A few questions about Registry Tweaks from a NOOB.

Triel

I have Reg Tweaks that I obtained from someone else's WPI (of a unknown version). The registries are formated as follows

REGEDIT /S %CDROM%\INSTALL\Reg/03/01.reg

The new Sample Config for version 5.3 lists them as follows

%CDROM%\INSTALL\REG\03\01.reg

The question here is should the forward slash and back slash be used in the same manner for version 5.3 or should I stick with the back slash for all registry edits?

Also, Is it required to put the "REGEDIT /S" before the reg edit inorder to makie it silent?

Edited by Triel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yup! Thaz rite!

/ for switches and \ in path statements.

Always been that way.

Always leave a space before and after a switch (/x), but never before or after a \ in a path statement.

Cheers!

Andromeda43 B)

Geeeeezzzzz! :blushing:

Something just hit me....like a ton of bricks.

If the tweaks have already been put into a xxxx.reg file, you only need to click on the file to run it.

All that other stuff is BS.

I have files like that, that peeps can download, and all they have to do is click on them after the download, to run them and perform the tweak. It don't get no easier than that.

B)

but for unattended installations, it's better to run a script to import your tweaks automatically rather than click on them all one at a time.

I'm sorry, I guess I'm going blind.

Was "Unattended" ever mentioned in Triel's post?

I thought he was asking how to run a registry editing script which he got from someone else. (???) NO?

If the scripts are multiple (more than one) and something to be run more than once,

like the ones I run when tuning up a customer's PC, then they can be combined

into one larger file.

I'm trying to educate a little bit here and give some options....

Not Dictate how anyone has to do anything.

Do it however works best for you.

Just don't put forward slashes where backslashes should go. ;)

Good Luck,

Andromeda43 B)

Hey all,

Ok, since this post was recently hit and I saw something that caught my eye, I was hoping that I could play on some generosity....

speaking of reg tweaks and "unattended"...I've been looking over the forums and haven't a satisfactory (to an a**-backwards n00b) answer to the following questions.

I made a tweaks.reg file, compiled from other ppl's tweaks, for an unattended install......now what the heck do i do with the file? i know that i need some lines in a .cmd file; i already have a bootlogo.cmd file for the boot screen. do i, and more importantly what, add to get the tweaks.reg file going? on top of that, the unattended guide kicked *** on how to create the file, but it neglects to mention 1) where i put the file in my install cd and 2) what sort of code/commands i need to get it done? do i put something in my winnt.sif file, which i've put (hopefully correct?).....i've made an educated guess that...

[GuiRunOnce]

%systemdrive%\install\tweaks.reg (%systemdrive%\install as a folder equates to __________ in my distribution folder tree?)

bootlogo.cmd (but that needs a direction, and i don't know which folder to put that file in) :blushing:

Help me Obi Wan, you're my only hope!

Edited by irishcommie

If you read the Guide carefully you'll see it did not neglect to tell you exactly where here:

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/17/

A typical (but not the only) method for importing HKLM tweaks is a batch file launched from [GuiRunOnce].
In order to import the HKCU tweaks at T-12 you need to place the HKCU.reg file into the root of the $OEM$ folder and make sure the cmdlines.txt contains the following text:

[Commands]"REGEDIT /S hkcu.reg"

:wacko: