Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

If this project is a success, I'll be so grateful.

I tried downloading Autopatcher v1.5. I have a dial-up connection, so you'll appreciate that it's rather a big download (not complaining, by the way). However, my ISP cuts my connection every two hours, so so the ability to resume downloads is essential to me. Unfortunately, the server you uploaded Autopatcher to doesn't allow the resumption of partial downloads. The 30-40 MB I did manage to download were of course completely useless to me and I had to give up.

Next time, if you can, please upload the Autopatcher to a server that allows download-resumption.

Thanks for your persistence with the project.

Bristols if it is of any help i could put the file on emule for you, or you could try wget which will resume the download. If you have a pc with 512mb or above I could also compress it with a higher compression algorithm to reduce its filesize.

HTH

soperific,

I just saw the reason for that Internet Explorer information not showing in System Information after using the Autopatcher.

http://www.mdgx.com/ietoy.htm#CSF

Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 for Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE/NT4 SP6a/2000/ME MSInfo32 Errors IEINFO5.OCX 5.50.4918.1900 Fix:

Direct download [138 KB, English].

BUG: Microsoft System Information (MSINFO32.EXE) Internet Explorer Summary display is EMPTY if using Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE/NT4 SP6a/ME!

FIX: MUST use OLDer IEINFO5.OCX 5.50.4807.2300 from Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 instead!

See that? The MSINFO update did that. So on 9x we need to not update that from the version in IE6 SP1. Perhaps you can remove the update from the next version of Autopatcher?

Apparently the IEINFO5.OCX must be version 5.50.4807.2300 from IE6 SP1.

Edited by Eck

The exception being the Unofficial WMF update, which you should install after all of it as it will replace the Windows Me version with the patched 98SE GDI files (and you should let it replace the newer files when it asks.)
Could you please provide a link to where this update could be discussed? If the WMF update is critical, I'd like to have a way of having the WinME GDI files patched rather than downgrading to 98SE files, reason being the project I'm involved with needs the ME files for at least one module to work under Win98SE (as I wrote in this post).

soporific, everything sounds great so far. Haven't tried the package yet, gotta get myself a test machine, some spare time and the right mood, all at once. I'd have a few questions, though:

• Which exactly are the components of IE6 SP1 that are installed (or present in the package)? You may remember my old question regarding additional languages and all other stuff, from the '7 years later' thread;

• Will you include Visual C runtimes v6, v7.0, v7.1 and probably v8 (Visual C 2005) as well?

• Could you tighten things up a bit, so that string of extra operations wouldn't be necessary - I mean "install DUN 1.4 manually, install Gape's USP, install Autopatcher, install 98SE2ME full version, install yada-yada..." ? It'd be nice (and useful for many) to have it all in one shot - either in one package (yours) or at least to have the user put all separate packs together in one folder and go through all operations from a single script, be it a batch or whatever else. Personally I'd rather have it all in one package, like

1. Install Gape's USP............is set to INSTALL

2. Install Autopatcher....[m]..is set to INSTALL/FORCED

3. Install 98SE2ME................is set to INSTALL

and whatever else mentioned by users in the posts above. I hope you get the idea.

Looking forward to v1.7. Keep up the good work! :thumbup

1. Install Gape's USP............is set to INSTALL

2. Install Autopatcher....[m]..is set to INSTALL/FORCED

3. Install 98SE2ME................is set to INSTALL

and whatever else mentioned by users in the posts above. I hope you get the idea.

I'm excited about AutoPatcher98, but lemme understand:

it's just another unofficial update pack :boring: or -more interestingly- a cumulative installer of other (uSP, 98SE2ME, etc) packs ? :sneaky:

Twice, I tried to download 1.5 autopatcher on dialup ... both nights the server ran at 5600 bps up until a file size of about 15-17meg, then it dropped down to 500 bytes per second -- changing what starts out as a std overnight download, into a 90 hr download (argh) ...

this sounds like a great solution for keeping 98 alive (although I never used an "autopatcher" before, and I really like what gape did with his sp).

I'll try again tomorrow night.

wget produces this result (the index file is std root index "FileFactory - fast, simple and free! /n FileFactory lets you host files up to 300MB for free. etc")

post-79406-1165510618_thumb.png

Edited by Molecule

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=77218

There's the thread with the WMF links. I'm not sure whether the Windows Me update would work on 98SE, even with 98SE2ME installed.

The Autopatcher is not a collection of Service Packs. Reading the information would tell you that. There is no reason for soperific to include the entire 98SE Unofficial Service Pack within the program as the Autopatcher already includes just about all the updates in that pack plus a lot more.

Since the 98SE Unofficial Service Pack doesn't include Direct X, Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, or any updates newer than a couple of years ago we needed to install a heck of a lot of things one at a time before using the Service Pack and after using the Service Pack.

The Autopatcher eliminates all the hastling with updates. It includes just about all updated Windows components, Internet Explorer, etc, and you can choose to not install those you don't want.

My suggestion to install the 98SE Unofficial Service Pack first was because that pack includes a hastle free installation of Dialup Networking 1.4 that doesn't mess with Virtual Private Networking. When installing the Microsoft setup of Dialup Networking 1.4, it installs Virtual Private Networking and associated Networking drivers into the Network Properties. We then need to uninstall Virtual Private Networking from Add/Remove Windows Components and also delete the items associated with it from the Control Panel Network Settings applet. An unneeded hastle and eliminated if we install the 98SE Unofficial Service Pack.

So far no one has been able to figure out how Gape successfully provided, as he says, "components of Dialup Networking 1.4." But his is the best way to install it.

Gape's pack also tweaks a few settings and gives us the Windows 2000 Color Scheme, 256 Color Tray Icons, etc, etc. In all the Unofficial 98SE Service Pack as provided by Gape is the easiest way to get the whole thing tweaked up without doing it yourself.

There's no problem in using the Autopatcher after Gape's pack as the Autopatcher doesn't reinstall what it detects as being there already.

How hard is it to install the Service Pack, install Autopatcher, then install the latest 98SE2ME? Three things! And for those that want more there are the other available packages like 98SE2XP, Kernel Update Package, etc.

Personally I use Option 2 when running 98SE2ME. I've got other word processors and prefer to leave Notepad as it is and keep the general 98SE shell. If I wanted Windows Me I'd install it. I just want the updated 9x system files that 98SE2ME provides, not the change to the Windows Me shell or different boot screens. As nice as they are, I like the ugly Microsoft Windows 98 boot screen for reasons of nostalgia.

But I do use 98SE2XP and the WMP10 for 9x programs. Might as well have the improvments in WMP, etc.

First of all, thanks for the link.

Second, there's been some time since I replaced original 98SE gdi32.dll and msimg32.dll with the ME ones, as required by some Miranda IM modules in order to function on my 98SE system. If the 4.90.3000 build of gdi32.dll works, I see no reason why 4.90.3003 wouldn't. Will test it these days anyway.

Third - different people, different needs. Personally I thought that as long as the Autopatcher aims to collecting most (if not all) updates into one big package, it might as well add those improvements found in Gape's pack as well as those in 98SE2ME.

Of course, there have been complaints about the package size, but then there's the second possibility: just have a script that checks for the presence of USP and/or 98SE2ME (and possibly others, such as 98SE2XP) in the same folder and present the user with the choice of automating all the installs in one click. Call me lazy. :D

That's what the Autopatcher does. It checks for the presence of the same stuff it includes and skips over things that are already installed. It's just redundant for the Gape pack to be there because the Autopatcher includes what's in it for the most part already. It's just the unusually programed tweaks and updates (like Dialup Networking, etc) that make me want to install Gape's pack first. Don't REALLY need it. I just like some stuff it does.

As far as the Unofficial WMF for ME working on 98SE, you could try to run it and see what happens. If it runs and updates the files you're all set. If it complains that this isn't Windows Me, you could probably just apply the 98SE version then extract the specific files you need from the ME version and apply them manually from an F8 Command Prompt Only startup.

That way you'd get the proper registry entries and whatever else is in the fix, but wind up with the Windows Me versions after you replace what I think is just 2 files.

Remember, when running the 98SE version, say no to keeping newer file versions when Windows asks. That way the whole update is installed properly. After rebooting (or prepared ahead of time) you can then extract the 2 files from the Me version to a folder on the root of the drive and just reboot to the command prompt and copy them to the System folder, saying yes to overwrite the files.

It's just redundant for the Gape pack to be there because the Autopatcher includes what's in it for the most part already. It's just the unusually programed tweaks and updates (like Dialup Networking, etc) that make me want to install Gape's pack first. Don't REALLY need it. I just like some stuff it does.

As far as the Unofficial WMF for ME working on 98SE, you could try to run it and see what happens.

It's the "unusual tweaks and updates" that I was thinking about, when mentioning Gape's pack. DUN 1.4 is needed by other updates or upgrades (such as IE6 SP1 if I'm not mistaken) and I always install it after a vanilla 98SE setup.

As for the ME GDI updates, curious as I am I manually extracted the files and ran the inf, which properly installed the two files. So far I haven't noticed any issue, except for the old accumulative effect on transparent pictures which is unavoidable.

Next time, if you can, please upload the Autopatcher to a server that allows download-resumption.

Yep, will try to get a better server ... I am an emule junkie so I may offer it on the ED2K network ...

• Which exactly are the components of IE6 SP1 that are installed (or present in the package)? You may remember my old question regarding additional languages and all other stuff, from the '7 years later' thread;

IE6 module has the following items in it. Sorry for just posting the code, but i'm a busy boy

@ECHO OFF

:: Internet Explorer 6.0 sp1 module ver 1.50.02

<snip>

:: Title app modules go here.

:IE6sp1
SET TRACK=IE6sp1
SET TITLE=Internet Explorer 6 sp1
SET PARTH=Files\IE6sp1
SET FILES=IE6SETUP.EXE
SET ARGUS=/Q:A /R:N
SET CHECK=Active Setup\Installed Components\{0fde1f56-0d59-4fd7-9624-e3df6b419d0f}
SET CHEC2=6,0,2800,1106
SET USECH=REG2
%COMSPEC% /E:2048 /C "%LOCATE%\code\MainCode.bat" DIALOG1
IF EXIST "%PATHZ%\@_GoBoot.tra" goto BootNow

:: Hotfix modules go here.
:: empty labels are to all be filled once they have been checked.

:q322656
:: confirmed NO reboot
SET ABOOT=N
SET TRACK=q322656
SET TITLE=Msinfo32.exe causes an Access Denied error in Internet Explorer
SET FILES=q322656.exe
SET CHECK=Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
SET CHEC2=Q322656
SET USECH=REG2

:q329115
:: confirmed reboot with update completed msg
SET ABOOT=D
SET TRACK=q329115
SET TITLE=Hotfix for Certificate Validation Flaw Vulnerability
SET FILES=q329115.exe
SET CHECK=Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Updates\W98\UPD329115
SET USECH=REG1

:kb816362
SET ABOOT=N
SET TRACK=kb816362
SET TITLE=Hotfix for Bug in Mshta.exe With Multiple Modal Dialog Boxes
SET FILES=kb816362.exe
SET CHECK=%windir%\system\mshta.exe
SET CHEC2=6.0.2800.1182
SET USECH=FILC

:kb824220
:: also puts the inf to %windir%\inf\Q824220
SET ABOOT=N
SET TRACK=kb824220
SET TITLE=Hotfix for Images Not Appearing in some Web Pages in IE 6 sp1
SET FILES=kb824220.exe
SET CHEC2=MinorVersion
SET CHEC3=Q824220
SET USECH=REG3

:kb834158
SET ABOOT=N
SET TRACK=kb834158
SET TITLE=Hotfix for Bug in Web Page Printing Orientation
SET FILES=kb834158.exe
SET CHECK=%windir%\system\MSHTML.DLL
SET CHEC2=6.0.2800.1443
SET USECH=FILC

:kb870669
SET ABOOT=N
SET GONUM=1REG
SET TRACK=kb870669
SET TITLE=Hotfix for vulnerability in ADOB Stream in IE
SET FILES=kb870669.reg
SET CHECK=Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{00000566-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}
SET CHEC2=00000400
SET USECH=REG2

:kb886677
:: confirmed reboot with NO update completed msg
SET ABOOT=N
SET GONUM=1EXE
SET TRACK=kb886677
SET TITLE=Unofficial Hotfix for DBCS Corruption in MLANG.DLL
SET FILES=kb886677.exe
SET CHECK=%windir%\system\mlang.dll
SET CHEC2=6.0.2800.1599
SET USECH=FILC

:kb888113
:: confirmed reboot with NO update completed msg
SET ABOOT=N
SET GONUM=1EXE
SET TRACK=kb888113
SET TITLE=Hotfix for Hyperlink Object Library Vulnerability
SET FILES=kb888113.exe
SET CHECK=%windir%\INF\QFE\W98\888113UN.INF
SET CHEC2=
SET USECH=FILE

:kb893627
SET ABOOT=N
SET TRACK=kb893627
SET TITLE=Hotfix for Bug with Group Policies Not Applied in IE6sp1
SET FILES=kb893627.exe
SET CHECK=%windir%\system\IEDKCS32.DLL
SET CHEC2=16.0.2800.1500
SET USECH=FILC
SET USEDP=none

:kb896156
SET ABOOT=N
SET TRACK=kb896156
SET TITLE=Hotfix for bug when removing an HTML element from a Web page
SET FILES=kb896156.exe
SET USECH=FILC
SET CHECK=%windir%\system\mshtmled.dll
SET CHEC2=6.0.2800.1501
SET USEDP=none

:kb891781
SET ABOOT=N
SET TRACK=kb891781
SET TITLE=Hotfix for DHTML ActiveX Control Vulnerability
SET FILES=kb891781.exe
SET CHEC2=MinorVersion
SET CHEC3=Q891781
SET USECH=REG3

:kb905495
:: old check: SET CHECK=%windir%\INF\Q905495.INF
SET ABOOT=N
SET TRACK=kb905495
SET TITLE=Hotfix for Vulnerability in the Windows FTP Client
SET FILES=kb905495.exe
SET CHECK=%windir%\system\Msieftp.dll
SET CHEC2=5.50.4956.500
SET USECH=FILC

:kb908519
SET ABOOT=N
SET TRACK=kb908519
SET TITLE=Hotfix for vulnerability in Embedded Web Fonts
SET FILES=kb908519.exe
SET CHECK=%windir%\INF\QFE\W98\kb908519.INF
SET USECH=FILE

:kb911567
SET ABOOT=D
SET GONUM=2EXE
SET TRACK=kb911567
SET TITLE=Unofficial Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6 sp1
SET FILES=kb837009.exe
SET FILE2=kb911567.exe
SET CHECK=%windir%\INF\Q911567.INF
SET USECH=FILE

:kb913433
SET ABOOT=N
SET GONUM=1EXE
SET TRACK=kb913433
SET TITLE=Hotfix for Vulnerabilities in Flash Player
SET FILES=kb913433.exe
SET CHECK=%windir%\SYSTEM\MACROMED\FLASH\flash.ocx
SET CHEC2=6.0.84.0
SET USECH=FILC

:kb918439
SET ABOOT=D
SET TRACK=kb918439
SET TITLE=Hotfix for Vulnerability in ART Image Rendering
SET FILES=kb918439.exe
SET CHECK=%windir%\system\JGDW400.DLL
SET CHEC2=106.0.0.0
SET USECH=FILC
IF EXIST "%PATHZ%\@_DoBoot.tra" goto BootNow

:kb916281
SET ABOOT=G
SET TRACK=kb916281
SET TITLE=Official Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 6 sp1
SET FILES=kb916281.exe
SET CHEC2=MinorVersion
SET CHEC3=Q916281
SET USECH=REG3

:kb918899
SET ABOOT=G
SET TRACK=kb918899
SET TITLE=Unofficial Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 6 sp1
SET FILES=kb918899.exe
SET CHEC2=MinorVersion
SET CHEC3=Q918899
SET USECH=REG3

:DXMedia6
SET ABOOT=D
SET TRACK=DXMedia6
SET TITLE=Unofficial DirectX Media Update for IE 6 sp1
SET FILES=DXMedia6.exe
SET CHECK=%windir%\system\proctexe.ocx
SET CHEC2=6.3.2800.1471
SET USECH=FILC
SET GONUM=1EXE

:HHUPD141
:: testing installing both HTML help updates together.
SET ABOOT=D
SET GONUM=2EXE
SET TRACK=HHUPD141
SET TITLE=Unofficial HTML Help 1.41 Update
SET FILES=kb896358.exe
SET FILE2=HHUPD141.exe
SET CHECK=%windir%\system\HHCTRL.OCX
SET CHEC2=5.2.3790.558
SET USECH=FILC

:RunHelp
SET ABOOT=N
SET GONUM=1EXE
SET TRACK=RunHelp
SET TITLE=Unofficial HTML Help Expired Security Certificate Update
SET FILES=RunHelp.exe
SET CHECK=%windir%\htmlhelp.htm
SET CHEC2=1,604
SET USECH=DIR2

:un924191
SET ABOOT=D
SET GONUM=1EXE
SET TRACK=un924191
SET FILES=un924191.exe
SET TITLE=Unofficial MSXML 3.0 SP7 Update
SET CHECK=%windir%\system\msxml3.dll
SET CHEC2=8.70.1113.0
SET USECH=FILC
SET USEDP=MDAC

:kb925486
SET ABOOT=G
SET TRACK=kb925486
SET FILES=kb925486.exe
SET TITLE=Hotfix for Vulnerability in Vector Markup Language
SET CHECK=%windrive%\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VGX\vgx.dll
SET CHEC2=6.0.2800.1580
SET USECH=FILC
SET USEDP=none
IF EXIST "%PATHZ%\@_DoBoot.tra" goto BootNow

<snip>

• Will you include Visual C runtimes v6, v7.0, v7.1 and probably v8 (Visual C 2005) as well?

Its coming in the next version ..

• Could you tighten things up a bit, so that string of extra operations wouldn't be necessary - I mean "install DUN 1.4 manually, install Gape's USP, install Autopatcher, install 98SE2ME full version, install yada-yada..." ?

I've already tried a couple of times to understand how Gape modified the DUN 1.4 update but no success. I won't say no to any help with this ...

re: will I include other unoffical service packs? The point of autopatcher (AP) is to provide a version for Windows 98se of a app like the AutoPatcher for Windows XP. The main thing is that its gotta be unattended. So any of the unoffical service packs that haven't got an unattended switch built in won't be included. Simple as that.

News on AP progress: Now that I've got an alpha of the Boot CD project out the door, I can resume work on AP. Feedback still has been quite sparse though....

PS - i am still going through all the recent posts and preparing answers to all questions --- stay tuned...

Edited by soporific

Feedback? Well, I just used Autopatcher again! (Yay!)

Unpluged the XP drive (so I can go back to it with no hastle) and installed 98SE.

Not taking my own advice, I didn't install Gape's pack. After all it is old and since Autopatcher contains nearly everything and no obsolete stuff I figured I try it.

Before Autopatcher -

Windows (well, that's needed).

Made the usual 386Enh changes in System.ini, Vcache, fixed VM size, Network Server, 4 digit date, Power always on.

W98 Resource Kit Full and System Policy Editor.

98 Plus! Pack with just the themes, screensavers, and Lose Your Marbles.

Via MB, USB drivers

IE6SP1

DotNet 1.1, 1.1 SP1, DotNet 2.0, 2.0 Security fix.

Direct X 9.0c with Software Rasterizer extracted to it. (Don't think I need the SR but who knows, can't hurt.)

ATI WDM and Catalyst 6.2 for 9x

ForceASPI 1.7

Dialup Networking 1.4, then uninstalled Virtual Private Networking and the VPN linked Network items.

Uninstalled CdPlayer. (Not useful with WMP there.)

WMP7.1 without Adaptec, WMP Bonus Pack without Audio Converter, WMEncoder 7.1, WMP9

Drivers for Via Ethernet, M-Audio Revo 5.1, Best Data External Serial V.92 Modem, Apollo USB Printer, HP Scanjet 3970.

Works Suite 2001 with only Works and Word2000, Works Suite 2005 with all except Word 2002. Office2000 SP2, Works 8.5 update.

Autopatcher, selecting to install the whole thing now.

After Autopatcher -

Web Folders update from your exe in the manual folder.

MDGx Unofficial IE 6 SP 1 Cumulative DLL update (superseeds 918899 which should be obsolete).

MDGxUnofficial 891711, MDGx Unofficial WMF update and his reg file which still didn't set them up so Windows Update thinks they're installed. (They uninstall the ones in the Autopatcher.)

MDGx 98SE2ME, 98SE2XP, and the WMP 10 for 9x.

System now screwed! (Well, it was then. I fixed it.)

What happened was I first noticed that although Display Properties shows the newer My Computer icon, only the old one remains on the desktop. That I have no idea how to fix. The only one to select it the new one but applying it doesn't change it from the original default 98SE My Computer desktop icon. I searched and found 3 Explorer.exe's on the system. The one in the System folder and one of MDGx's backup folders are identical versions, and one in another MDGx folder is a different version. The newer one is the one in the System folder. I didn't want to mess with it. I like the older one if no other icons are changed anyway. I have a Windows Me theme if I want to apply the color and newer icons.

Second, and really messed up, an error message about powerprof.dll appeared at startup. When I opened Control Panel I got another message and noticed only a single Toolbar with Windows XP icons on it. No Title Bar, just the XP icon bar. Weird. 98SE2XP hadn't given me any XP icons in the past, or messed with the toolbars, or caused errors.

Windows Media Player would open with an error message that -

"The file wmplayer.exe had a version number of 9.0.0.3250 where 9.0.0.2980 was expected. Windows Media Player is not installed properly and must be reinstalled. Do you want to install the Player from the Microsoft Web Site?"

Oy Vey!

I uninstalled the WMP 10 to 9x update and rebooted. WMP had same error. 98SE2XP would not uninstall with an error about not finding a file. So I reinstalled 98SE2XP and then I was able to uninstall it. I then uninstalled the Fraunhoffer WMP 10 Codec that Autopatcher had installed. Then I reinstalled WMP 9 on top of itself. Success! I then applied all the updates in the Autopatcher's Windows Media module except the WMP 10 Fraunhoffer codec.

Since I was meek I just installed the Cyberlink mp3 PowerPack Encoder (it does the same thing, and I bought it long ago). When I tried to play an mp3, WMP gave that error about not having the codec. So I quickly installed ZoneAlarm and plugged in the Ethernet cable. On line, WMP downloaded and installed the normal Advanced Fraunhoffer mp3 codec and mp3's played fine.

The rest is not any matter. Just the rest of my stuff!

Okay. I don't know what's wrong but I think I should be seeing the newer My Computer icon, as 98SE2ME installs that and it DOES appear in Display Properties. Just not on my desktop. Previously, when I had been installing Gape's pack first, all his icons remained. When I ran the first Alpha Autopatcher I didn't install Gape's pack first and your small version of 98SE2ME just changed the My Computer icon correctly to the new one. THIS time, 98SE2ME in the Autopatcher didn't install ANYTHING. And, the latest MDGx 98SE2ME left the original icons on the desktop but the new My Computer icon in Display Properties.

Secondly, I haven't had any problem with the 98SE2XP before. And in the last several months there has been no problem with the WMP10 for 98SE either. Could the WMP problem be due to one of the Microsoft updates being applied before installing the WMP 10 thing? And also, that mp3 codec perhaps shouldn't have been installed before installing 98SE2XP or the WMP 10 update as those install the same codec.

I can only suggest there that you don't include the mp3 codec in the Autopatcher. It's easy enough to install from a seperate download and could possibly interfere with the other 2 packages.

The good news so far is I haven't had that Error loading Device IOS Real Mode Memory Allocation Failed message yet. Yet. I'm holding my breath.

Feedback? Well, I just used Autopatcher again! (Yay!)
very comprehensive feedback, thank you very much
Autopatcher, selecting to install the whole thing now.

After Autopatcher - [then]Web Folders update from your exe in the manual folder.

but what was your system like at THIS point? Because you say your system was screwed at the end ... then we would be testing your particular system with all the unofficial update packs and we can't really know which one is causing fuss. Can we really make many conclusions with these results? ... but we can still make some. And that is that I can't see the connection between the problems you've reported (esp. the one about powerprof.dll --- that file does not exist within any file in the autopatcher package) and autopatcher functioning ... i'm not saying there isn't, just that it doesn't really help ...

What I did to test autopatcher (AP) was to try it out on a clean vanilla install of Windows 98se, but I also tried it out after installing all the service packs, which helped pin down what was missing from AP. But really, the most AUTHENTIC way would be to install all the official updates from MS you want to, and then try autopatcher. Maybe make a report before and after running AP ...

The other thing to remember is the AP is just that an AUTO patcher ... its just installing the updates listed, in only a few places is there any modifications to the official method of installation. So if there's a bung update included in AP we need to root them out --- I've already fixed the problem with installing the q322656 hotfix, because it was pointed out to me... I've simply packaged the proper file and its installed after the official one.

But all feedback is good so thanks a million, you're the best!!

I can only suggest there that you don't include the mp3 codec in the Autopatcher.
I'll move it from automatic to optional install and I won't make it default when you choose to fully autopatch. Problem fixed, so its staying in! :) -- this is the sort of feedback we need, little things like moving the XP codec from automatic to optional will make a big difference for some. Please keep the suggestions coming...
I'm excited about AutoPatcher98, but lemme understand:

it's just another unofficial update pack :boring: or -more interestingly- a cumulative installer of other (uSP, 98SE2ME, etc) packs ? :sneaky:

Just think autopatcher for Windows XP and you'll get the idea of what it wants to be when it grows up.

Edited by soporific

Eck:

AFAIK, the official explorer.exe is in %windir% only (usually C:\Windows). I suggest you remove any other copies of it from your system (rename or delete them) and only place the appropriate one (the one with the newer icons, if that's what you want) directly in the Windows folder (%windir%). You'll have to do that in DOS mode.

q308567: Hotfix for Vulnerability in .ASF Processor in WMP
This has been removed from AP
q238453: Hotfix for Spoofed Route Pointer Vulnerability

q240075: USB Devices May Not Work in Windows 98 Second Edition

q323455: Directory Services Client Update for Windows 98

These should already have been fixed. Please check these are right when v1.7 is released.
kb917344: Hotfix for Vulnerability in Microsoft JScript

This should be right already:

- checks for %windir%\system\jscript.dll ver 5.6.0.8831 - sometimes I pick the wrong file to check for but I'm very very sure I got the right file this time. Please check the file version of jscript.dll on your system and report back.

qfechkup: the Update Information Tool

> q243199: Hotfix for bug in Win98se with NDIS Intermediate Drivers

- both have now been fixed
dun14-se: Dial-Up Networking 1.4 for Windows 98se
This is still outstanding
Hope that helps ! :)
Of course!