling the world that the auto-patcher for windows 98 se actually existed was a possible reason. Especially when I read the thread where someone was asking where they could download it. I actually posted into that thread advertising the existence of my project but it looks like that was ignored.

4) And so, because of all this &^%$& this project is now worth just one star... not that I was counting or it really matters, but this a******e seems to be trying to get back at me in every way possible. :realmad:

Edited by soporific

What were you thinking? It's like walking into BG's office saying "hey, I got a project called Windoves, it's a small operating system for laptops; do you mind if I advertise it here?"

I definitely don't like their approach on the matter, but it's like you asked for it; sorry for being so blunt.

Who gives a sh!t on the name, anyway? Only stupid people "buy" the brand name, the others read the label. ;) So scr3w them with their "branded" name.

1) let me get my practical response out of the way first. I have changed all references to AutoPatcher for Windows 98 etc etc, to now read auto-patcher. I have dropped the capitalization of the A, and will put a hyphen between the words "Auto" and "Patcher". Happy now? I couldn't give a flying f**k if you're not.
Your going to have to contact 'nw_raptor' of Neowin in reguard to the naming confliction, i didn't write the post in Neowin myself, nw_raptor did. I'm a release manager, nw_raptor is the project manager and creator of the official AutoPatcher project, it's his decision whether the change is good enough.
2) unauthorised? who gave you the authorisation in the first place to reserve the word autopatcher for your own exclusive use? usually its only governments backed up by the power of the state that get away with this sort of sh*t. so i'd like to know, which army, navy and/or airforce are you going to send to who knows where, to enforce these restrictions?
This hasn't got anything to do with politics, it's simply a naming conflict, perhaps 'unauthorized' was the wrong choice of word. You looked at our project, decided it would be nice to create something similar for Win98 SE, so you created your own project, however you kept our name and thats the problem!
3) The other way to approach this would be to enter into negotiations with me over this question which would have avoided the nastiness of my second point. You indicated on the other forum that you had no idea why I would post something like I did. Gee, maybe telling the world that the auto-patcher for windows 98 se actually existed was a possible reason. Especially when I read the thread where someone was asking where they could download it. I actually posted into that thread advertising the existence of my project but it looks like that was ignored.
The aim of my previous post was not to enter a negotiation nor ask a question, it was to state that theres a problem and get you in touch with my project manager, besides which you could have just asked us if it was okay to use our project name in the first place and that would have avoided everything!

As i said, i didn't write the comment in the Neowin thread myself, but i believe we all understand that you wanted to advertise the availability of your project, however i don't think you approached it in the right way! You could have posted a thread saying "hey, as AutoPatcher doesn't really support win98, i've created my own spin off project, see here: [link]", which personally i would have been fine with, however instead it was a large post detailing your project which doesn't belong in our support forum, especially when it has our project name on it yet has nothing to do with us!

4) And so, because of all this &^%$& this project is now worth just one star... not that I was counting or it really matters, but this a******e seems to be trying to get back at me in every way possible. :realmad:
FYI i haven't actually rated this topic, it has nothing to do with me if it has one star! Look, i commend you for the work your doing, but you can't use our projects name like this, please contact nw_raptor to get this naming conflict matter resolved asap.

I suppose it is the way of the world, you have a chap putting an awful amount of his effort into putting back what he received from the os, then you have another party putting all the latest patches breaking ms eula coming the higher ground?

It beggars belief

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year

Edited by oscardog

@soporific: I, together with italian localizer of AutoPatcher XP, 2000, 2003 (dkdk_it) manage a site where we publish monthly these versions, therefore, until you don't solve your problem of name conflict, I can't localize your work... :no:

@soporific: I, together with italian localizer of AutoPatcher XP, 2000, 2003 (dkdk_it) manage a site where we publish monthly these versions, therefore, until you don't solve your problem of name conflict, I can't localize your work... :no:

Max it has been changed,it is now new and improved with a hyphen, at no extra cost

A question - what about that inclusion of MDGx's Media Player/XP pack? Doesn't that include the mp3 codec? So if we choose to have the auto-patcher install the MDGx pack we get the encoder, right? That's without activating your seperate installer of the encoder. Do I understand that correctly?

Another thing is the Internet Explorer 6 SP1 install. I have a Microsoft cd version of that, which I've used mostly. Once Internet Explorer is installed with that cd, it becomes the installation source called for as far as stuff like the browser needing different language display capabilities, etc. I'd rather be able to just run your auto-patcher as a one step update for 98SE, but I'm wondering whether that's really a good idea for some of the items. As far as the Internet Explorer example goes for instance, wouldn't I have a problem where Windows will pop up an error saying the Windows Update source isn't available? Or would it automatically use the Windows Update internet site instead of calling for a local cd or hard drive location for the needed files? With the cd install, the Windows Update file location for Internet Explorer files is the cd I can insert into the drive.

Sometimes things like this get complicated, eh? Any suggestions?

Edited by Eck

I asked precisely about the IE6-SP1 additional languages issue in some other thread around (I believe it was "seven years later" thread). Personally I install all possibile additional languages display support in IE, so it wouldn't popup that annoying message when I go to a web page that needs some Asian fonts or whatever.

I would expect that every package that installs IE6-SP1 would either allow user to customize items to be installed in IE, or install all of them by default, to avoid further nagging.

Why not just forget about IE and OE.., They are leaky and risky, and the general targets of bully hacker attackers...

Get the updated 6.. Leave them in the OS, because they are integral in operation of the Windows OS.. and block IE and OE with a good firewall, leaving them sealed-up in their little boxes... then load Seamonkey 1.1, which gives you much faster/safer/cleaner browser and email tools.. and the plus is that Seamonkey is crammed full of treasures and features that no other browser has...

Although I see very little point in replying here, let me do so.

People here seem to lack common sense. Let me help you understand why naming your project AutoPatcher is a problem, since it seems you can't figure it out on your own.

Let us assume for a second that our project is called WhateverApp. Then, you go and create a project called WhateverApp. Our forums are at NeoWhatever and yours are at MicroWhatever. Where is one supposed to post for help regarding WhateverApp? Answer: The user won't know, and we can't be sure either? I don't know about you guys, but I would be totally lost if someone came in and asked why pressing A then B then C doesn't work on AutoPatcher.

For the love of whatever is sacred to you, can't we keep things simple?

Now, since I don't need bad language to state my case, I'll continue in a civilized way. As I replied to your project's starter, I would have no problem for you to use the AutoPatcher name, so long as you actually use AutoPatcher. As a sign of good will, I'd be willing to revise the code in order for Windows 98 SE to be fully supported. We would keep our forums at Neowin and you keep yours here.

I think I'm being reasonable and fair enough.

Yeah, I'm not even the creator or anything but I got all defensive. Sorry about that, and the bad language.

I see your point. Although modeled after and mean't to do the same sort of thing, it's probably not using the same process as this one's designed exclusively to make these updates work on 98SE.

No one wants users to be confused or folks asked questions that don't pertain to their program.

This naming thing just reminded me of the old flame wars between the 3rd party 3dfx driver modders. I always thought those arguments were ludicrous as they all were just trying to help out in different ways.

Just had an emotional, protective reaction. Oops.

In the sage words of Emily Littela, "Never mind."

Previous post edited to remove my nonsense.

Edited by Eck

soperific,

I'm still concerned about the powrprof.dll errors, the inablility of my USB device drivers (printer, scanner), and most of my startup items to start after loading your pack then installing 98MP10. As well as the normal dropdown explorer window menu bar not appearing, just the Internet Explorer style icon menu with the back, forward stuff and the icons being XP style.

Next time I'll try deactivating 98SE2ME and 98MP10 in your auto-patcher and just installing them myself afterwards. That should at least eliminate that strange duplicate Explorer.exe and desktop icon problem I had last time.

But is something in your pack installing perhaps a laptop version of powrprof.dll? I'm on a desktop pc. I noticed that by default you have the laptop updates turned off, so that shouldn't have happened I guess.

So it wasn't just the WMP version errors I was getting.

I've posted similar in the 98MP10 thread as I have no idea where the fault lies.

A question - what about that inclusion of MDGx's Media Player/XP pack? Doesn't that include the mp3 codec? So if we choose to have the auto-patcher install the MDGx pack we get the encoder, right? That's without activating your seperate installer of the encoder. Do I understand that correctly?

There is duplication going on here ... I didn't realise the XP mp3 codec was installed along with MDGx's killer replacements pack. But then again, you now have the option of only installing the codec if that is useful for some reason.

Another thing is the Internet Explorer 6 SP1 install. I have a Microsoft cd version of that, which I've used mostly. Once Internet Explorer is installed with that cd, it becomes the installation source called for as far as stuff like the browser needing different language display capabilities, etc. I'd rather be able to just run your auto-patcher as a one step update for 98SE, but I'm wondering whether that's really a good idea for some of the items. As far as the Internet Explorer example goes for instance, wouldn't I have a problem where Windows will pop up an error saying the Windows Update source isn't available? Or would it automatically use the Windows Update internet site instead of calling for a local cd or hard drive location for the needed files? With the cd install, the Windows Update file location for Internet Explorer files is the cd I can insert into the drive.
I can see why you would want this all neat and tidy (ie you know and your system knows where the IE setup files will be) --- my strategy for installing Windows 98 from CAB files already on the hard disk is for this very reason --- so any future updates can be run and the OS knows where to look for the Windows 98 second edition CD. So, it looks like we should do the same when installing IE ... what I will do is create a special directory in the Windows directory to hold the cab files, and install it from there if its needed. But before I do this can people please give feedback on my proposal.
I'm still concerned about the powrprof.dll errors, the inablility of my USB device drivers (printer, scanner), and most of my startup items to start after loading your pack then installing 98MP10. As well as the normal dropdown explorer window menu bar not appearing, just the Internet Explorer style icon menu with the back, forward stuff and the icons being XP style.

Now that MDGx has released another version of NUSB24.EXE I'll have another look into device driver issues.

The cabs on the hard drive would be very useful, its the way i do all my installs. The update files could then later on also be put in cab files alongside them (cut down on duplicates and shrink the installer size quite considerably). Until eventually all the update files get incorporated into the win9x setup directory cabs on the hard drive. The slipstream project shown that this could be done but once the proof of concept had been completed it stopped. My **** browser will never let me vote for this project, but anyways keep up the good work :thumbup

All the best