Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

@ Soporific: it's possible to localize autopatcher personalizing, or better, remove some updates in this pack?

Naturally AutoPatcher for windows 98 SE, if you give me permission, will contain all updates localized by me in italian and ufficial patches/components from microsoft.

Unfortunately, some updates aren't in my language and I've necessity to reduce the pack, also for my requirement.

That's fine, go ahead -- I'm sure lots will be happy there will be 2 languages available -- if you need some help with understanding what I've done, just ask.

I've started work on the essential 3rd party apps module that will contain things like 7-Zip which i consider to be an absolutely essential installation on any Windows OS. The question then is: what else should go in? The size of the app is quite important ... i'd say over 10 mb would disqualify it...

And I know its the bloody silly holiday season but no comments on MS Agent?

UPDATE: just finished coding 7-zip into autopatcher --- i'm now using LOCATE.COM which finds a file anywhere on the system, so autopatcher should be able to determine if:

1) you have 7-Zip installed anywhere on your system (ie if its not in the default location) and

2) if you have the latest version.

This might sound like a no brainer, but trying to do it all in DOS was not that easy. Anyway, i'm quite happy with the functionality !! B) Just thought i'd let you all know...

Edited by soporific

... no comments on MS Agent?
Sorry, mate, I'm not using it, so I don't need it.

But I'm only 1 person, I can't speak for anybody else.

Fair enough, its gonna be hard to speak for other people ... i suppose I'm after opinions about its usefulness -- if its a complete waste of coding space, then i definitely won't bother. It sounds like its one of those Apps for Newbies things that most people avoid like the plague ... but having said that, its not very big in size, and there's a hotfix for it as well

Licensed user of WinZip and WinRAR here, with WinRAR associated with 7-Zip files. So I hope the Autopatcher would be set to not install this unless a user manually runs the modules and specifically selects it.

I'm just too used to those 2 programs. And especially since I bought them I'd rather not have another utility installed in an updater program.

Just an opinion, but I think including programs would be beyond the scope of an operating system patcher. Might even be considered an annoyance if one wouldn't be able to click to run the whole Autopatcher without getting someone's personal favorite programs installed with it.

If anything, make those that want these things run the seperate modules to get them. Let most users just click "Go" and get all the OS, IE, WMP, Direct X, Optimization's. 3rd party programs should be the ones to need the extra choosing to get them installed.

Licensed user of WinZip and WinRAR here, with WinRAR associated with 7-Zip files. So I hope the Autopatcher would be set to not install this unless a user manually runs the modules and specifically selects it.

If anything, make those that want these things run the seperate modules to get them. Let most users just click "Go" and get all the OS, IE, WMP, Direct X, Optimization's. 3rd party programs should be the ones to need the extra choosing to get them installed.

Yep, I definitely agree with your approach here ... it is definitely an optional install, and can be easily avoided. I was going to include it as a default install but I'll bow to your comments about giving users the option to easily just install the essential OS file updates, and if people want it, they can set it to be installed through the options function.

There's 2 main menu pages in autopatcher and I've tried to keep them separate --- page 1 has all the essential hotfix updates, etc, and page 2 has all the optional stuff. So all these extra optional stuff will be tucked away in page 2 which you can just ignore if you don't ever want to visit it.

Edited by soporific

Soporific:

Just a final note: I followed your instruction and installed autopatch 1.5 and the same message appeared "bad command of file" I then closed the dos window and installed 1.6. I'm sorry to say that the same message appeared in window. One positive note - I opened the temp file and the autopatch components appeared. I could have installed manually, however I decided to wait on 1.7.

I was wondering if the tweak package is installed would the 386 updates be observable in the system.ini or would they be hidden?

bayou75

Thanks, still downloading; low bandwidth now, during holidays. One suggestion, though: could you somehow add an eD2k download link for the package? Personally I'm sick'n tired of all the advertising choking this world. Besides, the download page requires javascript enabled - which some people might not like - and a certain amount of time to wait until one can actually start the download. As I run eMule almost 24/7, it'd be much easier to add the package to the downloads list with a single click, than go through all that - let's say - trouble.

Thanks again and have a Merry Christmas (or what's left of it, considering timezones). :hello:

ed2k://|file|Autopatcher_for_Win98_v1.7_update.rar|32507679|4F018E44BE91794B841AD9D28B6D7B2A|

ed2k://|file|Autopatcher_for_Win98se_v1.7_Full.exe|207043044|E727A0593ACC10520AEB3442191DDFA6|

Powershared on release

Edited by soporific

Soporific:

I was wondering if the tweak package is installed would the 386 updates be observable in the system.ini or would they be hidden

if you make a backup of your system files before running autopatcher and then compare them after, you'll be able to see the changes --- lines are added depending on which tweak is applied.

v1.7 full is available now on ED2K and in a few days on a public server

Edited by soporific

MediaFire is extremely unreliable. Me and a few others around here have been unable to get a 4MB file off of that host. eD2k may be a bit slow, but it's reliable enough, I got my copy of the Autopatcher just fine, although it took me some time as the queue was pretty full.